[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Don't disagree really with anything MB says ~ but the whole landscape changes when in whatever format you buy today, those sales can get you into the Top 20 of the Billboard 200 whereas 20 years ago, those same numbers might have got you to #190.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    Two photos were posted today on the "Diana Ross & The Supremes: Expanded Edition" Facebook page:

Attachment 8584
    Cool! I like screen shots of the tape boxes.

Posted on FB this morning . . . Tired of teasers? So are we!
    Ready for some real information?
    Better yet, are you ready for your ears to hear the sweet sounds of...?
    Join George Solomon and Andy Skurow this Tuesday, November 18 at 9 PM EST, 6 PM PST on Nightflight with John Perrone. All will be revealed! You will hear the debut of an expanded classic .... album. You'll find out what it is, and hear several of the songs, including the new exclusive bonus tracks. Find out ALL the details by streaming the show at www.womr.org
    Who knows, we may even reveal the secret prior to the show. Stay tuned!

That sounds like a real treat.

How long has it been since Diana' s last solo expanded edition? January 2013, I believe.

alanbill1074 Guest
    I've read somewhere today it is coming out next Tuesday as an expanded digital edition? Digital only?

Quote Originally Posted by alanbill1074 View Post
    I've read somewhere today it is coming out next Tuesday as an expanded digital edition? Digital only?
    Where did you read this? I really was hoping for a physical cd release. If it wasn't from Andy, George, or Harry I wouldn't give it too much attention.
    Last edited by vgalindo; 11-15-2014 at 05:33 PM.

It's on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    It's on Facebook.
    Where does it say on Facebook that it is going to be a digital release. I can't seem to find it.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Where does it say on Facebook that it is going to be a digital release. I can't seem to find it.
    thanks
    I see where a poster commented that he thought that it would be a digital only release, but it was just an opinion. I didn't see it stated as fact by anyone official.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I see where a poster commented that he thought that it would be a digital only release, but it was just an opinion. I didn't see it stated as fact by anyone official.
    Thank you. That is what I saw too.

What has me wondering is that even if it is digital only [[at this point), like Funny Girl… it was up in iTunes and Amazon a couple of weeks before saying that it would be released on such and such a date. So when Andy & George did the show, Funny Girl was already being promoted even though it came out the day of their pre-taped show.

Also the Facebook says they MAY reveal the secret prior to the Nightflight show.

Of course, who is say it may start out as digital only and then the cd could still come later. Also been wondering lately, if Andy & George are having to get another company to release a physical cd??? The interesting that is when reissues and remasters come out on cd from other companies like Real Gone Music, FunkyTown Grooves, etc., those companies NEVER get download rights and after they come out, Universal, Sony & Warner sometimes release digitally without the booklets that the licensors put together.

It will be interesting to hear the plans revealed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    i do have to criticize the fans for "not buying FG cuz it wasn't a real release." quite frankly that's a poor decision on your behalf and could jeopardize future releases. for those of you that are moaning and groaning about not having something to hold or that fact you'll only buy a cd format, that makes about as much sense as the people in the early 80s that said they'd never convert to cassettes or cd's from vinyl. the industry has made radical changes in the past 10 years. digital is here to stay.

sup_fan: while I do agree with what you are saying, and I was one of those that did NOT buy "FG" because it was not a physical release, don't you think it's the responsibility of UMG to at least promote these releases? Outside of those of us "in the know", how many casual fans know that it was even released? I know of long-time Supremes fan that had no idea there was even such a thing as an "Expanded Release". So while it's true that by supporting one release, it helps open the door to other releases, if we don't know these releases exist, how does that fall on us?

And what about the people that don't have the ability to dl music? Or the knowledge? My parents are of the Supremes "era". They know not the first thing about downloading music or printing a booklet. So I can see if we are talking about Beyonce or Taylor Swift; THAT generation does not buy CD's. But the generation where THIS music comes from; that's all they know.

I think UMG just needs to be straight forward and give it to us. Tell us that these will no longer be on CD format. Or "lease" these titles to a company, such as ACE, that WILL release them on CD format. If you can get "Partners" by Scherrie and Susaye, or "the Supremes 1975", you certainly should be able to get "Funny Girl."
    I so much agree. There are several labels issuing physical CD reissues / expanded editions. S!it or get off the pot, UMG,

I would be very disappointed if the release is digital only.

