[REMOVE ADS]

Aretha Franklin Sings "At Last" on The Today Show!

Aretha sings "At Last" from her new hit CD, "Aretha Franklin Sings the Great Diva Classics"! Here she is on the Today Show last week [[pay close attention to her Four Tops reference):

Oh 'Ree, ....at last!

She totally nailed it! This is one incredible woman.

Wow the looks and sounds great...long live queen aretha.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She totally nailed it! This is one incredible woman.
    God Bless The Queen!

marv2, not only do I want to thank you for posting this, but on the same link for this, Aretha also performs,"Rolling In the Deep," and gives a shoutout to Clive Davis AND Berry Gordy. Now that is class!
    Last edited by Mark Desjardines; 10-15-2014 at 03:08 PM.

Sometmes I think less is more. These songs are one of those times. I really don't care for Aretha's rendition of "Rolling In The Deep" at all. She way over sings it and the add on of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" at the end makes no sense to me.

I realize most will disagree with me, but I'm not wild about her version of "At Last" either. Why all the Christina Aguilera type runs?? We know she can do the vocal gymnastics, but I don't think they're necessary on these songs. I would love to hear her sing them straight. I think they would sound much better to my ears.

Having said that, I do think Aretha sounds better than she has in years. I could do without the over singing.

~~Mary~~
    Last edited by Mary G Jive Five; 10-15-2014 at 01:39 PM.

Mary, I totally agree with you. She needs to ease back a bit, but she's sounding pretty good otherwise. I'd love to have heard her sing 'At Last' without all the 'extras'. However I'm delighted that the new album has brought her back into the public's ears and eyes again. She's obviously working the promotion very well. I'm sure the album will be a commercial success as a result, but I have to say that for me......from what I've heard....it's all a bit harsh and oversung.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by alanh View Post
    Mary, I totally agree with you. She needs to ease back a bit, but she's sounding pretty good otherwise. I'd love to have heard her sing 'At Last' without all the 'extras'. However I'm delighted that the new album has brought her back into the public's ears and eyes again. She's obviously working the promotion very well. I'm sure the album will be a commercial success as a result, but I have to say that for me......from what I've heard....it's all a bit harsh and oversung.
    I just got the album and you are right on the button when Aretha sings everybody stops - she is really very good still but the times she lets rip with vocal gymnastics it all get a little over the top. Her version of Midnight Train is really good but spoiled by too many frills. My only disappointment with the whole set is I Will Survive which is taken initially at a snails pace before exploding into a scat driven disco floor filler. I just think this is a track that should be left well alone and that includes the Miss Ross version.
    All in all though this a great efforts even if at times she overdoes it. I like Rolling In The Deep I can really imagine this being a really big hit for Aretha back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    marv2, not do I want to thank you for posting this, but on the same link for this, Aretha also performs,"Rolling In the Deep," and gives a shoutout to Clive Davis AND Berry Gordy. Now that is class!
    Total class! Just think, a little over 3 years ago many felt Aretha only had months to live due to an unknown health scare. Well God is good, God is great and we still have the Queen to really enjoy! Thank you!

marv2, meant to say not ONLY do I want to thank you! oops!
    Last edited by Mark Desjardines; 10-15-2014 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    marv2, meant to say not ONLY do I want to thank you! loops!

It's ok bro, I understood!

Quote Originally Posted by Mary G Jive Five View Post
    Sometmes I think less is more. These songs are one of those times. I really don't care for Aretha's rendition of "Rolling In The Deep" at all. She way over sings it and the add on of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" at the end makes no sense to me.

I realize most will disagree with me, but I'm not wild about her version of "At Last" either. Why all the Christina Aguilera type runs?? We know she can do the vocal gymnastics, but I don't think they're necessary on these songs. I would love to hear her sing them straight. I think they would sound much better to my ears.

Having said that, I do think Aretha sounds better than she has in years. I could do without the over singing.

~~Mary~~
    Mary, unfortunately over-singing and running for your life on a song is what quite a few young singers like and it drives me crazy, especially in church, when a young singer will get up and destroy a beautiful melodious hymn running all over the place. I just wish singers would save the runs for the live concert and record the songs straight in the studio, that way, the audience will be surprise. Jill Scott is that type of young singer that gives you beautiful melodies in the studio, but when you experience her live in concert, she skills it every time, and her range is ridiculous, and the audience is blown away. And, of course, the legendary Gladys Knight is another one. I agree that Ree is sounding and looking good but I guess at this stage in her life, she is just having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by nysister View Post
    Mary, unfortunately over-singing and running for your life on a song is what quite a few young singers like and it drives me crazy, especially in church, when a young singer will get up and destroy a beautiful melodious hymn running all over the place. I just wish singers would save the runs for the live concert and record the songs straight in the studio, that way, the audience will be surprise. Jill Scott is that type of young singer that gives you beautiful melodies in the studio, but when you experience her live in concert, she skills it every time, and her range is ridiculous, and the audience is blown away. And, of course, the legendary Gladys Knight is another one. I agree that Ree is sounding and looking good but I guess at this stage in her life, she is just having fun.
    nysister,

I'm well aware many young singers over sing and use runs whenever they can. It ruins the simplicity of the lyrics and melodies on some of the songs they sing.

Aretha may be having fun, as you say, but I don't think it's necessary for a vocalist of her stature to ruin a song like "Rolling In The Deep" of "At Last" in the same fashion. She's better than that. The great singers know less is more and they practice it, especially when the song calls for it.

Having said that, I wish Aretha all the best and I hope she has a hit album on her hands. I just think it would have been much better without the over singing and unneccesary vocal gymnastics. Just one woman's opinion.

~~Mary~~