[REMOVE ADS]

Barry Manilow Sings Live Duet With Dead Whitney Houston Live on THE VIEW this morning

Barry Manilow sings live duet with dead Whitney Houston on ‘The View’
    Article by: THE WRAP October 28, 2014 - 3:20 PM

The powerful voice of Whitney Houston was brought back to life on Tuesday morning's “The View” during a live performance from Barry Manilow.

Using Houston's original vocals from her song “I Believe In You And Me,” Manilow re-recorded the song with his voice entwined with the late singer's.

Manilow's new album, “My Dream Duets,” has the singer-songwriter teaming with a slew of other deceased musicians, including John Denver, Marilyn Monroe, Sammy Davis Jr., Dusty Springfield, Andy Williams, Louis Armstrong and Judy Garland.

http://www.startribune.com/entertain...280676072.html

Barry sounds really different...must be the plastic surgery

Nah, he's getting older.
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 10-30-2014 at 05:07 PM.

smark21 Guest
    What a morbid project.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    What a morbid project.
    Agreed! I do not like this practice at all.

I did not see this broadcast so I don't have an opinion on it. But in general, I don't care for entire albums of duets. If I buy a CD by someone I like, I want to hear that person, not everyone else under the sun.

It also troubles me that we now have three CDs out there by beloved artists in their 70s [[Barbra and Dionne being the other two) and they are paired with a whole boatload of people with whom they have little or nothing in common. One can only assume that these veterans are trying to prolong their careers and their visibility by taking advantage of the popularity of the younger folks. It might be good marketing but something about it screams desperation.

However, I just read a great review on the Tony Bennett/Lady Gaga CD. On the surface that would appear to be an even more bizarre pairing, but it looks like it may work. Guess that is the exception to the rule.

Smokey also has a duets album out , which topped at number one.

Manilow is only doing what other seasoned singers do - duets, standards and re-makes of their hits.

Except, he is doing it with dead people.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post

Manilow is only doing what other seasoned singers do - duets, standards and re-makes of their hits.

I saw the View appearance and I thought it to be pretty good. Whitney seem to be the most current deceased singer that Barry has on the cd. The good thing about the decease artist that his singing with allow a new generation to learn about artist such as Judy Garland or Louis Armstrong. It also present a bit of a throw back for the seniors
    Again I enjoyed the performance.

On the Barbra cd the duet with John Legend is the highlight for me!

He should go on a 'Walking Dead Tour' concert series.

I was listening to some of Barry's album while driving. His singing with Judy Garland sounds more like an intrusion than a duet.

I was also looking forward to the Dionne Warwick/Gladys Knight duet of I'll Never Fall In Love Again. It is a dream team pairing, but I was disappointed when I listened to it. Something about it fails to bring out the best in these two giants of the music industry.
    It must be the arrangement , or mixing or something. There voices still sound great.

I was listening to some of Barry's album while driving. His singing with Judy Garland sounds more like an intrusion than a duet.

I was also looking forward to the Dionne Warwick/Gladys Knight duet of I'll Never Fall In Love Again. It is a dream team pairing, but I was disappointed when I listened to it. Something about it fails to bring out the best in these two giants of the music industry.
    It must be the arrangement , or mixing or something. There voices still sound great.
    I liked the Gladys / Dionne duet, but it was already released back in 2006 on Dionne's MY FRIENDS AND ME cd. In fact, three of the duets on her new cd are repeats from that project.

I just listened to it again, and I am still not lovin' it. It may be that I liked the original so much and feel it cant be improved. But I like both artists a lot and with a few more listens, it will grow on me.

I didn't get Dionne's last duets album and wasn't aware that there were repeats on this new album

Barry Manilow has had so much surgery he look like a young Cloris Leachman.

Roberta