[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Faith Evans to discuss Florence Ballard movie

Faith Evans is scheduled to appear on The MoNique Show on BET, Thursday night, November 11. She's expected to talk about the upcoming Flo Ballard movie.

That is great. Thank you for the heads up!

Someone please update us with the details of Faith discussing this Flo movie.

She shouldve played ETTA JAMES!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ladyvanaye View Post
    She shouldve played ETTA JAMES!!!!!!
    LadyV, she could have done that one too!

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Someone please update us with the details of Faith discussing this Flo movie.
    I thought we had enough of these threads. What happened to the one on Details on Florence Ballard movie?

In speaking of this movie,are the brewster projects still standing?because they would have to serve as a backdrop for any movie about the supremes!

jonc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    In speaking of this movie,are the brewster projects still standing?because they would have to serve as a backdrop for any movie about the supremes!
    I was in Detroit 2 weeks ago and saw the Brewster Projects from the freeway. The towers are still standing but all the windows have been removed. They look completely ready for demolition if the city can indeed afford a demo in this current economy.
    Last edited by jonc; 11-11-2010 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    I thought we had enough of these threads. What happened to the one on Details on Florence Ballard movie?
    I wondered the same thing. I went to put this info in that thread and saw it was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by jonc View Post
    i was in detroit 2 weeks ago and saw the brewster projects from the freeway. The towers are still standing but all the windows have been removed. They look completely ready for demolition if the city can indeed afford a demo in this current economy.
    thanks jonc.

I think it is possible that my frank and maybe blunt comments telling people to stop being so negative and to stop sowing discord and dissension amongst fans and to stop blaming Berry Gordy and Diana Ross for every problem that ever surfaced at Motown, caused the thread and another one or two to be deleted.

Ralph knows how to reach me; I haven't heard from him I will consult him and ask him if I was too blunt. I am sure he will tell me.

I do think the comments were warranted and I know the feelings are strongly shared.

jonc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I think it is possible that my frank and maybe blunt comments telling people to stop being so negative and to stop sowing discord and dissension amongst fans and to stop blaming Berry Gordy and Diana Ross for every problem that ever surfaced at Motown, caused the thread and another one or two to be deleted.

Ralph knows how to reach me; I haven't heard from him I will consult him and ask him if I was too blunt. I am sure he will tell me.

I do think the comments were warranted and I know the feelings are strongly shared.
    Your comment about bitter fans blaming Diana and Berry for every damned thing that ever happened at Motown was spot on. You told the absolute truth jobeterob.
    Last edited by jonc; 11-11-2010 at 06:17 PM.

I don't have any problem with your comments, Rob. I wish more people would understand what you are saying and leave all the pettiness be.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    The movie is scheduled to be shot on location in Atlanta - with some exteriors done in Detroit. But the Brewster projects as they now stand will not be used. As most of Detriot is blighted a story based in the 60's and 70's cannot be done on location in Detroit as that backdrop does no exist.

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    The movie is scheduled to be shot on location in Atlanta - with some exteriors done in Detroit. But the Brewster projects as they now stand will not be used. As most of Detriot is blighted a story based in the 60's and 70's cannot be done on location in Detroit as that backdrop does no exist.
    Flo's home she bought while a Supreme is still there and in pretty good shape, the whole street is.

Could someone please transcribe and post all of the things Faith said about Flo's movie? I believe this program aired yesterday, so I naturally assumed every juicy detail would have been posted by now.

Could someone please transcribe and post all of the things Faith said about Flo's movie? I believe this program aired yesterday, so I naturally assumed every juicy detail would have been posted by now.
    Wasn't this a repeat? It was so unimportant to me, I didn't watch.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 11-12-2010 at 11:28 AM.

I didn't transcribe it, but the exchange was really brief. It wasn't the purpose of the interview. Faith talked about everything from how she was discovered, her children, having her own label, etc.

Re Flo: Faith said that the producer of the film had been trying to get in touch with her for months. When she finally did, she let her know that the role of Flo was hers if she wanted it. Mo'Nique congratulated her and showed photos of Flo and Faith side by side to illustrate their resemblance. That's basicially it.

Thanks reese.

"I didn't transcribe it, but the exchange was really brief. It wasn't the purpose of the interview."

From the thread name you'd think that's ALL she was there to talk about. Thanks for clearing that up.

