[REMOVE ADS]

Lulu Guest

Rick James' Complete Motown Albums Coming To iTunes

Sorry gang, no CDs but this is big news!

http://theseconddisc.com/2014/07/09/...ally-reissued/

RossHolloway Guest
    Amazon has the digital box set listed for $45.49! Think I'll download that tonight when I get home. PLUS the unreleased Mary Jane Girls album will finally get released!!!

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Amazon has the digital box set listed for $45.49! Think I'll download that tonight when I get home. PLUS the unreleased Mary Jane Girls album will finally get released!!!
    YES! It's great news!

Great news download's only are going to save me a lot of money as I won't be buying them.

This can only mean that we will see hi-rez versions on HDTracks soon! That would make me very happy, as I already have the 24-bit/96k version of "Street Songs".

Would it be nice to see these on CD? Sure! But, Universal Music probably won't sell enough CDs to justify it.

Quote Originally Posted by mr soul View Post
    Great news download's only are going to save me a lot of money as I won't be buying them.

That's one way of looking at it!

Lulu Guest
    Gang, as we discussed ad nauseum during the Funny Girl debate, while I'm sure Universal respects everyone's opinion, keep in mind that if these releases do not sell, there is virtually no incentive for them to release them on CD. These "boycotts" just as the cause may be, only deter sales for these releases and the executives will have more fuel to bury the tapes and the releases in the vault forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    Gang, as we discussed ad nauseum during the Funny Girl debate, while I'm sure Universal respects everyone's opinion, keep in mind that if these releases do not sell, there is virtually no incentive for them to release them on CD. These "boycotts" just as the cause may be, only deter sales for these releases and the executives will have more fuel to bury the tapes and the releases in the vault forever.
    I see it from another angle. If the digital releases sell well, Universal may take it to mean that the demand has been met and there would be an insignificant number of fans remaining who would buy a physical release. Also, though tapes may be buried in the vault, I don't think we can assume that it will be forever.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    I see it from another angle. If the digital releases sell well, Universal may take it to mean that the demand has been met and there would be an insignificant number of fans remaining who would buy a physical release. Also, though tapes may be buried in the vault, I don't think we can assume that it will be forever.
    I see that too. I wonder what Andy or George has to say at this juncture though. I personally have nothing against the digital releases but I know many on here feel otherwise. For me, someone like Rick James is an artist I enjoy but not along the same lines as Billie Holiday or Diana Ross so I am comfortable buying the music digitally although Funny Girl was a bit of an anomaly as I don't think we'll ever see it on CD unless Universal Japan goes that route [[but will it have the bonus tracks?). The only one that's been a head scratcher for me was the Stevie Wonder set released only to iTunes. I think it would have made a beautiful physical product. The Tammi Terrell set was a nice surprise as were the wave of Teena Marie releases but I wonder if, with other artists like Brenda Holloway, Kim Weston or Jimmy Ruffin if we'll have to end up going the digital route as we did recently with Tata Vega. Again, I'll be curious to see if Andy or George weighs in here on the Rick discussion.
    Last edited by Lulu; 07-09-2014 at 11:33 PM.

Both Carole and Lulu have good arguments. We just don't know where Motown's head is at the moment.

Rick James' catalog is much more important to me than any Supremes or Ross music, and the complete remastering of his catalog has been long overdue.

As long as Motown provides hi-rez version of these remasters, I will be happy. I have no problem with downloads as long as there is a sound quality benefit.

This goes along nicely with the release of his [[auto)biography...personally I am the most excited for unreleased MJG material, so underrated and underappreciated!

It's the unreleased MJG album which interests me most as well.

RossHolloway Guest
    Same here, the unreleased MJG's album has been talked about for years now. I would imagine that there were unreleased songs from their first two albums as well. I've always thought that Jojo, the lead singer, has a very underrated voice.

The Rick James albums "Come Get It", "Throwin' Down", and onward have been badly in need of a remaster and a reissue. The excellent CD of "Bustin' Out Of L7" has been OOP for many years. It's about time he got his proper due.

This download is also available in cd-quality audio [[16 bits, 44.1 kHz):

http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/the.../0060253791737

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    This download is also available in cd-quality audio [[16 bits, 44.1 kHz):

http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/the.../0060253791737
    Unfortunately, it's not available here in the U.S. unless one wants to jump through a bunch of technical hoops to get them.

Why no one in the U.S. will sell 16-bit/44.1k is beyond me. Rhino was the last one to do so, and now all they offer is vinyl or streaming.

All in 16-bit/44.1 kHz audio:

Wonderful
    http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/wonderful-rick-james/0603497899739

Kickin'
    http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/kickin-rick-james/0603497899722

The Great White Cane [[Is anyone here familiar with this album? Is it good?)
    http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/the.../0060253793738

and The Stone City Band releases
    http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/ric.../0060253793727
    http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/the.../0060253793728
    http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/mee.../0060253793720

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Why no one in the U.S. will sell 16-bit/44.1k is beyond me. Rhino was the last one to do so, and now all they offer is vinyl or streaming.
    Qobuz started a streaming service with audio in cd quality or high resolution. In recent months they've been adding a lot of albums in 16-bit/44.1 kHz audio, I suppose they need to offer a large number of titles to get people to sign up for their streaming. Searching under "Motown", I see 13 new titles added today [[9 Smokey Robinson solo albums, all of which have appeared on cd, plus "The Great White Cane" and the 3 Stone City Band titles linked above).
    Last edited by calvin; 07-14-2014 at 11:02 AM.

Spotify [[free on the PC for most countries) has the complete digital box set and The Great White Cane available for streaming. Qobuz seems to have a much bigger selection though, I'll keep checking to see if Spotify catches up.

