[REMOVE ADS]

Mariah Carey Is Named The Most Successful Singer Of All Time

According to Time Magazine, Mariah Carey has been named "The Most Successful Singer Of All Time". Beating out artists like The Beatles, Celine Dion, Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Madonna, Elvis Presley, Prince, The Supremes, Barbra Streisand, Stevie Wonder and other artists before her music career. Mariah also surpasses artists during her music decade and artists of today like Christina Aguilera, Adele, Beyoncé, Justin Bieber, Chris Brown, Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga, Ariana Grande, Jay-Z, Bruno Mars, Nicki Minaj, Ne-Yo, Katy Perry, Rihanna, Britney Spears, Taylor Swift, Justin Timberlake, Usher and Lil' Wayne.

One must consider Time magazine's audience. Stuff like this helps them tweak their content to the readership that would vote for her over all others. Frankly, to this 50+ year-old, it is almost shocking that Elvis could get beat out. But, then, i'm gettin' old!

Mariah wins on dat body alone!
    Last edited by soulster; 09-29-2014 at 02:05 AM.

Great for Mariah. I'll look at the magazine when it comes to the office. She's been hugely successful as have 20 or so other artists. I see Barbra Streisand has been number 1 in six decades; Mariah probably won't manage that. Hopefully, she'll manage her life better than Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston!

I think I'd go with the Beatles as being the most successful.

The poll was about singers. The Beatles would be classified a bit differently. I'd vote for The Beatles for the top band in human history.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    One must consider Time magazine's audience. Stuff like this helps them tweak their content to the readership that would vote for her over all others. Frankly, to this 50+ year-old, it is almost shocking that Elvis could get beat out. But, then, i'm gettin' old!

Mariah wins on dat body alone!
    She does have lovely charms.............hehehehehehehe......!

I'm afraid I couldn't name one song she has recorded, yet I know most of Elvis's, Madonna's, Beatles, Michael Jackson's, Temptations, Four Tops, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Curtis Mayfield, ad infinitum...hmmm I wonder why that is!!!

PS having a fit body has never equated to talent in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by mr soul View Post
    I'm afraid I couldn't name one song she has recorded, yet I know most of Elvis's, Madonna's, Beatles, Michael Jackson's, Temptations, Four Tops, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Curtis Mayfield, ad infinitum...hmmm I wonder why that is!!!

Could be a generational thing. I didn't know who Justin Bieber was until about 2 years ago.

I'm curious as to what makes her the most successful? Number of hits? Most popular? Most album sales? Most revenue from concerts or all of those things and more?

Marv2...I assume generational thing is implying that I'm too young to be into her music. lol

It would be interesting to know the criteria. Having said that, it's good to see someone who can actually sing be the most successful of all time.

~~Mary~~

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Could be a generational thing. I didn't know who Justin Bieber was until about 2 years ago.
    And I bet that was a sorry day! Was for me! LOL

I didn't say her body was fit. I said it was HOT! Lots of womanly curves, silky skin, nice boobs, thick legs...oh well...

Hell! Are you kidding??? I can name several of her songs right off the top of my head!

I'll Be There
    Emotions
    And You Don't Remember
    Make It Happen
    Vision Of Love
    Dreamlover

Check out her Essentials 2-CD set.

Name:  2db86430923ac5bf6279cea53d30347d.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  36.9 KB

Disc One – Selections: 1. Vision Of Love • 2. Love Takes Time • 3. Vanishing • 4. I Don’t Wanna Cry • 5. Emotions [[12-inch Mix) • 6. Can't Let Go • 7. Make It Happen • 8. I’ll Be There [[featuring Trey Lorenz) • 9. Dreamlover • 10. Hero • 11. Without You • 12. Anytime You Need A Friend [[C + C Club Remix) • 13. Endless Love [[duet with Luther Vandross) • 14. Fantasy.

Disc Two – Selections: 1. One Sweet Day [[Mariah Carey & Boyz II Men) • 2. Always Be My Baby • 3. Underneath The Stars • 4. Honey • 5. Butterfly • 6. My All • 7. Close My Eyes • 8. The Roof [[Mobb Deep Extended Version) • 9. When You Believe [[from The Prince Of Egypt) [[Mariah Carey & Whitney Houston) • 10. I Still Believe • 11. Heartbreaker [[featuring Jay-Z) • 12. Bliss • 13. Thank God I Found You [[featuring Joe & 98 Degrees) • 14. Can't Take That Away [[Mariah’s Theme).
    Last edited by soulster; 09-30-2014 at 05:14 PM.

Fit/Hot maybe a generational thing...not kidding either don't listen to the radio or buy her cd's or go where they would be playing her music.

Marv2...I assume generational thing is implying that I'm too young to be into her music. lol
    Of course that's what I meant mr. Soul...........hehehehehehehehe!

