[REMOVE ADS]

Black music month: Celebrating top ten soul hits

Hello my soul brothers and sisters! Below is a link to an article I wrote recognizing top ten soul songs in various categories in recognition of the 35th anniversary of Black Music Month.

http://soultrain.com/2014/06/18/cele...ul-songs-time/

Man, there's just too much great Soul music out there to distill it all into neat little lists.

And, if any of my records or CDs ever skip, which none do, i'm not going to play it! That's for sure!

I agree Soulster! I had asked the editor to make a top 20 list for all categories but there was not enough space.

Quote Originally Posted by funkyone71 View Post
    I agree Soulster! I had asked the editor to make a top 20 list for all categories but there was not enough space.
    If I were to sit here and make lists, i'd be here all day and night. The server couldn't hold the post!

I agree and isn't it time we did away with...black month this,black month that,we have been here since 1619 and have helped build this country hell we even got a black president,yes at the time it might have been a tribute but everyday backs make contributions to keep this society going,so we don't need to be singled out with a month,we're doing it everday.

A lot of people have made that very argument over the years, arr. I'm on the fence about this. I see your point, but, on the other hand, I don't know if we are at that point where we can do away with special recognition. If we stop doing Black History month and Black Music month, I worry that all of it will be pushed to the side. Well, it already is, but it will get worse. You can't force everyone to recognize Blacks, and their achievements as Americans, not Black Americans.

And, if we do away with Black recognition, we should do the same for Irish, German, Latino, and gay celebration, too, not to mention country music, which seems to have something every month!

My brother,as long as..motown..stax..chess..curtom..and most of the atlantic cataloge is played nobody will push us to the side at least not musically anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    My brother,as long as..motown..stax..chess..curtom..and most of the atlantic cataloge is played nobody will push us to the side at least not musically anyhow.
    I worry about the stuff made after, say, 1972.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Man, there's just too much great Soul music out there to distill it all into neat little lists.

And, if any of my records or CDs ever skip, which none do, i'm not going to play it! That's for sure!
    I agree although I can't argue much with their lists here. There is just too many sub categories of Soul Music that were also popular and great over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    A lot of people have made that very argument over the years, arr. I'm on the fence about this. I see your point, but, on the other hand, I don't know if we are at that point where we can do away with special recognition. If we stop doing Black History month and Black Music month, I worry that all of it will be pushed to the side. Well, it already is, but it will get worse. You can't force everyone to recognize Blacks, and their achievements as Americans, not Black Americans.

And, if we do away with Black recognition, we should do the same for Irish, German, Latino, and gay celebration, too, not to mention country music, which seems to have something every month!
    There is a truckload of truth in these comments and I have to ask of anyone
    wanting to do away with such things as Black Music Month or Black History
    Month [[ like Morgan Freeman) would you ask all of the other ethnic groups
    to stop recognising their own particular uniqueness? A few years back I know the New York Public Library decided to eliminate the African American Literature sections in the branches that had them with the idea
    that literature is literature so it wasn't necessary to put any focus on any
    ethnic group. Guess what happened? In many of the branches where the
    neighborhood population is largely people of color there are very few
    books by black writers whether newer ones or older classic work. The exception is so called "Urban Lit" which means you can find books like
    Thug Misses, Gangsta Chronicles, Da Baddest B*tch all over the city...
    As for the top ten listings, they're fun to read but like Stephen said I
    could disagree with a lot of them. The Male and Female lists for the most
    part will last but after that I can imagine that in the future some of the group tunes will be played almost nowhere...That's just the way the world
    seems to be headed...