[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    There have been plenty of big budget movies that are awful--great production values does not equal a quality final product. Likewise, there are plenty of quality low budget movies.

The big key is whether the producers will get the right to have the music of the Supremes included in the movie.

Judging by the artists who are going to be on the soundtrack--Fantasia, Kelly Price, Lauryn Hill--I suspect the movie is going to be focussed on Florence Ballard battling adversity in her post Supremes years. I bet the movie will end with a "happy ending" of Flo performing "I Am Woman" in 1975 at that benefit in Detroit. Then as she takes her bows and before the end credits roll we'll read a caption that she died the following year.

What you described, I've seen done before [[Lady Sings the Blues, Brian's Song, etc,etc.) Not the same impact. They will follow the lead set by the Temptations movie where they depicted Paul Williams and Melvin Franklin's funerals. They also depicted David Ruffins death somewhat in that film. It had more of an impact on the viewer.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    No, they are going to show the death scene, the funeral and the burial.
    But not the autopsy and the embalming? That would be a shame for audiences not to see that.

jonc Guest
    No, they are going to show the death scene, the funeral and the burial.
    I might have known a big Hollywood mucky muck like you would have seen or even approved the script. While we are on the subject of movies and television, any news of an air date for the hush hush ""Motown 50th Anniversary Network TV Special" you announced that you were working on last year? If you are still in editing we'd still love to see a rough cut or some clips.

Thanks in advance Marv and have a great Saturday.

jonc Guest
    But not the autopsy and the embalming? That would be a shame for audiences not to see that.
    ROTFLMFAO. That's all in "Blondie Part Deux" the follow up movie smark21.

Are there any pictures or any tapes existing of Flos last performance at the benefit for Joanne Little?

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Are there any pictures or any tapes existing of Flos last performance at the benefit for Joanne Little?
    i'd like to know that, too. i've never seen so much as a picture.... not even heard any first hand accounts.

I'm with smark21, I think the Florence film will depict her later years and I do believe there's enough of that to make a complete film. Different from one of the Marvin biopics that was to focus on his final years because he only did one album for Columbia/CBS.

No. Not even pictures. I didn't even see JET cover it.

I find this to be strange because the Joanne Little story was big in Detroit and to have Flo singing on stage when the world knew her plight I would have thought this event would have been covered.

I know, Steph... i'd have at least thought there would be a newspaper clipping, a fan in the audience with an instamatic, something.

Other than what was shown on the local news by WXYZ Channel 7 in Detroit at the time, I would no. I doubt that they still even have the footage.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    No. Not even pictures. I didn't even see JET cover it.
    It was a local story basically. The Free Press covered it ,so did Channel 7 WXYZ.

I find this to be strange because the Joanne Little story was big in Detroit and to have Flo singing on stage when the world knew her plight I would have thought this event would have been covered.
    The Joanne Little story and the disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa was all you heard on the news locally in Detroit in 1975. The only story I can remember that rivaled those were that of Malice Green police brutality story in the early 90's.

"Blondie: The Florence Ballard Story" has their own Facebook page.

There are some new pics uploaded of Faith Evans in Detroit from this weekend, including:

"R&B Singer Faith Evans, center right, visits the Motown Museum with [[from the left) Michelle Ballard-Chatman, Maxine Ballard, and Nicole Ballard-Chatman in Detroit on Friday, Nov. 19, 2010."

Ahem.
    Last edited by marybrewster; 11-20-2010 at 09:20 PM.

olamaebarto Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    "Blondie: The Florence Ballard Story" has their own Facebook page.

There are some new pics uploaded of Faith Evans in Detroit from this weekend, including:

"R&B Singer Faith Evans, center right, visits the Motown Museum with [[from the left) Michelle Ballard-Chatman, Maxine Ballard, and Nicole Ballard-Chatman in Detroit on Friday, Nov. 19, 2010."

Ahem.
    Well I can tell you this, my temple is so excited. At one point I thought about converting back to being a Catholic, but I think I can get the jews behind this film.

