[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    If I'm not mistaken, Baby It's Me and Ross 78 are her only two solo studio albums not to have been remastered and/or have expanded editions. I'm perplexed why UMG couldn't just let these two albums be released on CD based on that fact alone.

The past 20 years or so I haven't been her biggest fan and supporter but after all it is DIANA ROSS.

And for that reason, if no other, The Supremes Expanded Editions should be completed.

WORKIN' OVERTIME
    FORCE BEHIND THE POWER
    TAKE ME HIGHER.....

How about LADY SINGS THE BLUES studio tracks?

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    WORKIN' OVERTIME
    FORCE BEHIND THE POWER
    TAKE ME HIGHER.....

How about LADY SINGS THE BLUES studio tracks?
    I was thinking more along the lines of her her 70s Motown albums and those that were singles-oriented. I don't think any of her solo albums from the 90s have been reissued.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    I was thinking more along the lines of her her 70s Motown albums and those that were singles-oriented. I don't think any of her solo albums from the 90s have been reissued.
    I think there are some licensing hoops to go through with Paramount for Lady Sings the Blues.

I would gladly pay up to $40.00 for Motown Select's Expanded releases on CD. I'm not made of money by any stretch, but, hey, it's Motown -- and, to me, Motown is worth it. As already mentioned above, the printout of the digital booklet for Diana's "Baby It's Me" is not of the highest quality. Unlike the digital booklet for The Supremes' "Funny Girl" which would only print in full-page 8 1/2" x 11" format, I was able to print "Baby It's Me's" booklet in supposedly CD-size format, although CD size would be approximately 5" x 5". The actual printout is more like 3" x 5" -- horizontal rather than square. I did my best to prepare an attractive-looking home-made CD package by using a clear, see-through DJ View Pack and a self-made color-coordinated track list incorporating word processing graphics, but, given the horizontal booklet.... Let's just say the overall appearance of the finished product looks amateurish rather than professional -- not at all like the high-quality Motown Select releases that we've come to know and love.. And, now that my friend who downloaded "BIM" and burned it to CD for me [[a CD which wouldn't play) has started working at his new job with crazy, inconsistent hours and hasn't been available, I still have no "BIM" CD-R to enjoy. Not a happy camper here. Color me pissed!!!!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 11-25-2014 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    a blip on the radar..LOL.. give it up already...everyone saw the standing Ovation last night at the AMAS from everyone in the contemporary music biz and Taylor Swift paying homage to Ross..she's on The Voice tonight and tomorrow..there's a 'blip' on the radar all right, but it isn't Diana Ross..sorry to negate the hate...ha ha ha
    I stand by what I say.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I would gladly pay up to $40.00 for Motown Select's Expanded releases on CD. I'm not made of money by any stretch, but, hey, it's Motown -- and, to me, Motown is worth it. As already mentioned above, the printout of the digital booklet for Diana's "Baby It's Me" is not of the highest quality. Unlike the digital booklet for The Supremes' "Funny Girl" which would only print in full-page 8 1/2" x 11" format, I was able to print "Baby It's Me's" booklet in supposedly CD-size format, although CD size would be approximately 5" x 5". The actual printout is more like 3" x 5" -- horizontal rather than square. I did my best to prepare an attractive-looking home-made CD package by using a clear, see-through DJ View Pack and a self-made color-coordinated track list incorporating word processing graphics, but, given the horizontal booklet.... Let's just say the overall appearance of the finished product looks amateurish rather than professional -- not at all like the high-quality Motown Select releases that we've come to know and love.. And, now that my friend who downloaded "BIM" and burned it to CD for me [[a CD which wouldn't play) has started working at his new job with crazy, inconsistent hours and hasn't been available, I still have no "BIM" CD-R to enjoy. Not a happy camper here. Color me pissed!!!!
    If your friend used your computer and iTunes account, why not just try burning your own CD-R?

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    I think there are some licensing hoops to go through with Paramount for Lady Sings the Blues.
    Well, we did get Blue. I really wouldn't be interested in LSTB at this point, or any of her LIVE albums until we get all her singles-oriented studio albums remastered and released on CD.

My comment was primarily to support releasing BIM and Ross 78 on CD as those are, more or less, the only 2 singles-oriented 70s solo albums, of Diana's, that have not been remastered or expanded.

I think it's interesting that a lot of the negative comments about digital-only releases [[not just here) take the form of "Well, I'll just get it [[illegally) from someone else". Yes, the record companies know that - that's why the situation is the way it is. I think in just a few years we'll be living in a streaming-only media world and that there won't even be digital files to download. Typically you'll pay for access to streaming media of all kinds but never own anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    I think it's interesting that a lot of the negative comments about digital-only releases [[not just here) take the form of "Well, I'll just get it [[illegally) from someone else". Yes, the record companies know that - that's why the situation is the way it is. I think in just a few years we'll be living in a streaming-only media world and that there won't even be digital files to download. Typically you'll pay for access to streaming media of all kinds but never own anything.
    I can certainly see that happening for that reason, but I don't think downloads are going away. And, with the rise of vinyl sales, it is so easy for one person to do a quality needledrop that sounds equal to, or superior to whatever the labels can produce, complete with artwork and liner note, and ripping information, to upload it just once, and have everyone in the world to get at it.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I stand by what I say.
    I do get what you're saying. Madonna is a good example for me. A lot of my friends are obsessed with her [[worse than any Diana Ross fan if you can believe it) and defend her at no cost despite the fact that she is the most ungracious, self-centered B-word I have encountered in the business. I stopped buying her records a decade ago.

