[REMOVE ADS]

Shalamar featuring jody watley concerts in japan

According to Jody Watley's official website she's doing a few shows billed as Shalamar featuring Jody Watley with original member Gerald Brown [[the voice on Take That To The Bank). She was recently on The DL Hughley radio show and she said that she would join the original members if they did it her way. Name:  shalamar_featuring_jodywatley.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  7.8 KB

She's a diva.

I agree Carlo but at the same time I believe that she would have a very hip reunited Shalamar as opposed to the group just getting back together for the sake of getting back together

She's not a diva. She is just trying to protect the legacy and image of the group. Hewett and Daniels wouldn't cooperate, so she's doing it this way. If the latter two guys would just check their egos, all four of them could get together for a hell of a show, and maybe even a new album.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    She's not a diva. She is just trying to protect the legacy and image of the group. Hewett and Daniels wouldn't cooperate, so she's doing it this way. If the latter two guys would just check their egos, all four of them could get together for a hell of a show, and maybe even a new album.
    Soulster
    I would to agree with you regarding Jody. It was their egos which caused her to leave the group. Not sure about Jeffrey and Howard but I would have to say that Jody is the only one out of three that currently has product out. Btw Jody used to workout at the same gym that I did and she was a very gracious to me and others around her.

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Soulster
    I would to agree with you regarding Jody. It was their egos which caused her to leave the group. Not sure about Jeffrey and Howard but I would have to say that Jody is the only one out of three that currently has product out. Btw Jody used to workout at the same gym that I did and she was a very gracious to me and others around her.
    I probably shouldn't have included Jeffrey Daniels in that. Howard Hewitt is the ego in that group, and the one who refuses to cooperate because he has to be the "name" out in front. I'll bet he thinks he "made" the group.

Not to disagree, but if Jody Watley was the straw that stirred that drink, she wouldn't be confusing ticket buyers by calling her revue 'Shalamar'. She's got more than enough product on her own to make for a great show without the group's material, but she's taking a shot at the other two with the name of the show. Ego notwithstanding, when Howard Hewitt left that group, I considered it a sham. Their best music was behind them and the greatest songs had him singing either lead or in duet with her.

With that said, if he was to tour as 'Shalamar featuring Howard Hewitt', I'd have the same opinion. They are both divas, in my opinion, but he's got more bitch in him than she does, so I guess he is worse.

I could never understand why groups fall apart when they stand to benefit so much from just working together. Dick Griffey had his chance to satisfy everybody in that outfit but chose to puff up Hewitt instead of her, so [[although he's one of my favorite industry men) I blame him for the BS as much as I blame Hewitt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Not to disagree, but if Jody Watley was the straw that stirred that drink, she wouldn't be confusing ticket buyers by calling her revue 'Shalamar'. She's got more than enough product on her own to make for a great show without the group's material, but she's taking a shot at the other two with the name of the show. Ego notwithstanding, when Howard Hewitt left that group, I considered it a sham. Their best music was behind them and the greatest songs had him singing either lead or in duet with her.

With that said, if he was to tour as 'Shalamar featuring Howard Hewitt', I'd have the same opinion. They are both divas, in my opinion, but he's got more bitch in him than she does, so I guess he is worse.

I could never understand why groups fall apart when they stand to benefit so much from just working together. Dick Griffey had his chance to satisfy everybody in that outfit but chose to puff up Hewitt instead of her, so [[although he's one of my favorite industry men) I blame him for the BS as much as I blame Hewitt.
    I understand your point but I think Jody is trying to get mileage from the name that she said she has the trademark for. If Howard is the problem then Jeffrey can get on board with Jody and the 2nd lead singer Gary Brown who will tour with Jody as Shalamar. Just a thought

I honestly hope that she does well. But in my opinion, I don't want to see one perform as Shalamar without the other two. I once saw a 'Drifters' concert with a band of singers who were just a few years older than me [[I was born in 1962) and while I sang along and enjoyed myself, I couldn't past the fact that the guys who made those songs great had either died out quit many years before. I could have joined them on stage, but that wouldn't have made me one of the Drifters.

And when I see Earth, Wind & Fire without Maurice White, I miss him. Can you imagine Maze without Frankie Beverly? I feel the same for this iteration of Shalamar.

smark21 Guest
    Did Jeffrey Daniel ever sing in Shalamar? Or was he there to dance [[vey well indeed) and lipsynch?

I assume he did some background vocals but I really don't know. He was kind of the group's mascot like Flavor Flav was to PE [[even though he at least had his own songs).

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Not to disagree, but if Jody Watley was the straw that stirred that drink, she wouldn't be confusing ticket buyers by calling her revue 'Shalamar'. She's got more than enough product on her own to make for a great show without the group's material, but she's taking a shot at the other two with the name of the show.
    Remember that she can legally do this. She owns the name.

Ego notwithstanding, when Howard Hewitt left that group, I considered it a sham. Their best music was behind them and the greatest songs had him singing either lead or in duet with her.
    Remember that about the same time, the label's writers, producers, and musicians were having issues with Griffey, and Griffey had disputes with Elektra, and turned his attention to his deal with MCA, and the band Klyymaxx. Shalamar suffered because of all of this. It's not like Griffey created the problem. And, Hewett left the label to go solo.

I put the blame on Hewitt alone.

Where did Griffey puff up Hewitt? He was the better singer of the two, but they were about equal in their duties. Daniels was the one not doing much or missing half the time.

And as far as being more successful, Jody Watley far outpaced Hewitt. She went after the more energetic mainstream audience while he was content with doing R&B ballads.

In the 'Unsung' episode about Shalamar, Watley explains how Hewitt threatened to leave the group unless he got a huge pay increase. She thought that they were basically equals in the act until she found out that Griffey quietly acquiesced and gave Hewitt much more money than the other two received. She held him in content for not treating them as equals.

In my personal opinion, Hewitt should have worked with his mates to get them all paid better but he was more concerned about himself.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Did Jeffrey Daniel ever sing in Shalamar? Or was he there to dance [[vey well indeed) and lipsynch?
    Jeffrey wrote and sang lead some cuts on the "Go For It" lp which featured the single "Sweeter As The Days Go By".