Great pictures on that facebook page... Faith posing with Maxine and Flo's girls. This thing is gaining momentum, it should be an exciting ride!

jonc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Great pictures on that facebook page... Faith posing with Maxine and Flo's girls. This thing is gaining momentum, it should be an exciting ride!
    I'd hardly call 498 facebook followers "gaining momentum" Jill. When the camera starts rolling I'll get excited but until then anything can happen.

...and remember, it's still very early!

...and remember, it's ChaPman, not ChaTman!

jonc Guest
    ...and remember, it's ChaPman, not ChaTman!
    Well this "Blondie" movie supposedly has Flo's daughters, the "Chatman" sisters as co-producers. LMFAO

Honey, if they can't even get the last names of Flo's daughters correct, I can only imagine what's in store.....

jonc Guest
    Honey, if they can't even get the last names of Flo's daughters correct, I can only imagine what's in store.....
    Exactly marybrewster. I sincerely hope the Ballard-Chapman girls aren't being taken for a ride.

Mary, even if you don't say so publicly, tell me somewhere or other why you think this is such a poor idea.

It looks like it will be pretty shoestring but it could be a decent story even without music and without trashing Berry, Mary or Diana, don't you think?

The trash talk has kind of lost much of it's value these days with the Internet. The splash was made with Dreamgirls which really turned out to be not much of anything and even the Supremes that could use a few bucks got nothing.

I learned this week that Nicci Gibert [[of the group Brownstone),has been chosen for the role of Maxine Ballard.
    Bravo's reality show 'Real Housewives of ATL' has been a drama-filled hit for the network.

If the on-screen catfighting between far-from-desperate 'Housewives' like NeNe Leakes, Kim Zolciak, Sheree Whitfield, Lisa Wu Hartwell and DeShawn Snow wasn't enough, the post-show fall-out and bickering seems to be never-ending.

Last week a report surfaced accusing R&B singer Nicci Gilbert, formerly of the R&B trio Brownstone, of being "the home-wrecker" who destroyed Sheree and retired NFL star Bob Whitfield's marriage.

http://www.bvbuzz.com/2008/11/26/buz...s-she-broke-u/

topdiva1 Guest
    This remark hits a new low in disrespect. You should be ashamed of yourself, but liely you are not and do not see your bad taste.

topdiva1 Guest
    Topdiva... it's a new age in independent filmmaking. With the advent of low cost digital technology, and editing through as AVID machine, a film can be made for much less than in the past. Keep in mind, a 60 minute episode of a soap opera costs about 250,000$, and depending on which show your'e talking about, it looks VERY good and high budget. My favorite gay themed movie of all time was shot for 850,000$... and it looked VERY good [[and they got Jaqueline Bissett and Mary Kay Place for that!). This Flo movie has a budget three and a half times that.
    Latter Days - is one of my favorite movies as well.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown_M_1056 View Post
    Put me down as skeptical too, but for a whole lot of other reasons.
    A film can be made for a measly $3 million. But it's going to look cheap, vastly different from a Hollywood film made for $30 or $50 million. And $3 million is what the publicist obviously told Mr. McCollum. He didn't pull that figure out of the air. And I didn't see anything in the Free Press story about producers optioning or purchasing parts of other books to flesh out Peter Benjaminson's story.
    How often is this is normally done and these "other Flo-book writers" are not requiring any credit?

Remember it was The Godfather based on Mario Puzo's novel, not The Godfather based on the book by Mario Puzo and a bunch of other guys who have written novels about the Mafia.
    Taking into account your been there, done that, know it all posts, still - ALL HAS NOT YET BEEN REVEALED - and common sense could have told us all that.

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    Taking into account your been there, done that, know it all posts, still - ALL HAS NOT YET BEEN REVEALED - and common sense could have told us all that.
    Amazing what has happened to common sense these days huh? Just a few weeks ago he and several others here said that there will be no film made about Florence Ballard. You just watch!!!!

Cool

It's so quiet, you can almost hear the crickets chirping.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 11-21-2010 at 06:35 PM.

Apparently, from what i've read... it seems that a budget of 3 million dollars is the standard, and very common for made for TV movies. So it might not be a big screen feature, but neither was the Temps mini series. As a matter of fact, being 4 hours, it wouldn't surprsie me if the Temps mini series had a budget in the 6 million range.

