[REMOVE ADS]

Marvelettes LP queston.

Does anyone know why the Marvelettes after the release of Live on stage, in 1963, didnt release another till 1967 [[Pink Album)???

IMO they recorded a lot of good material like, i'll keep on holdin on, dont mess with Bill, too many fish etc. I know some of them appear on greatest hits but I consider that a compilation album.

I made my own Album of recordings from the 1964/5 period. Just wondering what you all think of it.
    1. because I love him
    2. danger, heartbreak dead ahead
    3. dont mess with bill
    4. i dried my teardrops for the very last time
    5. I should have known better
    6. I keep on holding on
    7. little girls grow up
    8. on the other side of town
    9. too many fish in the sea
    10your my remedy.

Name:  403408_259967524101270_815360143_n.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  39.4 KB

Good question,one theory is that although my girl's were still recording great songs berry turned his attention to the supremes and that was it for the marvelettes and martha and the vandellas.

Very cool, TYK1986. And, just to round out the track list to an even 12 [[which is what most Motown albums contained back at that time, I would add "No Time For Tears" and "The Boy From Crosstown" or "Love Is Good".

Also, Martha Reeves & The Vandellas had a slew of 45's over the years which never got included on an album. Makes ya wonder why!

Looking at chart positions, it doesn't seem like the Marvelettes or the Vandellas ever had strong album sales except for their GREATEST HITS compilations. This could be a factor in Motown releasing fewer albums on them.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  21.1 KB
    You should change that nice cover to read "YOU'RE MY REMEDY" rather than
    "YOUR". It draws a lot of attention, and spoils that great look of the otherwise very professional effort.

I agree that "The Boy From Crosstown" should be added, as well as "The Grass Seems Greener" and "Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers" should be added as well.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Looking at chart positions, it doesn't seem like the Marvelettes or the Vandellas ever had strong album sales except for their GREATEST HITS compilations. This could be a factor in Motown releasing fewer albums on them.
    a great factor has to be the supremes who had 7 @lbum releases that charted from sept 64 thru dec 65 no motown act was selling more albums than the supremes. The marveletres had two charted albums and the vandellas had 5 thru their entire career. Barney ales said albums started selling for the company with those supremes relases which put motown on the map. I was looking for a marvelettes and vandellas album when both too many fish in the sea and my baby loves me came out but jumped on their greatest hits pkg when they came out.
    Last edited by franjoy56; 09-27-2014 at 05:46 PM. Reason: omission

"The Grass Seems Greener" has Bettie Winston on lead, so I don't think it can qualify for inclusion.

Thanks Robb-k!!! didnt even see I made that mistake. Glad I can still change it .

I just listened to boy from crosstown and will add it. Really like it
    Always wondered if they would have released an album build on dont mess with Bill if greatest hits wasnt released in 1966. Still a shame nothing was released in 64/65/66.
    The Vandellas didnt release anything either in 1964 which is strange after the smash hit dancing in the street.

I like grass seems greener. I found a few years ago a demo or something with just the background and bandtrack. You can hear the lead but very soft.

Who is Bettie Winston?

smark21 Guest
    A lot of Greatest hits albums released are anchored by the new single/latest hit, so I wouldn't put Don't Mess with Bill on the album. Here are my 12, in no particular order:

As Long as I Know He's Mine
    He's A Good Guy
    Little Girl Blue
    Finders Keepers
    You're My Remedy
    A Need for Love
    Other Side of Town
    Too Many Fish in the Sea
    I'll Keep Holding On
    Little Girls Grow Up
    Danger Heartbreak Dead Ahead
    No Time for Tears

Back in the day, before CDs, and even before Motown was releasing any of its rare tracks, I made my own cassette tape of what I called "Marvelettes Rare Masters." It had all of the titles which smark21 lists above except for "Finders Keepers", "Little Girls Grow Up" and "Other Side of Town." I also included all the non-LP B sides such as "A Need for Love" and "Anything You Wanna Do." As with the poster who started this thread, I really wished there'd been an album or two before the "Pink" album. I loved that tape and played it all the time. I also had one for the Vandellas. I got my name "Rare Masters" from the LPs which were issued with that name from the Ronettes and Crystals, and other Philles groups, on import LPs at the time.
    Last edited by kenneth; 09-29-2014 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I got my name "Rare Masters" from the LPs which were issued with that name from the Ronettes and Crystals, and other Philles groups, on import LPs at the time.
    Yeah, Kenneth! Those two previously-unreleased Philles Rare Masters import albums on Phil Spector International were dynamite!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 09-29-2014 at 05:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TYK1986 View Post
    Does anyone know why the Marvelettes after the release of Live on stage, in 1963, didnt release another till 1967 [[Pink Album)???

