[REMOVE ADS]

smark21 Guest

Telegraph: Their list of 50 greatest dance songs of all time

List includes songs from the 60s to today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...nce-songs.html

Not a good list, but thanks for sharing it.

Awful list.

Quite a mixed list.

Some of them I wouldn't consider to be "Dance" music, about half of them are recordings that leave me totally cold and I think only a dozen or so would be candidates for my own personal "Top 50 Dance Tunes" list.

However, at least they had a Motown tune at #2 ...

Roger

So where does the list start? I assume they've printed the wrong list as I couldn't identify one song that would have me dashing to the dance floor, more likely the exit.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  21.1 KB
    I guess nobody "shags" in The UK!

Hi Robb...I take it you are referring to the dance? It's certainly not worth shagging to any thing on that list.

Quote Originally Posted by mr soul View Post
    Hi Robb...? It's certainly not worth shagging to any thing on that list.
Views: 383
    ABSOLUTELY! Otherwise, how could we explain Britain's population of over 60 million? I know they have a lot of in-migration, but that would be ridiculous.

Yes, they should take a lesson from The Beach crowd and The Belgians! Drommels!

Interesting that I only have five of the songs they listed on their list on record, and have only even heard about 2 or 3 more.

And, 1964 is the first year represented there. What??? Nobody knows how to dance to Swing, R&B and Rock & Roll Music anymore. We old folks have all died off, or are too crochetty to get out of our wheelchairs to dance?

No Chuck Berry? No "Rocket 88", No "Rocket 69", No Rock-A-Billy, "Take The 'A' Train", "I Do" by The Marvelows.

Only ONE Motown song!!!!

Ha! Ha! The list is from Britain, and they didn't even have ""Do I Love You [[Indeed I Do" by Frank Wilson, or "This Won't Change" by Lester Tipton [[they're doing him wrong). No "My World is On Fire"!

No Skate or Boogaloo records. No Junior Walker. The James Brown cut was WAYYY-YYY too late for me. "Do The Mouse" didn't make it????

No Skiffel Music. No Polkas??? No Oom-pa -pa bands???

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 383
    ABSOLUTELY! Otherwise, how could we explain Britain's population of over 60 million? I know they have a lot of in-migration, but that would be ridiculous.

Yes, they should take a lesson from The Beach crowd and The Belgians! Drommels!

Interesting that I only have five of the songs they listed on their list on record, and have only even heard about 2 or 3 more.

And, 1964 is the first year represented there. What??? Nobody knows how to dance to Swing, R&B and Rock & Roll Music anymore. We old folks have all died off, or are too crochetty to get out of our wheelchairs to dance?

No Chuck Berry? No "Rocket 88", No "Rocket 69", No Rock-A-Billy, "Take The 'A' Train", "I Do" by The Marvelows.

Only ONE Motown song!!!!

Ha! Ha! The list is from Britain, and they didn't even have ""Do I Love You [[Indeed I Do" by Frank Wilson, or "This Won't Change" by Lester Tipton [[they're doing him wrong). No "My World is On Fire"!

No Skate or Boogaloo records. No Junior Walker. The James Brown cut was WAYYY-YYY too late for me. "Do The Mouse" didn't make it????

No Skiffel Music. No Polkas??? No Oom-pa -pa bands???
    Robb, don't feel bad, they don't even include or acknowledge "The Twist" which was internationally popular! What a lousy list................
    Last edited by marv2; 09-23-2014 at 09:24 PM.

It's plain to see that the compiler has two left feet & two left ears!

This will go on my list of The 50 Worst Lists of All Time.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    This will go on my list of The 50 Worst Lists of All Time.
    hehehehehehehe.................

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 368
    I guess nobody "shags" in The UK!
    I nearly spilt my tea Rob!

I can't believe that list. I mean what is it supposed to be apart from a page filler? It doesn't work because it crosses the generations. Never thought I'd see War's "Me and baby brother " there.

This list sucks royally. No P-Funk? Please...

Views: 272
    Jackie Wilson's "Higher and Higher" is #50, and "Sweet Caroline" is #5!!!!

Say no more!

What kind of step would one do to "Sweet Caroline"? That all-over-the-place free form Northern Soul style dancing?

I was just about to question the high position of Sweet Caroline. So thanks for saving me the trouble. I agree it is a weird list but in my case that is mainly because I am so old school that I have never heard of half the songs. Pull up to the Bumper is a good dance selection though.

This is another reason I hate list in general.

Maybe these are great dance tunes...but not in my hood,no temps??? No gene chandler??? No archie bell and the drells??? No mary wells??? No isley bros??? Heck if i keep going i'll have a list of the dancetunes they missed.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I was just about to question the high position of Sweet Caroline. So thanks for saving me the trouble. I agree it is a weird list but in my case that is mainly because I am so old school that I have never heard of half the songs. Pull up to the Bumper is a good dance selection though.
Views: 214
    You're YOUNG! I've only heard of 5 songs out of the fifty!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Maybe these are great dance tunes...but not in my hood,no temps??? No gene chandler??? No archie bell and the drells??? No mary wells??? No isley bros??? Heck if i keep going i'll have a list of the dancetunes they missed.
Views: 208
    Verily I knoweth of what thou speakest!

I fear the UK might have two left feet judging on this list.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I fear the UK might have two left feet judging on this list.
Views: 201
    No wonder! Feet don't generally have good taste!