[REMOVE ADS]

Cool Release Date Of Two MOTOWN CD Titles Pushed Back

The original September 16 release date for BBR's CD reissue of Edwin Starr's "Soul Master" [[Expanded) and "Involved" [[Expanded) have been pushed back to October 27. - Gary

5% bummed out by the slight momentary setback, but 95% "That's OK. There's many other Motown CD purchases that can be made in the meantime. I'll get those sources of "SOS [[Stop Her On Sight)" and "Stop The War Now" eventually - and they'll rock!".

Damn, I was really looking forward to receiving Soul Master, and in particular the single version of My Weakness is You, which does NOT include Edwin's 'It's alright...' and 'Take this heart of mine...' on the intro, which seems to be on all his other CD collections. I much prefer it going straight into the song, it was the version I heard first and the one I much prefer. THIS version...

Very disappointing, I would rather labels would not release a date until they know they can deliver, then delay when you have had it on order from first date listed on Amazon!

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Very disappointing, I would rather labels would not release a date until they know they can deliver, then delay when you have had it on order from first date listed on Amazon!
    Yeah, it's disappointing, for sure, but sometimes problems arise which are unavoidable, e.g., the pressing plants get backed up, or what have you. At least we know the CD titles are coming, and we have something to look forward to. - Gary

The Good News is the wait is over just had my email from Amazon UK to say "Soul Master" is currently out for delivery [[here in the UK Amazon deliver orders themselves and not by Royal Mail) waiting for the bell to ring!

Congrats, you lucky dog, you!

It's available on Dusty Groove. I received my copy on Saturday and I'm in heaven! Always thought "Soul Master" was one of Edwin's best LPs at Motown. All of his Ric Tic singles are included and definitely make this CD a must have for any Motown collector/fan.

Quote Originally Posted by no_place_like_motown View Post
    It's available on Dusty Groove. I received my copy on Saturday and I'm in heaven! Always thought "Soul Master" was one of Edwin's best LPs at Motown. All of his Ric Tic singles are included and definitely make this CD a must have for any Motown collector/fan.
    Yeah, "Soul Master" is my fave Edwin Starr album, too. I've already got "Soul Master" on CD, thanks to the two-fer from Motown UK a few years back. I want the newly-remastered CD for the bonus tracks. What are the bonus tracks anyway? Are they previously-unreleased songs, or are they just rehashed remixes?
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 09-22-2014 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Yeah, "Soul Master" is my fave Edwin Starr album, too. I've already got "Soul Master" on CD, thanks to the two-fer from Motown UK a few years back. I want the newly-remastered CD for the bonus tracks. What are the bonus tracks anyway? Are they previously-unreleased songs, or are they just rehashed remixes?
    Yes, reports that this has been delayed by a month seem wrong as Amazon.co.uk have this C.D. as currently being shipped ....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Master-Expan...229816&s=music

The bonus tracks are .....

13. AGENT DOUBLE-O-SOUL [[STEREO MIX)
    14. BACK STREET [[Single Version)
    15. STOP HER ON SIGHT [[S.O.S)[[Single Version)
    16. I HAVE FAITH IN YOU [[Single Version)
    17. HEADLINE NEWS [[Single Version)
    18. HARLEM [[Single Version)
    19. IT'S MY TURN NOW
    20. GIRL'S ARE GETTING PRETTIER [[Single Version)
    21. YOU'RE MY MELLOW [[Single Version)
    22. MY KIND OF WOMAN [[Single Version)
    23. I WANT MY BABY BACK [[Single Version)
    24. GONNA KEEP TRYIN' 'TL I WIN YOUR LOVE [[Single Version)
    25. I AM THE MAN FOR YOU BABY [[Single Version)
    26. MY WEAKNESS IS YOU [[Single Version)
    27. WAY OVER THERE [[Single Version)
    28. BACK STREET [[Instrumental Version )
    29. AGENT DOUBLE-O-SOUL [[Instrumental Version)

Roger

Yes arrived just after lunch, loaded onto my Tablet/iPod, tracks were listed, but no cover picture, found a good one of the original Gordy album covers, just Superb!

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Yes, reports that this has been delayed by a month seem wrong as Amazon.co.uk have this C.D. as currently being shipped ....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Master-Expan...229816&s=music

The bonus tracks are .....

13. AGENT DOUBLE-O-SOUL [[STEREO MIX)
    14. BACK STREET [[Single Version)
    15. STOP HER ON SIGHT [[S.O.S)[[Single Version)
    16. I HAVE FAITH IN YOU [[Single Version)
    17. HEADLINE NEWS [[Single Version)
    18. HARLEM [[Single Version)
    19. IT'S MY TURN NOW
    20. GIRL'S ARE GETTING PRETTIER [[Single Version)
    21. YOU'RE MY MELLOW [[Single Version)
    22. MY KIND OF WOMAN [[Single Version)
    23. I WANT MY BABY BACK [[Single Version)
    24. GONNA KEEP TRYIN' 'TL I WIN YOUR LOVE [[Single Version)
    25. I AM THE MAN FOR YOU BABY [[Single Version)
    26. MY WEAKNESS IS YOU [[Single Version)
    27. WAY OVER THERE [[Single Version)
    28. BACK STREET [[Instrumental Version )
    29. AGENT DOUBLE-O-SOUL [[Instrumental Version)

