[REMOVE ADS]

"Nightflight" Tue Oct 7, 9P-12M ET: Singer/Songwriter Tribute #2-Laura Nyro!

Howdy there, Folks! Tonight's special presentation in my "Singer/Songwriter Tribute" series is the second of four, and tonight's musical genius is Laura Nyro. I'll play for you Laura's own versions, as well as some covers and a very special set of some very recently released tribute versions. In researching tonight's show, I also found some rare demo versions by Laura you may not have heard before. And finally...will there be Motown tonight? Well of course! If you know Laura...she loved the Motown! All this and more...tonight...on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and we are streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org Thanks! See you on the radio! John

John, as a teen growing up in Ottawa, Canada, I was very fortunate to strike up a friendship with the president of The Supremes fan club, living in Montreal. He started up a small unique record shop where you could sit on sofas and listen to records before buying them. He was a huge booster of Laura Nyro and because of that I became a fan as well. I was lucky to have seen Laura perform in Vancouver at the height of her creativity and am thrilled that you are devoting an entire evening to her music on "Nightflight."Name:  P1170249.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  24.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    John, as a teen growing up in Ottawa, Canada, I was very fortunate to strike up a friendship with the president of The Supremes fan club, living in Montreal. He started up a small unique record shop where you could sit on sofas and listen to records before buying them. He was a huge booster of Laura Nyro and because of that I became a fan as well. I was lucky to have seen Laura perform in Vancouver at the height of her creativity and am thrilled that you are devoting an entire evening to her music on "Nightflight."Name:  P1170249.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  24.3 KB
    Hey there, Mark! I love that Laura is a special part of your musical life as she is for me. I became a lover of Laura in early '68. I was wandering through downtown Boston and saw her "More Than A New Discovery" in a record shop.... just on a hunch, I bought it....and the die was cast for me. I got to see Laura in a relatively small venue in Northern Virginia in the mid-80s...words escape me for how wonderful she was. I do a Laura tribute [[as I do Dusty, Jimmy Webb, Joni Mitchell....who will be next week's genius btw....and Ashford and Simpson) at least once a year. Hope you will be listening in! And thanks for posting one of my favorite pics!!!

....in the studio....HOWDEEEEEEE!!

Evening John and the gang

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Evening John and the gang
    Hello there Glen!!! [[and Carl?)

Carl is here... Although temporarily.... Enjoying the show immensely!

fun fact : Laura Nyro used to vacation here on Hilton Head Island during the summers with her partner and son.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Carl is here... Although temporarily.... Enjoying the show immensely!

fun fact : Laura Nyro used to vacation here on Hilton Head Island during the summers with her partner and son.
    Interesting!!! .....and thanks!

Hear ye, hear ye! Laura Nyro has more than arrived!

Thanks for the great music by this extremely talented entertainer!

Howard in Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover View Post
    Hear ye, hear ye! Laura Nyro has more than arrived!

Thanks for the great music by this extremely talented entertainer!

Howard in Long Beach, CA
    Howard.....great to see you....hello there!!!

John, totally enjoying this evening's program. I wish that Laura Nyro's son would be able to get his long promised sampled CD out using his mom's music.

John, totally enjoying this evening's program. I wish that Laura Nyro's son would be able to get his long promised sampled CD out using his mom's music.
    Mark....glad your there. I didn't know about her son's samples!

Hello Everyone,

I'm here, listening and enjoying. Educate me more on Laura Nyro.

Thanks for sharing that wonderful interview with Laura!

Thanks for sharing that wonderful interview with Laura!
    Mark....so glad you enjoyed it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    Mark....so glad you enjoyed it!!!
    Wow i always come on during a supreme moment thanks for playing that time and love i have both versions. By jean on supremes touch and diana 1970 expanded on seperate albums. it would have been nice if they recorded it together right. Im here late but here.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    Wow i always come on during a supreme moment thanks for playing that time and love i have both versions. By jean on supremes touch and diana 1970 expanded on seperate albums. it would have been nice if they recorded it together right. Im here late but here.
    Yes, Fran....you do come at remarkable times....great to see you!

Thanks all...a whole lot!!! Have a great week....see you next week for Part 3 of Singer/Songwriters...with a tribute to Joni Mitchell!! And the following week....Ashford and Simpson!