[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by miss_lish View Post
    If you really want to know why Florence was unsuccessful, you may want to read Maxine's book. The reasons, although not clearly illustrated, are there, but the reader must be prepared to dig deep. Florence's family, upbringing, and background didn't prepare her for success.
    No, I want to hear and SEE it from Florence's point of view. She lived it, Maxine did not! This film is based on Peter Benjaminson's recorded inteviews with Florence Ballard [[the subject of the film) in 1975 which culminated in the book "The Lost Supreme". Thank you.

Marv

miss_lish Guest
    What exactly did Diana Ross and Berry Gordy do to Flo? LMAO! Wouldn't let her sing leads; told her she was fat; crush an earring; put Diana Ross out front? What did they do to her? And further to the point, what did they do to Florence that they didn't do to Mary? I've read all the books, and I am still trying to discern what awful terrible thing they did to her.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    True, Marv... I was watching the John Lennon American Masters docu last night on PBS, and that certainly didn't end as a fairy tale, either. Rob, I suppose there are some people who get enjoyment from bringing others down, but most of it is speaking out against injustice. Being a lawyer, you should know this. Does it bother you if people think you became a lawyer just for the money, and had no desire to help people who have been injured by others, either physically or financially? Think about that for a hot minute. It's not as if Supremes fans WANT to lift one up and bring the other down, it's just their way way of dealing with injustice that was handed out because of greediness and selfishness of Barry and Diana. In cases where group members didn't get screwed over, you don't see all this argument and dissention, such as the fan bases of the Fifth Dimension and Tony Orlando And Dawn, and even the BEATLES, to some extent. Each one of them had solo success, so you didn't have one wearing Bob Mackie gowns and jet setting around the world while the other was on welfare eating hamburger helper. Diana and Berry USED Flo, and then threw her away like a bloody tampon. There were smatterings of help because of a guilty conscience, but if Flo had been getting her just royalties, she wouldn't have NEEDED that help in the first place. I know many want to pretend that Diana Ross is this shimmering light on a mountain, but you have to face it, she's not. Some people are selfish, and she is one of them. But that doesn't mean her motives were out of malice, nobody ever said that. But that doens't mean you shouldn't enjoy her music. If you enjoy it, don't let anyone tell you that you shouldn't.
    I'm just saying.......... but Jill you said it better than I could this morning. Thank you.

What exactly did Diana Ross and Berry Gordy do to Flo? LMAO! Wouldn't let her sing leads; told her she was fat; crush an earring; put diana ross out front? What did they do to her? And further to the point, what did they do to Florence that they didn't do to Mary? I've read all the books, and I am still trying to discern what awful terrible thing they did to her.
    That is interesting. I'm still trying to find out where and when did Mary Wilson say " I hate Diane!".......

What exactly did Diana Ross and Berry Gordy do to Flo? LMAO! Wouldn't let her sing leads; told her she was fat; crush an earring; put Diana Ross out front? What did they do to her? And further to the point, what did they do to Florence that they didn't do to Mary? I've read all the books, and I am still trying to discern what awful terrible thing they did to her.
    This is why I said earlier, if the film can answer some of the questions I mentioned above, then it will be a great film.

miss_lish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    No, I want to hear and SEE it from Florence's point of view. She lived it, Maxine did not! This film is based on Peter Benjaminson's recorded inteviews with Florence Ballard [[the subject of the film) in 1975 which culminated in the book "The Lost Supreme". Thank you.

Marv

You're welcome. But if as you've stated, you want to know why Florence was unsuccessful, it's all right there in Maxine's book, which probably wasn't Maxine's intent, but there it is, all the same.

You're welcome. But if as you've stated, you want to know why Florence was unsuccessful, it's all right there in Maxine's book, which probably wasn't Maxine's intent, but there it is, all the same.
    That is Maxine's take on things and they are not using Maxine's book. Maybe that could be used for a different movie.

miss_lish Guest
    Yes dear, but again, if you are interested in learning why Florence was not successful, it is all there in Maxine's book, and by this, I don't mean it was Maxine's opinion, but if a reader has the capability of reading between the lines, the reason Florence was unsuccessful had to do with coming up within an environment that didn't prepare her for success. And possibly, there were also some mental health issues and alcoholism. Have you read Peter's book? Is the information you seek found in Peter's book; or will only a cinematic rendering satisfy your lust to know why Florence was unsuccessful? If you haven't read it, I would encourage you to do so.

Aren't they saying that one of Florence's granddaughters is named Florance, the other one is named Faith? Perhaps some know-it-for-a-fact Detroiter can set the record straight. Does Florence Ballard have a granddaughter named Florance?
    There is a granddaughter named Florence. Not sure of the names of the other grandchildren.