From the thread name you'd think that's ALL she was there to talk about. Thanks for clearing that up.
    And in the initial post I said she was EXPECTED to talk about the movie, which is what the article I read stated.

Quote Originally Posted by simplysupreme View Post
    And in the initial post I said she was EXPECTED to talk about the movie, which is what the article I read stated.
    I said THREAD NAME, not contents.

http://www.torontosun.com/entertainm...0571-wenn.html

Evans, who starred in Beyonce Knowles’ 2003 comedy drama The Fighting Temptations, is working on getting her life back on track after she was arrested in August and charged with two counts of driving under the influence.

She faces six months in jail if convicted.

I wonder if Faith can film her scenes from a jail cell?

http://www.torontosun.com/entertainm...0571-wenn.html

Evans, who starred in Beyonce Knowles’ 2003 comedy drama The Fighting Temptations, is working on getting her life back on track after she was arrested in August and charged with two counts of driving under the influence.

She faces six months in jail if convicted.

I wonder if Faith can film her scenes from a jail cell?
    BAD MaryBrewster, just bad! Spank yourself! You don't really believe the Toronto Sun, do you? I thought Faith Evans had already gone to court about those charges. If it was her first offense, the court will be lenient.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 11-14-2010 at 12:58 PM.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Flo's home she bought while a Supreme is still there and in pretty good shape, the whole street is.
    Flo's former home is located on Buena Vista in the Russell Woods section. They will do possibly a few exterior shots - as Flo's old home looks well as does this entire area - I understand any interior shots of the house will be done on a replica set in Atlanta.

I often wondered about the TV Movie they made about Karen Carpenter ~ The Karen Carpenter Story.

I understand that all copies were ordered destroyed by a Judge; Richard Carpenter or Richard Carpenter and his parents commenced legal action against whomever made the movie and got damages and an injunction ordering all copies of the movie destroyed. Apparently, the odd bootleg portion is available on Youtube.

I wondered why we never saw this movie repeated on TV anymore.

I gather the movie did quite a job on Richard and the parents; not sure if it was a fictional movie or if there was some truth to it. What I recall is that Mrs. Carpenter came across like Mary Tyler Moore in Ordinary People - brittle, brittle, brittle!

Jobeterob - I highly recommend "The Carpenters - The Untold Story" by Ray Coleman it ranks as one of the best music biographies ever written,up there with Divided Soul..
    Richard was the golden child of the family who could do no wrong and got a hell of alot more love from his parents than Karen did - this is where her eating disorder stems from,anyway its a great book wait til you read what Richard said to karen in front of Olivia newton John when they were playing some of Karens solo tracks...

Thanks so much Nomis. I read a lot and I will track this book down.

topdiva1 Guest
    Faith would have likely spoken more about the movie if we did not have to listen to the loud mouth of the hostess - how common she is.

The Carpenters book is awesome. Poor Karen ..Richard tried to rule her at all costs and she was much more comfortable behind the drums.

..yes Steph Richard came off very badly in the VH1 documentary...

Ironic..........Karen's story and Florence's story are parallels in a way; for some reason, Karen's seems less self inflicted to me and she seemed more defenceless.

..get that book Jobeterob... theres an interesting changing of power dynamics in the family when Richards addiction takes over and karens steely reserve to record without him comes to head...

Every time I view a documentary on the Carpenters I can't help but think that Karen was pushed into a corner by all the people she loved: her brother [[who by accounts could be demanding and controlling), her mother [[yes she was often picking Richard as the breadwinner of the family while she never looked at Karen similarly) and people in her label. Plus, much like many of the Motown acts [[Supremes included), she was very young when the Carpenters became superstars. I don't even think she was 20 yet when "Close to You" gave the group their first huge success. And then to gain not only domestic fame but international acclaim and touring almost all 365 days of the year [[their schedule and Motown's scheduling of their acts are almost similar to one another) added to her problems with her weight. I'm thinking not only did she take negative comments seriously, it made Karen develop a troubling soul that wasn't reconciled at all when she died in 1983.

Going back on topic, as far as the Faith interview is concerned, the Florence movie was hardly the point of its discussion since Faith has an album out and is dealing with a legal battle.

Thanks for keeping it real.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010111...Ballard-biopic

Faith Evans is on her way to Detroit to immerse in the world of Motown.

The 37-year-old R&B star has been tapped to play singer Florence Ballard in "Blondie," a film chronicling the dramatic rise and fall of the late Supreme.

