[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross to Receive Prestigous Jazz Award in Montreal

Diana Ross is due to appear at the Montreal International Jazz Festival with her daughter Rhonda opening up for her on July 3rd [[sold out) and July 4th. I shall never forget the thrill of seeing The Supremes in Montreal at Expo '67.

Name:  P1120945.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  34.4 KB

2014 ELLA FITZGERALD AWARD: DIANA ROSS

Diana Ross is the 16th recipient of the Ella Fitzgerald Award, established in 1999 for our 20th anniversary and conferred in recognition of the versatility, improvisational originality and quality of repertoire of a singer renowned on the international scene. This showbiz icon boasts a career that is a musical odyssey stretching over 50 years, including Motown classics Where Did Our Love Go,Love Child and I Hear a Symphony, dance smashes Love Hangover, Upside Down and Touch Me in the Morning, and jazz in Lady Sings the Blues. Add in 100 million albums sold, eighteen #1 hits, 8 American Music Awards and a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award… it’s impossible to imagine a more gold-plated CV! In her first visit to the Festival, the famed singer arrives here as part of her In the Name of Love tour, accompanied by a full 15-piece orchestra.

Diana Ross, In the Name of Love Tour. Opening act: Rhonda Ross.. July 3 and 4 at 7:30 p.m., Salle Wilfrid-Pelletier, Place des Arts [[Événements spéciaux TD series).In accepting the prize, Diana Ross will be following previous Ella Fitzgerald prizewinners Holly Cole [[2013), Liza Minnelli [[2012), Sade [[2011), The Manhattan Transfer [[2010), John Pizzarelli [[2009), Aretha Franklin [[2008), Harry Connick, Jr., [[2007), Etta James [[2006), Al Jarreau [[2005) Tony Bennett [[2004), Bobby McFerrin [[2003), Dianne Reeves [[2002), Diana Krall [[2001), Dee Dee Bridgewater [[2000) and Diane Schuur [[1999).

This is too cool

I was there in 1967, august 21st., 22nd., 23rd., and i'll be there July 3rd. and 4th.

Can't wait, feel like in 1967 again.

By the way still got my ticket stub from august 23rd.1967, first row, price tag... $5.50.
    Last edited by johnbell; 06-27-2014 at 08:26 PM.

Johnbell, I wish I could join you in Montreal to enjoy Diana's magic. However, as a thank you to family members who put up with me for a month while I was in Ottawa, I purchased tickets for them to enjoy Diana's second evening performance.

It would be my guess that the Ella Fitzgerald Award would be presented to Diana after her second evening performance. Since Diana is performing over two nights, she and her band will hopefully be relaxed enough to work in a special jazz set in light of the Jazz Festival and the award she will receive.

Hopefully you will be able to give us a full report. Enjoy the performances!
    Last edited by Mark Desjardines; 06-27-2014 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    Johnbell, I wish I could join you in Montreal to enjoy Diana's magic. However, as a thank you to family members who put up with me for a month while I was in Ottawa, I purchased tickets for them to enjoy Diana's second evening performance.

It would be my guess that the Ella Fitzgerald Award would be presented to Diana after her second evening performance. Since she performing over two nights, she and her band will hopefully be relaxed enough to work in jazz set in light of the Jazz Festival and the award she will receive.

Hopefully you will be able to give us a full report. Enjoy the performances!
    I Think the Ella Fizgerald Award will be present on the 1st night, cause that award was announce before the second show was announce, cos of Sold Out of the 1st.

Hey Mark, have sent you messages before about Eric Pressman, presisent of The Supremes ''Fan Club''

Johnbell, speaking of Eric I had supper with him, his wife and sister,twice while I was in Toronto. He no longer owns Phantasmagoria Record Store of course, but is still very much into music, turning me on to the latest Sharon Jones CD.

LadyLola Guest
    That is just wonderful! ALL members of this group should celebrate this for Miss Ross! Can I get an amen?

Lulu Guest
    Oh for heaven's sake...what a delightful and special honor. The First Lady of Motown surely is finally being treated like the Fairy Godmother we've all known her to be for the last 5 decades!

Amen!!!!!!!!!!

Fabulous and well deserved..this is the year of ROSS!!

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    Fabulous and well deserved..this is the year of ROSS!!
    AMEN! There really ain't any mountain high enough, is there???

Congrats to Queen Diana, "The Boss Ross"! What a legend and star she is.

Very deserving