Yes dear, but again, if you are interested in learning why Florence was not successful, it is all there in Maxine's book, and by this, I don't mean it was Maxine's opinion, but if a reader has the capability of reading between the lines, the reason Florence was unsuccessful had to do with coming up within an environment that didn't prepare her for success. And possibly, there were also some mental health issues and alcoholism. Have you read Peter's book? Is the information you seek found in Peter's book; or will only a cinematic rendering satisfy your lust to know why Florence was unsuccessful? If you haven't read it, I would encourage you to do so.
    I don't buy that because what you are or rather Maxine is saying is that if you grow up poor, in the ghetto, you are in an environment that does not prepare you for success, hence we still have poor people living in ghettos in this country perpetually. To me that makes no sense. To me that is racist!

jonc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    There is a granddaughter named Florence. Not sure of the names of the other grandchildren.
    From "Blondie: The Florence Ballard Story" Alexis and Darryl, Florence grand kids,Faith and Florance two daughters visiting her grave today!

Well according the movie's facebook page, Florence's grandchildren are called Alexis and Darryl

I'm assuming their mother is Florance Chatman.

jonc Guest
    This is why I said earlier, if the film can answer some of the questions I mentioned above, then it will be a great film.
    Based on today's facebook page I don't think you'll get the death, funeral and burial scenes you are hoping for Marv.

This movie may end up on the "Praise the Lord" or "Trinity" network.

Blondie: The Florence Ballard Story Happy Tuesday Facebook Fans: “Trust in the Lord with all your heart; and don't lean on your own understanding. In all things acknowledge him, and he shall direct your way. [Proverbs 3:5, 6]” Sending you all love on this great Tuesday

Nobody took Florence Ballard's royalties away ~ just like nobody took Mary Wells royalties away. Both of them signed them away quite freely ~ and even with legal advice. The real problem is that they needed the money and they didn't think anyone would care about My Guy and Where Did Our Love Go in a few years.

They reached the stage where the estate has to go begging to the Harry Weinger types who then have to go to the powers that be to plead for some money on some kind of moral basis, where there is no legal entitlement. And generally, those big companies will respond only to their shareholders and to legalities.

Ironically, now, the royalties are truly worth very little because sales have slipped so much and their royalty rates were so low.

Mary Wilson may have been jealous at times and may have acted it out from time to time but she wasn't stupid; she clearly understood she did not want to end up like Flo, didn't have a commercial voice and needed to do what she could to market "Supremes" and she did.

jonc Guest
    That is Maxine's take on things and they are not using Maxine's book. Maybe that could be used for a different movie.
    I hope the filmmaker uses her Kotex scene. That and the $5 ass wiping story is the best part of Maxine's book.
    Last edited by jonc; 11-23-2010 at 02:22 PM.

topdiva1 Guest
    Flo Ballard was raped, robbed, used and abused. Realize that Flo was not treated well.

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    Flo Ballard was raped, robbed, used and abused. Realize that Flo was not treated well.
    Yeah? Well some people have said that she "did it to herself"! You left out the times she was mugged. It would be very interesting to see how they will show Florence doing these things to herself. If fact, it would be rather amazing.

Will somebody tell the story of who's ass got wiped with a $5 bill and who did the wiping?

Maxine's was one Motown journal/book that I did not get.

Surprised to hear Stevie Wonder is a polygamist from Ribowsky.

jonc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Will somebody tell the story of who's ass got wiped with a $5 bill and who did the wiping?

Maxine "Precious" Ballard-Jenkins felt the need to "share" with her readers that her father once wiped his ass with a $5 bill and then proceeded to discuss her heavy monthly menstrual flow in great detail. And charged $65 a pop for including those charming little tidbits in her autobiography. LMFAO

I was sent the book by a friend and frankly it isn't worth 65 cents IMHO

One of Stevie's girlfriends lived right down the street from my Mom. When his lady friend got sick and died in 1991, Stevie sang at her funeral. He didn't try to hide his love for that woman, so Ribowsky's stories have no power. Besides what does that [[Stevie is a polygamist....) have to do with the Florence Ballard movie. Talk about getting off track, geez!
    Last edited by marv2; 11-23-2010 at 07:36 PM.

jonc Guest
    From facebook:

Blondie: The Florence Ballard Story. Want to be apart of this ground-breaking film? Want to learn from industry leaders? Want to work on a professional production [[SAG) and learn the inner workings of every aspect of filmmaking? Want to boast
    that resume and get IMDB credit? We are currently seeking professional, inspired, talented, and dedicated interns to work as PAs Send resumes to florenceballardproduction@gmail.com.Put INTERN in the Subject!