IMO they recorded a lot of good material like, i'll keep on holdin on, dont mess with Bill, too many fish etc. I know some of them appear on greatest hits but I consider that a compilation album.

I made my own Album of recordings from the 1964/5 period. Just wondering what you all think of it.
    1. because I love him
    3. dont mess with bill
    6. I keep on holding on
    7. little girls grow up
    10your my remedy.

It's unknown why there were no album releases for The Marvelettes between 1963's "Live On Stage" and 1967's "The Marvelettes [[The Pink Album)". As we have seen from the material from the vaults, they had enough material for at least two albums from this period.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Yeah, Kenneth! Those two previously-unreleased Philles Rare Masters import albums on Phil Spector International were dynamite!
    They really were. I was only just discovering that there were hidden treasures in the vaults and even though I wasn't as familiar with the Philles groups as with the Motown groups, hearing all those unreleased tracks was like a revelation. I was so excited when Motown released its "From the Vaults" LP, which I think was their first LP along those lines, and kept hoping for more. We did get a couple, "Motown Superstars Sing Motown Superstars" and I think maybe one other, and then they just stopped, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I was so excited when Motown released its "From the Vaults" LP, which I think was their first LP along those lines, and kept hoping for more. We did get a couple, "Motown Superstars Sing Motown Superstars" and I think maybe one other, and then they just stopped, unfortunately.
    Kenneth, haven't you been keeping up with the "Cellarful Of Motown" 2-disc CD series plus all of the TONS of previously-unreleased Motown tracks that Harry, Keith, and George have been putting out over the years? If you haven't, you're in for one hell of a Motown thrill. Talk about feeling like a kid at Christmas! You'll think you're in Motown Heaven!

Cool ASHFORD & SIMPSON POST-MOTOWN PRODUCTION ON ULLANDA McCULLOUGH AVAILABLE 9/30/14

So THIS is where it ended up. I wondered where it went! ERROR! Sorry. See separate thread.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 09-29-2014 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TYK1986 View Post

1. because I love him
    3. dont mess with bill
    6. I keep on holding on
    7. little girls grow up
    10your my remedy.

I notice The Boy From Crosstown appeared on the cover artwork but it isn't listed in the track listing......does that mean that TYK1986 Quality Control team rejected it at the last minute! Shame!

haha I didnt even see that. Thanks for correcting me. My mind must have been with the other girl groups . But will add the song anyway as going to make it 12 instead of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantellor View Post
    Who is Bettie Winston?
    The notes to "The Marvelettes Forever More Volume 2" state Katherine Anderson Schaffner confirmed that "The Grass Seems Greener [[On the Other Side)" was not by the group. It was a demo for them to follow, and their vocals were never added.

Don't Forget the Motor City attributes the demo to Bettie Winston. Betty Winston, presumably the same person, was a member of the Adorables, who had three singles on Ed Wingate's Golden World label.
    Last edited by 144man; 09-30-2014 at 07:51 AM. Reason: "two singles" changed to "three..."

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Kenneth, haven't you been keeping up with the "Cellarful Of Motown" 2-disc CD series plus all of the TONS of previously-unreleased Motown tracks that Harry, Keith, and George have been putting out over the years? If you haven't, you're in for one hell of a Motown thrill. Talk about feeling like a kid at Christmas! You'll think you're in Motown Heaven!
    Yes, of course I've bought all the volumes. We've had lots of riches released in recent years. In my earlier post, I was referring back to the few LPs of Motown rarities that Motown itself released, followed by a long dry spell until the CD era and the companies like Hip-O, Ace/Kent got in the business of mining the vaults. Yes, I love the Cellarful series especially. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    The notes to "The Marvelettes Forever More Volume 2" state Katherine Anderson Schaffner confirmed that "The Grass Seems Greener [[On the Other Side)" was not by the group. It was a demo for them to follow, and their vocals were never added.

Don't Forget the Motor City attributes the demo to Bettie Winston. Betty Winston, presumably the same person, was a member of the Adorables, who had two singles on Ed Wingate's Golden World label.
    The lady aka known as Betty Boo confirmed to me it was her when I played her the song when she appeared at Nottingham.