[REMOVE ADS]

Joan Rivers Passes at 81

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=887390&gt1=28103

© Rex Features / Joan Rivers

Joan Rivers, Emmy-winning comedian and 'Fashion Police' host, dead at 81

Sept. 4, 2014, 2:58 PM EST
    By Tim Kenneally
    TheWrap
    Joan Rivers, the acid-tongued comedian whose unvarnished sense of humor drew criticism as well as laughs for decades, has died Thursday at age 81.

Rivers, who most recently co-hosted E!'s "Fashion Police," was rushed to Mount Sinai Hospital in New York on Aug. 28, after she stopped breathing while undergoing throat surgery.

Photos: Remembering Joan Rivers

Born Joan Alexandra Molinsky in Brooklyn in 1933, Rivers broke into the spotlight with a 1965 guest appearance on "The Tonight Show." Though she would go on to frequently guest-host for host Johnny Carson, Rivers was banned from the late-night show after she bailed on her permanent guest-host position in order to launch a competing show on Fox. While her show, "The Late Show Starring Joan Rivers," was short-lived, her ban would last for more than two decades. Rivers returned to the "Tonight Show" again, earlier this year, briefly appearing with new host Jimmy Fallon on his first episode.

See photos from TheWrap: Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014

During her decades-long career, Rivers would often turn her abrasive style on herself, frequently joking about her appearance and plastic surgery.

"I've had so much plastic surgery, when I die they will donate my body to Tupperware," Rivers once wisecracked.

Her second husband, film and television producer Edgar Rosenberg, also factored into her barbs.

But when her sharp-tongued humor was turned outward the comedian often found herself under fire from those who considered her jokes insensitive. In recent years, the comedian was criticized for joking about Grammy-winning singer Adele's weight, as well as jokes about the Holocaust and the Ariel Castro kidnappings in Cleveland, Ohio.

Rivers was prone to dig her heels in when faced with criticism. Called out by the Anti-Defamation League foe her "vulgar and hideous" remarks about the Holocaust, Rivers replied, "This is the way I remind people about the Holocaust. I do it through humor."

Tragedy struck Rivers' life in 1987 when her second husband, Edgar Rosenberg, committed suicide. Weighed down by health issues — he suffered a heart attack in 1984 — he also grappled with emotional issues.

"He bottled everything up," Rivers told People, "bottled it up and killed himself at 62."

Rivers was nominated numerous times for a Daytime Emmy, winning in 1990 in the Outstanding Talk/Service Show Host category for "The Joan Rivers Show."

Her other television credits include "The Carol Burnett Show," "Hollywood Squares," "Saturday Night Live," "Nip/Tuck" and "The Ed Sullivan Show." She and her daughter Melissa co-starred on the reality series "Joan & Melissa: Joan Knows Best," and were longtime co-hosts of E!'s Oscars pre-awards coverage, while the elder Rivers went on to host red-carpet events for TV Guide Channel.

Throughout Rivers' long career, she also branched out into writing, penning a dozen books, including the mock memoir "The Life and Hard Times of Heidi Abramowitz" and the books "Diary of a Mad Diva," "Still Talking" and "Bouncing Back: I've Survived Everything & and I Mean Everything & and You Can Too!" As a recording artist, Rivers was nominated for a Grammy award for her comedy album "What Becomes a Semi-Legend Most?"

She also had a successful fashion and jewelry line called the Joan Rivers Classics Collection, which is a top seller on QVC.

Rivers is survived by her daughter, Melissa.

Related stories from TheWrap:

Joan Rivers Hospitalized After She Stopped Breathing During Procedure [[Update)

Joan Rivers Backtracks on Palestine Remarks, Says They Were 'Taken Out of Context'

Joan Rivers Is Not Sorry for CNN Walkout: Every Question Was Accusatory

Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 [[Photos)

Joan

R. I. P.

edafan

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Wow did not want this to happen at all. Will miss you Joan R.I.P.

I really enjoyed every appearance I saw of JOAN RIVERS.

She had the great ability of being able to laugh at herself [[which I think a lot of other people should learn how to do).

RIP Miss Rivers!!

Roger

I love Joan. She gave us so much laughter over the years. She paved the way for so many, She was down several times, but never out. Her strength and courage were admirable. I will miss her.

One of her funny lines that sticks with me comes from a camera following her while she walked her tiny Min Pin on a street in New York City. She turned to the camera and said, "He was a Doberman before the recession."

My condolences to her family and friends. May she Rest In Peace...

~~Mary~~

I'm sorry, but I have to take a different road. She stopped being funny a generation ago. The so-called comedy she represented turned into something mean and spiteful. And her remark about First Lady Michelle Obama was the last straw, which was absurd coming from someone who looked like Joyce Wildenstein in her last days.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    I'm sorry, but I have to take a different road. She stopped being funny a generation ago. The so-called comedy she represented turned into something mean and spiteful. And her remark about First Lady Michelle Obama was the last straw, which was absurd coming from someone who looked like Joyce Wildenstein in her last days.
    And yet President Obama sent Melissa rivers a real lovely condolence letter which speak volumes about the mans good character.

Fondly,

Roberta

Exactly. Once again, he takes the high road even in the face of ignorance. A class act from head to toe.