[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Scherrie & Susaye - One Night Only - July 5th, Los Angeles

I just [[moments ago!) got my ticket in the mail for Scherrie & Susaye's upcoming concert! I feel very fortunate that I am only a couple of hours away and can attend this very special night. Perhaps the success of this concert may extend this "one night" to many others. I'm really looking forward to seeing these fantastic and supremely talented ladies Live! Live! Live! See you there!

Attachment 8195

Or you can call 213-494-1291 to buy tickets directly.

A VIP pass too. Lucky you.

I'd like to see this show too. Hope it comes a little nearer to Europe..like London!

I hope so too, John! It would be great if the Ladies could take the show on the road.

Not likely alas, the clue is in the title: "One Night Only"

Quote Originally Posted by markdtiller View Post
    Not likely alas, the clue is in the title: "One Night Only"
    Actually, Susaye said on my show recently that they are interested in and looking for other possible dates. So alas? Not necessarily....

Yes, that's right. John encouraged them to come to the East Coast and they said they would look into it. Hopefully, they will find that a DC/Philly/NYC/Boston engagement will be profitable and successful. Personally I hope for DC, but have passion, will travel.

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    Actually, Susaye said on my show recently that they are interested in and looking for other possible dates.
    And Scherrie said she might be singing “Crumbs Off The Table” from The Glass House days! Wow! That single was released late in 1969 as I recall. I think it was one of the first Invictus singles I bought. I remember it wasn’t released on an album [[“Inside The Glass House”) for around two years, in 1971. The following year [[1972) their album “Thanks I Needed That” was released [[a great album that has stood the test of time). That was the year I turned 21 and cuts from the album were being played in the dance clubs. I loved to cut a rug to “Don’t Let It Rain On Me” and especially “Let If Flow”. Happy memories.

Supreme Partners Live This July 5th in L.A.

On July 5th, Scherrie and I will be celebrating the release of our cd "Partners" in Los Angeles. Come party with us and share in the summer fun. We are so excited to bring this show to you, and with a bit of luck and a lot of support, [[and all of the wonderful invitations we are getting) we are going to see many of you around the country, and even the world. So! Please spread the word, and come on out. 2Premes rockin' the summer fun!
    Love to all and big kisses, Susaye
    http://www.facebook.com/events/24508...y_type=regularName:  10407605_552635774847871_1686613439705972645_n.jpg
Views: 1936
Size:  76.2 KB
    Last edited by thelastsupreme; 06-12-2014 at 12:23 AM. Reason: didn't put link in link box

Susaye....I'm so excited for you and Scherrie and your upcoming performance. I only wish I could be there to be part of the audience and to cheer you both on. I'll have to wait until you come to Cape Cod...you ARE coming to Cape Cod? And when you do, you could join me in the studio LIVE instead of merely on the phone? A 2Premes fan's dream come true. Break a leg!! Love.....John!

Best of luck to Susaye & Scherrie, 2 beautiful & talented ladies.

I believe they'll be bringing this to NYC!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    I believe they'll be bringing this to NYC!
    With more dates to be added! It’s really exciting to see the “Partners” CD debut bringing Scherrie & Susaye so much more opportunity and recognition this time around. It seems love and “Partners" really are lovelier the second time around.

2premes in 2 weeks!

Joseph.

Can you take a few photographs and post them here. I dare say that people will be recording parts of it on their phone. If you see any on youtube, can you post them on SDF

Susaye,
    I saw the professional picture taken for this even where Scherrie and you are "looking skyward!" it is excellent. Can you post other poses from that same shoot?

TWOpremes in ONEweek!

http://www.daeida.com/DAEIDA_ISSUU_2014_07.html
    Unfinished Business; Scherrie and Susaye. Check out Daeida Magazine!

OMG !!! Susaye, thank you for posting the link. The pictures of you and Sherrie are great, but more importantly, the extensive interview is extremely interesting and a must read for any fan of the Seventies Supremes. It is a long interview. I gave it a quick read and will go back to read it again. Some highlights of the interview are below, but I encourage all fans of Sherrie, Susaye and the Supremes to read the entire interview in case I got anything wrong

Discussed in the interview is the fact that a Deluxe Partners CD will be released with outakes and unreleased materiel.

UMG is going digital - completely. I don't know if includes new releases from UMG , or just re-issues.

No one has ever approached them to do a Seventies reunion .

RTL is discussed along with the publicized feuds over money. As for another try at a reunion , even if Mary wanted one, Diana probably wouldn't and Cindy probably couldn't.

Mary did not want to leave the group , but Pedro pushed her to go solo. Mary soon asked to come back, but it would have meant dealing with Pedro again and both ladies seemed to have conflicts with him.