But part of me is beginning to acknowledge that it is mostly the old crowd wanting the physical releases.

Maybe there's a change that we haven't come to accept yet?

alanbill1074 Guest
    It's mentioned on the Steve Hoffman Forum. Someone has heard it apparently, as they specifically praise "Brass Band".

What us the Steve Hoffman forum? Is there a link?

I posted that for the Ross fans on that forum I know are looking for this set that don't visit Soulful Detroit and I am making an assumption that it's Tuesday since it hit the foreign stores with their weekly new releases. Watch Facebook, Andy or George for official info. It's their "baby" to deliver. i just lucked out in finding it in the Aussie Itunes store and can buy from it from the US early. It will be worth the wait.

Hey Everyone...

It just appeared available for sale on US iTunes at midnight for $12.99 with digital booklet!!!

I think i'll buy the Japanese edition instead. At least I will have something that really exists.

Just can't get my head around digital releases.

If Universal can't manage to make a release like this as a real cd - then why don't they lease it to one of the many companies that can manage to do it - and do it really well.

If this is how Universal is to run their business in future then I ain't buying it. I just don't get it.

The digital booklets are so frustrating. Besides the fact that they do not fit into a jewel case, printing them out front to back is a near impossibility. I would pay an additional $10 for an actual booklet. Another huge Motown/Universal disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    The digital booklets are so frustrating. Besides the fact that they do not fit into a jewel case, printing them out front to back is a near impossibility. I would pay an additional $10 for an actual booklet. Another huge Motown/Universal disappointment.
    Longtimefan, I had the digital booklet for Funny Girl printed at FedEx Kinkos; they printed it to scale as a CD booklet, using appropriate paper stock and the end result was exceptional. Just a tip, if there is a location in your area or another reputable printing establishment, this may work for you...

A tip on the digital booklet that I used on the Funny Girl release and that I plan to use for BIM. I saved the digital booklet as a PDF file and then saved it in iBooks on my iPad. I found this much easier than printing it and it is always there when you want to read it again. Obviously, you need to have an iPad. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    I think i'll buy the Japanese edition instead. At least I will have something that really exists.
    I have to laugh at all the times I see people saying that digital files don't exist. Of course they do. They exist just as much as the operating system and personal fata soes on your computer. You can copy them or lose them. If you want something more tangible, you can burn them on a CD-R.

If Universal can't manage to make a release like this as a real cd - then why don't they lease it to one of the many companies that can manage to do it - and do it really well.
    Content holders are reluctant to lease masters of things they think will sell well. And, if they do, the cost is prohibitive to most small reissue labels. They can help offset those costs by having the owner of the masters press and distribute the reissue, but if it's someone like Diana Ross or Marvin Gaye, they won't do it. You might say those artists, or some of their content, are proprietary. However, there is always a possibility you would see a vinyl reissue down the road by either Universal or a smaller label.

If this is how Universal is to run their business in future then I ain't buying it. I just don't get it.
    Digital files are the way to sell content now that the CD is doing so poorly in sales. I know CD fans would like to think otherwise, but sales of the CD format keeps dropping every year.

As for sound quality [[you knew I was going there), I would not buy a download from iTunes, Amazon, or 7-Digital. I would wait for Pono Music, download from Quboz [[for those that are able), or wait and see if the album shows up on HD Tracks. I like hi-rez downloads because I get the sound that's much closer to the master tapes, if not an exact copy of them.

Selling downloads is much cheaper than manufacturing CDs. It is dirt cheap to make a CD today, but when you factor in distribution, printing, and distribution to stores that really don't want to sell anything but new hit product, it gets expensive. What makes it worse for even people who like downloads is that streaming is very popular. Nothing to buy or download. No CDs or records cluttering up your living space. Nothing to own. That is the one that "doesn't really exist". You can't save it, copy it, or play in your car without a wi-fi connection, and you absolutely get no artwork. And, if, say, Universal ever decides to pull the music, you just can't get to it again. This is what the public likes and wants because it is also the cheapest option. Say, $10 a month!

The world is changing. You didn't think the digital world would stay the same forever, did you?