Anywhoo, if she's in the news or online or on tour, I simply look away because I don't care. In that regard, she is a blip on the radar to me even if she's on the Grammys or sitting down for an interview on a popular talk show. I don't engage in discussions on chat boards or social media about her because I simply don't care and I've found her fans ruthless when it comes to ANY criticism of her. YES, it drives me batty to log into Facebook and see countless postings every time she shares something "controversial" on Instagram and I scoot right on by.

let's just say that someone unaware of The Voice, the American Music Awards, Facebook and Twitter,etc probably isn't the most reliable person to comment on pop culture in 2014..lol

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    Ejluther, if you're referring to me, you misunderstood. I purchased my download of "Baby It's Me [[Expanded)" from Itunes on my PC. [[Strangely, it wasn't even available on Amazon where I typically do all of my shopping.) My neighbor/friend took it from there. He completed the download process and burned it to CD for me on my PC. I would never screw Motown by trying to get a free download from somebody else. Heck, I wouldn't even know how! Just wanted to make it clear that I purchased my copy from Itunes like everybody else. - Gary
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 11-25-2014 at 10:39 PM.

I've mentioned this on other posts on this site before in the past. Diana originally started off doing a series of very much more jazz orientated takes of some of the material that comprised LSTB, but Berry Gordy thought it sounded too much like Billie Holiday and got her to put more of a contemporary swing to her vocals. There must be existing tapes, because I purchased a copy of the acetates on eBay a good decade ago. What a fantastic "extra" this would be to a vocals only expanded version of LSTB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    let's just say that someone unaware of The Voice, the American Music Awards, Facebook and Twitter,etc probably isn't the most reliable person to comment on pop culture in 2014..lol
    Not true. I listen to the current pop music. Do you?

Ejluther, if you're referring to me, you misunderstood. I purchased my download of "Baby It's Me [[Expanded)" from Itunes on my PC. [[Strangely, it wasn't even available on Amazon where I typically do all of my shopping.) My neighbor/friend took it from there. He completed the download process and burned it to CD for me on my PC. I would never screw Motown by trying to get a free download from somebody else. Heck, I wouldn't even know how! Just wanted to make it clear that I purchased my copy from Itunes like everybody else. - Gary
    In that case, why can't you sit down, open iTunes, and try it yourself? You can read, so...I know iTunes isn't a very user-friendly program, but there is a help section.

In that case, why can't you sit down, open iTunes, and try it yourself? You can read, so...I know iTunes isn't a very user-friendly program, but there is a help section.
    Soulster, I've gotta ask -- What is this KICK you're on, constantly pushin' downloads down our throats? Do you get a kick-back or some kind of a commission for every CD fan that you convert to downloads? Jesus! Just because you love downloads doesn't mean that everybody else does. And just because you happen to have a technical mind and are good at that stuff doesn't mean that everybody else is. I've already explained to you at least twice already that I'm just not computer savvy, nor do I particularly care to be. I had reluctantly started to accept the fact that we're stuck having to settle for downloads instead of CD's. In fact, I even bought 20 of Motown's and was starting to feel somewhat good about it as long as my friend helped me. But now that some of my download-to-CD transfers have skips, and especially the new "Baby It's Me" CD transfer which won't even play, I've had it! And the more you pressure me and insult me with remarks like "You can read!", suggesting that I just sit down and follow the instructions, the more I'm learning to hate downloads and the techmical crap that goes along with it. In fact, I resent having to jump through hoops and be intimidated and embarrassed just to be able to get my favorite music which I'm already paying good money for. I don't need to be preached to. Kindly lay off. Surround yourself in a shower of downloads if you like, but quit badgering us about it. PLEASE!!! A little of that has already gone a long, long way! You're only adding insult to injury!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 11-26-2014 at 06:46 AM.

Soulster, I've gotta ask -- What is this KICK you're on, constantly pushin' downloads down our throats? Do you get a kick-back or some kind of a commission for every CD fan that you convert to downloads? Jesus! Just because you love downloads doesn't mean that everybody else does. And just because you happen to have a technical mind and are good at that stuff doesn't mean that everybody else is. I've already explained to you at least twice already that I'm just not computer savvy nor am I good at that stuff, nor do I particularly want to be. I had started to accept the fact that we're stuck having to settle for downloads [[I even bought 20 of Motown's and was starting to feel good about it as long as my friend helped me. But now that some of my download-to-CD transfers have skips, and especially the new "Baby It's Me" CD transfer won't even play, I've had it! The more you pressure me about it and the more you insult me about "just sitting down and read the instructions", the more I'm learning to hate downloads.
    No one is insulting you. No one is pressuring you. I simply made a suggestion. I understand that some people don't like change, and don't like being forced into change. What I have never understood is resisting change when it is inevitable. But, I can tell you that the reason you haven't sat down and tried burning your own CD-Rs is because you don't want to. And, one thing that annoys my in this world are people who refuse to make the effort to do anything for themselves.

