[REMOVE ADS]

Respect: The Life of Aretha Franklin by David Ritz Available October 28

Respect
    The Life of Aretha Franklin
    David RitzView More by This Author This book is available for download with iBooks on your Mac or iOS device, and with iTunes on your computer. Books can be read with iBooks on your Mac or iOS device.
    Description
    The definitive biography of the Queen of Soul from acclaimed music writer David Ritz.

Aretha Franklin began life as the golden daughter of a progressive and promiscuous Baptist preacher. Raised without her mother, she was a gospel prodigy who gave birth to two sons in her teens and left them and her native Detroit for New York, where she struggled to find her true voice. It was not until 1967, when a white Jewish producer insisted she return to her gospel-soul roots, that fame and fortune finally came via "Respect" and a rapidfire string of hits. She has evolved ever since, amidst personal tragedy, surprise Grammy performances, and career reinventions.

Again and again, Aretha stubbornly finds a way to triumph over troubles, even as they continue to build. Her hold on the crown is tenacious, and in RESPECT, David Ritz gives us the definitive life of one of the greatest talents in all American culture.
    RespectView In iTunes
    Available on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac.
    Category: Biographies & Memoirs
    Expected Release: Oct 28, 2014
    Publisher: Little, Brown and Company

I read a chunk of the book a few days ago, as it is previewed on Amazon. It seems that David Ritz wasn't pleased with the book that he did with Aretha in 1999, and wanted to revisit her story from another perspective. Quite a few of the more revealing quotes seem to come from interviews done with now deceased people like Rev. James Cleveland, Billy Preston, and Aretha's own siblings.

Interesting the word "promiscuous" in the promo; a promiscuous Baptist preacher for a father and two children in her teens; how old was she ~ 13 and 15 or 14 and 16?

If that happened in Canada these days, you'd could have visits from both the Child Protection Authorities and the RCMP.

What a life!

Berry Gordy and the Dr. Rev. C.L. Franklin

LOL! Unkind but kinda funny and probably true.

Hi!

The 1999 book, "From These Roots", has been one of the biggest disappointments for me among biographies.

Best regards
    Heikki

I hope this is avaiable on Kindle.

I'm pretty sure I got a notice about from IBooks.

Hi Heikki,
    The first book David did on Aretha she was not truthful, she was not forthcoming, she was hiding everything and wanted it to be all pretty and whitewashed. Because of that David considered it his worst book ever.
    The new book connects all the great stars to her and what they witnessed.

S.S.

Hi Soul Sister!

Nice hearing from you.
    I have already ordered this new book, but - being aware of David's normally high standard - already at that point, fifteen years ago, I was wondering, why did they bother to publish the book at all. I guess there were certain clauses in the contract between Aretha, her management and David and the publisher.

Best regards
    Heikki

I guess I'll be reading this book though there are some things that I'm not sure I understand
    about David's motives here. I agree the first book was a disappointment for me too but
    what did he expect? Did he think a woman who had become known as a giant figure all over
    the world was going to reveal to him every single detail of her life including every slip up
    flaw and scar? I read biographies and autobiographies year round and every time I read someone's memoirs, even if I enjoy their recollections, I know I'm only being told what
    they want me to know. So, Aretha's papa was a dog?...So were a lot of popular, successful
    and otherwise well loved men. So, Aretha was sexually active in her teens? So were millions of other people.I've known women who were grandmothers at 34. I just hope
    there's more to the story here than what the father and daughter were doing with their
    genitalia....

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I guess I'll be reading this book though there are some things that I'm not sure I understand
    about David's motives here. I agree the first book was a disappointment for me too but
    what did he expect? Did he think a woman who had become known as a giant figure all over
    the world was going to reveal to him every single detail of her life including every slip up
    flaw and scar? I read biographies and autobiographies year round and every time I read someone's memoirs, even if I enjoy their recollections, I know I'm only being told what
    they want me to know. So, Aretha's papa was a dog?...So were a lot of popular, successful
    and otherwise well loved men. So, Aretha was sexually active in her teens? So were millions of other people.I've known women who were grandmothers at 34. I just hope
    there's more to the story here than what the father and daughter were doing with their
    genitalia....
    Really good post Splanky!!!

Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Hi Soul Sister!

