[REMOVE ADS]

Northern Soul: The Film - Soundtrack Out 15/01/2014!

To those of you who have ever wanted to know what Northern Soul is all about, then look no further! Soundtrack out on 15/09/14 and the film on 17/10/14!

HURTXCD125 Northern Soul: The Film: Soundtrack Plus - 2 CD/1 DVD Box Set Released: 15/09/2014

Amazon Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Northern-Sou...+soul+the+film

In one of the most anticipated releases of the year, Harmless are proud to announce that we will be issuing the soundtrack to the forthcoming film, “Northern Soul” directed by Elaine Constantine. Early viewings confirm that “Northern Soul” will be the most accurate portrayal yet of this legendary musical movement which started in the north of England in the late 1960s and has now spread around the world and become a huge international scene. The film is due to launch in the UK in October 2014 and there will be considerable mainstream media coverage following the recent TV coverage via The One Show on BBC1 and the Culture Show on BBC2.

The soundtrack package for “Northern Soul” consists of CD1: the soundtrack itself containing all the key Northern Soul tracks from the film, CD2: an additional CD of specially chosen Northern Soul tracks compiled by “Northern Soul” director Elaine Constantine and an exclusive DVD with Elaine Constantine being interviewed about the making of the film by actor James Lance who plays top Northern Soul DJ Ray Henderson in the film. Plus there will also be some nice extras on the DVD!

This beautifully packaged 2CD/DVD package will also come with a 20 page booklet specially written by Gareth Sweeney – co-author of the bestselling accompanying book “Northern Soul”.
    This will be Harmless’ key release throughout 2014 and early demand and interest are already indicating that this will be a ‘must-have’ purchase for anyone who is interested in British musical culture, U.S. soul music and no doubt everyone who will see the film.

CD1: Northern Soul: The Soundtrack

1. Right Track - Billy Butler
    2. Back Street - Edwin Starr
    3. Soul Time - Shirley Ellis
    4. I Gotta Find Me Somebody - The Velvets
    5. If This Is Love [[I'd Rather Be Lonely) - The Precisions
    6. Seven Day Lover - James Fountain
    7. You Don’t Mean It - Towanda Barnes
    8. The Night - Frankie Valli
    9. I’m Com’un Home In The Morn’un - Lou Pride
    10. [[Just Say) You’re Wanted And Needed - Gwen Owens
    11. They’ll Never Know Why - Freddy Chavez
    12. Tear Stained Face - Don Varner
    13. Crying Over You - Duke Browner
    14. Exus Trek - Luther Ingram
    15. Too Late - Larry Williams & Johnny Watson
    16. Your Autumn Of Tomorrow - The Crow
    17. I’m Gone - Eddie Parker
    18. I Really Love You - The Tomangoes
    19. This Love Starved Heart Of Mine [[It’s Killing Me) - Marvin Gaye
    20. Stick By Me Baby - The Salvadores
    21. Time - Edwin Starr
    22. Come On Train - Don Thomas
    23. Lonely For You Baby - Sam Dees
    24. Gone With The Wind Is My Love - Rita & The Tiaras
    25. Suspicion - The Originals
    26. Turning My Heartbeat Up - The MVP’s
    27. Time Will Pass You By - Tobi Legend