After Mary left the group , the remaining Supremes had a meeting with Berry and were to llicense the name and continue with Joyce.

Some of that changed and Berry wanted Syreeta to join them and retire the name and call them the Supergroup. But then Syreeta had a big hit with Billy and that also wasn't to be. The decision to disband the group was Motown's decision, not Mary's or anyone else.

A Sevenities Supremes reunion is probably not possible because Mary seems to have written off that part of the Supreme History. And if I remember correctly, Mary said in a few interviews that she would not do a Seventies reunion unless there was a Sixties Reunion first.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Diana's original idea in 2000 was to have all the Supremes participate in the tour, but there were conflicts and lawsuits etc, which made it difficult - and in the end, impossible.

It looks like this one night only concert will be a huge success. Hopefully, they will give fans on the east coast a chance to see it too.

Good luck to Susaye and Sherrie

"UMG is going digital - completely. I don't know if includes new releases from UMG , or just re-issues."

Does this apply to the expanded editions of BABY IT'S ME and SUPREMES A GO GO?

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Diana's original idea in 2000 was to have all the Supremes participate in the tour, but there were conflicts and lawsuits etc, which made it difficult - and in the end, impossible.
    There were no lawsuits. Just a lot of disrespectful behavior from one of the parties.

Susaye, any chance you all would bring the show to the SoundBoard in Detroit?

I'm very grateful to Daeida Magazine for being so lovely to Scherrie and I. feel I must address this: I did not say that an extended version of Partners has been definitely green-lighted by Universal; only that it was very possible, as the cd is doing so well and that I hoped that would happen. The prospects of what that would entail were discussed. We are so excited by the possibilities, but of course we must wait and see. There are a few things in this article that are more "interpretation" by the interviewers, than things actually said. The fact that we were all "dropped" by Motown. That's not what happened. The thing is, things are said, and the interpretation of them is not always what you said or meant; that's interviewing! I certainly mean no insult to Daeida; they are fantastic!!!! I love what they are doing for us. love from Susaye Greene

Thank you for the clarification, Susaye. A "Partners" Expanded Edition would be fantastic! I hope it happens, too.

Susaye,

Thank you for the quick response and clarification. Information is power! [[smile) We will all watch and wait now that we know the facts!

p.s. I shared with you a time or two that I saw you, Scherrie, and Mary at the "Royal Hawaiian." I wonder if any other fans "go back that far!" :-)
    Last edited by longtimefan; 06-29-2014 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Susaye,

Thank you for the quick response and clarification. Information is power! [[smile) We will all watch and wait now that we know the facts!

p.s. I shared with you a time or two that I saw you and Scherrie at the "Royal Hawaiian." I wonder if any other fans "go back that far!" :-)
    I go back to Bachelor's III in Ft. Lauderdale. What a show!

Hey Marv,
    Did you notice Scherrie said that she felt that Motown was not pushing them and when Let My Heart do the Walking came out Motown called some DJ and read the rest of the article.
    Hmmmm puts to rest those who say Motown promoted them and pushed them. Granted Scherrie said someone told her this but I believe it,

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Hey Marv,
    Did you notice Scherrie said that she felt that Motown was not pushing them and when Let My Heart do the Walking came out Motown called some DJ and read the rest of the article.
    Hmmmm puts to rest those who say Motown promoted them and pushed them. Granted Scherrie said someone told her this but I believe it,
    Oh I know for a fact that Motown did not promote them to the extent that they were capable of. I was very much around when High Energy was released as well as, Mary, Scherrie & Susaye. Those were tremendous lps and Motown did nothing for them! I love Scherrie, she tells the ......stuff! LOL!!!!
    Last edited by marv2; 06-30-2014 at 04:57 PM.

Yes Marv they were promoted by way of High Inergy is The New Supremes

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Yes Marv they were promoted by way of High Inergy is The New Supremes
    Rod, now ain't that something? I mean what a slap in the face and show of non-gratitude to do something like that to the ladies?

TWOpremes in FOURdays!

Name:  HighEnergy.jpg
Views: 1893
Size:  73.1 KB Scherrie and Susaye having High Energy fun!....Love you all.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastsupreme View Post
    Two classy Dames! Still looking fine....................

Quote Originally Posted by thelastsupreme View Post
    What a great photo! Thank you so much for posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Joseph.