Blondie: The Florence Ballard Story. We shall be posting casting info in the coming months.

jonc Guest
    marybrewster, you are going to love this one.

From the Blondie facebook page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHZlG...eature=related

They couldn't get a professional copy of the interview from the news station? It's the first thing you ask for the moment you agree to do an interview. And this is supposed to be a legitimate movie production company. Little wonder many are skeptical.

Nobody took Florence Ballard's royalties away ~ just like nobody took Mary Wells royalties away. Both of them signed them away quite freely ~ and even with legal advice. The real problem is that they needed the money and they didn't think anyone would care about My Guy and Where Did Our Love Go in a few years.

They reached the stage where the estate has to go begging to the Harry Weinger types who then have to go to the powers that be to plead for some money on some kind of moral basis, where there is no legal entitlement. And generally, those big companies will respond only to their shareholders and to legalities.

Ironically, now, the royalties are truly worth very little because sales have slipped so much and their royalty rates were so low.

Mary Wilson may have been jealous at times and may have acted it out from time to time but she wasn't stupid; she clearly understood she did not want to end up like Flo, didn't have a commercial voice and needed to do what she could to market "Supremes" and she did.

No Rob... you are totally off base. Flo was signed to a contract, and Motown would not RELEASE her from that contract to go sing for ABC UNLESS she signed away her royalties. So it was sign them away so you can move on with your career... or make french fries at the burger chef until your contract is up, and HOPE that someone is still interested in you. To tell you the truth, If I were Flo... I would have went nuclear. I would have went to the press and laid the whole thing out. She should have made a huge fuss and sang like a bird. It would have destroyed the group, but so what. that's the way business is run, it's basically a legal form of blackmail, but being a lawyer, don't you see this all the time? Non compete clauses and such?

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    No Rob... you are totally off base. Flo was signed to a contract, and Motown would not RELEASE her from that contract to go sing for ABC UNLESS she signed away her royalties. So it was sign them away so you can move on with your career... or make french fries at the burger chef until your contract is up, and HOPE that someone is still interested in you. To tell you the truth, If I were Flo... I would have went nuclear. I would have went to the press and laid the whole thing out. She should have made a huge fuss and sang like a bird. It would have destroyed the group, but so what. that's the way business is run, it's basically a legal form of blackmail, but being a lawyer, don't you see this all the time? Non compete clauses and such?
    That is one of the things that has always bugged me and that is Flo went along with the Motown line about wanting to leave the group to settle down, blah,blah,blah. that we ALL know now wasn't true. In her first solo interview with Ebony, she did this also. I've always said had she spoke up and told what really happened to her , things would have been different. By the time she started to tell what really went on, it was too late! By the time she realized that she was going to be left to suffer and that it was intentional, she had already gone too far and Lord help her, the next thing we knew she was gone! The 1971 lawsuit was just an inkling of what would come out later.

It's been said that had Maye Atkins not tipped the press/media off about Florence's plight, her story may have gotten swept under rug for all we know. I have to give Peter Benjaminson credit because he was ON IT!

..In a way your right Jill but at the time people didnt "tell all" the concept of doing a princess Diana like manipulation of the press wouldnt of worked..for one thing Motown was too powerful -the press wouldnt have gone against Motown..The whole thing that changed the ball game for celebrities was Mommie Dearest..until Christina went public there wasnt a really big market for scandal sure there had been Confidential magazine and then the enquirer but "legitamate" press didnt go for much coverage of things like Flos story until after Mommie Dearest..Flo could have paved the way but we will never know...

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    ..In a way your right Jill but at the time people didnt "tell all" the concept of doing a princess Diana like manipulation of the press wouldnt of worked..for one thing Motown was too powerful -the press wouldnt have gone against Motown..The whole thing that changed the ball game for celebrities was Mommie Dearest..until Christina went public there wasnt a really big market for scandal sure there had been Confidential magazine and then the enquirer but "legitamate" press didnt go for much coverage of things like Flos story until after Mommie Dearest..Flo could have paved the way but we will never know...
    Your'e right about that, of course... TINA!!! GET ME THE AXE!

We pretty much know the true story of Flo Ballard. Maxines book was not bad but it didnt tell the story she led us to believe. The domestic violence and throwing phones at the wall and going down to the welfare office was interesting but other than that I didnt learn anything new. What I would like to know is what happened to that manuscript and more about Tommy, and the gigs she played. I wish there was some way George Kerr would be utilized in the story. There is some rumor flying around that Mary Wilson will be involved, and since Maxine has been seen in pics with Flos daughters and Faith Evans Im assuming she will give some input as to what it was like living with Flo at the time. Flos voice being on tape maybe they will utilize some of that. Remember these people are writing a script so what we see wont be actual events.

