[REMOVE ADS]

A Phil Spector production Black Pearl-Sonny Charles and The Checkmates

Very nice song with the wall of sound.

This is one of my favourite Spector productions.

Over the years, there have been very few of my favourite songs that had a finale [[here from 2:31 onwards) rather than a simple fade out. When Spector did a finale, it was always truly amazing. As a youngster, I would play that finale repeatedly. A couple of others with finales that brought me to my knees were from the Righteous Brothers Ebb Tide [[the emotion that builds up would bring tears to my eyes) and Ike and Tina Turners' Save The Last Dance For Me.

Thank you soulballad for this Sunday morning posting. It's put me in a great mood for the day .

honest man Guest
    Morning John have you also heard SONNY CHARLES -LOVE IS ALL I HAVE TO GIVE,A massive emotional production from Phil Spector,one of the best ever.In fact whole cd is a must.cheers.

All good stuff!!

S.S.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Morning John have you also heard SONNY CHARLES -LOVE IS ALL I HAVE TO GIVE,A massive emotional production from Phil Spector,one of the best ever.In fact whole cd is a must.cheers.
    I had to youtube that song. I'd never heard before and didn't know of anyone other than
    Sonny Charles taking lead. Bobby Lewis reminds me a bit of James Carr...

Checkmate's Unlimited catalogue needs to be issued digitally. They have some great stuff...

Hi Honest Man!

"Love Is All I Have To Give" is my all-time number two favourite record [[after Oscar Toney Jr's "For Your Precious Love") - but as a single edit; not the album version. It's on YouTube, too.

Best regards
    Heikki

The whole of side one of the 'Love Is All We Have To Give' is great. In addition to 'Love Is...' [[which I agree is wonderful) and 'Black Pearl' I also like their version of 'Proud Mary', which was their only chart entry as a single in the UK [[reaching 30). It's a pity that Phil Spector didn't produce side two [[the 'Hair' suite) as well, because I found it rather disappointing.
    Last edited by alanh; 09-03-2014 at 10:39 AM.

A few years back my former production partner, Teddie Morrow, and I got involved with a production company that had Sonny Charles under contract and wanted Teddie and me to produce the group. We had them send us a recent tape of their Las Vegas show. In all honesty, we were disappointed in what we were listening to. The band sounded rather tired or jaded and somewhat stereotypical of a lounge act and we decided to pass on the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by imnokid View Post
    Checkmate's Unlimited catalogue needs to be issued digitally. They have some great stuff...
    THE CHECKMATES LTD L.P. that includes "Black Pearl" was released by Hip-O-Select as a "Limited Edition" CD in 2006 ... I have #1103 of 5000.

It could be that it hasn't yet sold out, judging from this link ....

http://www.hip-oselect.com/scr.publi...d-c608303344b0

Roger

.........and it's also available as a download, as are a couple of their live albums.