Can you take a few photographs and post them here. I dare say that people will be recording parts of it on their phone. If you see any on youtube, can you post them on SDF
    John, I am so technically challenged. I wouldn’t have any idea how to make or post a video. But as you say I’m sure others will. I do have a camera, but I don’t think that would be allowed [[I’ll take it and see). I guess there is now a good possibility you may be seeing Scherrie & Susaye in the UK, as they anticipate possible worldwide performances. I’m really excited with the concert only two days away! I even bought a new pair of studs* for the occasion, they are very sparkly and rather Supreme! Thanks for taking interest in this thread John.

*Earrings, John, earrings.

Dear Scherrie and Susaye,
    Please please please come to the East Coast. You have many adoring fans on this side who would love to see you.
    Thanks!

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Please please please come to the East Coast. You have many adoring fans on this side who would love to see you.
    Thanks!
    I second that. I've seen Diana already...can I please get my fix of my other two favorite Supremes???

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Thanks!
    Of course I don't speak for Scherrie & Susaye, but judging by Susaye's post [[#10 on this thread) it seems very likely.

TWOpremes Tomorrow!

Susaye & Scherrie....wish I could be at your show tomorrow night.....BREAK A LEG!!! Love....John

Yes London wants you, Scherrie & Susaye. Lots of great venues and plenty of Supremes fans. The album was never released in the UK, so give us the show!

If anyone else is driving in from the Valley for the show, let me know, and perhaps we can go together.

Exclusive News from Universal's uDiscover July 4th 2014: Former Supremes Performing Live Together Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene, two of the final line-up of the Supremes, are to perform live together tomorrow night [[Saturday July 5). Thank you Paul Sexton, from London, for the terrific interview. xox from Susaye
    http://www.udiscovermusic.com/exclus...-live-together

Sorry I can't be there in person tonight, but you'll be in my thoughts - hope the evening goes well. You deserve it!

smark21 Guest
    HOpe it's a great show tonight and that it's not just one night only and will come to NYC.

As The Jackson 5 hit song goes,I'll Be There, i wouldn't miss it for the world

So wish I could see 2premes 2nite! But in solidarity, I'm positively blasting "Leaving Me" from my stereo.

This was an incredible show. I thought I'd give a snapshot view of what I experienced.

The seating was excellent. The VIP seats were for tables which took up about half of the room, a ballroom at the Sheraton. The rest of the seats were the General Admission ticket seats and were just your basic rows of chairs, kind of as if you were attending a convention. But the chairs were comfortable [[I was in General Admission) and there really weren't any bad seats. I got there early so had pretty much the best GA seat, just inside the door and on the aisle, with no table blocking my view of the stage.

The sound was spotty at times but good once they got the kinks out of it. Pam Vincent and Joyce Vincent [[from Tony Orlando and Dawn) sang backup to the girls.

Four young ladies from the New Directions Female Color Guard group opened which seemed appropriate as it was the day after the 4th of July, and a singer introduced only as "Mindy" gave a rousing acapella rendition of the Star Spangled Banner.

The lineup had a little something for everyone. There was a very funny comedian, who I thought was named Kevin McReynolds or Kevin Reynolds - I'll have to update this when I find out his correct name. He was extremely funny and kept the audience occupied, especially when he was asked to extend his set due to the next performer's delays in arriving for her set. One of his funniest bits was talking about him being a former cop [[at only 5'4"!) who used to have to deal with the "really big guys" who were 5'6" or 5'7"! His looks and delivery reminded me a little of Flip Wilson. He was hilarious.

There was an opening singer who only sang one song but I couldn't catch her name, and it doesn't appear on the promotional web sites that I've found.

There was another set by a different comedian, but he was more like a sort of magician, not really a standup, as was Kevin earlier.

Charlo Crossley [[introduced only as "Charlo") came on and did a rousing set, mostly of standards, but some unusual ones I hadn't heard before. She closed her set with a beautiful song about the soul which she said she sang "8 times a week" on Broadway. I thought I had read that she had appeared in "The Color Purple" so assumed it was from that show, but a fellow SDF member later identified this as a song from "Hairspray" called "I Know Where I've Been." Overall, hers was an unusual song selection, not your usual "standards" set, and it was refreshing to hear some little known numbers from the golden age of American song. She got a huge standing ovation at the end of her set.

Scherrie and Susaye came on following Charlo's set. During the first number the band was overpowering them but after a sound check requested by the girls, there was better balance. The girls opened with several songs from "Partners" including one which I think was called "Storybook Romance" [[I can't find my album or a track listing at the moment) and another called "In the Night." "Leaving Me Was the Best Thing You've Ever Done" was performed as a duet but had a long monologue in the middle by Scherrie who talked about "guys with attitude" and dispensed advice to the girls in the audience on how to deal with them. During one of the other numbers a pair of Soul Train dancers came out and gave a spirited, sexy and exciting rendition in dance while Susaye sang.

