[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Richard Morris

Richard Morris

I've checked the archives and it seems the last question about Richard's career was answered pre-motown [[a producer-writer at Lupine, although his exact path to Motown was unclear); but what happened to him, presumably after the West Coast move, seems unclear. Anybody know?
    I first heard of him when he was involved in Edwin Starr's Soul Master album, then seemed to work a lot with Martha.

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    I've checked the archives and it seems the last question about Richard's career was answered pre-motown [[a producer-writer at Lupine, although his exact path to Motown was unclear); but what happened to him, presumably after the West Coast move, seems unclear. Anybody know?
    I first heard of him when he was involved in Edwin Starr's Soul Master album, then seemed to work a lot with Martha.
    soulwally, I couldn't find much on Richard Morris, either, but I've always loved his compositions and productions on Martha Reeves & The Vandellas. The best I could come up with was this page from Discogs which, although interesting, still doesn't tell us much about him. I'm guessing that he didn't make the move to L.A. with Motown, as we never heard hide-nor-hair from him again after that.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/469456-Richard-Morris-2

Some other great songs that Richard composed that come to mind are "Don't Say You Love Me" by Smokey & the Miracles; "Just Another Lonely Night" by Fantastic Four; and "I'm So Glad It's Twilight Time" by the Velvelettes.

boyfromcrosstown: Can you ask Cal and the girls?
    Ralph: anything?

Does anyone know if Richard Morris is still with us or has he expired? I was surprised that the Motown Encyclopedia does not have a presentation on him.

I found this article about a copyright infringement suit he brought against Motown in the 90s. The links are to the main page, and the continuation of the article from Billboard.

https://books.google.com/books?id=5A...0motown&f=true

https://books.google.com/books?id=5A...0motown&f=true

RossHolloway Guest
    Does anyone have a picture of Richard Morris? I'm also interested to know what happened to him.

It would be Cal only....I asked a long time ago and there's not really much to say other than she worked with him. He was a nice person.

I had to remind her of the songs he did but she was real happy when I mentioned Twilite Time. That is a HUGE favourite of hers

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    It would be Cal only....I asked a long time ago and there's not really much to say other than she worked with him. He was a nice person.

I had to remind her of the songs he did but she was real happy when I mentioned Twilite Time. That is a HUGE favourite of hers
    Thanks to all for your interest in this thread. Kenneth, thanks for the links to the publication reporting on the royalties dispute

Thanks to all for your interest in this thread. Kenneth, thanks for the links to the publication reporting on the royalties dispute
    You're welcome. Leave it to Carole to always find some good information too. As Hillary says, we're "stronger together!"

I am in the process of reading Al Kent's book Custodian of the Humming Bird. It was unbelievable how much of a leading role that Richard played in the development and success of Golden World. He was heavily involved there far more than I ever realized.
    I know he went on to greater fame [label wise] with Motown after his stint with the Primettes.

Has anyone ever seen in music publications or other sources [other than the SDF] any writeups on Richard? I still wonder if he is alive today. I don't think we know the answer to this yet, do we?

Thanks for reviving this thread Woodward. Yes, we’re all still waiting on news of the mystery man