Diana Ross & The Supremes: Expanded Editions on Facebook:
    Andy Skurow posted:
    This is exclusively MFiT [[mastered for iTunes) and it will be available for download at Amazon in a few weeks. Most of the record companies have stopped CD production for catalog releases, so this is not specific to Diana Ross. We would also like to continue and complete the series physically. We are in talks with some third party labels to possibly print CDs [[including this and Funny Girl) in the near future. George Solomon will discuss it on Nightflight tomorrow [[Tuesday) on www. WOMR.org at 9:15 PM EST.

What a slap in the face - after all this wait, no CD! I truly hope that a third party will come into the picture to complete the series on CD - otherwise, I am officially done with buying these releases.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I know CD fans would like to think otherwise, but sales of the CD format keeps dropping every year.
    Oh, the logic...it burns!

Quote Originally Posted by djessie View Post
    What a slap in the face - after all this wait, no CD! I truly hope that a third party will come into the picture to complete the series on CD - otherwise, I am officially done with buying these releases.
    I agree. It's also disappointing because originally it was going to be a 2 CD set, then they were told it had to be whittled down to a single CD release. Then they didn't even bother releasing it on CD! So it could've had more tracks after all!

A digital-download only release sucks. You may remember I was very vocal about "Funny Girl." But I have resigned to the fact that this is the way of the world. Doesn't mean I like it; doesn't mean I agree with it. And it certainly doesn't mean I have given up.

I give Andy and his production team huge props for making these releases happen, in any format. It's sometimes easy to get caught up in pointing fingers; I know they are not the "powers that be" that have the final decision on whether these are downloads, or physical. But I know our voices are being heard. So keep the conversations going. Be respectful, and perhaps whomever is at the top of the food chain will see how much interest there still is. Andy has mentioned a few "surprises" tonight on MJ's show; listen in and see what it could be. I'd like to think that there's still some possibility.

Now, without stirring up the pot, do I dare ask if "A Go-Go" will be a physical CD?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Now, without stirring up the pot, do I dare ask if "A Go-Go" will be a physical CD?
    I guess we'll see, maybe they had to pick only one to be on CD and maybe that will be the one? The only thing I'm worried about is if these digital-only ones are coming out only because they were already ready to go. They might not bother letting them work on any future ones. If this is the end, then they at least deserved a CD release.

You all may be interested in reading the comments on this thread:
    http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...he-New-Release

Looks like A Go Go has become A Gone Gone for download only. Physical CDs released in the future? Clearly by now it's not going to happen. CDs are dead? I guess that's why amazon has a billion titles for sale. I give up, I'll buy the imports should they appear as A Go Go already has.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    Looks like A Go Go has become A Gone Gone for download only. Physical CDs released in the future? Clearly by now it's not going to happen. CDs are dead? I guess that's why amazon has a billion titles for sale. I give up, I'll buy the imports should they appear as A Go Go already has.
    I think the labels are content to let the overseas labels and small labels handle CD reissues now.

I think you're right soulster. It's just rather sad to have anticipated these beautiful expanded editions and then it stops at "Symphony". Change is great but this one isn't. Many have sold out which is why they were "limited editions". Can't you just imagine the entire collection this way? That would have been amazing.

As I mentioned in another post, look at Sony's recent release of Bob Dylan's "The Complete Basement Tapes."

Limited-edition physical box set, 6 cds + book in a case: 99.99 Euros from amazon.fr
    High resolution download: 49.49 Euros from Qobuz
    Cd-quality download: 42.89 Euros from Qobuz

A physical set for those who feel they must have one, but significantly more expensive. I'm sure Sony will make a profit from it. Lossless and high resolution downloads for those who don't care enough about the physical set to pay up for it, but don't want lossy downloads. Something for everyone. And all released on the same date, so customers have full knowledge of their choices when they make their purchase. Way to go Bob Dylan and Sony!!!

With "Baby It's Me", Universal starts by making the complete set available as a lossy download exclusively on iTunes, with some vague comments that it will be available from other vendors sometime later. I would like to know if the complete expanded edition will be available in lossless format from Qobuz and/or Pono, but there's no word on that. It's poor customer service for those who don't want lossy downloads.
    Last edited by calvin; 11-22-2014 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    lete set available as a lossy download exclusively on iTunes, with some vague comments that it will be available from other vendors sometime later. I would like to know if the complete expanded edition will be available in lossless format from Qobuz and/or Pono, but there's no word on that. It's poor customer service for those who don't want lossy downloads.
    Some of it has to do with legalities, the deals made with the vendors. The Rick James remasters came out as lossy. iTunes carries all of them, but another vendor only has a few of them, and some not even with bonus tracks. The only two hi-rez albums "Street Songs" and "Kickin'" are on HDTracks right now. I checked Quboz through Tor, and they don't have all of the albums. Pono has the redbook lossless albums, sans bonus tracks.