Evans will join the film's production staff today for a weekend tour of Detroit, meeting with Ballard's three adult daughters and visiting Motown sites.

The movie, a $3-million project by Atlanta's Spirit of Life Films, will begin shooting in January. Though some exterior scenes will be filmed in Detroit, principal shooting will take place in Atlanta. Producers say an accompanying soundtrack will include performances by Evans, Lauryn Hill, Fantasia and others.

Motown songs might be featured in the film, though clearances have not yet been finalized, said publicist Treavion Davenport.

The film's story pivots on the real-life experiences of Peter Benjaminson, a onetime Free Press reporter who conducted lengthy interviews with Ballard in the months before her 1976 death.

Those hours of tape became the basis for Benjaminson's 2008 book, "The Lost Supreme: The Life of Dreamgirl Florence Ballard."

Ballard, nicknamed Blondie for her light hair, fell into poverty after her 1967 ouster from the Supremes and was nearly destitute when she died in Detroit of a coronary blood clot.

She is widely considered the inspiration for Jennifer Hudson's character in the movie musical "Dreamgirls," but "Blondie" producers say their film marks the first authentic historical treatment.

"We want people to understand she does have a legacy," said Davenport. "The story has been told a lot of different ways, but this one is from her perspective."

This will be the sixth acting role for Evans, a pioneering hip-hop singer and widow of the rapper Notorious B.I.G.

"Faith was the ideal choice, and not just for her striking physical resemblance and vocals," said Davenport. "It's also Ms. Ballard's tribulations -- there are several parallels, and it's a story she really connects with."

Contact BRIAN McCOLLUM: 313-223-4450 or mccollum@freepress.com

http://www.freep.com/article/2010111...Ballard-biopic

Faith Evans is on her way to Detroit to immerse in the world of Motown.

The 37-year-old R&B star has been tapped to play singer Florence Ballard in "Blondie," a film chronicling the dramatic rise and fall of the late Supreme.

Evans will join the film's production staff today for a weekend tour of Detroit, meeting with Ballard's three adult daughters and visiting Motown sites.

The movie, a $3-million project by Atlanta's Spirit of Life Films, will begin shooting in January. Though some exterior scenes will be filmed in Detroit, principal shooting will take place in Atlanta. Producers say an accompanying soundtrack will include performances by Evans, Lauryn Hill, Fantasia and others.

Motown songs might be featured in the film, though clearances have not yet been finalized, said publicist Treavion Davenport.

The film's story pivots on the real-life experiences of Peter Benjaminson, a onetime Free Press reporter who conducted lengthy interviews with Ballard in the months before her 1976 death.

Those hours of tape became the basis for Benjaminson's 2008 book, "The Lost Supreme: The Life of Dreamgirl Florence Ballard."

Ballard, nicknamed Blondie for her light hair, fell into poverty after her 1967 ouster from the Supremes and was nearly destitute when she died in Detroit of a coronary blood clot.

She is widely considered the inspiration for Jennifer Hudson's character in the movie musical "Dreamgirls," but "Blondie" producers say their film marks the first authentic historical treatment.

"We want people to understand she does have a legacy," said Davenport. "The story has been told a lot of different ways, but this one is from her perspective."

This will be the sixth acting role for Evans, a pioneering hip-hop singer and widow of the rapper Notorious B.I.G.

"Faith was the ideal choice, and not just for her striking physical resemblance and vocals," said Davenport. "It's also Ms. Ballard's tribulations -- there are several parallels, and it's a story she really connects with."

Contact BRIAN McCOLLUM: 313-223-4450 or mccollum@freepress.com
    OK, I'm confused.
    The Freep story says the film's plot or story pivots around Peter Benjaminson's life experiences & interviews . So is the story focusing on his taped interviews or Florence's experiences in Detroit during the Seventies? I guess most of the movie will feature Florence talking to Benjaminson?
    I'm still not clear.

Three million is a lot of money to you or I, but it is very low budget for a film. It doesn't even cover the millions some of the living principles would demand to be portrayed on screen. producers and Faith better not have too grand a weekend in Detroit. They need to watch that budget. And no clearances for Motown songs have been obtained. So Motown music may or MAY NOT be in the film. That's telling, very telling. But something new for some forum members to discuss all weekend.
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 11-19-2010 at 11:19 AM.

topdiva1 Guest
    I understand that various "parts and recollections" from "Dreamgirl My Life As A Supreme" by Mary Wilson and "All That Glittered My Life With The Supremes" by Tony Turner - have been purchased to go along with tapes and writings from the Peter Benjaminson bio on Flo, on which the movie is based.