There is a reason your CD is skipping. I don't know why because i'm not there and can't hear it. I can't play it. There could be several technical reasons for it, and none anyone could easily diagnose over a message board. But, it can be fixed if we knew the cause of the problem. The basic thing is to never leave them in direct sunlight, and always keep them in the case. Do not touch the playing surface with your fingers. Have you tried your CDs in other players? Maybe your CD player is starting to fail. CD players do die out. Maybe you just used bad blanks. Maybe your CD burner isn't up to snuff. Maybe your are burning the discs too fast or too slow. Maybe your hard drive is full. Id your friend burning the discs with disc at once or track at once? I've burned literally thousands of CD-Rs, so I know a thing or two about it. Did you put labels on them? Did you marl on them with something other than a water-based Sharpie?

CD-R is an unreliable technology. It's a crapshoot that is dependant of a lot of variables. This is why we digital guys store out music on hard drives and play music through servers or the computer. Many of us have cars that will play music from a USB stick, and most today can play from an iPod. I quit burning CD-Rs almost ten years ago because they are so unreliable.

I'm not shoving downloads down anyone's throat. But, people are going to have to accept that downloads [[and streaming), are, or are about to become the dominant way to buy and listen to music, and I have nothing to do with that! The record companies like streaming [[which I don't like) because they have complete control over what we are allowed to hear.

I could ask why technology make you so angry. I don't understand your anger toward me right now because all I did in that last post was make a friendly suggestion that you try it yourself instead of waiting for your friend to do it. Instead of getting testy with me for no reason, you should focus on rising to the challenge. I also don't know how old you are, but, it is true that some people lose their cognition diminishes as they age. I didn't get into computers until my mid-40s.

I'm not being mean, i'm not being condescending, was just giving you a suggestion. It's yours to take, if you want it. but, if you are just going to whine about your little skipping CD and not do anything about it, I don't want to hear it.
    Last edited by soulster; 11-26-2014 at 06:58 AM.

Just my 2 cents:
    BIM ext. version 2014 total time is almost 81 minutes so recording on 1 80 min. cd might create a problem in playback. I suggest splitting up tracks and burning on 2 cds.
    Until this weekend I avoided using iTunes for burning but it really is quite easy. First you make a playlist which you can burn. I always use the lowest speeds for burning like 4x when I want the best results.
    You can google all questions about using iTunes.

To soulster -- You don't wanna hear me "whining"? Then butt out! We [[you and I) have already discussed this TWICE before, but you just won't let it go. Get over your high-and-mighty technical self. You don't know what I've already attempted on my own and what I haven't, so don't assume that I haven't tried. All I know is that buying music should be fun and uplifting. This isn't.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 11-26-2014 at 07:26 AM.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Just my 2 cents:
    BIM ext. version 2014 total time is almost 81 minutes so recording on 1 80 min. cd might create a problem in playback. I suggest splitting up tracks and burning on 2 cds.
    Until this weekend I avoided using iTunes for burning but it really is quite easy. First you make a playlist which you can burn. I always use the lowest speeds for burning like 4x when I want the best results.
    You can google all questions about using iTunes.
    I noticed the 81 minute length as well so for burning the CD, I just burned the original 10 songs from the album, the added songs and left out the alternate vocal takes. Instead the final track I put on the CD was the Your Love is So Good for Me remix found on the diana album extended version that came out about 8-10 years ago. The alternate vocal takes are just going to remain on my iTunes, or if I get bored with them, I'll delete them to my cloud account.

Hi Gary, if you're not able to play this on your computer, does your stereo have a usb port? If so, I'm sure a friend could help you copy the files onto a usb stick, then you can just plug the stick in and play [[I'm assuming that if your stereo has a usb port, it will support this file type - I think it should). And no problem with the 81 mins.

Beyond that, maybe you have a friend who can help you get started with audio [[and other) stuff on your computer. Not just doing something for you, but showing you how to do it yourself.
    Last edited by calvin; 11-26-2014 at 10:30 AM.

To soulster -- You don't wanna hear me "whining"? Then butt out! We [[you and I) have already discussed this TWICE before, but you just won't let it go. Get over your high-and-mighty technical self. You don't know what I've already attempted on my own and what I haven't, so don't assume that I haven't tried. All I know is that buying music should be fun and uplifting. This isn't.
    Mellow out! If you are angry about not having a CD, don't take it out on me. Don't blame me if you can't figure out how to burn a lousy CD, something that millions of people do every day. Take it out on Universal. And, it sounds like you are the one who won't let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    Hi Gary, if you're not able to play this on your computer, does your stereo have a usb port? If so, I'm sure a friend could help you copy the files onto a usb stick, then you can just plug the stick in and play [[I'm assuming that if your stereo has a usb port, it will support this file type - I think it should). And no problem with the 81 mins.

Beyond that, maybe you have a friend who can help you get started with audio [[and other) stuff on your computer. Not just doing something for you, but showing you how to do it yourself.
    Thank you Calvin. That's what i'm talking about!

I've burned off ITunes and pretty much that is how I do it all the time now.

I played Funny Girl a bit ~ the alternate cuts; I think ones where they really had Mary and Cindy on I'm the Greatest Star. But I've always thought most of the tracks on that CD were boring.

I would rather be able to order a CD with a nicely printed booklet; but I even printed the booklet and read it.

I haven't yet bought BIM but I will and I will print the booklet and be happy. And I will listen to that CD a lot more than Funny Girl.

it is so easy for one person to do a quality needledrop that sounds equal to, or superior to whatever the labels can produce, complete with artwork and liner note, and ripping information, to upload it just once, and have everyone in the world to get at it.
    True, but I imagine that eventually there will be no physical product to do a needle drop from [[I'm taking new music, obviously), only streaming copies so there will be no physical copies to duplicate/needledrop/rip, etc.

