[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Look What I Found - Live - Supremes and Four Tops - You Gotta Have Love in Your Heart

Nice find. Never saw it. Enjoyed it.

I never saw it either I was shocked! I wonder if this was a rehearsal or a show overseas I have seen a pic of it in a book and thats all.

its Top of the Pops and if im correct, its December 1971.

Ooo-wee, Stephanie! What a terrific find! Thank you.

Brilliant find Stephanie.

Nice post, Stephanie!

I feel sure I've seen that clip from BBC 'Top of the Pops' on various UK TV compilation programmes here, over the years - but, as it is in black and white, maybe not, and it is simply a reminder of the showing on TV. There are some still photos in colour, which fans of The Tops & The Supremes can match to this clip. It's good to know that some of our American friends have not seen this clip before

I think I would agree with blackguy69 that this clip was filmed in the BBC studios in December 1971. I attended a concert at our Royal Albert Hall in London, on November 30 1971, held to raise funds for a children's charity. [[the tickets were given to me as a gift by an aunt and uncle - how lucky was that....)

HRH Princess Margaret and her then husband, Lord Snowdon were in attendance, and the Four Tops were similarly received by the audience as royalty, and also as old friends. If anyone here has never visited the Albert Hall, I imagine it is not as large as many American auditoriums [[seats 5000 +) but has a fantastic atmosphere and, for its age and history, pretty good acoustics. Most of our BBC Promenade concerts continue to be held there [[anyone interested, check out the Pet Shop Boys'' concert last month!)

Princess Margaret, being 'only' the Royal Number 2 seed at the time, didn't always need [[or want, when it suited her...) to strictly observe the protocol required of her elder sister and, with Lord Snowdon, was clearly enjoying herself. The audience were on their feet for much of the time. The Four Tops were, of course, Tops.

Can you then imagine the response from the audience later in the show when, without announcement or mention in advertisement of the concert, the stage lights were dimmed, spotlights danced to the side of the auditorium and three ladies in shimmering white gowns [[I think Jean may be wearing hers in the clip shown here) sashayed onto the stage to join the Tops. Even Princess Margaret raised her arms and momentarily half raised herself with applause. I imagine there would have been handshaking and conversation backstage after the show. If so, I wonder if Princess Margaret enquired "Is that still a wig you're wearing, Mary?" ...
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 08-11-2014 at 07:04 AM.

This is a fantastic find! Thanks for posting it

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post

Stephanie! I do not believe it, but I have to because I can see it with my own eyes! You made the find of the year! I knew this clip had to be out there somewhere because too many still picture variations have circulated over the years. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    its Top of the Pops and if im correct, its December 1971.
    That's right because the Supremes began their tour of the UK in November of '71.

I've also just remembered that Jean acted as a judge on 'Miss World', held here in UK, which I believe was at this time.

Terrific find, Stephanie!!! Thanks for sharing this gem! John

The Magnificent Seven!

Oooooh honey! Mary Wilson was whippin' that hair back and forth DECADES before Willow Smith!

What a great clip!

Stephanie,
    I don't normally post often, but this was INDEED quite a find. There were so many feelings as I viewed this: amazement, nostalgic, sad, happy, and I can go on and on. Thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Nice post, Stephanie!I think I would agree with blackguy69 that this clip was filmed in the BBC studios in December 1971. I attended a concert at our Royal Albert Hall in London, on November 30 1971, held to raise funds for a children's charity...... HRH Princess Margaret and her then husband, Lord Snowdon were in attendance, and the Four Tops were similarly received by the audience as royalty, and also as old friends........... The audience were on their feet for much of the time. The Four Tops were, of course, Tops.Can you then imagine the response from the audience later in the show when, without announcement or mention in advertisement of the concert, the stage lights were dimmed, spotlights danced to the side of the auditorium and three ladies in shimmering white gowns [[I think Jean may be wearing hers in the clip shown here) sashayed onto the stage to join the Tops........
    Could the gowns have been the 'bugle beads ' gowns Cindy is wearing here ?

http://runway.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/12/reliving-the-glamour-of-the-supremes/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

The reason I ask is because in the U.S. edition of David Morse's book Motown [[pg 144) , there is a photo of the Supremes [[Jean, Mary, and Cindy)wearing those gowns while performing live with the Four Tops.

Carole....from this photo, I would say 'yes'....Mary has changed after appearing on stage, but Cindy has not. Cindy's gown is more as I remember them, even more than the one worn by Jean in the clip which Stephanie has posted.

I don't think I have a copy of David Morse's book. If I do, I have no idea where to find it! If you have one, would you be able to let us see that photo, please? That would be interesting.