Qobuz has Rick James "The Complete Motown Albums" in cd quality, with the bonus tracks. I bought it. It will probably show up on Pono later. Not sure if this link will work for you in the US:

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/the.../0060253791737

Up until "Funny Girl", they've had every download-only Motown title I wanted, lossless and with the same bonus tracks as iTunes. Among the ones I've bought:

Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - One Dozen Roses
    Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - A Pocket Full of Miracles
    Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - Flying High Together
    Smokey Robinson - Touch the Sky
    Smokey Robinson - Yes It's You Lady
    Smokey Robinson - Essar
    The Temptations - Wings of Love
    Mary Wells - Live on Stage
    Stevie Wonder - Live at Talk of the Town
    Val Young - Seduction

They also had some others that I wasn't interested in.

Of course I believe what you write about having different vendor deals. They are clearly favoring iTunes with "Baby It's Me", initially making it available only from them. I guess Universal somehow makes more money from this deal. Too bad they don't care about customers who don't want to buy lossy downloads from iTunes.

Remember some years ago they released "The Complete Stevie Wonder" exclusively on iTunes? It had some previously-unreleased tracks. And while one could buy most songs individually from that set, you couldn't buy the previously unreleased tracks except by buying the whole [[very expensive) set. A ripoff for fans who already had all the cds.
    Last edited by calvin; 11-22-2014 at 02:13 PM.

With "Baby It's Me", Universal starts by making the complete set available as a lossy download exclusively on iTunes, with some vague comments that it will be available from other vendors sometime later. I would like to know if the complete expanded edition will be available in lossless format from Qobuz and/or Pono, but there's no word on that. It's poor customer service for those who don't want lossy downloads.
    Yes, plus saying they're still "looking into" getting it out on CD. I'm not holding my breath any longer. Having lossy files is annoying, but so is waiting around, so I just went ahead and bought the iTunes downloads and got it over with. If the "Ross '78" and "A'Go-Go" files are sitting around, they might as well just release them immediately too.

Anyway, the most important thing is the music itself, and I'm enjoying listening to the new unreleased songs and alternate mixes! [[Except for that ultra-distracting water drip sound on "Top Of The World" lol)

Qobuz has Rick James "The Complete Motown Albums" in cd quality, with the bonus tracks. I bought it. It will probably show up on Pono later. Not sure if this link will work for you in the US:

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/the.../0060253791737
    You're right. I just didn't see them all there. Doesn't matter, though. I can't buy anything from them without doing tricks with the internet connection. That's why I'm so glad Pono is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttered Popcorn and so forth View Post
    Yes, plus saying they're still "looking into" getting it out on CD. I'm not holding my breath any longer. Having lossy files is annoying, but so is waiting around, so I just went ahead and bought the iTunes downloads and got it over with. If the "Ross '78" and "A'Go-Go" files are sitting around, they might as well just release them immediately too.
    There's the rub: people like you get frustrated waiting, and download it anyway. Another download sale tells the label that people are happy with that option, so they have fewer reasons to manufacture CDs.

There's no point in having the music if the sound quality is lossy.

I really don't know much about downloads. I am a cd person. The only two downloads I have ever done are Funny Girl and BIM. So can someone educate me on what is a lossy or the different formats that companies release these digital formats? I really don't know what are the differences are. Is it sound quality? Because the ITunes downloads sound fantastic. Sorry for me be so dumb on this subject.

There's the rub: people like you get frustrated waiting, and download it anyway. Another download sale tells the label that people are happy with that option, so they have fewer reasons to manufacture CDs.

There's no point in having the music if the sound quality is lossy.
    Yep, true! It just seems like we're all having to guess what's going on since they won't tell us. So my own personal guess is that we're just lucky to be getting these at all as lossy downloads. The truth is you can barely tell the difference when you're listening to the files, it's just that we know they're lossy that annoys us. I can tell when I put the files out of phase on a .wav editing program, or if you look at the file on a spectral view that it is lossy. Some people don't care if it's on CD, just as long as it's not lossy. I just like having things on CD, cuz I don't like having to keep track of files. Everyone has their own reasons for wanting different formats and it was nicer when it was still an option.

