[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A Pocketful of Miracles download notification

I'm listening to this download now from iTunes and this is clearly a transfer from vinyl.

I was just listening to it. I like it. I also gave a listenn to One Dozen Roses and Flying High Together.

I just listened to it again and you're right! Disappointing to say the least. I would hope the powers that be locate the mater tapes and rectify the matter ASAP. I was so excited to finally get these releases too!

To BayouMotownMan and blackguy69: I bought all three and my copies sound great. [[I typically detest anything that's dubbed from vinyl. I didn't sense one single trace of surface noise nor ticks and pops from beginning to end. Where did ya get your downloads, BayouMotownMan? Mine came from Amazon. - Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    To BayouMotownMan and blackguy69: I bought all three and my copies sound great. [[I typically detest anything that's dubbed from vinyl. I didn't sense one single trace of surface noise nor ticks and pops from beginning to end. Where did ya get your downloads, BayouMotownMan? Mine came from Amazon. - Gary

I downloaded from iTunes. I have reported this to someone influential at Motown Universal and on Monday they will ck this out. Several of these tracks have clear popping from vinyl. I can't imagine it would be any different if the download came from some other source.

Thank you for alerting us to this issue. Having overseen all of the hi-res remasters, having the reference downloads in hand, and knowing that three people - including myself - witnessed or participated in the transfer of an original analog master tape, this is likely a technical issue with the audio files somewhere in the chain. Whatever needs to be done will be taken care of.
    Last edited by hwume; 09-07-2014 at 09:52 AM.

To BayouMotwnMan: All I know is that my copies of Pocketful, Roses, and Flying sound terrific, as do Smokey's Touch, Essar, and Yes It's You. You might wanna go into Amazon and check out the sound quality for yourself. Like hwume said, it has to be a technical glitch with Itunes. Motown's standards are consistently high. I'm sure they would never release anything dubbed from vinyl.

Thanks Harry for all the great work you and your team do.

Does "somewhere in the chain" mean the problem is with ITunes?

BayouMotownMan [[or anyone else), could you please give me a track and time where you clearly hear a pop? I downloaded this [[not from Itunes) a few days ago along with several other titles. I haven't listened to it yet, but I did just listen to the first track and didn't hear any pops.
    Last edited by calvin; 09-07-2014 at 12:33 PM.

Nice to hear from you, Harry. It's important to hear from you on SDF and learn from you, Andy, and George about what is really going on. We understand that there is a large corporation behind Motown and Universal releases.

Thank you for all that you do.

First of all, I didn't ACCUSE anybody of anything I merely stated that my download of Pocketful from iTunes has several tracks that are clearly mastered from vinyl. It is only THAT lp from iTunes that has this, the others mentioned are clearly from the tapes. Several people have contacted me saying they could hear it on there downloads from iTunes as well.

It is possible that iTunes was hacked in some way because I know that none of the powers-that-be at Universal would have deliberately done this. That being said, I've no doubt that on Monday this issue will be rectified.

The sound quality on One Dozen Roses, Flying High Together and Tell Me Tomorrow are exceptional. I've not yet listened to the other Smokey 80s lps yet.

correction, the Yes It's You Lady lp.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    First of all, I didn't ACCUSE anybody of anything I merely stated that my download of Pocketful from iTunes has several tracks that are clearly mastered from vinyl.
    Hi BayouMotownMan, I'm certainly not saying that you accused anyone of anything. If you hear pops in the recording, you did the right thing contacting Harry, and he thanked you for alerting him to the issue. It's better for him and everyone to get the issue sorted as quickly as possible to minimize the number of customers who have a problem and complain.

I'm still wondering, is it clear that "somewhere in the chain" means the problem is only with ITunes downloads? Could you please give me one example [[track, time) where there is a clear pop?

Flower Girl and the two or three tracks after Darling Dear

To BayouMotownMan: I wasn't implying that you were accusing anyone of anything, either. And I believed you from the start, especially when somebody else said that they experienced the same problem. You would think that the downloads would be from the same source and all possess the same quality, but something has obviously changed along the way, very possibly with itunes. That's why I suggested that you might try going into Amazon and give a test listen just to compare because my downloads were right-on perfect, as were another guy's. And, like I said, Motown's standards remain consistently high. If there's a problem, Harry will make it right. Good luck. Those albums are great. You surely want them sounding their best. - Gary

I bought my download from Qobuz. Just listened to those tracks and I don't hear any pops. Yes, must be an ITunes thing, I'm sure it will get sorted out tomorrow.