Matched with the boots, Jean's outfit has more of a "country" feel. Looks to me almost like a blouse and skirt set.

great clip and thanks for sharing!

Mary better be careful swinging her wig around like that - might fly off hehehe

This is truly a rare clip now I would love to see when they did Bad Weather on TOTP

Man I am as happy as all of you! I never thought I would see a clip of the Supremes and the Four Tops live! I happen to be one of the Motown fans who loves the albums they did. Now if we could find one of River Deep Mountain High!!!! Its great to hear them live and Miss Wilson whipping her hair back and forth! Mary Brewster I was thinking the same thing. It is nostalgic to see this clip because I KNOW it reminds us fans of buying that album and wishing that they would have more hits other than River Deep. Gosh if I ever find anything else like this I will come running to Soulful Detroit and put it here we as a group appreciate rare finds like this. Hey Marv I wish I could find a live clip of Mary saying "I gotta be insane to keep up with your personality change....LOL Westgrand I didnt know Jean was a judge on Miss World! The things you learn.

Man I am as happy as all of you! I never thought I would see a clip of the Supremes and the Four Tops live! I happen to be one of the Motown fans who loves the albums they did. Now if we could find one of River Deep Mountain High!!!! Its great to hear them live and Miss Wilson whipping her hair back and forth! Mary Brewster I was thinking the same thing. It is nostalgic to see this clip because I KNOW it reminds us fans of buying that album and wishing that they would have more hits other than River Deep. Gosh if I ever find anything else like this I will come running to Soulful Detroit and put it here we as a group appreciate rare finds like this. Hey Marv I wish I could find a live clip of Mary saying "I gotta be insane to keep up with your personality change....LOL Westgrand I didnt know Jean was a judge on Miss World! The things you learn.
    Stephanie, I'm telling you. I'd give pristine copies of "TCB" and "GIT" for a copy of the Tops and Supremes singing River Deep Mountain High along with this clip here in color........

I've never seen Jean Terrell looking happier on stage. I love the way Duke nudges her to get her attention. LOL!

Motown missed the mark with this pairing. When I heard River Deep on the radio the ONE thing that made it a hit was not only the excellent production it was the gel and the glue of the background with Jean and Levi. If you listen closely at the end you can hear Mary and Cindy ..river deep moutain high!!!!!!! Also you can hear the Tops and everyone. Those albums had lead singers but it had a group sound! Even Im Gonna Make you Love me had a group sound to it. You could hear everyone and its irresistable.

Ahh the good old days. Mary loved the call and chant. Even with this pairing the songs on the albums like Melodie you could hear Cindy and her soprano. One of the reasons I liked the Four Tops when they left Motown was ALL of the guys [[for example Aint No Woman) you got to hear how well they could really sing. You can tell that all of the Tops and Supremes were having a good time.

Oh when I mentioned Im Gonna make you Love me I mean the Diana Ross and the Supremes and the Temptations. Also Why Must We Fall in Love with that grouping had a group sound. The 70s Supremes with Jean and the Four Tops showcased everyone!

Motown missed the mark with this pairing. When I heard River Deep on the radio the ONE thing that made it a hit was not only the excellent production it was the gel and the glue of the background with Jean and Levi. If you listen closely at the end you can hear Mary and Cindy ..river deep moutain high!!!!!!! Also you can hear the Tops and everyone. Those albums had lead singers but it had a group sound! Even Im Gonna Make you Love me had a group sound to it. You could hear everyone and its irresistable.

Ahh the good old days. Mary loved the call and chant. Even with this pairing the songs on the albums like Melodie you could hear Cindy and her soprano. One of the reasons I liked the Four Tops when they left Motown was ALL of the guys [[for example Aint No Woman) you got to hear how well they could really sing. You can tell that all of the Tops and Supremes were having a good time.
    "Melodie" is one of my favorite Motown Records period! I remember the album with "River Deep Mountain High" being one of the ones around the house at Christmas that year. They sure did miss the boat , you had the ultimate group pairing with these two~!

A masterpiece in my opinion! Oh good ole days.........

Marv have you noticed this CD has a great sound to it! I mean I had not heard a CD sound this good other than the Fifth Dimension Greatest Hits. Its pristeen. I think I will listen to this tonight. A friend of mine from Chicago stayed with me for a week and he LOVED this CD and kept asking me to play it over and over.

Marv have you noticed this CD has a great sound to it! I mean I had not heard a CD sound this good other than the Fifth Dimension Greatest Hits. Its pristeen. I think I will listen to this tonight. A friend of mine from Chicago stayed with me for a week and he LOVED this CD and kept asking me to play it over and over.
    It has an EXCELLENT sound quality to it and I applaud the folks that put this one together. How did you like their remix of "River Deep, Mountain High" on it?