..also something to remember,and this is important..we know Diana through the writings of Taraborelli etc but in Flos life she never saw Diana get bad press,When Flo was alive hip folks may have gossiped about Dianas behaviour or being too pushy but most people didnt know the bitchy stuff dianas PR was that of a nice woman apart from very brief press about cancelling a gig over dogs Diana got good press which adds back to my earlier post about Flo not grasping the concept of a tell all approach - the most Flo got was saying a couple of hospital staff had found Diana rude once that was Flo spilling the beans she knew the "Truth".... but was unaware of the power of the sword she actually dangled over Berry...

jonc Guest
    ..also something to remember,and this is important..we know Diana through the writings of Taraborelli etc but in Flos life she never saw Diana get bad press,When Flo was alive hip folks may have gossiped about Dianas behaviour or being too pushy but most people didnt know the bitchy stuff dianas PR was that of a nice woman apart from very brief press about cancelling a gig over dogs Diana got good press which adds back to my earlier post about Flo not grasping the concept of a tell all approach - the most Flo got was saying a couple of hospital staff had found Diana rude once that was Flo spilling the beans she knew the "Truth".... but was unaware of the power of the sword she actually dangled over Berry...
    If Florence Ballard had a sword to dangle over Berry Gordy don't you think she would have used it?

Berry was running a business, a machine and when something isn't working or causes disruption, unfortunately you get rid of the person or the product that is causing the problem. Show business like any profitable business is hard. It can be sad, it can be unfair and in some cases unjust, but that's life. Show business isn't for the weak of heart.

Poor Florence had too many personal problems and nobody professional to talk about them with.

Everyone is so quick to dog Berry Gordy. If it wasn't for Berry Gordy we wouldn't have Motown Records and we wouldn't be talking in this forum. I have met him a couple of times at social engagements and found him delightful and very charming. Would I like to work for him? No........probably not but hey I am sure there are people out there that wouldn't want to work for me.

There are a few, and only a few on this forum that want this "Blondie" movie to finish Berry Gordy and to a lesser degree Diana Ross. You know what I say to them..........Dream on. Their legacies are intact and at this point nothing can harm them.
    Last edited by jonc; 11-24-2010 at 01:07 AM.

When i say she had a sword over Berry Im going on what she basically said to him,heard by several sources that she "had " something on him so he better watch out..now if she actually did is up for endless debate but one thing is for certain..the Benjaminson tapes have only been heard in edited form to protect the still living..so if we heard what was on the rest of those tapes it would clear up alot..Flo basically told Taraborelli she heard a buisness meeting that she shouldnt have heard in Puerto Rico...

jonc Guest
    When i say she had a sword over Berry Im going on what she basically said to him,heard by several sources that she "had " something on him so he better watch out..now if she actually did is up for endless debate but one thing is for certain..the Benjaminson tapes have only been heard in edited form to protect the still living..so if we heard what was on the rest of those tapes it would clear up alot..Flo basically told Taraborelli she heard a buisness meeting that she shouldnt have heard in Puerto Rico...
    That business meeting may have all been in her head.

I look forward to a show about Blondie; I hope it's better than Chatman and Florance and menstrual cycles and $5 bills.

Dreamgirls, if anything, upped the visibility of Diana and Berry. Too bad it was such a boring movie and too bad Mary didn't get a few bucks out of it.

This movie won't have anywhere near the visibility but it might be better. It won't do anything to either Berry or Diana or Mary; that's just another of those "dreams" some people have.

Quote Originally Posted by jonc View Post
    marybrewster, you are going to love this one.

From the Blondie facebook page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHZlG...eature=related

They couldn't get a professional copy of the interview from the news station? It's the first thing you ask for the moment you agree to do an interview. And this is supposed to be a legitimate movie production company. Little wonder many are skeptical.
    Lord Jesus, that gave me nothing but a headache. Or a heartache.

wow first Maxine says she knows nothing about this and then there she is at Hitsville !!! I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    wow first Maxine says she knows nothing about this and then there she is at Hitsville !!! I'm done.
    She must have heard some dollar signs.

jonc Guest
    Maybe God showed Maxine Precious "Kotex" Ballard-Jenkins a way to embrace the film marybrewster. God seems to be very heavily involved in this "epic" movie.

From facebook. Blondie: The Florence Ballard Story. We are thankful to be able to be apart of this great Epic film and to let Florence Voice be told!! GOD is moving in all of us so we are again thankful for his grace&love!!
    Last edited by jonc; 11-26-2010 at 11:58 AM.