Good day,

I have just paid $9.99 and downloaded "A Pocket Full of Miracles" from the U.S. iTunes Store. I hear no clicks or pops - sounds pretty good, in fact, as it's "Mastered for iTunes" [[higher resolution audio). Not a plug, just true.

BayouMotownMan and justanothermotownfan, did you DL from iTunes U.S., or are you outside the U.S.? Trying to trace the source. And can you pinpoint a track title and time where you hear the noises?

Has anyone else had this issue? It's puzzling...

HW

I downloaded from iTunes US, I don't have access to anything else but that and Amazon US. Flower Girl had the pops and the three tracks after Point It Out

Quote Originally Posted by hwume View Post
    Good day,

I have just paid $9.99 and downloaded "A Pocket Full of Miracles" from the U.S. iTunes Store. I hear no clicks or pops - sounds pretty good, in fact, as it's "Mastered for iTunes" [[higher resolution audio). Not a plug, just true.

BayouMotownMan and justanothermotownfan, did you DL from iTunes U.S., or are you outside the U.S.? Trying to trace the source. And can you pinpoint a track title and time where you hear the noises?

Has anyone else had this issue? It's puzzling...

HW

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I downloaded from iTunes US, I don't have access to anything else but that and Amazon US. Flower Girl had the pops and the three tracks after Point It Out
    Same as BayouMM, but I don't think it said "Mastered for iTunes" when I purchased my download. Is that new?

Quote Originally Posted by justanothermotownfan View Post
    Same as BayouMM, but I don't think it said "Mastered for iTunes" when I purchased my download. Is that new?
    All of the Miracles and Smokey solo titles issued digitally for the first time anywhere on August 19 were "Mastered for iTunes" - higher resolution process - and 'standard digital' elsewhere. Below is a screenshot from the US iTunes Store showing the "Mastered for iTunes" tag, and here is a link too: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/a-...es/id906867429

We haven't had any other emails or comments about the pops, but it would help me personally to follow through for you if I had specifics; i.e., the digital time when it happens in which track number.

Just another Saturday night!

HW
    Name:  SRM_Pocket_MFiT.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  97.8 KB
    Last edited by hwume; 09-14-2014 at 02:46 PM.

[QUOTE=Motown Andy;225616][COLOR=#222222][FONT=Times]Thank you everyone for listening.
    Ryon6, I believe the Smokey/Miracles sets will continue."

I am waiting for the box set that Andy says he believes will be continued. My fingers are definitely crossed. The 'Depend On Me' box set was the best. Became a deeper Miracle fan after listening to the that box set. Anxiously awaiting volume 2!!! [["The tears of a clown")

All of the Miracles and Smokey solo titles issued digitally for the first time anywhere on August 19 were "Mastered for iTunes" - higher resolution process - and 'standard digital' elsewhere. If for some my attempt to upload a screenshot from the US iTunes Store showing the "Mastered for iTunes" tag doesn't work, here is a link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/a-...es/id906867429

We haven't had any other emails or comments about the pops, but it would help me personally to follow through for you if I had specifics; i.e., the digital time when it happens in which track number.

Just another Saturday night!

HW
    Name:  SRM_Pocket_MFiT.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  97.8 KB
    Harry, thanks for looking into this. I clearly hear popping in the first 15 seconds of Darling Dear underneath the cymbals. It's really not that bad and I'm willing to live with it if nothing can be done, and I appreciate your prompt responses.

Those "pops" in Darling Dear are mouth clicks from either Smokey, as he is singing, or the Miracles opening their mouths in anticipation of their harmony parts.

Sometimes, in mastering, we remove certain click-y noises like that, owing to the digital age where these noises become something you *really notice* instead of part of the original vibe. In this case, the clicks were so far under the mix that to remove them would have messed with the audio.

BayouMotownMan, does this satisfy your concern, or are your pops more noticeable and/or in other songs? It may be a one-off anomaly as, again, this is the only notification we've received.

So, of the main Motown artists from 1961-1972, have all albums been released digitally or on CD now? With the exception being "G.I.T. On Broadway" by The Supremes and Temps, "The Temptations Show" and "On Broadway" by The Four Tops?
    Last edited by aarondillon2011@gmail.com; 09-15-2014 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    So, of the main Motown artists from 1961-1972, have all albums been released digitally or on CD now? With the exception being "G.I.T. On Broadway" by The Supremes and Temps, "The Temptations Show" and "On Broadway" by The Four Tops?
    I am fairly certain there are several albums across the Motown catalog not yet available digitally. We're working through those holes. Suggestions welcome.