And, no, I wasn't meaning you specifically, Philles/Motown Gary, it's just a general complaint I've heard from many people who don't like download-only releases from many sources. I'm coming around to them mainly because the quality is really starting to take an uptick and FUNNY GIRL and BIM show you can still have a beautiful and lovingly produced booklet. Do I miss holding a CD in my hand? Sure, but I also know that what I really miss in that regard is holding an album in my hand, as I did in my youth when I first fell in love with music! But those days are gone and with high-resolution downloads and streaming, the sound quality can be better than ever and that's how I'm coming around. Have I ever "shared" music across the internet? Of course I have. But do I do so with music that I really care about and listen to? No way. if I love it, I buy it [[if available)...

Mellow out! If you are angry about not having a CD, don't take it out on me. Don't blame me if you can't figure out how to burn a lousy CD, something that millions of people do every day. Take it out on Universal. And, it sounds like you are the one who won't let it go.
    Soulster, if I’m angry, it’s because you won’t leave it alone. I was having a conversation with another poster who had mentioned that some people somehow manage to get their downloads for free from others [[as opposed to buying them legally). Since his post had followed one of my posts, I feared that he might have misunderstood, thinking that I had obtained my downloads illegally. Better safe than sorry, I pointed out to him that, in case he misunderstood, I had indeed obtained my downloads legally. That’s when you started in again, preaching [[for the umpteenth time) that I should sit down and try it for myself, which had nothing to do with the conversation at hand. And now you’re rubbing it in my face that "millions of people burn ‘lousy’ CD’s all the time", implying that I’m an idiot if I can’t. I don’t care what anybody else does. Maybe they have technical minds like you. I don’t, nor does everybody else. [[FYI, over the years, I, too, have loved making CD compilations for all of my favorite categories of music from my CD collection. I’ve burned thousands of CD’s on my independent CD recorders throughout the years, but I had to give it up because I no longer have the patience to deal with it, especially given the defective blank CD-R’s which crept into the mix. And, of course, I’ve never had to do it on my PC until now.)

Maybe I did come down hard on you, and, if I did, I’m sorry, but damn....you DO preach about downloads incessantly – and especially to me! I got it the first 20 times that you said it! You really should get a job working for Itunes or one of the lossless download companies. You would be their star salesman [[unless you high-pressure customers like you do me)!

Look, Soulster, I’ve always liked you and I don’t wanna fight with you. Here’s what happens when we try to burn to CD on my PC: I pay for the downloads. No problem. Then my friend, Matthew, downloads them on my PC for me which is pretty easy – usually. Here’s where the trouble starts: When he drags the newly-purchased album to the icon for burning to CD, it oftentimes doubles the track list to be burned. For example, if we were trying to download The Supremes’ "Where Did Our Love Go" album [[hypothetical), the tracklist to be burned ends up looking like this:

1. Where Did Our Love Go
    2. Where Did Our Love Go
    3. Run, Run, Run
    4. Run, Run, Run
    5. Baby Love
    6. Baby Love, etc, etc, et.

As you can see, it tends to double everything. Matthew goes through the tracklist, deleting every other one. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn’t. Then, as if that isn’t bad enough, when we try to do it over and start from scratch, the tracklist to be burned to CD somehow contains not only the current songs at hand, but also song titles from other downloads which I have already recently purchased and burned to CD. Fasten your seatbelt – it gets even worse! On two different nights, while dragging the downloaded album to the CD burner icon, the damned thing included not only the downloaded tracks that I wanted to burn to CD, but it also included thousands [[yes, thousands) of other song titles contained within CD’s [[not downloads, but CD’s) which I had purchased from Amazon several years ago. The damned thing thought that I wanted to burn every one of those thousands of songs to CD on my PC. Matthew was baffled, and he typically knows what he’s doing. Try to put yourself in my place and imagine, for just a moment, how it would intimidate somebody like me who is a beginner and who isn’t at all technically minded like you. I happen to have health issues which at times affect my ability to concentrate and comprehend. The last thing I need is being preached to about how I should be more computer savvy when purchasing and using my beloved music which, until now, has been totally separate from computer knowledge [[other than ordering and paying for the music via Amazon). Complicating the issue are the defective TDK CD-R’s which I mentioned in a previous post. Out of 20 downloads burned to CD, three contained skips [[which often times also happened when using my independent CD recorders as well), so I don’t think we’re using the wrong download speed, as 17 download-to-CD transfers came out fine and they sound great. Why Diana’s "Baby It’s Me" download-to-CD transfer came out completely blank [["No File") is beyond me.

As far as the USB port or memory stick thing which Calvin mentioned [[thanks, Calvin!), my Sony portable CD player, which is the only player I use to listen to my music along with my Sony Studio Monitor headphones, also contains a feature which will supposedly play ATRAC MP3's [[whatever they are) as well as CD’s. It didn’t come with a memory stick nor any kind USB port, so I’m not at all familiar with it, but I’m pretty sure I understand what you’re saying. Downloaded music files on my PC could be further downloaded onto the memory stick which would then be plugged into my Sony CD Walkman, thus transferring the music to the Walkman. Correct? There’s just one problem with that theory – I just checked my Walkman and there’s no jack to plug in a memory stick. And the mystery and frustration continues!

Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 11-26-2014 at 08:10 PM.

Philles/Motown Gary, instead of a CD walkman, why don't you just use a mp3 player or something similar where you can just move the files from your computer to the device? It is as simple as just connecting it to your computer with a USB cable. Your comment about your CD Walkman reminded me of this video, my intent is to lighten the mood. This is not to offend you. It's just for a good laugh.

Soulster, if I’m angry, it’s because you won’t leave it alone. I was having a conversation with another poster who had mentioned that some people somehow manage to get their downloads for free from others [[as opposed to buying them legally). Since his post had followed one of my posts, I feared that he might have misunderstood, thinking that I had obtained my downloads illegally.
    Too bad your anger brought us to this point because you and I have always got along on this forum. This thread is not a private conversation, it's public. Som if you and another person are having a conversation in public on a thread, you can expect anyone to jump in. If you don't like it, take it private.

I'm waiting for the moment I can download lossless files. I feel you on the artwork, but, at the end of the day, i'm happy with lossless with the cover artwork.

That’s when you started in again, preaching [[for the umpteenth time) that I should sit down and try it for myself, which had nothing to do with the conversation at hand. And now you’re rubbing it in my face that "millions of people burn ‘lousy’ CD’s all the time", implying that I’m an idiot if I can’t. I don’t care what anybody else does. Maybe they have technical minds like you. I don’t, nor does everybody else. [[FYI, over the years, I, too, have loved making CD compilations for all of my favorite categories of music from my CD collection. I’ve burned thousands of CD’s on my independent CD recorders throughout the years, but I had to give it up because I no longer have the patience to deal with it, especially given the defective blank CD-R’s which crept into the mix. And, of course, I’ve never had to do it on my PC until now.)
    Now you're playing the victim. I am not insulting you, calling you any names, or trying to imply anything. I wasn't born with a keyboard and a mouse. Granted, I am technically-oriented, ad most of my family is, but I taught myself about computers. I had no one to guide or help me. I was motivated by the desire to make my own CDs from my record collection and CDs.

Again, I suggest that if you want to have a conversation with one person and only one person, take it to private so no one else can see it.

Maybe I did come down hard on you, and, if I did, I’m sorry, but damn....you DO preach about downloads incessantly – and especially to me! I got it the first 20 times that you said it! You really should get a job working for Itunes or one of the lossless download companies. You would be their star salesman [[unless you high-pressure customers like you do me)!
    When I talk about lossless music, I am talking to anyone who reads the forum, so quit feeling like I am singling you out. And, yes, I to push lossless and high-resolution music because I care about music. It is my deepest belief - and I am not the only one who believes this - that lossy files, and compressed music, are largely responsible for the misfortunes of the record industry, and plays a major role in listeners disinterest, or fatigue when listening to such music. I recall a time not too long ago when people had real stereos that produced full, frequency-rich music that filled a room and made people FEEL the music. Nowadays, people listen with those stupid little ear-buds that constantly fall out of your ears, or those wretched "beats" with their hyped upper-bass frequencies. I want to help get us all back to that good place. Yer damn right i'm on a crusade, and I make NO apologies for it!

Here’s what happens when we try to burn to CD on my PC: I pay for the downloads. No problem. Then my friend, Matthew, downloads them on my PC for me which is pretty easy – usually. Here’s where the trouble starts: When he drags the newly-purchased album to the icon for burning to CD, it oftentimes doubles the track list to be burned. For example, if we were trying to download The Supremes’ "Where Did Our Love Go" album [[hypothetical), the tracklist to be burned ends up looking like this:

1. Where Did Our Love Go
    2. Where Did Our Love Go
    3. Run, Run, Run
    4. Run, Run, Run
    5. Baby Love
    6. Baby Love, etc, etc, et.

As you can see, it tends to double everything. Matthew goes through the tracklist, deleting every other one. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn’t.
    I do indeed see where that happens to many of my albums in iTunes too. Again, iTunes is NOT user-friendly.

Then, as if that isn’t bad enough, when we try to do it over and start from scratch, the tracklist to be burned to CD somehow contains not only the current songs at hand, but also song titles from other downloads which I have already recently purchased and burned to CD.

Fasten your seatbelt – it gets even worse! On two different nights, while dragging the downloaded album to the CD burner icon, the damned thing included not only the downloaded tracks that I wanted to burn to CD, but it also included thousands [[yes, thousands) of other song titles contained within CD’s [[not downloads, but CD’s) which I had purchased from Amazon several years ago. The damned thing thought that I wanted to burn every one of those thousands of songs to CD on my PC.
    What I do is drag the files to the right pane, not the burn icon. That way I can see what is there first.

Matthew was baffled, and he typically knows what he’s doing.
    I do not know if you are using Windows ot a Mac. I don't know what operating system you are using, or what version of iTunes you are using. At any rate, if I were you, and I were using a Windows computer, I would first download a program called CCleaner [[free version), and clean up dead registry entries. If that doesn't work, i'd uninstall iTunes, run CCleaner again, and then reinstall iTunes. That should do it. The small downside is that you'd have to import all of your music again.

