[REMOVE ADS]

Proposed book on Detroit Music

Hi,
    I am a new member to the Forum, so please excuse me if this thread has appeared previously.
    I recently purchased some old 'Soul' fanzines and in an issue of 'Soul Renaissance' from 2002, an article by Graham Finch caught my eye.
    Graham had put in hours[[?) of work researching a book on the Detroit music scene and as this has never appeared on the shelves, I wondered I anyone knows if this is still a 'work in progress'.
    Or better still, Graham are you out there?

Welcome to the forum, Iain. I'm sure responses will be coming your way soon.

IAIN

Graham Finch did many of the Detroit features on the SDF site and posted frequently with the moniker "acoolcat". There's lots of stuff in the SDF archives. From memory, Graham took up a post in Taiwan teaching English.

It would be worth checking the archives dating back to when SDF started back in err.....it was a long time ago !

Very good suggestion, John.

A typical thread which would feature Graham

http://www.soulfuldetroit.com/archiv...tml?1085892794

A lot of other moniker names will be familiar to the likes of a few of us "oldies but goldies"....from about 10 years ago!

I have to say Ralph, at the time, we were all very concerned to have the history of Detroit music preserved for new fans and to be able to access this information some 10 years later makes me real proud.

Kind of validates our existence here, John.

I've pounded on this before, but I wish someone would write a comprehensive history of Detroit based music, covering all aspects of it, be it soul, rock, blues, jazz or folk. People forget [[for example) that in the mid-late 60's, Detroit had a thriving folk scene. For backround, look at Joni Mitchell's website. What I'd like to see in such a book is how the various genres interacted with each other.

And Theboyfrommxtown is correct about the archives. I was looking through them the other day, and wondering what happened to people like The Count, Juicefree20, KevGo and others from back in the douglasm days. Alas, the Aaaaaarrruuuuughhhhhh thread is not there.