I wonder if Harry gets a lot of complaints about the queen of mouth clicks in the Universal catalog, Karen Carpenter. She apparantly sang so softly and close to the mike when recording that it's really noticable when wearing headphones on those Carpenter albums.....
    Last edited by Glenpwood; 09-15-2014 at 04:40 PM.

There is always the possibility that the clicks that the complaining poster hears was generated by their own computer. It could be a buffer issue if he had copied the files to a CD-R, or it could be a crowded hard drive, or several other explanations.

Harry, I think it is confusing and misleading to the average consumer to call "Mastered for iTunes" files "high-resolution". Hi-rez should be reserved for 24-bit pre-masters. As you of course know, the 16-bit, 44.1 kHz, 256 kbps AAC files on iTunes are prepared from hi-rez files, but the resulting files on iTunes are still lower quality than lossless. Calling everything hi-rez only confuses the consumer and is, frankly, good for Apple. Harry, please don't take this as any sort of personal attack or criticism. I think it could lead to an interesting discussion.

Having stated that, MFiT provides a positive role in getting the industry to master from better quality sources. The fact that the master has to consciously be prepared rather than just copying a CD to a downloadable format is a step forward. My opinion, and the opinion of many others, is that Apple should just lead the industry in offering redbook lossless files, something almost no one else yet does here in the U.S.. If they won't do that, they could at least increase the bit-rate of their ACC files to at least 320 kbps, coupled with MFiT. But, why go through all that when they could just give the consumer lossless? This is beyond your involvement, and is really about Apple and its agendas.

For anyone outside of the industry who wants to know more about what "Mastered for iTunes" means:
    http://ppl.ug/sD7_kXK87CY/

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    I wonder if Harry gets a lot of complaints about the queen of mouth clicks in the Universal catalog, Karen Carpenter. She apparantly sang so softly and close to the mike when recording that it's really noticable when wearing headphones on those Carpenter albums.....
    I'm sure someone out there hates those mouth clicks, but I think they should be left in. I am a fan of cleaning up noise not inherent in a recording, like electrical clicks, but if it is a singer, or fret noise, I say, leave it in.

Philles/Gary: a lot of variables go into the quality of what is commonly called a "needle drop". There are things taken from vinyl that are so expertly done that you cannot tell. I have personally done thousands of needledrops. It is my hobby and side business.

I would agree that some things UMG has released on iTunes were from vinyl sources, but some have been quietly remastered from tape.
    Last edited by soulster; 09-16-2014 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    I am fairly certain there are several albums across the Motown catalog not yet available digitally. We're working through those holes. Suggestions welcome.
    Harry, thanks so much for making the remaining Smokey Robinson & The Miracles and Smokey Robinson [[solo) LPs available digitally! Those had been my top requests.

Yes, there are still quite a few, even if only considering releases from 1972 or earlier [[though I guess it depends on who one considers to be "the main Motown artists"). My top requests of the LPs remaining from that period:

Jr Walker & The All Stars - What Does It Take To Win Your Love
    Jr Walker & The All Stars - A Gassssssssss!
    Jr Walker & The All Stars - Moody Jr.
    Jr Walker & The All Stars - Rainbow Funk
    Jr Walker & The All Stars - Live [[1967)*
    * Note - there is a cd of Jr Walker & The All Stars Live with the cover from the 1967 LP, but the music is actually the 1970 Live LP!

The Originals - Naturally Together
    The Originals - Def.I.Ni.Tions

The Undisputed Truth - The Undisputed Truth
    Jimmy Ruffin - The Groove Governor
    Choker Campbell - Hits of the Sixties

Ok, not Motown and mostly after 1972, but how about the Four Tops ABC Dunhill albums?
    Last edited by calvin; 09-15-2014 at 06:47 PM.

Harry, I'll be happy to send you the one I downloaded. Popping is clearly heard on the beginning of Flower Girl, the que from Track s 4 & 5 are clearly from a turntable and at the end of track 6 is a couple seconds of vinyl hissing as the needle moves away from the music.

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    Ok, not Motown and mostly after 1972, but how about the Four Tops ABC Dunhill albums?
    Yes! Please!

