[REMOVE ADS]

Lulu Guest

Lionel Richie on Oprah's Master Class: Sun/9PM EST

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    Coming up in a few minutes!

I'm watching it now. It seems that he had the same problems with the Commodores as Diana had with the Supremes.

He did not start the band and he was not the lead singer. But when success arrived, interviewers directed their questions at Lionel asking such questions as how did he start the Commodores. [[He didn't) When he walked into the room , all the cameras pointed to him. And then Lionel says that reviewers started asking "What is a guy like Lionel Ritchie doing in a funk band like the Commodores?

There must have been a lot of drama in the group back then. I wonder if the Commodores fans and Lionel fans acted and act today as the Diana and Supremes fans did and do.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I'm watching it now. It seems that he had the same problems with the Commodores as Diana had with the Supremes.

He did not start the band and he was not the lead singer. But when success arrived, interviewers directed their questions at Lionel asking such questions as how did he start the Commodores. [[He didn't) When he walked into the room , all the cameras pointed to him. And then Lionel says that reviewers started asking "What is a guy like Lionel Ritchie doing in a funk band like the Commodores?

There must have been a lot of drama in the group back then. I wonder if the Commodores fans and Lionel fans acted and act today as the Diana and Supremes fans did and do.
    Doubtful. He was a very successful songwriter which gives band members carte blanche to soar. His going front and center seemed like a non-issue at the time and now. There weren't these silly rumors that he "unfairly" became the lead singer based on "other" things that were propagated on stage and in film and which many continue to believe as canon. If there is resentment or any hard feelings among the fans, it's minimal at best.