[REMOVE ADS]

MOTOWN: The movie?

From today's Detroit News:

What’s next for “Motown: The Musical” after its road company hits Detroit in a few weeks, and the Broadway production goes to London?

“Motown: The Movie,” according to Berry Gordy, who co-produced the musical, wrote the production’s book and, of course, founded Motown.

“Oh yeah, we’re talking to [[movie) studios, and there’s definitely plans,” Gordy told The Detroit News on Wednesday. “We have not made a decision yet.”

After a soft opening Oct. 21 in Detroit, “Motown: The Musical’s” road production will be ensconced at the Fisher Theatre until Nov. 16.

The Broadway production is on hiatus, because much of it will be required for the London production, which opens in the spring of 2015.

Gordy is especially looking forward to bringing “Motown: The Musical” to Detroit, sharing with his hometown the story of how he grew up here and founded Motown, inspired by native son Joe Louis’ victory in the boxing ring over the German Max Schmeling.

“I saw my parents crying, after Joe Louis won. I wanted to do something with my life that would make people that happy,” Gordy says. He expects to see a lot of his Motown artists at the Oct. 22 premier, since many turned up to see the Broadway show.

“What’s it going to be like in Detroit? More love and more joy, than age or time can ever destroy,” Gordy said, quoting Smokey Robinson [[ “More Love”).

swhitall@detroitnews.com
    Written by Susan Whitall

Lots of incredibly good Motown news these days! Well done Berry!

Real real excited about this now my first thought is whos going to play the First Lady of Motown Dr Martha Reeves? Im thinking Tessa ThompsonAttachment 8532

Roberta

She looks more like valerie simpson to me.

The movie will dwarf the success of the Broadway Musical.

This is a no-brainer. Look at how Jersey boys went from Broadway to Cinemas and cleaned up.!

Quote Originally Posted by scanspeak View Post
    This is a no-brainer. Look at how Jersey boys went from Broadway to Cinemas and cleaned up.!
    This is the way it used to be. Broadway shows were transferred to the Silver Screen. But for years, it has been reversed and movies were turned into musicals. The last one to come and go was ROCKY THE MUSICAL

I hope this comes to fruition. Getting movies "greenlighted" is not the easiest thing in the world. The key characters would, of course, be Mr. Gordy and Diana. But there was still so much that wasn't even captured like the successful run by Rare Earth. [[Considering his bold move early on to hire white employees and basically destroy any racial lines....there would have been at least a tip of the hat to Rare Earth). I hope he restores some of the moving performances back into the road show. What immediately comes to mind is the heart wrenching recreation of Paul Williams astounding performance of "For Once in My Life" from "T.C.B." And more Stevie please. That was truly baffling that his contribution seemed not nearly as significant as it truly is, never mind the mere fact that he is the only remaining artist still signed to Motown today.

There definitely should be a lot of story development because they shouldn't be playing music videos the whole movie long.
    There would be a lot of choices to make.

There are way too many stories to tell regarding Motown to make a mere 2 hour movie. It should be a mini-series or even a series, but factual [[well, as factual as possible anyway).

I think I would prefer a mini series documentary rather than a movie.

Movies tend to deal with specific acknowledged events but it's the events that are not usually spoken about which are the more interesting!

The movie is the obvious progression.

But it's true, the movie is going to miss a hundred big stories.

And a mini series thereafter would be a really good idea ~ hitting a lot of what the musical and the movie miss.

If you recall, "Motown 40" was supposed to be 10 DVD series for commercial release. If it were a documentary, I thoroughly enjoyed that format.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    If you recall, "Motown 40" was supposed to be 10 DVD series for commercial release. If it were a documentary, I thoroughly enjoyed that format.
    I loved that if only for the short TV clip of the Velvelettes miming to "He Was Really Saying Something". I'd never seen it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    I had never heard that. But I suspect that format was not popular or successful enough to warrant its continuation.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I had never heard that. But I suspect that format was not popular or successful enough to warrant its continuation.
    That is probably true. It needs a producer like Suzanne de Passé, who originally said it was going to be a 10 episodic release. Getting investors aboard is the key. But it is baffling that some investors or corporation didn't see the value in releasing "Motown 25" earlier, especially since "Motown returns to the Apollo" made it to laser disc [[a now defunct format) and I believe VHS. While that was a successful special, it surely isn't as well known as "Motown 25". Michael's passing alone was a significant though tragic incentive to capitalize on.

Motown 40 is in my opinion the best of the Motown documentaries. I have a very scratchy copy of it which I watch over and over. Would be so thrilled if it were released again like Motown 25.

Quote Originally Posted by scanspeak View Post
    Motown 40 is in my opinion the best of the Motown documentaries. I have a very scratchy copy of it which I watch over and over. Would be so thrilled if it were released again like Motown 25.
    I agree with you.