Roger
    WOW, Roger! 17 bonus tracks! That's incredible! I posted the original thread here regarding the release dates being pushed back for Edwin Starr's "Soul Master" and "Involved", which wasn't a mistake. Here in the U.S., both titles were originally scheduled for a September 16th release, but then got pushed back to October 27 [[strange, as the 27th is a Monday, not a Tuesday). Now they've been moved up to October 7. [[See link below.)

http://www.amazon.com/Soul-Master-Ex...soul+master+cd

You guys are lucky to have gotten your copies first. Enjoy! And thanks for the track list. Mighty impressive! - Gary

Last night I was in "Edwin Starr Heaven" lay on top of the bed on a nice warm evening! brought back so many memories of the times worked with Edwin & interviewed him, a real Gent!

WOW, Roger! 17 bonus tracks! That's incredible! I posted the original thread here regarding the release dates being pushed back for Edwin Starr's "Soul Master" and "Involved", which wasn't a mistake. Here in the U.S., both titles were originally scheduled for a September 16th release, but then got pushed back to October 27 [[strange, as the 27th is a Monday, not a Tuesday). Now they've been moved up to October 7. [[See link below.)

http://www.amazon.com/Soul-Master-Ex...soul+master+cd

You guys are lucky to have gotten your copies first. Enjoy! And thanks for the track list. Mighty impressive! - Gary
    Sounds like Amazon US set back their "release" date when they heard that there might be some delay at the UK end to me Gary.

Incidentally the US$ price at $28.47 sounds a little steep to me ... Amazon.co.uk have it at £10.99, which translates at approximately US$18.50 at current exchange rates, so I suspect that an order from the U.K. would turn out cheaper, even with the postage [[That is assuming that the different versions of Amazon don't put a block on that sort of thing happening).

Anyway, I've just put an order for this expanded edition of "Soul-Master" and it should be arriving at my humble little abode tomorrow ...

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Sounds like Amazon US set back their "release" date when they heard that there might be some delay at the UK end to me Gary.

Anyway, I've just put an order for this expanded edition of "Soul-Master" and it should be arriving at my humble little abode tomorrow ...

Roger
    I really don't know, Roger. I've always assumed that, if there were any pushing back of release dates to be done, it was decided by the record company putting out the CD [[in this case, BBR) due to production/post-production problems, a back-up at the pressing plant, etc., and that Amazon would merely announce the release-date change made by BBR. I'm thinking that Amazon is only the seller here. They want the CD to get released and into the customers' hands ASAP in order to make their sales profits. If I'm wrong, somebody correct me.

Oh, by the way, did your newly-remastered copy of "Soul Master" arrive at your "humble little abode" today? HaHa! We in the U.S. still have another two weeks to wait! Awe $#@%^%$%#%$$!!!

Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 09-24-2014 at 06:11 PM.

[QUOTE=Philles/Motown Gary;251635] I'm thinking that Amazon is only the seller here. They want the CD to get released and into the customers' hands ASAP in order to make their sales profits. If I'm wrong, somebody correct me.

Amazon.com is not the only seller here in the US where the new BBR reissue of Soul Master is available; importcds.com has it available for preorder at a price of $10.48 [[as opposed to Amazon's $28.47), deepdiscount.com has it available for preorder at a price $13.16, and blowitoutahere.com has it available for preorder at a price of $19.27 to name just three alternatives to amazon.com. I've dealt with all three of these other sellers in the past and, in addition to offering a lower price than amazon.com, they often ship new UK imports to their customers before Amazon does. Don't get me wrong--I like Amazon and I frequently buy from them, but there are times when you can get a product you're seeking cheaper and quicker from another vendor.

[QUOTE=Nothing But Soul;251639]
    I'm thinking that Amazon is only the seller here. They want the CD to get released and into the customers' hands ASAP in order to make their sales profits. If I'm wrong, somebody correct me.

Amazon.com is not the only seller here in the US where the new BBR reissue of Soul Master is available; importcds.com has it available for preorder at a price of $10.48 [[as opposed to Amazon's $28.47), deepdiscount.com has it available for preorder at a price $13.16, and blowitoutahere.com has it available for preorder at a price of $19.27 to name just three alternatives to amazon.com. I've dealt with all three of these other sellers in the past and, in addition to offering a lower price than amazon.com, they often ship new UK imports to their customers before Amazon does. Don't get me wrong--I like Amazon and I frequently buy from them, but there are times when you can get a product you're seeking cheaper and quicker from another vendor.
    Nothing But Soul, you misunderstood what I said. I didn't say that Amazon is the ONLY seller. I said that Amazon is only the SELLER here -- BBR is the record company who would make the decision to push a CD's release back. Amazon would merely make the announcement that the release date has been change, as per BBR's notification.

