[REMOVE ADS]

Lulu Guest

Diana's "Playful" Encore in Worcester Last Night!

What a lovely ending to a lovely evening...she even takes a few selfies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuIfmzKeqbI#t=96

Thanks! Interesting heads in that audience.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Thanks! Interesting heads in that audience.
    I thought the same thing Rob! It really is a great clip!!

supremester Guest
    Wow Wow Wow..........the Kool-Aid was strong last night. I was going to write what an amazing performance it was, but thought it would just be written off as me loving Miss Ross......UNTIL I read the review. It's not just me. She was off the chart astounding. She hasn't sounded that good since The 80's. Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.telegram.com/article/2014...140619919/1312

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    Wow Wow Wow..........the Kool-Aid was strong last night. I was going to write what an amazing performance it was, but thought it would just be written off as me loving Miss Ross......UNTIL I read the review. It's not just me. She was off the chart astounding. She hasn't sounded that good since The 80's. Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.telegram.com/article/2014...140619919/1312
    I would agree with you. I was at this show and even though the set list was basically the same as when I saw her last year, somehow it seemed even better this time around.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Diana Ross reigns supreme at Hanover Theatre

By Craig S. Semon TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF

WORCESTER _ Long before there were Beyonce and Rihanna, there was Diana Ross, the original dream girl, the original pop diva.

And long after Beyonce and Rihanna are gone, there will still be Diana Ross.

Ross is more than a pop icon. She’s the closest thing pop music has ever had to a goddess.

A Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Kennedy Center Honors inductee, as well as a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award winner, Ross has sold more than 100 million records and recorded 18 No. 1 hits, including 12 with Motown’s most successful act and America’s most successful vocal group, The Supremes.

And 50 years after Ross broke out onto the music scene, we still care. Let’s hear Beyonce and Rihanna say that a half-century after they started.

At a spry 70 years old, Ross reigns supreme for her “In the Name of Love Tour” stop Tuesday night at The Hanover Theatre for the Performing Arts.

Featuring 22 songs, 10 No. 1s and six costume changes, Ross opened her breezy one-hour-and-22-minute set with the appropriately titled “I’m Coming Out” [[her top five hit from her 1980 solo disc, “Diana”), which was followed by the Spiral Staircase cover, “More Today Than Yesterday.”

Wearing a baby blue sequin dress with a matching frilly wrap, Ross radiated elegance and class. Backed up by a piping hot band [[which included a four-piece horn section, three backing vocalists, two percussionists, a guitarist, a bassist and a pianist) that could play anything from classic Motown to modern disco, Ross lit up the room with her million-dollar smile and cheeky charisma.

From the moment she stepped onto the stage in front of the 1,600 in attendance, Ross sparkled. Her slinky evening gowns sparkled. Her stage presence sparkled. And despite her frizzed-out mop that look like it has a mind of its own, Ross still looks great and sounds even greater.

Ross encouraged the crowd to sing along to the evening’s first Supremes song, the 1966 Top 5 hit, “My World Is Empty Without You,” that is, if they knew the words. Most of the crowd did.

Ross rewarded the faithful with a crash course in classic Motown [[as well as a crash course in the great Motown production team of Holland-Dozier-Holland) with a series of Supremes’ No. 1s, including “Where Did Our Love Go,” “Baby Love,” “Stop! In the Name of Love” and “You Can’t Hurry Love.”

While Ross doing traffic-cop hand gestures as the crowd sang along to the rousing chorus to “Stop! In the Name of Love” was certainly an evening highlight, a fiery and ferocious version of “Love Child,” the only non-Holland-Dozier-Holland produced No. 1 Supremes song performed, was the most powerful of the Supremes songs played Tuesday night.

Re-emerging on the stage in a striking red sequin dress with another matching frilly wrap, Ross belted out the R&B nugget “The Boss” and the beautiful, heartbreaking ballad “Touch Me in the Morning”.

Ross got the crowd disco dancing with her 1980 No. 1 solo smash, “Upside Down,” which was followed by another No. 1 solo smash, 1976’s “Love Hangover.” And when you thought Ross couldn’t take you any higher, she did just that with 1995’s No. 1 dance charts chart-topper, “Take Me Higher.” The high-energy dance portion of the evening ended with a lively version of “Ease on Down the Road,” which Ross originally sang with Michael Jackson on the failed movie version of “The Wiz.”

Ross, now wearing an ocean-blue sequin dress with matching frilly wrap, kicked off the sophisticated segment of the evening with a slow-burning version of Dusty Springfield’s “The Look of Love.”

A big hush came over the crowd when Ross sang Billie Holiday’s “Don’t Explain.” Not only can this lady sing the blues, with the help of her accomplished players behind her, the Hanover Theatre was momentarily transformed into an intimate blues club.

Before the evening got too heavy, Ross and company burst into an infectious and playful version of Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers’ “Why Do Fools Fall in Love.”

After sneaking off stage to slip into a stunning gold sequin dress, Ross sang her 1975 No. 1 smash “Theme from Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You’re Going To)” with gut-wrenching heart and conviction.

“Theme from Mahogany” wonderfully segued into Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell’s “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough,” which was the epitome of show-stopping diva-tude [[in a good way). While Ross delivered the song’s spoken interludes with pitch-perfect precision, when she passionately belted the chorus to this timeless classic [[which was also Ross’ first solo chart-topper in 1970) the audience’s collective spirits soared high into the rafters.

Ross ended the main set with one of the greatest disco anthems ever recorded [[and Ross once covered), Gloria Gaynor’s “I Will Survive.”

Wearing a black pants suit with a long flowing white vest, Ross delivered the soul-affirming “Reach Out and Touch [[Somebody’s Hand)” while personalizing the evening by acknowledging some of the more lively fans in the crowd and fumbling to take selfies wth iPads and iPhones from people in the front row.

Success is nothing without someone you love to share it with. And Ross’ performance was a success and the crowd loved it.

Great review, glad she's back with more musicians...seems that on some concerts she doesn't have so much.

Hope I'll get the whole package, It will be My Turn in 2 weeks in Montreal in The Big Concert Hall Salle Wilfrid Pelletier of 3000 seats.