[REMOVE ADS]

Article on new soul artists from today's NY Times Magazine

Good story here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/14/ma...1&ref=magazine

I have Mayer Hawthorne's and the Kings Go Forth albums, both excellent. I heard Eli "Paperboy" Reed at the record store, it's good. I'm debating on getting it. I haven't heard Aloe Blacc.

It seems to me that classic soul fans are the harshest of critics, probably why newbies have a tough time breaking in as opposed to rock and country. And as this story says, they're going to have to sell more than 15,000 and 40,000 albums [[the sales of the Kings Go Forth and Hawthorne records, respectively) if the genre wants to get popular again.

Anyway, this is a good story and some of the artists mentioned are truly excellent.

Hello, tsull1!

Thanks for posting the Times article from today's paper.

I think classic soul fans are the "harshest" of critics because there is a tendency today to take many of today's artists with any "hint" of an "old, classic soul sound"--and really, really hype them. This is not to "discount" the "ears of today;" but many of us "over 50s" were literally SURROUNDED by great music 24-7 some 35-50 years ago--and we kinda feel that we "innately" know what "would've made it"...and what would've been "trash bin" fodder.

I can't speak to some of the artists mentioned in the article--but I can speak to Mayer Hawthorne's album, and I've heard Eli "Paperboy" Reed's two albums and the Aloe Blacc release.

Here's a copy of my "mini-review" [[rated it 1 star--out of 5) of Hawthorne's album that I posted on iTunes on 2/28/10:

"Many of these 'reviews' are suspect, as many are written prior to the album's release date of Sept. 8th--could there be a 'hype team' at work here?

"I just heard some of this at my local Barnes & Noble--but really couldn't 'hear it,' so when I got home I looked up the album and played the samples.

"This is pretty bad. Poor ol' Mayer is terribly out of tune [[downright flat!) on several of the tracks--and SO ARE THE INSTRUMENTS, at some points [[and I just listened to the samples!). The concept is nice; but it's not executed well as far as overall musicianship.

"A lot of people want to say 'Motown throwback!,' or 'real 60s flashback!'--but Berry Gordy, Curtis Mayfield, Al Bell, Jim Stewart, or any host of producers of R&B/Soul music back then would've NEVER released anything like this on their labels."

Of course, "beauty is in the 'ear' of the beholder," so if it's some people's cup of tea, hey, so be it. But--it would be very hard for me to imagine any cut on Hawthorne's album getting airplay "back-in-da-day."

Now apparently, if you look at the bulk of the iTunes reviews on his album--quite obviously, I'm in the minority. But--I'm DEFINITELY not hearing what others seem to be claiming...and my ears have been attuned across many genres of music [[R&B/Soul, Latin, Rock, Jazz, Folk, Reggae, et. al.) for over 50 years. I'm questioning how many "reviewers" have been out there as long.

Thanks again, though for posting the article!

[[And PLEASE--don't take this in any way as a "knock" on YOUR tastes--I'm DAMNED-SURE not THAT arrogant!--LOL!!!)

Charles

Good reply, cdii, and I agree somewhat with your review on Mayer's album. I actually like it, but also have problems with it, like almost completly stealing the lyrics of "I Wish It Would Rain" and "You Make Me Feel Brand New" on two different tunes. I like listening to it, but it doesn't blow me away.

I saw a live YouTube clip of him at some festival and he was brutally out of tune, so I'm wondering how much help he got in the studio with his voice. But I do like some songs off that album, particuarly "Maker Her Mine."

As for Paperboy Reed, I liked some of the tunes I heard at the record store. I'm yet to pull the trigger on it and might wait for it to go used. He seems to be trying to hard. His quip about not liking Motown in the article also makes me cringe a little. Dude, if you proclaim to be a soul singer, you better honor Motown.

The best of these groups/singers by far are Kings Go Forth. I bought their album a few months ago and simply love it. Very talented, real full sound, some brass, great singing. I think that's really an outstanding group.

Another semi-new group of course are Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, whom I've seen in an incredible concert. I would definitely put her and her group way up there as far as new artists. Then again, both Sharon and Howling Wolf [[lead singing of Kings Go Forth) are over 50 and they understand music and the work that goes into it.

I'm trying not to get to the point where I'm just dismissing new groups because they're new and be more accepting. I still think Mayer Hawthorne's record is worth a buy, at least used; same with Eli Paperboy Reed. Kings Go Forth and Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings are can't miss, in my opinion.

A very good critique of that story from the fabulous "Soul-Sides" blog. Scroll down to the Ruffin picture.

http://soul-sides.com/

I'm thrilled that a lot of young folk are hearing something in the music we knew and know, loved and still love. Let them get that it is not just imitation, tribute, karaoke and pastiche. It wasn't about how you looked or sounded on the ninety-third costume change on the video. It was a single [[albeit with later enhancements) musical event - with the accent on musical. The musicians were creating in real time - even if they were reading the fly shit - the singers knew from intervals and phrasing. They didn't just make 'r&b' or 'soul' noises, they were going for broke. If they could still stand up unaided, or they were thinking of repairing to the bar, when that would mean breaking the groove, there was one more take in them.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and a Ford with a Jaguar badge on it will pass in the golf club car park, but real is real.

Sharon got it. Amy got it Having it isn't all. Knowing where to get what you need to do it and make it last brings us back to musicians - real live musicians.

I'll shut up now. I do really mean to be encouraging.