This remark hits a new low in disrespect. You should be ashamed of yourself, but liely you are not and do not see your bad taste.
    It is the perfect example of the quality of people you are communicating with. Smark21 thinks what he said was cute, witty.

I suppose you think what you just said is clever, witty? How old are you ?

he's 37, tall, dark and handsome, chased by many Supreme Fans

jonc Guest
    Apparently, from what i've read... it seems that a budget of 3 million dollars is the standard, and very common for made for TV movies. So it might not be a big screen feature, but neither was the Temps mini series. As a matter of fact, being 4 hours, it wouldn't surprsie me if the Temps mini series had a budget in the 6 million range.
    Well if you can get past all the requests for praising and meditation, the atrociously bad spelling, the macabre pictorial visits to Flo's grave and them referring to Flo's daughters as Nicole and Michelle "Chatman" on the Blondie-The Florence Ballard Story" facebook page you'll clearly read they are going for a cinema release. LMFAO see below:

Blondie: The Florence Ballard Story We @ Spirit of Life Films & Autumn Bailey Entertainment are truly honored and blessed to have the opportunity to bring this iconic woman's story to life! Stay tuned for the latest and SEE YOU AT THE CINEMA!!!!!

"Thank you everybody for joining the Fan page and spreading the word. This is going to be a epic film and we are grateful to everybody for their love and support. Keep the comments coming. This film is being made with love and passion! Flo on!

Perhaps I'll be less skeptical when a camera actually rolls and a movie studio or TV network gets behind it.

jonc Guest
    I suppose you think what you just said is clever, witty? How old are you ?
    I wouldn't go there if I were you dearie. Some of your disgusting comments on Yahoo and youtube make smark21's look like a fairy tale for toddlers.

Now that's just wrong, how they're gonna misspell Florence's daughters' last name like that? LOL

Is the film even in pre-production yet though?

Here are a few status updates from the "Blondie" Faceboook page:

This Film is being done with love& passion and with the
    Strength greater then the Cast&Crew who is working on it! It's above
    and beyond that.

“God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.”

Look to the lord when you need answers!

Is this a religious movie? I am not trying to knock anyone's faith [[I have my own), but I think maybe someone needs to seperate the Lord and the Florence Ballard story.

rob: Sorry for my delay in response. You asked a question and I shall answer:

It's not that I think this is a poor idea; I think it's a 'supreme' idea. But for me, there are so many signs [[many listed above) that point to disaster, that I am not about to get my hopes up. I am thrilled that Florence's story is going to be told, but I'm not of the opinion that this is the big cinematic release that will bury Diana Ross and Berry Gordy that so many others are hoping for.

I see that in addition to not seeming to know the names of the girls, they also do not know the difference between "then" and "than". The name thing is a bad sign.

Thanks Mary; common sense from you as usual; and I think you are right. Hope the other Mary is good.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    he's 37, tall, dark and handsome, chased by many Supreme Fans

I am surprised that the Supreme fans still have the ability to run - LOL

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Now that's just wrong, how they're gonna misspell Florence's daughters' last name like that? LOL

Is the film even in pre-production yet though?
    They can't even spell FLORENCE'S name right, LOL.

Alexis and Darryl, Florence grand kids,Faith and Florance two daughters visiting her grave today!

What is with all the mispellings? They want to make some kind of movie about Florence Ballard and they can't even spell her name right and they mispell it several times; and then they mispell her children's last names. Strange.

Some Supremes fans are in shape; Rod is a bike class instructor; I am a Y instructor part time and teach lots of fitness classes. Wanna see a pic of my biceps? Or would you prefer something else? LOL.

I am surprised that the Supreme fans still have the ability to run - LOL
    HA! You are sho nuff a mess!!!!! LOL hhehehehehehehe umm ummm....

smark21 Guest
    I just wish some Flo fans weren't so fixated on the sad parts of her life as well as her death and her funeral. It seems they get off on viewing her a pathetic victim. I dont' have terribly high hopes for this movie, but judging by the religious content of many of the comments the team is leaving on the production's facebook page, it seems they want to make the story of Florence Ballard an inspirational story, something that will appeal to the Tyler Perry audience.

