[REMOVE ADS]

Motown waltz tempo songs

As Roger mentions in a Hearts Of Stone thread, motown waltz records were few in number. However, those that were issued seem to have a very strong appeal. I would be very interested to see what forum members can track down in the way of motown waltz tempo recordings.

Here are some to start:

Hearts Of Stone

David Ruffin My Love Is Getting Stronger

ISLEY BROTHERS ONE TOO MANY HEARTACHES

BOBBY TAYLOR ONE TOO MANY HEARTACHES

TEMPTATIONS TWO SIDES TO LOVE

FOUR TOPS YESTERDAY DREAMS

MARVIN GAYE NOW THAT YOU'VE WON ME....not sure if this contains enough waltz, but people can definitely slow waltz to it.

To me, "Ooo Baby Baby" will always be the classic Motown 3/4 time song. Others may prefer Brenda's "Every Little Bit Hurts" or the follow-up, "I'll Always Love You". Then there's Martha's "Love [[Makes Me Do Foolish Things)", and "Forever", recorded by the Marvelettes and Marvin, and Kim's "Just Loving You" ...

I recall John Lennon saying somewhere that it was his ambition to write a definitive 3/4 song, but the best he'd come up with was "Baby's In Black", which [[by implication) he didn't think much of.

I reckon Motown came up with quite a few winners in this category!

Keith

Technically, "My Whole World Ended" is in 6/8 time. Which is basically a fast waltz anyway.

Hi Ralph!

To be honest, my technical knowledge of music tempos is pretty weak, I have difficulty telling a waltz from a foxtrot I'll skype you early next week, love to catch up.

Cheers

Here's one that was definitely a "Waltz", Diana Ross' "Reach Out and Touch Somebody's Hand"

It will be good to see you, Mike.

Sorry Marv. 6/8.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Sorry Marv. 6/8.
    Ralph, really? Back to the drawing board......

Actually Mikew-uk, when I made that comment on the Hearts of Stone thread I had a couple of Non-Motown tunes in mind ... however here is another Motown Waltz that I'm sure would have gone down a storm in 19th Century Vienna ....

Roger

Sorry Roger....6/8 once again. In reality there probably hasn't been a hit record that was a waltz since Patti Page's "Tennessee Waltz" back in the early 50s.

Tell that to Engelbert Humperdinck and Johnny Dankworth.

Ralph

Can you explain what 3/4 or 6/8 means please. I'm an accountant so you can safely assume I have had no musical training whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    David Ruffin My Love Is Getting Stronger

I thought this was the best track on the album. A wonderful Johnny Bristol production co-written with Marv Johnson.

I'd love to hear a version on the Originals.

John,
    Technically, 3/4 time means, three beats to a measure, the quarter note gets one count. 6/8 means six beats to a measure, the eighth note gets one count.

I realize when listening to a song that this can be confusing. Listen to the first down beat[[count one) and count in time to the music...ONE two three four five six...notice you don't get another down beat until count one comes around. With a waltz, count again. Notice the down beat coming every three beats...One two three One two three....etc etc...Is this clear?

Hey John, I'm not an accountant..I think I need your skills more than you need mine.

Great example of a slow tempo 6/8 Robb. Thanks.

As a point of interest: Songwriters like writing in 6/8 time. It feels good and is friendly to lyrics. I've done a few myself.

Mike,
    The Marvin Gaye song is in 4/4.

I can imagine folks waltzing to "Three Times A Lady" from The Commodores but I suspect it's not a waltz.

I've definitely waltzed [[with proper waltz steps!) to "Reach Out And Touch [[Somebody's Hand)", so that's good enough for me. A drinking buddy of mine who's a music teacher recently tried to explain 6/8 time to me, but I still don't get it. I read somewhere that Berry Gordy didn't think "Reach Out And Touch" would be a big hit because it was a waltz, so it looks like even he had difficulty understanding the difference.

Those were Diana's words from The Motown Story spoken segment: "Berry didn't want to release Reach Out and Touch because Reach Out and Touch is a waltz and they are not usually the type of songs that really sell"

Well then Ralph, this is an interesting discussion here .. I have to confess that when I listen to "Spinning and Spinning" all I tend to hear is the One-two-three, One-two-three tempo going off in the background [[which I tend to think of as "Waltz tempo").

