[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    supremester Guest
    The 45 was listed as an add on our local top 50 and ran down to buy it before I heard it. I loved River Deep and assumed it would be a great pop record again. I was stunned that they put this out as a single - and stunned it got added locally [[although I never heard it.) the chorus sounded like a laxative commercial jingle to me - and still does. I can still picture shots of seniors smiling and frolicking in the hazy summer sun. The gospel part works, but the chorus, to me, is a hit killer if ever there was one. also, I think the failure of the pairing of the two groups is that, to me, Levi & Jean's voices do not work well together at all. I like their vocals separately on this, but, not together. I've always felt the reason Mag 7 was such a stiff is because of that. Not even a hit single and two fan bases could move that into the top 100. People digging the 45 and wanting the long version would have naturally snapped up the album - clearly promoted on every 45.

I always thought "Without The One You Love" was the standout on the Magnificent Seven album, but I doubt Motown would have released it here in the US as a single since it was already a Four Tops single years before. "Knock On My Door" was another great track with potential.

I never cared for "You Gotta Have Love In Your Heart." It never grabbed me as anything that could be a hit. It's rather a hokey sounding song. The better choice for a single should have been "I'm Glad About It" or "Where Would I Be Without You Baby." Those are two beautiful songs which should have been hits.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I always thought "Without The One You Love" was the standout on the Magnificent Seven album, but I doubt Motown would have released it here in the US as a single since it was already a Four Tops single years before. "Knock On My Door" was another great track with potential.

I never cared for "You Gotta Have Love In Your Heart." It never grabbed me as anything that could be a hit. It's rather a hokey sounding song. The better choice for a single should have been "I'm Glad About It" or "Where Would I Be Without You Baby." Those are two beautiful songs which should have been hits.
    Call Me was also a good call,I'll Try not to cry was another fave though i feel it was missing some Depth to it,BUT the biggest mistake by Motown was not issueing Together we can make such sweet music from previous album one of my all time songs, cheers.

what tracks were original to the Mag 7? obviously You Gotta Have Love. melody? i'm glad about it?

For you, Bluebrock...this is the thread I just mentioned, in your latest...

Always good to see it

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    For you, Bluebrock...this is the thread I just mentioned, in your latest...

Always good to see it
    Respect to you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I've never seen Jean Terrell looking happier on stage. I love the way Duke nudges her to get her attention. LOL!
    Obie also looks like he is having so much fun he actually forgets to raise the mic high enough, as he did more often throughout the years [[at least, that is always my impression looking at live footage of the group).

Quote Originally Posted by Daan76 View Post
    Obie also looks like he is having so much fun he actually forgets to raise the mic high enough, as he did more often throughout the years [[at least, that is always my impression looking at live footage of the group).
    Not one of my favourite songs, but i always enjoy watching this clip. I love the Supremes and the Four Tops as individual acts, but the material they were given on the three albums was generally of a sub standard quality. I was listening to the complete studio recordings again recently and nothing stood out and grabbed me - pretty much the way it was 40 something years ago, but as i said previously it is always good to see the two groups looking and sounding so happy and relaxed.

Stephanie, great find and thanks for sharing.i did think Jean and Levi were great together. Jean could really belt out and keep up with Levi.
    I was never a big fan of these albums but I did think Return of was the best of three. out of 40 tracks I think I could put together one good album.just my opinion.i did like some of the out takes from the deluxe edition. Chain Reaction was nice

Loved most of the songs they recorded but most of all I loved how great Jean & Levi's voices blended together.

I couldn't find an example from Ebay but just now, but wasn't a photo from the live session of 'You Gotta Have Love in Your Heart' used on the cover of the sheet music for this song? It looks very familiar, so I think I've seen it before.