It appears that this has been in the works for over four years - very quietly, the film is already expected to exceed it's present small 3 million budget.

jonc Guest
    I understand that various "parts and recollections" from "Dreamgirl My Life As A Supreme" by Mary Wilson and "All That Glittered My Life With The Supremes" by Tony Turner - have been purchased to go along with tapes and writings from the Peter Benjaminson bio on Flo, on which the movie is based.

It appears that this has been in the works for over four years - very quietly, the film is already expected to exceed it's present small 3 million budget.
    You can barely make a national TV commercial for $3 million dollars. This has to be a cable movie for Lifetime or TNT if it really is in the works. I'm still skeptical.

topdiva1 Guest
    You can barely make a national TV commercial for $3 million dollars. This has to be a cable movie for Lifetime or TNT if it really is in the works. I'm still skeptical.
    Right, three million is a shocking small amount for any film, I do not understand how that amount can even remotely be feasible.

Put me down as skeptical too, but for a whole lot of other reasons.
    A film can be made for a measly $3 million. But it's going to look cheap, vastly different from a Hollywood film made for $30 or $50 million. And $3 million is what the publicist obviously told Mr. McCollum. He didn't pull that figure out of the air. And I didn't see anything in the Free Press story about producers optioning or purchasing parts of other books to flesh out Peter Benjaminson's story.
    How often is this is normally done and these "other Flo-book writers" are not requiring any credit?

Remember it was The Godfather based on Mario Puzo's novel, not The Godfather based on the book by Mario Puzo and a bunch of other guys who have written novels about the Mafia.
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 11-19-2010 at 05:41 PM.

Right, three million is a shocking small amount for any film, I do not understand how that amount can even remotely be feasible.

I'm pretty sure that will not be the final number.

I learned this week that Nicci Gibert [[of the group Brownstone),has been chosen for the role of Maxine Ballard.

Jet Magazine has a report on the movie in this week's issue.

Hey Marv
    What did I tell you about the naysayers?

Topdiva... it's a new age in independent filmmaking. With the advent of low cost digital technology, and editing through as AVID machine, a film can be made for much less than in the past. Keep in mind, a 60 minute episode of a soap opera costs about 250,000$, and depending on which show your'e talking about, it looks VERY good and high budget. My favorite gay themed movie of all time was shot for 850,000$... and it looked VERY good [[and they got Jaqueline Bissett and Mary Kay Place for that!). This Flo movie has a budget three and a half times that.
    Last edited by jillfoster; 11-20-2010 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Hey Marv
    What did I tell you about the naysayers?
    Hey Steph, you told it right!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I learned this week that Nicci Gibert [[of the group Brownstone),has been chosen for the role of Maxine Ballard.
    Oh lord if that is true I can't wait until Maxine finds out !!! LOL

smark21 Guest
    There have been plenty of big budget movies that are awful--great production values does not equal a quality final product. Likewise, there are plenty of quality low budget movies.

The big key is whether the producers will get the right to have the music of the Supremes included in the movie.

Judging by the artists who are going to be on the soundtrack--Fantasia, Kelly Price, Lauryn Hill--I suspect the movie is going to be focussed on Florence Ballard battling adversity in her post Supremes years. I bet the movie will end with a "happy ending" of Flo performing "I Am Woman" in 1975 at that benefit in Detroit. Then as she takes her bows and before the end credits roll we'll read a caption that she died the following year.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    There have been plenty of big budget movies that are awful--great production values does not equal a quality final product. Likewise, there are plenty of quality low budget movies.

The big key is whether the producers will get the right to have the music of the Supremes included in the movie.

Judging by the artists who are going to be on the soundtrack--Fantasia, Kelly Price, Lauryn Hill--I suspect the movie is going to be focussed on Florence Ballard battling adversity in her post Supremes years. I bet the movie will end with a "happy ending" of Flo performing "I Am Woman" in 1975 at that benefit in Detroit. Then as she takes her bows and before the end credits roll we'll read a caption that she died the following year.
    No, they are going to show the death scene, the funeral and the burial.