You're right about Amazon's third-party sellers, though. They're usually much less expensive. As you mentioned, Import CDs in California is an excellent one that I've done business with, although their CD's take a couple weeks to get here. MovieMars-CDs is another good one, as they offer Expedited Shipping. Amazon is best for me because I'm an Amazon Prime customer. For a set yearly fee, I get all of my Amazon orders sent via FREE 2nd-Day Delivery [[excluding third-party dealers). Also, for every CD that I Pre-order, I'll have it in my hands -- here at home -- on the day of release. [[Not two days later to allow for shipping, but THE day of release.) With all of the CD's that I buy, the one-time yearly fee has paid for itself over and over. For me, it's really worth it.

Oh, by the way, did your newly-remastered copy of "Soul Master" arrive at your "humble little abode" today? HaHa! We in the U.S. still have another two weeks to wait! Awe $#@%^%$%#%$$!!!
    Indeed it did, it arrived mid-morning which gave me time to play it before going out in the late afternoon ... and this is what it looks like ....

Name:  EdwinStarrCD.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  49.3 KB

I'm playing it again as I type .. the music is great [[as I already knew) but I'm not too sure about the booklet notes, as the reviewer [[Justin Cober-Lake) has a flowery style that treats the songs in the way that I might expect someone to refer to Shakespeare Sonnets.

Also BBR have comitted the Cardinal Sin of referring to the other "Soul" issues illustrated in the section of the Jewel Box behind where the C.D. lives as "More classic MOTOWN albums on BBR" in spite of the fact that NONE of the acts featured [[BILLY PAUL, THREE DEGREES, O'JAYS, LINDA LEWIS, BILL WITHERS, HAROLD MELVIN & THE BLUENOTES, JOHNNY NASH) ever recorded for Motown!!!

Perhaps I shoud write to BBR to tell them how upset I am about this gross error of theirs and with any luck they might send me free copies of these C.D.s by way of compensation

Roger

Roger, glad you're enjoying your new Gordy....er, BBR CD! "Soul Master" has always been my fave Edwin Starr CD. Don't 'cha just love the way BBR recreates the original record label, replacing only the word Gordy with BBR! That is so classy!

They're pawning off non-Motown product as MOTOWN? Oh no!!! You're absolutely right -- it is indeed a Cardinal Sin. At least the artists mentioned aren't embarrassing artists, especially the Philly artists, but still....

Send you free copies of the above-mentioned CD's. I suppose it's possible, but, I would tend to be more of the mindset of "Dream on!" HaHa!

My mailman delivered my copy of "Soul Master" to my home in Michigan this morning. BBR did a fine job with this reissue. I would love to see the recordings of a couple of other Ric-Tic artists that were also absorbed by Motown, the Fantastic Four and J.J. Barnes, get the same kind of treatment.
    Last edited by Nothing But Soul; 09-29-2014 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nothing But Soul View Post
    My mailman delivered my copy of "Soul Master" to my home in Michigan this morning. BBR did a fine job with this reissue. I would love to see the recordings of a couple of other Ric-Tic artists that were also absorbed by Motown, the Fantastic Four and J.J. Barnes, get the same kind of treatment.
    NothingButSoul, how did you get your copy of BBR's "Soul Master" CD delivered so early in Michigan? U.S. Amazon won't have it until October 7. Just to prove that I'm not nuts [[er, not totally yet!), here's the U.S. Amazon link which clearly states available October 7. Did you get yours from a third-party dealer who had access to import copies?

http://www.amazon.com/Soul-Master-Ex...rr+soul+master
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 09-29-2014 at 07:53 PM.

Roger, I totally agree on the booklet notes, not what we've become used to on soul releases, when so much expertise is usually employed. However, as expected, I got my mono single release version of My Weakness Is You, on track 26, .

New Zealand Post has just delivered mine and it looks great.The liner notes don`t worry me although I`m disappointed that there are no recording details. Hopefully "25 Miles" will be next up.

NothingButSoul, how did you get your copy of BBR's "Soul Master" CD delivered so early in Michigan? U.S. Amazon won't have it until October 7. Just to prove that I'm not nuts [[er, not totally yet!), here's the U.S. Amazon link which clearly states available October 7. Did you get yours from a third-party dealer who had access to import copies?
    You're not nuts, Phillies/Motown Gary--my copy came from Amazon UK! My daughter ordered it for me from them and had it shipped to the States. I probably would not have done it that way, because I had a bad experience a couple of years ago ordering from Amazon UK and having an item shipped to Michigan [[it took many weeks for my item to arrive). However, in the case of "Soul Master" it worked out great; I received it a little over a week after they mailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nothing But Soul View Post
    You're not nuts, Phillies/Motown Gary--my copy came from Amazon UK! My daughter ordered it for me from them and had it shipped to the States. I probably would not have done it that way, because I had a bad experience a couple of years ago ordering from Amazon UK and having an item shipped to Michigan [[it took many weeks for my item to arrive). However, in the case of "Soul Master" it worked out great; I received it a little over a week after they mailed it.
    Ah, so that's it! Okay. I knew there had to be some method to this madness! Glad you got your copy early and successfully. Edwin Starr's entire "Soul Master" album is HOT! Can hardly wait to get mine on October 7. - Gary