Nice hearing from you.
    I have already ordered this new book, but - being aware of David's normally high standard - already at that point, fifteen years ago, I was wondering, why did they bother to publish the book at all. I guess there were certain clauses in the contract between Aretha, her management and David and the publisher.

Best regards
    Heikki
    I am ordering it tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    genitalia....
    I listened to an interview with David and he said that the first book was written in Ree's voice. There was so much material he did not use and wanted to present how those close to her who love her saw her. He said he did not do it to trash her but to give the good and the bad of a complex life of an extraordinary woman.

Exactly, thank you, nysister.
    David is not the type of person who deals in trash just total honesty, a full rounded picture of any artist he works with. He loves and respects them all a great deal. Those that know him know how sincere he is and that's why many artists go to him to do their bio.

S.S.

There were quite a few things that were in Aretha's first book that left me thinking "HUH", which is why when I heard she was planning a movie on her life I was not interested. Now if a Lee Daniels or someone like that did a movie on her, I would be there on opening day. Haven't heard her mention the movie thing in a while, hopefully she's scrapped the idea.
    Aretha has always been a private person and coming from a private person [[me) I can understand her doing it the way that she did. I am looking forward to reading David's book. He's very credible and to my knowledge honest journalist who knows how to get to the meat of the story.

I've read the first 10% of the book [[Kindle tells you that).

Aretha's Mom left, probably because of CL's need for other women. There was a second lady that moved in, Lola, and they loved her and she replaced the Mother, who had died after she left. And Lola left too because of the philandering. And CL took up a life long stormy relationship with Clara Ward, and never gave up his other women.

And Aretha was a prodigy involved in a promiscuous church. As Ray Charles says, he loved orgies but he confined himself to women. And there was a large gay element in the church. I'm still somewhat surprised but I believe I have read that James Cleveland and Carolyn Franklin were gay, amongst other names I do not recognize; but some of you might.

Brutally honest - yes; the book is that. And Aretha at 12 saw the sexual part of it all, and wanted to participate and did, mostly like with Sam Cooke firstly.

This explains why Aretha's fuse is so short on the interviews.

Aretha was the introvert, devastated by all of the above and needing of support and the approval of her father.

This may answer some of your questions:

OOPS can post that info, SDF's photo uploader cannot accommodate a large image which what is needed to be able to read.

Maybe I'll do a album on Facebook when I am feeling better, down with a bad cold.

S.S.

They repeat the line in the book that of all Aretha's albums only Amazing Grace was platinum and it sold more than 2 million copies.

Love how she had her agent constantly plant stories in Jet about movies, restaurant, the kids leaving private school etc. Sounded like the Motown press releases.

So I've read the book. I feel it's the fullest Aretha bio we have so far, but most likely the "best" will not be written for a long time. Ritz writes well in a reportorial style without much passion. The facts [[as we are lead to believe) are stated well but without a real insight into Ms. Franklin's personal soul. I found the career info to be of the most interest to me. Sadly Aretha largely jettisons her own best interests by wanting to be in charge - it is her absolute right to do so. I admire Ritz for steering clear of much mention of Ms. Franklin's sons; I don't so much admire the very personal information he relays to the reader. It's truly a philosophical question: because one chooses public life does that make one's ENTIRE life open to the public? Upon completion I basically have the same opinion of Ms. Franklin as I did before reading: a beloved [[to me) singer and entertainer whom I wish the best and thank for so many years of top-quality entertainment. I will be at the concert at NJPAC in March and gladly rise to my feet as soon as Aretha makes her entrance, for she is a treasure in American music.

Freidman is a major Aretha-phile [[like myself!) and I admire his consistant support of Ms. Franklin. Side-stepping the philosophical question about the intrusion into the personal lives of public persons, I don't think the argument given by some [[including Freidman) that Ritz' quotes are invalid because the interviewees have passed away is a logical argument. It is odd, though, that a biographer who wants to be taken seriously does not index the book with dates and places of quoted interviews.

blueskies,
    I am going to say this only once in regard to that ridiculous article, I know David personally for a long time and I can tell you he's not a vindictive or revengeful person, that is so absurd it's laughable because it's totally the opposite of his kind and loving personality.