CD2: Northern Soul: Further Inspiration from Elaine Constantine

1. She’ll Come Running Back - Mel Britt
    2. Little Love Affair - Patrinell Staten
    3. You Don’t Love Me - Epitome Of Sound
    4. I Just Can’t Live My Life [[Without You Babe) - Linda Jones
    5. What Good Am I Without You - Darrow Fletcher
    6. I Surrender - Eddie Holman
    7. I Don’t Like To Lose - The Group feat Cecil Washington
    8. In Love - Tony Galla
    9. I Was Born To Love You - Herbert Hunter
    10. I Really Love You - Jimmy Burns
    11. Blowing My Mind To Pieces - Bob Relf
    12. Please Stay - The Ivories
    13. The Chase Is On - Johnny Howard
    14. You Left Me - The Admirations
    15. Ain’t Gonna Run No More - The Royal Esquires
    16. Love Slave - The Antellects
    17. As Long As You Love Me [[I’ll Stay) - Ronnie & Robyn
    18. My Lonely Feeling - Milton James
    19. Can You Win - Charlene & The Soul Serenaders
    20. This Won’t Change - Lester Tipton
    21. Love Factory - Eloise Laws
    22. Under Your Powerful Love - Joe Tex
    23. It Really Hurts Me Girl - The Carstairs
    24. Hung Up On Your Love - The Montclairs
    25. Baby Don’t You Weep - Edward Hamilton & The Arabians
    26. The Magic Touch - Melba Moore
    27. If You Ever Walked Out Of My Life - Dena Barnes

Compiled and Sequenced With Love by Elaine Constantine

DVD: Actor James Lance interviews Elaine Constantine – director of ‘Northern Soul’ + an early Richard Searling interview with Elaine Constantine + Audio Extras

Ian D
    Last edited by Ian Dewhirst; 09-04-2014 at 09:05 AM.

I've always been curious about how U.K. tastes differ from U.S. tastes in soul music.

As an American, I never understood the whole Northern Soul thing, so I would really like to see the documentary.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I've always been curious about how U.K. tastes differ from U.S. tastes in soul music.

As an American, I never understood the whole Northern Soul thing, so I would really like to see the documentary.
    Looking at that tracklist reminds me just how much the same songs get played at NS doos,. IM getting quite fed up with it there is so much different music to be listened to,you go to Blackpool,Skegness etc the repeat of songs by various DJS is so annoying.really try being more adventorous especially the Vinyl snobbery that goes with it,should have aroom where CDS ARE ALLOWED,Especially with all the unearthed Motown Philly Atlantic etc which are brilliant and would be a breath of fresh air.Iam slowly winding down attending doos it is becoming stale and also quite expensive to listen to same old tunes.cheers.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post

Actually it's not a documentary but a movie, albeit an extremely accurate one. For U.S. viewers it will provide a fascinating snapshot of why the industrial North of the UK had much in common with Detroit, especially the music.

Motown started becoming popular in the UK from circa 1964 [[Mary Wells "My Guy" onwards basically) and then exploded between 1966-69 especially. The Northern Soul scene grew from that to become a major UK musical subculture by the late 1960s/early 1970s.

I think this film beautifully demonstrates the appeal of the Northern Soul scene at the time. The way the music has been mixed in the film is just fantastic. When you hear the Salvadors or Gwen Owens in the film, it just makes perfect sense. I think you'd enjoy it!

Ian D

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Looking at that tracklist reminds me just how much the same songs get played at NS doos,. IM getting quite fed up with it there is so much different music to be listened to,you go to Blackpool,Skegness etc the repeat of songs by various DJS is so annoying.really try being more adventorous especially the Vinyl snobbery that goes with it,should have aroom where CDS ARE ALLOWED,Especially with all the unearthed Motown Philly Atlantic etc which are brilliant and would be a breath of fresh air.Iam slowly winding down attending doos it is becoming stale and also quite expensive to listen to same old tunes.cheers.
    Well that's one of the downsides to a music scene that's been built on the obscurity and rarity of 7" vinyl 45s. The film doesn't help much either as it's based in the 70s and thus no CD players, i-pods, mp3s etc. Just those damned 7" vinyl records!

Ian D

Hi Ian, I ordered the bluray version: is the music mix in DTS?

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Hi Ian, I ordered the bluray version: is the music mix in DTS?
    I dunno Jack. Universal are releasing the Blue Ray version whereas Harmless is purely the soundtrack.....

Ian D

The Guardian has just released one of the trailers:-

http://www.theguardian.com/film/vide...-trailer-video

Ian D