Also even the digital booklet is "lossy." People were saying, oh just print the booklet and burn a CD, but the booklet looks like it was saved in a lower resolution than it was originally designed. There's all kinds of blurry & blocky .jpeg artifact compression going on in the images. So it seems like there's no point in trying to print it yourself. That's another reason to want a real CD of it with the original uncompressed images and lossless audio.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttered Popcorn and so forth View Post
    I just like having things on CD, cuz I don't like having to keep track of files.
    I know you don't care, but here is how I have my files set up. I have the albums in files for each artist. Then, the album titles for that artist are in that folder. Then, the songs are in that album folder. This way, everything is neat and orderly, and I can find anything in seconds.
    Name:  Capturemusic.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  78.3 KB

Hey, everybody, I hate to harp on this, but I just found out that Quboz will be available in the U.S. next year, so that will be two or three lossless/hi-rez stores! I keep saying not to mess with iTunes. Downloads are going lossless. before it was just a dream, but now it's going to happen here in the U.S.. Finally, we don't have to settle for mp3 or "Mastered for iTunes". I ain't buyin' nuthin' until next year!

I just want the choice.

Download or cd.

Shouldn't life be about choice?

And if it means paying double for the cd edition then I would.

It's the fact that Universal have not listened to their loyal fans that makes me so mad.

No more cash from me Universal. Download - no sale.

Hey, everybody, I hate to harp on this, but I just found out that Quboz will be available in the U.S. next year, so that will be two or three lossless/hi-rez stores! I keep saying not to mess with iTunes. Downloads are going lossless. before it was just a dream, but now it's going to happen here in the U.S.. Finally, we don't have to settle for mp3 or "Mastered for iTunes". I ain't buyin' nuthin' until next year!
    I hope this happens. It was reported in August that Qobuz needed to raise some funds to continue with their plans. They're still looking for this funding:

http://www.telecompaper.com/news/qob...-2015--1050821

Pono also has plans to come to the UK, perhaps next year.
    Last edited by calvin; 11-23-2014 at 08:51 AM.

I just read this morning that the licensing issues have been resolved and it's only a matter of time now.

Unfortunately, I think liner notes have gone the way of the dodo bird. I guess the majority of the consumers just don't care enough for the labels to bother working out a solution. And, if they do offer them, it is going to be downloadable.

I'm thinking that almost the only other way to get music besides from the internet is to buy a vinyl copy, if they are available. But, there's just not enough pressing plants worldwide to keep up with the demand. And, from what I see, the majority of records coming out are rock titles.

The last chance, barring an indie label, or Japanese release of a CD, is to have an audiophile gold CD. But, we all know the chances of that ever happening are nill. No audiophile label is going to do a Diana Ross title on CD. And, even if they did, I doubt anyone will pay $30 for a single CD.

I would most certainly pay $30 for Baby It's Me on CD - I wouldn't even pay $1 for a download.

Quote Originally Posted by djessie View Post
    I would most certainly pay $30 for Baby It's Me on CD - I wouldn't even pay $1 for a download.
    But, how many people would pay up to $30 for a single CD of that title? If an audiophile label thought they could, they would. But, as history shows, most fans of R&B will not spend a whole lot of money on a single title, and someone like Ross just doesn't appeal to enough buyers, let alone audiophiles for them to go through the trouble. The Ross fans have to realize that there is more out there than Diana Ross. To much of the world, she is little more than a blip on the radar, but you'd never know that from just being on this forum or Ross forums. People like The Supremes, and a few of her solo hits, but that's about it.

I also think the Universal producers get a very distorted view of what Motown fans want by just coming here for feedback.
    Last edited by soulster; 11-24-2014 at 04:09 PM.

a blip on the radar..LOL.. give it up already...everyone saw the standing Ovation last night at the AMAS from everyone in the contemporary music biz and Taylor Swift paying homage to Ross..she's on The Voice tonight and tomorrow..there's a 'blip' on the radar all right, but it isn't Diana Ross..sorry to negate the hate...ha ha ha