During one number Scherrie gave a brief overview of the Supremes' lineage and history. She mentioned almost all of the former Supremes, including even Betty McGlown, who I think was a Primette but never knew she was an actual Supreme. However, Scherrie neglected to mention Barbara Martin, who actually recorded some of the songs on "Meet the Supremes" as we know from the great set that Hip-O released of this seminal album.

Each girl had a solo spot. Scherrie's consisted of "Another Life From Now" which used as its intro the verse to "Macarthur Park" and was performed in showstopping style. Susaye's was a fantastic reading of "Alfie" which left you kind of asking, "Dionne who?"

After the solo spots, the girls performed just two Supremes songs, both of which came from the "High Energy" album, "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking" and "High Energy," which had less of a discofied arrangement than on the album. That was their closer.

However, Susaye came back and gave a thrilling rendition of a song called "Children of the Ghetto" with her son, a young man I think in his early 20s, who rapped the verse while she sang the background and chorus. I'm not familiar with this song, but it reminded me of something by Gil Scott-Heron perhaps. It was stunning.

A bit of a disappointment that Scherrie didn't come back and join Susaye for an encore.

Each lady had one or two costume changes. The ladies began the concert, and suitably for the "Partners" numbers, dressed in identical black gowns with spangly accents. For "Another Life From Now," Scherrie came out dressed in a bright yellow Kimono, which seemed to suit the spiritual/reincarnation nature of the lyrics. For the final songs consisting of the Supremes numbers, each lady dressed in a brighter and more glamorous gown, Scherrie in one of her trademark bright red dresses and Susaye in a glittery "TCB" type gown.

Following Susaye's turn with her son, Goodwill Ambassador Bryant McGill came out and spoke about world peace and his petition which is promoted through goodwilltreaty.org, also offering copies of his book to everyone in the audience who wanted one. It was a good speech but I think misplaced at the end of the show. I think it might have been better inserted in the middle, perhaps during the solo spots, so the show could have ended on a more exciting note. But his message was sincere and well expressed.

Prior to saying goodbye, the girls introduced several famous members in the audience. Freda Payne was there, looking fantastic. Lamont Dozier, Tata Vega, Vandella Betty Kelly, a gentleman from the Originals [[I couldn't catch his name however), Brenda Russell and others were introduced to generous applause. I can't remember them all.

It was a very special evening which I was proud to be part of. After the show, both girls signed my copy of the "High Energy" album which I let them know I'd owned since the day it came out. Both ladies were gracious and lovely. Both hugged me and thanked me for attending. Susaye even said she remembered that once on this forum I commented that I wondered how Mary and Scherrie shared the lead on "Come Into My Life," one of my favorite Supremes songs, and Susaye herself stepped in to correct me that it was "her and her alone" who shared the lead on that funky George Clinton-esque song! I was thrilled to get my album signed, and I'll cherish it always.

The crowd was dressed to the nines and included many, many friends and well wishers as well as fans and a few from this forum as well. Just for people watching you got your money's worth at this show!

From a critical perspective, you couldn't ask for two more talented ladies. Their voices haven't changed perceptibly from the late 70s Supremes. I suppose it's possible that Susaye and Scherrie can't belt out some of the high notes they used to, but you wouldn't know it from the song selection and vocalizing they both did. Both ladies looked gorgeous. However, even knowing how petite they both are, when I was standing with them I was still amazed by it. I am 6'3" so I'm taller than most people but Susaye especially being so petite made me wonder where all her vocal power comes from! It seems obvious that both ladies have led clean, blessed lives and taken great care of their instruments, their gifts from God, their amazing voices. They sounded fantastic.

I would tweak the sequence a little, but obviously this was the first show and they'd be expecting some changes to be made. As I mentioned above, if the prayer for peace is kept in the show, I would include it during the middle "solo" section when things are quiet. The "Children of the Ghetto" number would be great as a first encore, but I think the show has to end with a Susaye and Scherrie number, perhaps "He's My Man," which I hoped to hear but didn't. Of course, this may be because Susaye didn't sing on the original recording, but that's no matter. Together, they would make this number unstoppable. I think then the show would end on the highest of high notes, as opposed to the quiet way it wound down on this evening.

Overall, this wasn't to be missed. I was so happy to be part of it. Thank you, Scherrie and Susaye, for making this such a wonderful evening! I hope you've all enjoyed my recap of the night. It was unforgettable.
    Last edited by kenneth; 07-07-2014 at 02:08 AM.

Thanks for the review Kenneth.

You're welcome! Thanks for reading it!