However I do recall from eons ago, when I briefly studied music, that to be a proper Waltz a song has to be in 3/4 time .. which I understand means the song structure has to be in groups of four bars, each of three beats. When I sit down and analyse "Spinning and Spinning" [[rather than just enjoying it and letting it wash over me like I would normally do) it doesn't fit that pattern at all and the lyrics actually start to repeat after what sounds to me like 16 three-beat bars [[which I suppose is actually after every 8 six-beat bars).

Anyway .. here are the lyrics of the song .... for those [[including Accountants and Lawyers) who may want to work it out for themselves ...

http://artists.letssingit.com/syreet...#axzz35m8AIJ2p

One thing I'm wondering is if there is any chance that we might get to hear "Spinning and Spinning" on one of those Ballroom-Dancing TV shows [[ "Dancing With The Stars"/"Strictly Come Dancing" etc.) and would the contestants be able to properly Waltz to it ...

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Those were Diana's words from The Motown Story spoken segment: "Berry didn't want to release Reach Out and Touch because Reach Out and Touch is a waltz and they are not usually the type of songs that really sell"
    Funny. In MOTOWN THE MUSICAL, Berry wrote that it was his idea to release REACH OUT AND TOUCH, and Diana's character said "A waltz? Are you out of your f**king mind?"

Well, I must confess I am completely out of my depth on all this. The motown examples I gave at the start are it seems not waltzes at all. [[I can't waltz either, so I won't be dancing to them in any event). Nevertheless, if you take the first few examples, they have a kind of skip / swingy flow to them with irregular drum beats and fills...or maybe they don't. How can they be best described? I loved that kind of rhythm / orchestration that motown utilised. It is very captivating.

I am told this is a waltz........

Sorry Mike. 6/8. you guys, Berry might have called songs a waltz and Diana also, and I realize it is rather difficult to pick up on, but these songs are all in 6/8 time which really seems to mimic a waltz time. On the song above, listen to the foot[[bass drum), count in time, starting with one and you will notice the bass drum doesn't return until you reach the one count again.

What, you thought music was a walk in the park?

Ok, can volunteers please post some more examples of Motown 6/8 records for my enlightenment and enjoyment. Over to you!

Ralph: Is this a waltz?

Beautiful song, Robb. In 4/4

Ralph,

A good example of a Motown waltz is the Commodores "Three Times A Lady" .

Yes it is Carol...I originally typed it was in 6/8 time, but when I listen to it in my head it damn well might be a waltz. I'll have to check it out.

And what about Billy Preston & Syreeta's "With You I'm Born Again"?
    In my mind I can picture people waltzing to it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I've definitely waltzed [[with proper waltz steps!) to "Reach Out And Touch [[Somebody's Hand)", so that's good enough for me. A drinking buddy of mine who's a music teacher recently tried to explain 6/8 time to me, but I still don't get it. I read somewhere that Berry Gordy didn't think "Reach Out And Touch" would be a big hit because it was a waltz, so it looks like even he had difficulty understanding the difference.

Berry was proved right about its hit potential. These Things....would surely have been top 10.

But it just goes to show that that the big hits aren't necessarily the most popular.

It was an awesome experience to be part of the audience whenever Diana performed this song during her UK concerts during the 70s and 80s and everyone held hands and joined in.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Berry was proved right about its hit potential. These Things....would surely have been top 10.

But it just goes to show that that the big hits aren't necessarily the most popular.

It was an awesome experience to be part of the audience whenever Diana performed this song during her UK concerts during the 70s and 80s and everyone held hands and joined in.
    I'm pleased to say that I was able to join in that experience.

thomas96 Guest
    So This Is Love

I'm Your Man [[6/8 I believe)

Is this a waltz?

Temptations - Love Woke Me Up This Morning
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t1V7V_A7tE

Marvin & Tammi
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWvzPmljTAs
    Last edited by sunshineonacloudyday; 06-06-2015 at 09:20 PM.

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshineonacloudyday View Post
    Is this a waltz?

Temptations - Love Woke Me Up This Morning
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t1V7V_A7tE

Marvin & Tammi
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWvzPmljTAs
    6/8 I believe. Should've said "Marvin & Valerie!"