I would love to see all of Jr. Walker's lps listed above as well as "House Party" by the Temptations

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    To the person who detests anything created from vinyl sources: a lot of variables go into the quality of what is commonly called a "needle drop". There are things taken from vinyl that are so expertly done that you cannot tell. I have personally done thousands of needledrops. It is my hobby and side business.

Soulster, there may be exceptions, but not everyone takes the same care that you do with their music dubbed from vinyl. A few months ago, I downloaded Johnny Mathis' second Thom Bell-produced album, "Mathis Is". I was thrilled that this Philly masterpiece was finally available from the master tapes. Ha! The bass is jacked up so high it's pathetic, and there's surface noise and distortion throughout. It was obviously taken from a vinyl record and then fed through an equalizer to fatten it up or something. I've heard close-and-plays that sounded better! Definitely NOT the digital quality that I had expected. [[It's a shame, too, because Johnny's "I'm Coming Home" album sounds gorgeous on CD.) The CD that I burned myself from the "Mathis Is" vinyl LP years ago sounds better than the download. - Gary
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 09-16-2014 at 02:18 AM.

I've heard so many vinyl transfers on ITunes and elsewhere [[clearly audible clicks and pops) that for me personally, if a title appears as a download that isn't available as a cd - then I automatically assume it's a vinyl transfer - unless I've seen promotion to the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    I've heard so many vinyl transfers on ITunes and elsewhere [[clearly audible clicks and pops) that for me personally, if a title appears as a download that isn't available as a cd - then I automatically assume it's a vinyl transfer - unless I've seen promotion to the contrary.
    I forget where I found the "Mathis Is" download, as it was one of my very first downloads from a few months ago. Since then, I've been getting all of my downloads from Amazon. Fourteen of them were Motown. To my ears, they sound really impressive -- not Universal-Japan CD quality, obviously, but clean and loud. As downloads go, I'm very pleased, although, like most of us, I prefer the physical CD release.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 09-16-2014 at 04:47 AM.

Soulster, there may be exceptions, but not everyone takes the same care that you do with their music dubbed from vinyl.
    Very true! Anyone who has heard illegal copies of albums that are posted on the internet that were made from vinyl knows how high the quality can be, and that they cannot be identified as being vinyl dubs, as such. That makes me wonder why label that puts vinyl-sourced material on a CD or on iTunes or Amazon can't do the same as the pirates. Just to be clear, I never post my stuff illegally on the net. I do my drops for my personal archives.

The bass is jacked up so high it's pathetic...

Now you know why I refuse to buy anything from bbr. They may be made from the master tapes, but they jack the bass on their CDs.
    Last edited by soulster; 09-16-2014 at 04:12 PM.

Soulster, re MFiT: point taken.

lakedistrictlad1: "I've heard so many vinyl transfers on ITunes and elsewhere..." Any titles from the UMe/Motown catalog of which we should be aware?

calvin: thank you for the list of suggestions. Many of them I look at, and go, "of course!"

BayouMM: feel free to send me clips. You know how to reach me.

Now you know why I refuse to buy anything from bbr. They may be made from the master tapes, but they jack the bass on their CDs.
    Soulster, I understood your point when we discussed it before. True, the BBR remasterings are way too bassy on some releases, but at least they have other redeeming features which make them well-worth buying [[at least for my ears) -- which is more than I can say for the cheap, vinyl, cop-out download that somebody pawned off on us for the Johnny Mathis "Mathis Is" release.

Soulster, I understood your point when we discussed it before. True, the BBR remasterings are way too bassy on some releases, but at least they have other redeeming features which make them well-worth buying [[at least for my ears) -- which is more than I can say for the cheap, vinyl, cop-out download that somebody pawned off on us for the Johnny Mathis "Mathis Is" release.
    If I ever find that Johnny Mathis vinyl album in good condition, i'll restore it for you. How about that? I'll even clean it with wood glue.

If I ever find that Johnny Mathis vinyl album in good condition, i'll restore it for you. How about that? I'll even clean it with wood glue.
    Wood glue? Very funny, Soulster! If you don't mind, I think I'll just hold out for a legitimate CD or download release. Wood glue! Indeed! HaHa! - Gary

Wood glue? Very funny, Soulster! If you don't mind, I think I'll just hold out for a legitimate CD or download release. Wood glue! Indeed! HaHa! - Gary
    You probably think i'm joking about the glue:

I've used this on the occasional noisy record. It gets rid of surface noise quite well.

And, I can make needledrops that sound as good as the CD, or better.