As far as Ray Charles goes they were very close friends since 1975 and spent time together discussing all sorts of things.
    Even Gladys Knight [[in her book) has talked about how jealous Aretha was even at 5 years old when they were on a show together as children and the way Aretha acted. Look how she snubbed Patti La Belle the other day on television. Aretha has always been a fabulous singer but many report not a nice person.

That is the true fact. Just ask any of the other artists who asked David to write their bio's. They love and trust him, because they got to know him.
    As far as the book... the quotes are from the people closest to Aretha not from David, he can only write what they have reported to him.
    Aretha is angry and who can blame her, no one wants all their dirty laundry aired in public, still it takes nothing away from the great great artist she is.
    We will always respect her talents and understand how the past developed the person.
    That's all I can add to the subject.

S.S.
    Last edited by Soul Sister; 11-17-2014 at 12:02 PM.

The book isn't even that bad toward Aretha. It constantly plays up her musical ability and talent. What she seems to object so much to is it shows through these interviews that the Aretha everyone else sees isn't the person she sees when she looks in the mirror. She has spent her life jealous of her siblings and jealous of the success of everyone around her and has overspent her entire life so she doesn't have the kind of money she should. Because she wouldn't fly for the last twenty five years, she hasn't earned the money that she should have.

She should just be quiet and make no further comment about the book. Her fans will stay with her and the way she is viewed isn't going to change that much; she never was an easy, happy personality. And she needs to stop issuing statements every time Beyoncé or Tina Turner are called Soul Queens.

Well said, jobeterob. Bravo!

There's nothing left to say.

S.S.

Roger Friedman is the worst. He wishes he were as good a writer as David Fritz.

skooldem1, he does come off as a jealous hater.
    Sweet and sincere people who are real attract more artists wanting to work with them than the non reputable ones that come off the way Friedman does.
    He probably wishes he was as loved as Ritz is, artists are seeking Ritz out on a regular basis. Writing takes time and research, Ritz chooses the most complicated and interesting ones aside from their great talents.

I am reading GLOW his Rick James bio, mostly written by Rick himself. Ritz loved Rick for his intelligence and deeply complicated personality.

S.S.

Friedman is an odd case. I admit I read his column and he seems to genuinely love and support soul music. But he is also SO happy anytime anything [[movie, bool, ch) fails, it's kinda creepy. He was constantly trashing Michael J during his life - but now is more protective. I'm wanting to know from other "Soulfuls" - have you read "Respect"? For all the controversy I must say from the CAREER standpoint of Aretha it's quite interesting -

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    Friedman is an odd case. I admit I read his column and he seems to genuinely love and support soul music. But he is also SO happy anytime anything [[movie, bool, ch) fails, it's kinda creepy. He was constantly trashing Michael J during his life - but now is more protective. I'm wanting to know from other "Soulfuls" - have you read "Respect"? For all the controversy I must say from the CAREER standpoint of Aretha it's quite interesting -
    I have read RESPECT and thought it was well-written. But I can understand Aretha not being happy about it some of the items in it even though they may very well be true. She enlisted Ritz to ghostwrite her biography FROM THESE ROOTS. Whether or not he was satisfied with it seems beside the point to me. She has the right to document her life the way she wishes.

I'm going to see if they have this book in Target. I dig Cissy Houston's Whitney bio and I look forward to buy this book. Roger and Aretha are buds or something so I can see why he would take offense. I also remember he went ham on MJ when he was alive.

smark21 Guest
    I signed the book out of the library and just finished reading it. It's good, though no masterpiece. Ritz does rely a lot on his interviews with Aretha's sisters and brothers as well as long time on and off booking agent as well as a few singers and producer exec Jerry Wexler. Best parts of the book are when Ritz dives into the music and albums she made and how they were produced. Also liked his insight on why Aretha's recorded music could be so strong in the 60s and 70s but her shows have always been inconsistent. I also like the comments from singer Carmen McRae lamenting how Aretha chose to chase hits in the 80s and onward rather than concentrate on making first class recordings.

Deficiencies of the book--a shame more people weren't interviewed as at times the quotes for the core 4 or 5 subjects get very repetitious. And at times, particularily in the latter part of the book, Ritz just seems to be reciting/listing various career events. Still it's a worthwhile read and I think I 'm going to have to get ahold of a box set of her Atlantic Recordings as one Greatest HIts CD is no longer sufficient to represent Aretha Franklin in my music collection.