I happen to have health issues which at times affect my ability to concentrate and comprehend.
    I was kind of thinking that too, as many people don't really want to divulge that kind of information. But, there's nothing to be embarrassed about. But, if you could have at least hinted this, I could have understood. I had a friend who fell off of a scaffold on his job that left him in constant debilitating pain. He also had no patience for computers because of it. He could not sit or stand for very long. And, damn he loved music! Not really soul music, but classic rock, and bought tons and tons of albums. I think his widowed wife is still trying to deal with the value of his sealed collection.

Complicating the issue are the defective TDK CD-R’s which I mentioned in a previous post.
    I recommend using Taiyo Yuden, or Taiyo Yuden-OEM blanks. You can order them online. The audiophiles/pros even recommend them. The stuff you can buy in Target or Walmart is crap made in China, Indonesia, and India.
    Out of 20 downloads burned to CD, three contained skips [[which often times also happened when using my independent CD recorders as well), so I don’t think we’re using the wrong download speed, as 17 download-to-CD transfers came out fine and they sound great. Why Diana’s "Baby It’s Me" download-to-CD transfer came out completely blank [["No File") is beyond me.
    I do have a workaround. Have your friend convert your itunes files to wav. Locate the folder where they are stored, and use another CD-R burning program to burn those to CD-R. Also, if you use blanks you bought fairly recently, as in the last year, or so, let the burner burn them as fast as it wants.

As far as the USB port or memory stick thing which Calvin mentioned [[thanks, Calvin!), my Sony portable CD player, which is the only player I use to listen to my music along with my Sony Studio Monitor headphones, also contains a feature which will supposedly play ATRAC MP3's [[whatever they are) as well as CD’s. It didn’t come with a memory stick nor any kind USB port, so I’m not at all familiar with it, but I’m pretty sure I understand what you’re saying.
    Years ago, Sony had a proprietary format called ASTRAC. It is not mp3, but they used the compression for the MiniDisc format. No other device will play them today. So, that's out. Today, the most common formats are:

mp3 -
    universal format. Everything can play these.
    AAC -
    This is what Apple uses in iTunes. Some devices and programs will play them.
    FLAC -
    universal lossless format. Not every device or program will play them.
    wav -
    everything will play them - lossless files developed by Microsoft, and it is the most popular. Even the pros use it as a standard now.
    wma -
    Microsoft's lossy format. Some devices can play them, most programs can too.
    aiff -
    Apple's lossless file format. All Apple devices and programs will play them.

Downloaded music files on my PC could be further downloaded onto the memory stick which would then be plugged into my Sony CD Walkman, thus transferring the music to the Walkman. Correct?
    Only if your Sony Walkman will play one of the above listed formats.

There’s just one problem with that theory – I just checked my Walkman and there’s no jack to plug in a memory stick. And the mystery and frustration continues!

And, that is because the Walkman is an old technology that predates the USB. Most cars made today will play music from a USB stick. Toyota, GM, Ford, ect...

Too bad your anger brought us to this point because you and I have always got along on this forum.

We sure have. And we still can!

This thread is not a private conversation, it's public. Som if you and another person are having a conversation in public on a thread, you can expect anyone to jump in. If you don't like it, take it private.

It wasn't a private conversation, soulster. And I don't mind you joining in. I never did. It was the fact that, out of nowhere -- unsolicited -- you changed the subject and the conversation reverted back to the fact that you feel that I should be more adventurous in learning to download and burning them to CD via my PC.

Now you're playing the victim. I am not insulting you.

It IS insulting, whether you realize it or not. Encouraging people to check out the sound quality of lossless downloads is one thing; but when you harp over and over on a more personal level that I should be more flexible and willing to let go, especially when I've already explained twice before why I haven't, it becomes nagging and REALLY personal. That's why I finally blew!

When I talk about lossless music, I am talking to anyone who reads the forum, so quit feeling like I am singling you out. And, yes, I to push lossless and high-resolution music because I care about music. It is my deepest belief - and I am not the only one who believes this - that lossy files, and compressed music, are largely responsible for the misfortunes of the record industry, and plays a major role in listeners disinterest, or fatigue when listening to such music.

That is exactly the reason why some of us are so defensive about holding on to our CDs. They sound great and they're a hell of a lot easier to enjoy and to manage -- at least for me and for countless others who are not computer wizzes like you.

I recall a time not too long ago when people had real stereos that produced full, frequency-rich music that filled a room and made people FEEL the music. Nowadays, people listen with those stupid little ear-buds that constantly fall out of your ears, or those wretched "beats" with their hyped upper-bass frequencies. I want to help get us all back to that good place.

I agree whole-heartedly! Like I was telling you before, I listen to all of my music on my Sony Walkman CD player. [[It's not an old model from the 1980's by any stretch. I bought the first of my model D-NF430 players about 7 years ago at Best Buy.) I liked it so much, and knowing that portable CD players were becoming a thing of the past, I bought two additional [[identical) ones to have as back-ups. That's how great this model sounds when coupled with my Sony Studio Monitor over-the-ear, full-sized Headphones. The sound quality is outstanding and powerful -- every bit as good as a home stereo. Why on earth would I ever want to veer away from that kind of sound quality in favor of a crappy sounding Ipod with tinny ear-buds just to keep up with the current technology -- even if the download is lossless? I, too, am extremely fussy about sound quality. Anything less just wouldn't do. [[I just don't listen using a home stereo any more like you do. I get the same results as you by using my portable. In fact, I wish you were here. I would give you a demo right now so that you could hear it for yourself.)

Yer damn right i'm on a crusade, and I make NO apologies for it!