Here it is!

Listening to all this now is giving a whole new appreciation for Motown and what they were able to produce.....whew!!!!! LOL!

Hey Steph, it looks like we are not the only ones to appreciate the great music of the Supremes & Four Tops combination. Check these college kids out:

Holy Motown Batman! This made my day thanks Marv. Man they did it justice too no weird interpretation.

Holy Motown Batman! This made my day thanks Marv. Man they did it justice too no weird interpretation.
    They were actually great! I felt good knowing that the music I've grew up loving is being appreciated by kids that weren't even born at the time it was popular.

Levi was simply masterful [[just listen to how he opens this song!) and Jean.......what can you say about her? They all were awesome. Listen to Mary, Cindy, Obie, Duke and Lawrence harmonize like the experts they were at it! They all deserve a lot more credit than they were given back in the day for producing such heavenly sounds.........

Oh Marv forgot to answer your question about the remix. Its awesome and as always the voices come through loud and clear. I know Spector did this with Tina Turner but the Supremes and the Four Tops is the definitive version and the one people are the most familiar with.

Even when they sang a "rowdy" song like Shorty Long's "Function at the Junction" they were in harmony! LOL!!!!

One more gem......"IF" I love how they let Mary Wilson take them home towards the ending.....

I saw this about 3 days ago,on another site,i too never thought i'd see a live video,of The Supremes and The Four Tops,singing together live,i'm happy Stephanie was able to post this,we Supreme fans love it.

supremester Guest
    THIS is an amazing find, Miss Stephanie - thank you - keep searching, Girl!!!!

I used You Gotta Have Love In Your Heart on a playlist for a road trip this past summer. [[I only used 1 song per artist but I also used the Supremes doing It's In His Kiss [[The Shoop Shoop Song).) My friend, who did the driving bopped along with the Magnificent 7 and said afterwards, "I've never heard that song before. It's a great song!" I love introducing people to the music I grew up with. Most of the Motown music still sound fresh and exciting.

On another note, one of my favorite Magnificent 7 recordings is Don't Let Me Lose This Dream from Dynamite. I know that was a "throw away" album but I loved it anyway.

thommg I liked that one too I love the way the girls sing the word Dream!

I've been saying for years that there has to be tons of video footage of Motown Artists from foreign television out there........somewhere. I also believe there is still a lot of footage from local television appearances they made around the country. I just hope more of it surfaces soon.

Can you post the original to You Tube so a broader audience can view this? What a wonderful performance they gave. Truly wonderful.

Was just thinking if an alternative version of "You Gotta Have Love In Your Heart" was ever released.....as Levi opens the song on the clip here but, on the usual recording, it's Jean....

This really is a great find. Thank you, Stephanie. When we did the remix a few years ago we were hoping to find some additional vocals by Levi but what you hear is everything that is there. Jean is great on this track [[as she always was). This truly was a lost hit. Billboard reviewed it as a top 20 pick. When I worked with the 4 Tops on the Motown Revue, I told Levi how much I loved this song. He raised his hand and said, "Don't even talk to me about 'You Gotta Have Love In Your Heart'." Levi was the friendliest man in the world but something obviously bothered him about this song. I assumed that he was disappointed that it wasn't bigger but I wish I had pushed him a little more on the subject. I'll always wonder!

Perhaps the song was thought to be just a little too similar in feel, concept, and certainly its title to Jackie DeShannnon's PUT A LITTLE LOVE IN YOUR HEART just a couple of years earlier. The spiritual bent to YOU GOTTA may have also worked against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Perhaps the song was thought to be just a little too similar in feel, concept, and certainly its title to Jackie DeShannnon's PUT A LITTLE LOVE IN YOUR HEART just a couple of years earlier. The spiritual bent to YOU GOTTA may have also worked against it.
    "Gospel Rock" was very popular on Top 40 radio in the early 70's, so I don't believe that was it. Looking at the clip, I tend to believe that the producers had Jean's voice in mind and only her voice as lead when they cut the track. Levi seems to have fit himself into it.
    Even the key sounds like it is for Jean.

George - this could be completely just rumor. but somewhere, someone said that You Gotta Have Love was originally intended as a Sup song. but then they added the Tops. any insight?

i like the song a lot, especially the extended mix you guys did. but to me the track just doesn't have the excitement of River or even Melody. it's a bit corny, IMO. sort of falls into the sing-song category like Everybody's Got the Right. maybe just a bit too "bouncy", as i've described some other Sup songs like In and Out and Love Is Here that aren't my favs. of course this is just my opinion on it. i LOVE jean's extended vocals and think they definitely should have included those to spice it up a bit more.