Aretha striking back. As is her right, regardless:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.2022273

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    So I've read the book. I feel it's the fullest Aretha bio we have so far, but most likely the "best" will not be written for a long time. Ritz writes well in a reportorial style without much passion. The facts [[as we are lead to believe) are stated well but without a real insight into Ms. Franklin's personal soul. I found the career info to be of the most interest to me. Sadly Aretha largely jettisons her own best interests by wanting to be in charge - it is her absolute right to do so. I admire Ritz for steering clear of much mention of Ms. Franklin's sons; I don't so much admire the very personal information he relays to the reader. It's truly a philosophical question: because one chooses public life does that make one's ENTIRE life open to the public? Upon completion I basically have the same opinion of Ms. Franklin as I did before reading: a beloved [[to me) singer and entertainer whom I wish the best and thank for so many years of top-quality entertainment. I will be at the concert at NJPAC in March and gladly rise to my feet as soon as Aretha makes her entrance, for she is a treasure in American music.
    Me, my Brother and other friends went to McDowell elementary school on W Outer Drive, with Clarence and Edward in the late 60's, then on to Beaubien Jr High [[back then) on Wyoming. I believe they stayed on Sorrento or Steel right off OD. They seemed like regular kids, not arrogant or cocky because of their famous Mother. After graduation, I moved out of state and lost contact with them and everyone else went different ways. I wonder how are they now?

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Me, my Brother and other friends went to McDowell elementary school on W Outer Drive, with Clarence and Edward in the late 60's, then on to Beaubien Jr High [[back then) on Wyoming. I believe they stayed on Sorrento or Steel right off OD. They seemed like regular kids, not arrogant or cocky because of their famous Mother. After graduation, I moved out of state and lost contact with them and everyone else went different ways. I wonder how are they now?
    That's interesting, and nice to hear! I hope Clarence and Edward are happy guys.

I just finished reading my copy of David Ritz's new bio on Aretha Franklin., "Respect," and it is a stunner! I now have so much more background to help me understand what was motivating her at different points in her career when I listen to her albums. As Jerry Wexler stated, “I think of Aretha as Our Lady of Mysterious Sorrows,” he wrote in “Rhythm and the Blues.” “Anguish surrounds Aretha as surely as the glory of her musical aura.”
    I have been researching the life and times of Mae West for my manuscript, "In Search of Mae West," and have uncovered that much of her documented life runs very opposite to the reality as well. Perhaps this is a trait of stars wanting to "rewrite history." From my point of view, knowing what obstacles and insecurities dogged Aretha, I now have even more RESPECT for her!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    I just finished reading my copy of David Ritz's new bio on Aretha Franklin., "Respect," and it is a stunner! I now have so much more background to help me understand what was motivating her at different points in her career when I listen to her albums. As Jerry Wexler stated, “I think of Aretha as Our Lady of Mysterious Sorrows,” he wrote in “Rhythm and the Blues.” “Anguish surrounds Aretha as surely as the glory of her musical aura.”
    I have been researching the life and times of Mae West for my manuscript, "In Search of Mae West," and have uncovered that much of her documented life runs very opposite to the reality as well. Perhaps this is a trait of stars wanting to "rewrite history." From my point of view, knowing what obstacles and insecurities dogged Aretha, I now have even more RESPECT for her!
    Hi Mark – I, too, was informed by the biographic details as they pertained to Ms. Franklin as she was making her recordings. Additionally I also closed the book with a renewed and heightened appreciation for the sheer volume of performance [[recorded and live) she has accomplished in her career. I remember that quote by Wexler and I think it hits the nail on the head, though the quote always makes me shudder. I believe there’s lots of even more personal information that Ritz omitted in deference to Ms. Franklin, and that the ultimate i Soul bio will not be written until years after her passing [[may I never get to read it!) I think we all would like to rewrite our history – it’s a human trait. Best of luck with the Mae West effort – do you have a publication date?

RobertZ, I totally agree with your comment that the whole Aretha Franklin story may not be known until after her passing, which I hope will not occur for many more years to come. I was intrigued by Jerry Welxer's hope she record an instrumental album, but I think that day has passed. Regarding my manuscript, as high as my hopes are to see it in print, self publication may be the only way that will happen. One ray of light is that Bette Milder was reported to be working on a HBO Mae West bio-film. However, since that announcement well over a year ago, the project seems to have stalled, and in a recent interview to promote her new CD project and tour to back it up, no word at all on where this project stands.