Maybe God showed Maxine Precious "Kotex" Ballard-Jenkins a way to embrace the film marybrewster. God seems to be very heavily involved in this "epic" movie.

From facebook. Blondie: The Florence Ballard Story. We are thankful to be able to be apart of this great Epic film and to let Florence Voice be told!! GOD is moving in all of us so we are again thankful for his grace&love!!
    God IS very involved in this movie!

"GOD is moving this production nonstop so with him this film is being made the right way!"

This is way too religious for me.

jonc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post

"GOD is moving this production nonstop so with him this film is being made the right way!"

It may be the next Passion of the Christ marybrewster. I wonder how Buttered Popcorn will sound in Aramaic?

Buttered Popcorn, as Rolling Stone and all of us know, was an allusion to something sticky and gooey and salty and chewy.........oh My Word!

I was wondering....................is someone saying here that the Jehovah's Witnesses are behind this? Is that what this is all about?

jonc Guest
    It looks like mustard seed is now in the mix. This is the latest from the Blondie facebook page:

Blondie: The Florence Ballard Story With God all things are possible.-Matthew 19:26 GOD is moving this production nonstop so with him this film is being made the right way! If you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to your mountain, "MOVE!" and it WILL move and NOTHING will be impossible for YOU! - Matthew 17:20 Happy weekend everybody!

I hope Flo's kids [[The Chatman girls) make some money and don't end up getting screwed.

I'll say an Amen to that!

smark21 Guest
    Buttered Popcorn, as Rolling Stone and all of us know, was an allusion to something sticky and gooey and salty and chewy.........oh My Word!

I was wondering....................is someone saying here that the Jehovah's Witnesses are behind this? Is that what this is all about?
    The production company behind this movie is called Spirit of Life of productions and their previous productions have been for the religious market. Who knows what denomination they are, but it sounds like they're trying to tap into the same market that has made Tyler Perry very rich.

smark21 Guest
    There's now a page for "Blondie: The Florence Ballard Story" on internet movie database.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1773312/

jonc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    There's now a page for "Blondie: The Florence Ballard Story" on internet movie database.

Well with a imbd page and Jesus backing this movie it has to be a big hit.

This is the latest from facebook.

Blondie: The Florence Ballard Story Wish everybody a blessed sunday and walk in the light at all times. Today take time to call on the lord and speak to him about your life. Things happen sometime for a reason and other times it happens because you push it to figure out what the best way to live your own life and walk in the light!!

These people must be awfully religious! More power to them though.

jonc Guest
    From today's facebook page.

Blondie: The Florence Ballard Story Happy Monday FB fans FYI for this week [[The more we express our
    gratitude to God for our blessings, the more he will bring to our mind other blessings. The more
    we are aware of to be grateful for, the happier we become." Luv you all!!

From today's facebook page.

Blondie: The Florence Ballard Story Happy Monday FB fans FYI for this week [[The more we express our
    gratitude to God for our blessings, the more he will bring to our mind other blessings. The more
    we are aware of to be grateful for, the happier we become." Luv you all!!
    Can I get an Amen?

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post

Good catch!

Can they make a movie with only two "stars" though? I only see Flo and Maxine have been cast. How can you make a Flo Ballard movie with no Diana or Mary? Maybe they'll pull out the BIG GUNS for those two. I can see it now: Jasmine Guy [[A Different World) as Diana Ross and Kellie Shanygne Williams [[Family Matters) as Mary Wilson. Top notch!

Praise Jesus!

Budget:$6,500,000 [[estimated)

jonc Guest
    Good catch!

Can they make a movie with only two "stars" though? I only see Flo and Maxine have been cast. How can you make a Flo Ballard movie with no Diana or Mary? Maybe they'll pull out the BIG GUNS for those two. I can see it now: Jasmine Guy [[A Different World) as Diana Ross and Kellie Shanygne Williams [[Family Matters) as Mary Wilson. Top notch!

Praise Jesus!
    LMAO. A $1.35 along with a imbd page will get you ride up and down Hollywood Blvd. I see the Chapman sisters are listed as producers. I think Peter Benjaminson and the "Chatman" girls will make about $1.35 collectively from this Blondie "Praise Jesus" movie.

I know where you guys are coming from but I think they can make a movie with the characters being Florence and Maxine and maybe the girls.

There was and is a story there. It's just that some crazy fans live in 1969 and still want hair pulling, earring squashing, tears, heartache and hope that some 67 year old woman will either have her 20th #1 song or alternatively, sells more than 200 copies of a song!