[REMOVE ADS]

RIP Bob Abrahamian

Just received word that noted Chicago WHPK DJ Bob Abrahamian has passed away, no more details are available at this point. Some of you may be familiar with his work :

http://www.sittinginthepark.com/interviews.html
    Last edited by paladin; 06-06-2014 at 04:01 PM.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  21.1 KB
    Yes. This was TERRIBLE, shocking news. I held out hope that it was just a rumour or a prank. But his sister told a few of his friends, So, unfortunately, it is true. He just was at a party 3 days ago, and showed no signs of anything wrong.

Very sad news, indeed. He was a great guy. He found some hard records I was looking for, and I found some for him. We swapped MP3 and CDs. I can't remember going more than a single day in the last 6 years that we didn't communicate by phone, e-mail, PMs, or on a forum thread. I feel like I've lost a good friend.

He was a fountain of knowledge, and did a lot to promote Chicago '60s and '70s Soul Singers, helping them be remembered, and maybe a few got a few gigs again from his hard work. I hope someone who cares about it, continues his website.
    Last edited by robb_k; 06-08-2014 at 02:41 PM.

Long time customer of my ebay soul listings and we chatted via emails so I felt we knew each other and indeed were soul brothers.I just sent him 3 records on Tuesday.I am stunned and saddened.RIP my collector friend. Condolences to his family.

Didnt know Bob very well but was aware of his work....On facebook if he saw i was looking for a label scan he was always happy to supply.it....A few on fb seem.to know what happened to him but are keeping it hush hush for whatever reason....either way..R.I.P Bob....thanks for all the history

Thanks for your hip knowledge. Rest in soul music heaven, Bob.

S.S.

Both here and on Facebook, he was a class act...a guy who knew every rare record, knew pretty much everyone who was anyone on the Chicago soul scene [[and interviewed 'em!), and was one helluva DJ. Guys like him are few and far between, and he will be very sorely missed. RIP, Bob, and thank you for sharing your love of the music...

Best,

Mark

Here's a little more background :
    http://voices.suntimes.com/arts-ente...tural-history/

Bob was a friend who was very knowledgeable and always helpful when we needed a record scan or had a question. We met him at SoulTrip USA in 09. We are deeply saddened by his passing.

I shared Bob's passing with some co-workers who had never heard of him and they all expressed sadness and wondered what will happen to the work that he has done and his record collection.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    I shared Bob's passing with some co-workers who had never heard of him and they all expressed sadness and wondered what will happen to the work that he has done and his record collection.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  21.1 KB
    All the interveiws and radio shows have been downloaded and are planned to continue to be made available to the public by a few kind souls. His 70,000 45s and some thousand LPs might be auctioned off by his family, or, perhaps they might be donated to a foundation that can start a Chicago Soul Music Museum/Library. I hope something like the latter is done. He really did a lot of digging and research, and the collection has a lot of relevance to Chicago history. So, especially as a Chicagoan, and a big Chicago Soul fan [[for me it's right at the top along with Motown) - I'd like to see the collection stay together, and even grow.

I lived in Chicago from late 1959-1972, and I scrounged and hunted for records almost daily, and amassed a pretty darn extensive Chicago Soul collection, with all the common stuff and much of the rarer records. And yet, Bob came up with literally a few hundred Chicago Soul records from those years that I'd never seen in 50 years of searching. Many were from label-owner personal stock when no other copies of the records existed. That collection shouldn't be broken up.

This is a very well written article.....reflects a lot of the strong sentiment expressed by the members here without being maudlin or going over the top. Nicely Done.