Back to Aretha, please check out my new posting regarding her version of Jimmy Webb's "Mixed Up Guy[[Girl)."

You'd be surprised of how many big names are insecure. I won't reveal them though.

S.S.

SS: When you are "big" and you constantly have the adulation of the crowd when you are onstage, isn't insecurity a part of that? When that is your life, is that not what you need and something that you cannot give up?

Is that not why Otis Williams, Martha Reeves, Mary Wilson and Diana Ross cannot give it up?

Wondering what you think.

If you go to Amazon DE and open the book [[Blick Ins Buch) on the left top side, it is possible to read almost the whole book for free!

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    If you go to Amazon DE and open the book [[Blick Ins Buch) on the left top side, it is possible to read almost the whole book for free!
    I actually read quite a bit of it on Amazon before it was ever released. But there are also big gaps.

Good point jobeterob. Another that was publicly known to be insecure onstage was Marvin Gaye.

Today there a quite a few bigger artists [[top 1 percent) that use small teleprompters to remember the lyrics and all things must be perfect for them to perform live.

Artists that are used to performing in clubs all the time don't need none of that,, they are naturally good and secure in themselves and their performances.

S.S.
    Last edited by Soul Sister; 01-10-2015 at 01:17 AM.

Revisiting this thread because I finally read the book [[after all these years). heck, wih my life schedule it's hard to find time to read an almost 500 page book but I must say it was a good read and gave a lot of insight on the Aretha that we know and love. I was once in a rehearsal with her that include gospel singer BeBe Winans and The Clark Sisters. The way that she was running things made sure that she would not be overshadowed. She even snapped at BeBe Winans for what she called singing over her when all that he did was started singing his verse while she was on the last word of her verse.Everyone in the room seemed a bit confused because after all she is ARETHA FRANKLIN. What I gathered from the book is that she is fragile and insecure yet big and bold at the same time. Someone not open for criticism or advice [[hence some of her latter music and fashion choices) who even at this stage in her life feels that she has something to prove. She's been through a lot and has lost practically everyone who was close to her. Unfortunate that she hasn't sought counseling [[to our knowledge) to deal with her pain. I'm definitely thankful for the legacy of music that she has contributed to the world.
    Last edited by glencro; 01-23-2018 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Mispelled words

How can Ritz’ subjects” trust” him if he can turn around and subsequently write his own version years later ?

The subjects Ritz interviewed for the original autobiography gave him unfiltered feedback. He also did his own research and fact-finding. Aretha "cultivated" the autobiography to her own liking, as was her right because it was her book and her truth. Ritz [[and everyone who read it) found "From These Roots" boring, tepid and not at all forthright. His book is unauthorized but he cites the sources. Aretha suggests that Ritz has fabricated parts of the story [["lies, lies and more lies"). Others suggest the accounts of Ritz's subjects cannot be corroborated because many are now deceased. I think the truth is somewhere between "From These Roots" and Ritz's book.

TBF, didn't most of the people David interview was still alive at the time? I wonder what kept Ritz from releasing his version for 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Revisiting this thread because I finally read the book [[after all these years). heck, wih my life schedule it's hard to find time to read an almost 500 page book but I must say it was a good read and gave a lot of insight on the Aretha that we know and love. I was once in a rehearsal with her that include gospel singer BeBe Winans and The Clark Sisters. The way that she was running things made sure that she would not be overshadowed. She even snapped at BeBe Winans for what she called singing over her when all that he did was started singing his verse while she was on the last word of her verse.Everyone in the room seemed a bit confused because after all she is ARETHA FRANKLIN. What I gathered from the book is that she is fragile and insecure yet big and bold at the same time. Someone not open for criticism or advice [[hence some of her latter music and fashion choices) who even at this stage in her life feels that she has something to prove. She's been through a lot and has lost practically everyone who was close to her. Unfortunate that she hasn't sought counseling [[to our knowledge) to deal with her pain. I'm definitely thankful for the legacy of music that she has contributed to the world.
    Glencro, agree with your assessment. It was a good read! Your highlights that Re-Re can be a diva too.