Well, then, spread the word in general, soulster, but don't pressure people individually about why they're not interested in change at this time. They've got their reasons for jumping or not jumping on the bandwagon, and needling them about it will only turn them off to you and make them more determined than ever to not join in the change.

That's all that I'm saying about it. I'm worn out from having to constantly defend myself. The most recent Sony Walkman model may be "outdated" by your standards, but it serves my needs perfectly -- in the highest sound quality to boot. And I'll bet it sounds better than most people's music-listening devices.

[/QUOTE]

To Soulster: When I admitted that I have health issues which effect my ability to concentrate and comprehend, you said the following:

I was kind of thinking that too, as many people don't really want to divulge that kind of information. But, there's nothing to be embarrassed about. But, if you could have at least hinted this, I could have understood. I had a friend who fell off of a scaffold on his job that left him in constant debilitating pain. He also had no patience for computers because of it. He could not sit or stand for very long. And, damn he loved music! Not really soul music, but classic rock, and bought tons and tons of albums. I think his widowed wife is still trying to deal with the value of his sealed collection.

To Soulster: I wasn't gonna go into all that, but you gave me no other choice. Something happens to you mentally and emotionally when you [[in general) have been involved in a serious accident or have been stricken with a serious illness. In the past 16 years, I've been through both [[a car accident and Acute Pancreatitis). Patience and tolerance for anything stress-related becomes a thing of the past, making it difficult, if not impossible, to concentrate on and to comprehend anything new, technically speaking. Yes, computers are a perfect example! I can identify with your friend completely. I'll bet he suffered from problems dealing with short-term memory as well. It's really something when you can remember the events of the day that you bought a certain record back in the 1960's, but you can't remember what you had for supper last night. It's crazy, but it's true! That's why I tried to brush the whole thing off two months ago by simply saying that I'm too old to learn that technical computer stuff, but you wouldn't accept it. You insisted on pressing the issue, although I can't imagine why if you already suspected health issues. Let's just drop it. I do like you, and I don't want to blow up at you again.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 11-27-2014 at 02:49 AM.

It wasn't a private conversation, soulster. And I don't mind you joining in. I never did. It was the fact that, out of nowhere -- unsolicited -- you changed the subject and the conversation reverted back to the fact that you feel that I should be more adventurous in learning to download and burning them to CD via my PC.
    And, I still think you should. My thinking is now that you shouldn't bother with iTunes. It's not a user-friendly program. It really isn't.

It IS insulting, whether you realize it or not. Encouraging people to check out the sound quality of lossless downloads is one thing; but when you harp over and over on a more personal level that I should be more flexible and willing to let go, especially when I've already explained twice before why I haven't, it becomes nagging and REALLY personal. That's why I finally blew!
    I think you may be a bit thin-skinned for being on the internet?

That is exactly the reason why some of us are so defensive about holding on to our CDs. They sound great and they're a hell of a lot easier to enjoy and to manage -- at least for me and for countless others who are not computer wizzes like you.
    I just think differently. On any other forum, no one would have taken offense by my posts. I typically read and post on two or three music/audio forums simultaneously. Sometimes I have to remember that this is a different bunch here. Does that put things into perspective?

I agree whole-heartedly! Like I was telling you before, I listen to all of my music on my Sony Walkman CD player. [[It's not an old model from the 1980's by any stretch. I bought the first of my model D-NF430 players about 7 years ago at Best Buy.) I liked it so much, and knowing that portable CD players were becoming a thing of the past, I bought two additional [[identical) ones to have as back-ups. That's how great this model sounds when coupled with my Sony Studio Monitor over-the-ear, full-sized Headphones. The sound quality is outstanding and powerful -- every bit as good as a home stereo.

As you may know, Some Sony CD Walkman players were rated very high among audiophiles when they hooked them up to their home systems. I used to own a Sony CD Walkman in the early 90s and it did indeed sound very good! But, I tended to use my Sony changer more because it could hold five discs, and was very programmable, looked for peaks when making cassette tapes, and a couple of other cool things. I still have it, but it is giving up the ghost. Doesn't matter, I don't need it. Since I have my computer hooked up to my stereo via digital cable, I just rip the CDs.

Why on earth would I ever want to veer away from that kind of sound quality in favor of a crappy sounding Ipod with tinny ear-buds just to keep up with the current technology --
    You don't have to! I know you think i'm preaching here, but there is a way you can enjoy that quality CD sound without the player, and you still don't have to use a computer. Just ask, and i'll point you to some updated technology that doesn't cost too much. Again, not pushing, but just letting you know it's out there.

Well, then, spread the word in general, soulster, but don't pressure people individually about why they're not interested in change at this time.
    Again, I wasn't just writing for you, don't please stop taking it all personally.

They've got their reasons for jumping or not jumping on the bandwagon, and needling them about it will only turn them off to you and make them more determined than ever to not join in the change.
    Like I said, any other forum and people wouldn't get so bent out of shape about it.

That's all that I'm saying about it. I'm worn out from having to constantly defend myself.
    You never had to. Just don't get defensive. And, you really didn't have to detail your issues.

Soulster, I HAD to use itunes. It was the only source for getting Diana's "Baby It's Me" [[Expanded). All of the other downloads were bought from Amazon, which is where most of the weird things happened during the CD-burning process. At least those downloads allowed me to burn to a CD that would actually play [[unlike itunes). Oh, BTW, since you asked, my HP TouchSmart PC is currently using Windows 7 [[64 bit).
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 11-27-2014 at 05:53 AM.