Again: Quboz is not available in the U.S..

Qobuz started a streaming service with audio in cd quality or high resolution. In recent months they've been adding a lot of albums in 16-bit/44.1 kHz audio, I suppose they need to offer a large number of titles to get people to sign up for their streaming. Searching under "Motown", I see 13 new titles added today [[9 Smokey Robinson solo albums, all of which have appeared on cd, plus "The Great White Cane" and the 3 Stone City Band titles linked above).
    Again, Quboz is not available in the U.S., and i'm not interested in streaming. I want to own the music so I can play it whenever and however I want.

Again: Quboz is not available in the U.S..
    There may be people in this forum from the UK or other European countries who have interest in cd-quality downloads and can buy from Qobuz. My apologies if the links don't work for people outside Europe, I was only just told about this.

Again, Quboz is not available in the U.S., and i'm not interested in streaming. I want to own the music so I can play it whenever and however I want.
    So do I. My point was only that this is apparently the reason why their catalogue of titles for downloading in cd-quality audio is growing so rapidly. If more companies offer streaming in 16-bit/44.1 kHz, it's possible that more downloads will also become available in this format, as is happening now with Qobuz.
    Last edited by calvin; 07-14-2014 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marymary View Post
    Spotify [[free on the PC for most countries) has the complete digital box set and The Great White Cane available for streaming. Qobuz seems to have a much bigger selection though, I'll keep checking to see if Spotify catches up.
    Thanks marymary, I'll give "The Great White Cane" a listen on Spotify to decide if I want to buy the download.

There may be people in this forum from the UK or other European countries who have interest in cd-quality downloads and can buy from Qobuz. My apologies if the links don't work for people outside Europe, I was only just told about this.
    Of course half our membership is in Europe. But, your post sounded like you ignored what I was saying. That's all.

So do I. My point was only that this is apparently the reason why their catalogue of titles for downloading in cd-quality audio is growing so rapidly. If more companies offer streaming in 16-bit/44.1 kHz, it's possible that more downloads will also become available in this format, as is happening now with Qobuz.
    I highly doubt it. Why? Streaming reduces the chance of people illegally downloading music, and the companies can absolutely control the content. You may stream in lossless, but that doesn't mean the end-listener will hear it.
    Last edited by soulster; 07-14-2014 at 11:24 PM.

FYI, not sure if it was just added or I missed it the first time, but Kickin, Wonderful, all the Stone City Band albums, Rick James Presents Bobby M and Val Young - Seduction have been added to Spotify.

Quote Originally Posted by marymary View Post
    FYI, not sure if it was just added or I missed it the first time, but Kickin, Wonderful, all the Stone City Band albums, Rick James Presents Bobby M and Val Young - Seduction have been added to Spotify.
    They are also on 7-digital.

@soulster
    A couple of years back, Qobuz offered a limited selection of titles in high resolution, perhaps something like HD Tracks. After going into streaming, they began adding many titles in 16-bit/44.1 kHz audio, and it seems the music companies are also allowing them to sell what they stream. If not for their streaming service, I doubt that they would offer most of these lossless downloads. That's all I'm saying. I don't subscribe to their streaming service and I have no plans to do so, although I'm not knocking it either - it could be a good choice for some.

I'll continue to announce Motown download releases that might be interesting to members of this forum. I'm sorry that you're not able to purchase them. If this [[cd-quality streaming & lossless downloads) works for Qobuz, as I hope it does, perhaps some US company will try the same. Or maybe they won't, I don't know.
    Last edited by calvin; 07-15-2014 at 02:32 AM.

Any news on when the unreleased Mary Jane Girls album will be released as "this summer" is almost over?

Summer of 2014 passed...summer of 2015 passed...still no Mary Jane Girls album!

I googled around and found a press release from 2014 about all the Rick James albums which included a reference to the MJG album coming out that summer, it had contact info in the Universal publicity dept so I emailed them to inquire. If they actually respond I will provide an update!

@soulster
    A couple of years back, Qobuz offered a limited selection of titles in high resolution, perhaps something like HD Tracks. After going into streaming, they began adding many titles in 16-bit/44.1 kHz audio, and it seems the music companies are also allowing them to sell what they stream. If not for their streaming service, I doubt that they would offer most of these lossless downloads. That's all I'm saying. I don't subscribe to their streaming service and I have no plans to do so, although I'm not knocking it either - it could be a good choice for some.

I'll continue to announce Motown download releases that might be interesting to members of this forum. I'm sorry that you're not able to purchase them. If this [[cd-quality streaming & lossless downloads) works for Qobuz, as I hope it does, perhaps some US company will try the same. Or maybe they won't, I don't know.
    It has been over a year since this post, and the Rick James Motown catalog has been up for download in the U.S. for quite some time now. I wound up downloading the lossless versions from 7-digital and Pono, and even the 16-bit/44.1 versions sound great! "Come Get It", in particular, sounds fantastic.

So after years of looking I stumbled upon this placeholder page on Spotify for the new MJG album, I was excited for a moment before I realized that none of the links [[except for Walk Like A Man) were playable.

Name:  mjg.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  11.2 KB

So it seems that despite mum being the word from Universal about this album after the initial announcement, it seems they did do the work to get this ready for release. Why they didn't pull the trigger I have no clue.

Luckily after doing a bit more googling someone on Prince.org found a youtube playlist with all the songs from the new album! I would obviously prefer a version on Spotify or something I could add to my library but beggars can't be choosers. I haven't been to this forum in a while so idk if this is old news, however I know I wasn't the only one interested in hearing this album so I hope I can spread the word to whoever is interested.