Harry, thanks for your informative explanation. Makes perfect sense. Since you're taking suggestions:

Jr. Walker & The All Stars 1970's and also the 1967 live album
    Undisputed Truth
    **All Workshop Jazz released titles**
    The Originals

And I know Brenda Holloway's "Every Little Bit Hurts" album has been released but I would love to have it in it's original mono!

Thanks again!

I have been long asking for the Switch albums to be domestically reissued on CD. I think a set like was done with the DeBarge catalog may work well. However, that set came out a few years back, and a CD set may not be a viable option, as the recent Rick James catalog on Motown was released digitally, to my disappointment. I only hope there are plans to reissue the set on HD Tracks.

Although they are not Motown, the Four Tops released at least three excellent albums on the ABC/Dunhill label in 1972, 73, and 74. But, as luck would have it, Universal owns that label, too, so, it would be a great idea to reissue "Keeper Of The Castle", "Main Street People", and "Meeting Of The Minds" digitally/CD, too.

Next, there's the Jerry Butler one-off 1977 album "Suite For The Single Girl".

Then, it would be nice to see more Jermaine Jackson albums available.

You probably think i'm joking about the glue:

I've used this on the occasional noisy record. It gets rid of surface noise quite well.
    And, I can make needledrops that sound as good as the CD, or better.
    Well, Soulster, I'll be dipped! I sure did think you were pullin' my chain, but you were dead serious. I appreciate your offer. How much would it cost me? [[If you want, you can send me a private email. It's up to you.) - Gary

Next, there's the Jerry Butler one-off 1977 album "Suite For The Single Girl"
    Soulster, Jerry Butler's "Suite For The Single Girl" is available on CD as a two-fer along with his first Motown album, "Love's On The Menu" [[courtesy of David Nathans SoulMusic label). Got my copy a few months ago. It sounds great! Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Loves-Menu-Sui...he+single+girl

- Gary

Soulster, Jerry Butler's "Suite For The Single Girl" is available on CD as a two-fer along with his first Motown album, "Love's On The Menu" [[courtesy of David Nathans SoulMusic label). Got my copy a few months ago. It sounds great! Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Loves-Menu-Sui...he+single+girl

- Gary
    I totally forgot about that! I did do a good job of it from vinyl, though.

About the cleaning up job: i'll PM you later.

Soulster, I just finished watching your wood-glue-record-cleaning video. That's pretty incredible! Gotta admit, when the video first showed you spreading the glue all over that Columbia LP, I cringed! All I could think of was, "Your poor stylus has to track its way through that mess!" But, damn, if it didn't all come off in one, neat piece! Pretty impressive!

I have just one concern: With the exception of the record's lead-in groove, the wood-glue cleaning process took care of the surface noise beautifully once the music started; the problem, however, is that there wasn't much bass response [[or, perhaps it was just that particular jazz recording that you used as an example). I'm pretty sure that a legitimate CD or download release of Johnny Mathis' "Mathis Is" would offer more bass response than the vinyl LP offers, wouldn't it? You see, I'm also a CD collector of The Sound Of Philadelphia, and I love the Philly Sound almost as much as I love Phil Spector's Philles label and Motown. It's gotta sound great, especially the "Mathis Is" album, which, to my knowledge, is pretty much the only Philly Sound album which hasn't been released on CD. [[I'm thinking that off the top of my head.)

Since you offered, how close to CD master-tape quality could you make a Needle-Drop version of "Mathis Is" sound for me?

I appreciate you going to so much trouble for me. Let's kick it around. - Gary

I totally forgot about that! I did do a good job of it from vinyl, though.

About the cleaning up job: i'll PM you later.
    Okay, sounds great! See ya later. - Gary

To Harry Weinger:

I send the download to CD of this album to you today. I wrote down the tracks to listen to. Hopefully by this time next week we will know what happened.

Soulster, I just finished watching your wood-glue-record-cleaning video. That's pretty incredible! Gotta admit, when the video first showed you spreading the glue all over that Columbia LP, I cringed! All I could think of was, "Your poor stylus has to track its way through that mess!" But, damn, if it didn't all come off in one, neat piece! Pretty impressive!
    That wasn't my personal video. In fact, if you look around YT, you will see many videos from others using the same technique, with varying results. Again, I use it from time to time on problem records that have lots of surface noise and dirt. It doesn't do much for clicks and pops, though. That's what good click removal software gets. Most of the time, I do no cleaning at all, and if I do, I just use some Nitty-Gritty cleaner on it.