Philles/Motown Gary: you dont have to burn with Itunes, you can burn the files with any burn programm that is on your PC. But always remember to burn an Audio CD for listening on your stereo.
    The files can be found when you open the iTunes map in User/Your Name/Music/Itunes usually to be found on your C-partition.

t

Soulster, I HAD to use itunes. It was the only source for getting Diana's "Baby It's Me" [[Expanded). All of the other downloads were bought from Amazon, which is where most of the weird things happened during the CD-burning process. At least those downloads allowed me to burn to a CD that would actually play [[unlike itunes). Oh, BTW, since you asked, my HP TouchSmart PC is currently using Windows 7 [[64 bit).
    Good. I have the same Windows. But, iTunes is always updating the software, and I think they are now gearing it for streaming more than they are for purchasing.

What I meant is that you can buy from iTunes [[or anywhere else) and import the files to another CD burning program as Jack says above. It's just that in iTunes, you would have to convert their files to wav files first. Again, you can do that within iTunes, but they don't make it easy. They want you to stay in their ecosystem.

In other news, Universal released no less than 14 Neil Diamond catalog albums on CD [[!!) this week...

Quote Originally Posted by whitesoxx View Post
    In other news, Universal released no less than 14 Neil Diamond catalog albums on CD [[!!) this week...
    When someone [[was it Andy?) said that it was only possible to release BIM in this format, he didn't say that it wouldn't have been profitable as a physical release. We see less popular back titles being released on cd all the time, just take a look at The Second Disk website.

And, while all the other Motown download-only titles [[Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, Smokey Robinson, Mary Wells Live on Stage, etc) are also available from other sites - including Qobuz, which offers lossless - BIM is at least initially only available on iTunes. In the UK, "Funny Girl" also still seems to be available from iTunes only.

"Only in this format", I think, means that someone with decision-making powers in marketing at Universal decided that the company could make more money this way, including cutting some kind of special deal with iTunes which limits the buyer's choice.

When they decided this, they knew that many wouldn't like it, and it would even cost them some sales, but I guess they still expected a better net profit after taking that into account. Universal has every right to do this. And we can buy it or not.
    Last edited by calvin; 11-28-2014 at 02:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by whitesoxx View Post
    Yeah, whitesoxx, and it seems like conflicting double-standards. Go figure!

Bottom line: R&B fans [[in the U.S.) have not traditionally bought enough CDs. The record labels live by this rule. They have done studies. In a way, R&B fans have only themselves to blame. They cling to their old record albums.

Bottom line: R&B fans [[in the U.S.) have not traditionally bought enough CDs. The record labels live by this rule. They have done studies. In a way, R&B fans have only themselves to blame. They cling to their old record albums.
    I agree with this. This is why Berry Gordy tried to go "pop". It is also why the pure R & B Artists sold less that the less pure types.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I agree with this. This is why Berry Gordy tried to go "pop". It is also why the pure R & B Artists sold less that the less pure types.
    So, if the Supremes/Ross fans are angry that BIM and Funny Girl didn't make it to CD, yet all of Neil Diamond albums did, that's a big reason. But, don't forget that Diamond is a major artist who can control his catalog. Ross just doesn't have that kind of clout with Universal at this time. Perhaps if Say, Sony/BMG Legacy had rights to the BIM and FG albums, you would have had it on CD today.

To add levity to this thread, I'm adding this cartoon from today's Vancouver Sun:Name:  P1210206.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  90.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I do hate to see innuendo and such that might indicate "something is wrong" with people not up to snuff with others...I don't understand it, but I don't look down upon them as inferior, less intelligent, immature or whatever it is that makes people feel superior to others because "they know more, have more or are more."
    OK, I don't know what you guys are smoking, but I need you to point out exactly where I said any of this, inferred it, or insinuated any of this. What you write makes me realize just how thin-skinned and over-reactive you all are. You guys take everything as a personal offense where there is no reason to.

My point is that this has been a pretty friendly place lately and through my 3 am buzz it seems that maybe we could look at how we might be a bit more respecftful - many things I've read have opened my eyes to things I might have said....."better."
    Apparently not, because everything you just said tells me your eyes are still shut. You tell me how many ways I am supposed to try to say something technical around here where people won't feel insecure, threatened, or insulted? We are talking about AUDIO FORMATS, not someone's mother!

supremester Guest
    LOL...Hey I'm sorry it was a long party night and I wasn't clear in what I was trying to say and it doesn't matter anyway. Just ignore it, I was unintentionally beyond faded, [[but hope to do it again sometime soon and I'll probably humiliate myself here again and it'll be worth it.) Please know I have learned some tidbits from your writings.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    LOL...Hey I'm sorry it was a long party night and I wasn't clear in what I was trying to say and it doesn't matter anyway. Just ignore it, I was unintentionally beyond faded, [[but hope to do it again sometime soon and I'll probably humiliate myself here again and it'll be worth it.) Please know I have learned some tidbits from your writings.
    It does matter. You took the time to post that, so, it mattered to you.

supremester Guest
    I had been sipping opium tea since 7pm.....I could go back, read the thread and restate my opinion, but it doesn't matter enough. Right now, I need a new dryer & refrigerator by Friday - that matters now.