Fit/Hot maybe a generational thing...not kidding either don't listen to the radio or buy her cd's or go where they would be playing her music.
    You don't go to grocery stores?

Soulster...yes, however what's Mariah Carey got to do with Asda does she own shares?

Soulster...yes, however what's Mariah Carey got to do with Asda does she own shares?
    No, what I mean is that many grocery stores play "muzak", and oftentimes, you'll hear a Mariah Carey song, unless you're in a hick town, or something.

Sorry Soulster not in my neck of the woods, thank goodness.

Sorry Soulster not in my neck of the woods, thank goodness.
    If you seriously listen to her first two albums, you will hear some excellent music and singing. Give it a chance.

Mariah is a great singer no doubt. But of all time? As far as female singers go I would have to say Streisand. When I first heard Vision Of Love I was amazed at what I was hearing. After that I lost interest very quickly. I can't consider someone who finger waves every time she hits a high note successful of all time. I do like her but I wouldn't put her on that level. Whitney yes, Mariah no.

I'm actually one who likes Mariah, and I still wouldn't consider her best of all time. Are they saying best female pop singer? I think I'd go with Diana Ross if you combined her solo and Supremes work. Mariah also sold tunes pre-internet and post-Supremes when the population of this country was much larger than the Motown.

I wouldn't be surprised if she's the top seller. To my surprise, Boyz 2 Men sold zillions and kept the Motown bank running quite well for a decade. I knew they sold well, just more than I expected.

I love Mariah's tune "Dream Lover" -- it's awesome. I also like "Vision of Love" and the re-make of "I'll Be There." Early in her career I think she was more into vocal gymnastics, showing off her fantastic range. "Dream Lover" is just a fun pop/soul song without the acrobatics.

Her newer stuff catered more to the hip-hop, which I'm not into. Her early stuff, IMO, is quite good. Good singing and good production.

Best of all-time [[solo, not groups) any gender? I'd go with Michael Jackson, Diana Ross, Marvin Gaye, Sam Cooke ... and yeah, probably Mariah in the top 5. [[OK, I like Elvis, think he's a bit overrated, however.) Mariah as best-ever? Wow, just not seeing or hearing it, but she's talented.

My favorite of her's, lots of fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqBtS6BIP1E

Nathan you are so right after Vision of Love and her second album it was over for me! I love Mariah and I think that she is truly gifted but of all time no this is subjective. That honor could go to Miss Ross, Aretha, Streisand I mean there are so many factors. If you were to go by record sales there are MANY who could fit this bill Madonna, and the ones named above and maybe more. Sorry Mariah doesnt fit this bill for me a lot of this is subjective remember they were saying TLC was the best selling of all time and that is subjective as well.

Her problems started when she left divorced Tommy Mottola, left Sony once her contract was up, and signed with Virgin, and called her own shots. When the "Glitter" soundtrack bombed. she had an emotional breakdown. Not that all of those factors were related, but she wanted to go after the contemporary sounds, not realizing that many in her old audience didn't like her more contemporary sound, and the rest had aged and had moved on. The situation was so bad with "Glitter" because the label had such high expectations of her, they paid her to leave the label! She made out nicely, but it was embarrassing and demoralizing. But, she recovered and got a new contract, obviously, but has never regained what she had in the 90s.

The main reason she went after the younger audience is partly because of her marriage to Mottola. He tried to mold her into something she wasn't. She didn't like having to conform to an image, either professionally, or as his wife. And, he was much older than she was. She basically went right from living with her mother to marrying him, so she never had a chance to sow her wild oats, so to speak.

Having said that, give a listen to her latest album. It was a return to form, of sorts, and there is some great stuff in there, especially the opening track, but the rest is unexciting [[to me, anyway). IMO, her best stuff was all on Columbia from the beginning to the end of that contract. But, during that time, and a bit afterward, she achieved a lot of accomplishments, and deserves her rewards for them.

What I didn't like was how she kept using that high-pitched note as her signature. Most of her fans loved it, I hated it. She could ruin her voice doing it. Just look at what happened to Whitney Houston. I mean, the high pitch was fun on her hit single "Emotions", but it was overdone. It got to the point where all she had to do was go out in front of an audience and wail, and get a standing applause.

Man, these two threads really need to be combined! There's just no sense in having two threads of the exact, same thing.

Srry... I don't see her as being the most successful singer of all time. I just don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Srry... I don't see her as being the most successful singer of all time. I just don't.
    But, the numbers don't lie.

The only thing good is that she made some money unlike the thousand musicians before her who lived close to poverty or had to perform until their 80's to make a buck

edafan

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    The only thing good is that she made some money unlike the thousand musicians before her who lived close to poverty or had to perform until their 80's to make a buck

edafan
    I'm sure she learned a lot by being married to the president of a record conglomerate.