[REMOVE ADS]

Bob Crewe, mastermind behind The Four Seasons, dies at 83

http://www.pressherald.com/2014/09/1...ns-dies-at-83/

The influential record producer and co-writer of ‘Rag Doll’ and ‘Big Girls Don’t Cry’ lived in Scarborough.

Songwriter and record producer Bob Crewe, who discovered and co-wrote songs for The Four Seasons in the 1960s, including numerous hits that led to his inclusion in the Songwriters Hall of Fame, died at his Scarborough home Thursday morning. He was 83.

Dan Crewe of Cumberland said his brother had been living at the Piper Shores nursing care facility in Scarborough since he fell and injured his brain three years ago.

Some of the memorabilia and mementos from songwriter Bob Crewe’s life are on display at the Cumberland home of his brother Dan Crewe. Many of the pieces were donated this year to the Maine College of Art in Portland, to be displayed in the new art and music program, for which the Bob Crewe Foundation donated $3 million. Derek Davis/Staff Photographer

The hit list

Bob Crewe, 83, of Scarborough was a successful songwriter and record producer from the 1950s to the 1980s. Here is a selection of some of his many hits:

1957: “Silhouettes,” by the Rays

1962: “Sherry,” by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons

1962: “Big Girls Don’t Cry,” by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons

1963: “Walk Like a Man,” by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons

1964: “Dawn [[Go Away),” by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons

1964: “Rag Doll,” by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons

1965: “Bye, Bye, Baby [[Baby, Goodbye),” by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons

1965: “Let’s Hang On!” by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons

1965: “Jenny Take a Ride,” by Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels

1966: “The Sun Ain’t Gonna Shine,” by the Walker Brothers

1967: “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You,” by Frankie Valli

1969: “Good Morning, Starshine,” by Oliver

1974: “Lady Marmalade,” by Labelle

“He created The Four Seasons,” Dan Crewe said by telephone Thursday night. “But he will be remembered for the actual songs he wrote, the quality of those songs, which are now considered the standards of the rock ‘n’ roll era.”

The long-running Broadway show “Jersey Boys” and a 2014 movie by the same name directed by Clint Eastwood were based on the lives and careers of bandmates in The Four Seasons. Actor Mike Doyle portrays Crewe in the film.

Crewe grew up in Belleville, New Jersey, before he moved to New York City and attended the Parsons School of Design.

After deciding that he didn’t want to become an architect, he started recording demo records and writing songs. Crewe and Frank C. Slay went on to co-write hits such as “Silhouettes” for The Rays and “Way Down Yonder in New Orleans” for Freddie Cannon, according to his brother.

Dan Crewe said his brother’s character and “striking good looks” elevated him to teen idol status, landing him on the cover of 16 Magazine and appearances on early 1960 talent shows like those hosted by Dick Clark.

During that time, Bob Crewe discovered a young vocal group from New Jersey and hired them to sing backup on recording demos and singles. In collaboration with another young songwriter, Bob Gaudio, Crewe renamed the group The Four Seasons and wrote a number of hit songs for them, including “Rag Doll,” “Walk Like A Man,” “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You,” “Big Man In Town,” and “Bye Bye Baby [[Baby Goodbye).”

In 1967, after hearing a jingle on the radio for a soft drink commercial, Crewe recorded “Music To Watch Girls By,” a hit that his band, the Bob Crewe Generation, recorded.

Crewe went on to innovate the concept of independent record production and created his own label, DynoVoice Records.

He continued to look for talented musicians, discovering a young band from Detroit named Billy Lee and the Rivieras. He renamed the group Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels. That collaboration resulted in three top-10 hits, including “Jenny Take a Ride,” “Sock It To Me” and “Devil in a Blue Dress.”

His songwriting career revived in the 1970s after he and Kenny Nolan co-wrote the Frankie Valli hit “My Eyes Adored You.” Crewe and Nolan wrote another No. 1 hit, “Lady Marmalade,” which Allen Toussaint recorded with LaBelle, an all-female group headlined by Patti LaBelle.

Crewe was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1992. Nearly every song that he wrote made it into Billboard’s top 20.

His compositions have been heard on numerous films and television shows, including the score for the soundtrack of the film “Barbarella,” a cult classic starring Jane Fonda.

Crewe lived most of his life in Los Angeles, but moved to Maine four years ago to be close to his brother, who lives in Cumberland.

The Bob Crewe Foundation, which the brothers founded in 2009, donated $3 million this year to the Maine College of Art in Portland to establish the Bob Crewe Program for Art and Music.

In addition to giving back to the arts and music industry, the Bob Crewe Foundation supported AIDS research and promoted lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender rights and initiatives. Crewe was gay and proud of the fact that he achieved success during an era when gay and lesbian individuals were often discriminated against, his brother said.

“Bob will be missed but not forgotten. Every 20 minutes a Bob Crewe song is playing somewhere in the world,” his brother wrote in the obituary.

Memorial services will be held at a future date in Los Angeles and possibly in Maine at the Maine College of Art. The time and dates have not been announced.

Donations can be made in Crewe’s name to the Maine College of Art Scholarship Fund, the University of Southern Maine School of Music Scholarship Fund or to the Frannie Peabody Center in Portland.

I know he produced "Navy Blue" by Diane Renay. I think he produced all her recordings. He also worked with Dee Dee Sharp at Cameo-Parkway labels in '64. Great writer; producer!

Bob

Thanks for all the great music

edafan R I P

I'm so sorry to hear this. I LOVE Frankie Valli and the 4 Seasons. RIP Bob. :'[[

A Lover's Concerto by The Toys was a Bob Crewe production.

honest man Guest
    Was Bob also connected to Chelsea label mid 70s Disco tex and Sexolettes,Jim Gilstrap,Linda Carr and love squad etc,the man was a genius ,THANK YOU FOR ALL THE MUSIC,Sir.

Releases on the DynoVoice are well worth investigating.

R I P Bob Crewe

Yes, Bob Crewe co-wrote with Kenny Nolan and produced Get Dancin' by Disco Tex and His Sex-O-Lettes.

I'm thinking Bob also did some work for Motown - Keep an Eye on Your Close Friend, Going Down for the Third Time? Could be adrift.

Well adrift. Send for the lifeboat. No idea where that confusion came from, Ashford and Simpson and HDH, in fact. Maybe I should come home and get my soulful shit sorted...