[REMOVE ADS]

Whitney houston's greatest live performances available nov. 10

Even though it was not exactly live, I bet her rendition of the Star Spangled Banner makes the cut.

One of my favorite live performances of Whitney's........ That girl was incredible! At the height of her powers, she had no peers.

Does anyone have ideas to offer as to why Whitney Houston's legacy is nowhere near that of Michael Jackson?

She had a better voice I believe and her life, while not one to model, was not as bizarre as his.

smark21 Guest
    She had a great voice, but too much of her material was bland and middle of the road and not worthy of her talent, even if the songs were popular in its time. She wasn't an all around entertainer--her shows weren't must sees as she wasn't much of a dancer and she didn't break any new ground with stage presentation. And her music and videos didn't push buttons like Michael did. She was at her most interesting in the late 90s when her voice was still in good shape but her material had a bit of edge, she was using drugs but could still perform and there was some anger and toughness in her persona.

marv2 thanx for posting that video, always loved that song and never saw this before. Great answer smark21.

For the record, Whitney Houston's legacy is massive!
    Just about every Pop and R&B female vocalist that has come on the scene since the late 80s has been influenced by her! She is the Gold Standard.........!

I don't know if it's fair to compare Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston in terms of posthumous success. They were both very different. One being that Michael Jackson lived a much, much more public and controversial life. His branding/image that he created is much more powerful and significant...think of the moon walk, crotch grabbing, diamond gloves, white socks, dancing, biggest selling album of all time, etc. With Whitney, her most identifiable trademark was/is her voice. Male performers still to this day also receive way more recognition and accoloades than female performers.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Male performers still to this day also receive way more recognition and accoloades than female performers.
    I'm not sure that too many male R&B/Soul singers would agree with you. In the last few decades of the Diva there are no male counterparts for artists like Whitney, Mariah, Janet, Beyonce, Toni Braxton, Alicia Keys, Mary J. Blige and Rihanna. Maxwell, R. Kelly and Usher are the only male R&B/Soul singers who have achieved consistent commercial success on par with these female singers.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    I'm not sure that too many male R&B/Soul singers would agree with you. In the last few decades of the Diva there are no male counterparts for artists like Whitney, Mariah, Janet, Beyonce, Toni Braxton, Alicia Keys, Mary J. Blige and Rihanna. Maxwell, R. Kelly and Usher are the only male R&B/Soul singers who have achieved consistent commercial success on par with these female singers.
    Good points as well Guy.