Smark, some people live unhappy; they want to hurt others and that uplifts them. They don't recognize their unhappiness and the wallowing. Perhaps there is an identification with people that were unsuccessful and couldn't cope. Perhaps they elevate themselves catcalling at the successful. It takes all kinds........

Some people like to hide the truth, but truth is the light. Now if the film sticks stritctly with the FACTS , then what is the problem? Oh the problem is that life and people are not always fair and good. Most ADULTS know that and accept that everything isn't a fairy tale............!

Yesterday marked the 47th Anniversary of the end of JFK's "Camelot". It ended in the murder of JFK! Not pretty, but it is a FACT. Non-fiction, for mature audiences only..........

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Smark, some people live unhappy; they want to hurt others and that uplifts them. They don't recognize their unhappiness and the wallowing. Perhaps there is an identification with people that were unsuccessful and couldn't cope. Perhaps they elevate themselves catcalling at the successful. It takes all kinds........
    I am SO happy that this movie is finally being made! I wonder who hurt Flo? Who would want to do that, when by all accounts she was a wonderful,generous, upbeat and somewhat sassy girl?

I wonder who lifted her up when she was down! Who or what took away her happiness? Why was she "unsuccessful" after starting the greatest girl group in history and helping them to make history? She had the goods, so what happened to cause her life to end so unsuccessfully, making it difficult for her to cope? If the film is able to answer these questions, then it will be a great film in my opinion.

miss_lish Guest
    Aren't they saying that one of Florence's granddaughters is named Florance, the other one is named Faith? Perhaps some know-it-for-a-fact Detroiter can set the record straight. Does Florence Ballard have a granddaughter named Florance?

miss_lish Guest
    I am SO happy that this movie is finally being made! I wonder who hurt Flo? Who would want to do that, when by all accounts she was a wonderful,generous, upbeat and somewhat sassy girl?

I wonder who lifted her up when she was down! Who or what took away her happiness? Why was she "unsuccessful" after starting the greatest girl group in history and helping them to make history? She had the goods, so what happened to cause her life to end so unsuccessfully, making it difficult for her to cope? If the film is able to answer these questions, then it will be a great film in my opinion.

If you really want to know why Florence was unsuccessful, you may want to read Maxine's book. The reasons, although not clearly illustrated, are there, but the reader must be prepared to dig deep. Florence's family, upbringing, and background didn't prepare her for success.

Some people like to hide the truth, but truth is the light. Now if the film sticks stritctly with the FACTS , then what is the problem? Oh the problem is that life and people are not always fair and good. Most ADULTS know that and accept that everything isn't a fairy tale............!

Yesterday marked the 47th Anniversary of the end of JFK's "Camelot". It ended in the murder of JFK! Not pretty, but it is a FACT. Non-fiction, for mature audiences only..........
    True, Marv... I was watching the John Lennon American Masters docu last night on PBS, and that certainly didn't end as a fairy tale, either. Rob, I suppose there are some people who get enjoyment from bringing others down, but most of it is speaking out against injustice. Being a lawyer, you should know this. Does it bother you if people think you became a lawyer just for the money, and had no desire to help people who have been injured by others, either physically or financially? Think about that for a hot minute. It's not as if Supremes fans WANT to lift one up and bring the other down, it's just their way way of dealing with injustice that was handed out because of greediness and selfishness of Barry and Diana. In cases where group members didn't get screwed over, you don't see all this argument and dissention, such as the fan bases of the Fifth Dimension and Tony Orlando And Dawn, and even the BEATLES, to some extent. Each one of them had solo success, so you didn't have one wearing Bob Mackie gowns and jet setting around the world while the other was on welfare eating hamburger helper. Diana and Berry USED Flo, and then threw her away like a bloody tampon. There were smatterings of help because of a guilty conscience, but if Flo had been getting her just royalties, she wouldn't have NEEDED that help in the first place. I know many want to pretend that Diana Ross is this shimmering light on a mountain, but you have to face it, she's not. Some people are selfish, and she is one of them. But that doesn't mean her motives were out of malice, nobody ever said that. But that doens't mean you shouldn't enjoy her music. If you enjoy it, don't let anyone tell you that you shouldn't.