I have just one concern: With the exception of the record's lead-in groove, the wood-glue cleaning process took care of the surface noise beautifully once the music started; the problem, however, is that there wasn't much bass response [[or, perhaps it was just that particular jazz recording that you used as an example). I'm pretty sure that a legitimate CD or download release of Johnny Mathis' "Mathis Is" would offer more bass response than the vinyl LP offers, wouldn't it? You see, I'm also a CD collector of The Sound Of Philadelphia, and I love the Philly Sound almost as much as I love Phil Spector's Philles label and Motown. It's gotta sound great, especially the "Mathis Is" album, which, to my knowledge, is pretty much the only Philly Sound album which hasn't been released on CD. [[I'm thinking that off the top of my head.)

The bass depends on many factors, including the cartridge used, and the nature of the recording. Most of the time, I do not EQ anything. What's on the record is what's on the record, even though I realize that sometimes the bass is slashed at the mastering stage. Again, many CDs have had the bass jacked up, like with the bbr releases, and had their overall levels boosted by about 6db or more. I have a way of subtly boosting bass without affecting the other frequencies if I feel the bass is really weak.

Since you offered, how close to CD master-tape quality could you make a Needle-Drop version of "Mathis Is" sound for me?
    Many albums on the original vinyl pressings will sound more like the master simply because they haven't been subjected to a bunch of the same crap that CDs have these days. However, there are many things that the master may be subjected to just to get it cut. We know what kind of mess they can do to digital, but here's a good primer of just what can happen:

http://www.recordtech.com/prodsounds.htm

Now, without hearing the actual master, there's no way of knowing exactly how it sounds. But, the main goal of the record cutter was to stay as close to the sound as possible. Not true with digital. Today, engineers and producers have gotten into the idea and habit of fundamentally changing the sound of the master just to get it louder, and to appeal to a consumer used to hyped-up sound, and playing music on their smartphones. They mix and master for mp3 and AAC. I don't know when that Jon Mat album was made, but they didn't have all that crap in those days. And, from the few late 70s albums I have from him, they sound quite good, usually on the softer side.

Anyway, I clean and then record the album at 32-bit [[24-bit float), remove clicks, surface noise, and then tweak and adjust anything that may need it, if need be. If the recording sounds closed-in, I may open it up a bit with very subtle EQ in the mid-range to bring out a more realistic sense of space. I may use a bit of a limiter just to bring up the RMS to realistic levels, but not enough to qualify for the usual levels contemporary CDs are done at. It's about at the same level as CDs were in the 90s, or where The Beatles 2009 stereo remasters are.

I maintain the same gaps that appeared on the record, but will place a five or six second gap between the "sides", according to feel. I never cut the files at the very beginning and end like so many amateurs do. But, if there are tight transitions or crossfades, like on Earth, Wind & Fire and Stevie Wonder albums, I maintain that. I just carefully choose the track start position.

The good news is that albums on the former CBS family of labels were pressed quite well.

Then, I use MBIT+ sample-rate conversion and dither to get it to 16-bit/44.1 for CD. Then, I create FLAC files from the wav files and tag them. After that, I can burn a CD-R, or make mp3/AAC, wma, or any other kind of file I want from those FLACs. Everything gets zipped and archived.

I appreciate you going to so much trouble for me. Let's kick it around. - Gary

Since I have a day job, and try to have a life, and with the holidays coming up, the only thing I battle is time to get it done. But, if the record is nasty dirty, looking like someone used it as a drink coaster or food plate at a wild party, I won't do it at all. If a person just wants a straight, flat copy of the vinyl, warts and all, I don't do any of the stuff described above other than clean.

The CDs of the PIR catalog, especially mastered by Tom Ruff at Sony/Legacy, sound really good to my ears. The soul music on some other labels' CDs, most notably the ones on Capitol, are very disappointing. Unless the tapes were cross-licensed by Sony for a comp, they don't sound so great. It's a good thing that Universal now has most of the catalogs of Natalie Cole, 60s Lou Rawls, Nancy Wilson, The Sylvers, O'Bryan, and others. Bear in mind that this is my opinion based on what I have.

I have edited this post like eleven times now. I'm OCD and pretty anal about getting things right. That is how I approach my needledrops.
    Last edited by soulster; 09-17-2014 at 01:17 AM.

Soulster:
    Keeper Of The Castle was released as a Motown twofer with Nature Planned It in 1990