[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: RIP Cubie Burke

RIP Cubie Burke

The youngest member of The Burke family has died, according to the R&B music Society. He was 49!

Oh no. Any idea of what happened?

Unhappy Cubie

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    No details have been released as of this writing Marv, when I know you will too, interesting enough some members of his family were not aware when this was first posted. As a life long Chicagoan, I have several friends who are friends of the family, we were all devastated by this loss.

Kdub/Paladin

Kdub, the family did not know first?? Wow. In any case please share whatever you come across it will be very appreciated.

Marv

I am so sorry to hear this please keep us updated on what happened to him.

Being that kdubya confirmed this , I'm inclined to believe this sad news though I still prefer
    to see credible links to any obit. To jboy88, were you refering to the National R&B Music
    Society? Maybe I missed it but I checked their website earlier and saw no mention of Cubie's passing. Anyway, until we get more information I guess all I can say is my condolences to Alohe and the family and Rest In Peace....

Then there is this video tribute to his late brothers posted yesterday by Len Burke:

Cubie's death didn't make the national news or even Internet, because he wasn't that famous. Though he was a dancer, singer, choreographer, he never became a cross-over star nor ever received notoriety. His contributions to The Five Stairsteps was small. He basically was a publicity stunt when he was added to The Five Stairsteps.
    If it wasn't for Ooh Child, the Burke Family would have really became obscure, none of their other songs hit big, though good songs.

It wasn't commonly known by everyone or even the fans, but close friends and family knew, Cubie was gay and he sadly died from AIDs.

For the ones quick to say 'no he wasn't gay.' You can check his Facebook pages, he belonged to a group that had a church for gays. Cubie was very out, open, and proud about his sexuality. It's unfortunate he didn't beat AIDs, he fought the hard battle as long as he could.

Sad to hear this! Too many great young people have perished! Whatever the cause it's very sad!

Quote Originally Posted by justonelook10 View Post
    Cubie's death didn't make the national news or even Internet, because he wasn't that famous. Though he was a dancer, singer, choreographer, he never became a cross-over star nor ever received notoriety. His contributions to The Five Stairsteps was small. He basically was a publicity stunt when he was added to The Five Stairsteps.
    If it wasn't for Ooh Child, the Burke Family would have really became obscure, none of their other songs hit big, though good songs.

It wasn't commonly known by everyone or even the fans, but close friends and family knew, Cubie was gay and he sadly died from AIDs.

For the ones quick to say 'no he wasn't gay.' You can check his Facebook pages, he belonged to a group that had a church for gays. Cubie was very out, open, and proud about his sexuality. It's unfortunate he didn't beat AIDs, he fought the hard battle as long as he could.
    There's a lot of truth in what you say here, in fact some that few have had the nerve to say among fans of this group. Yes, Cubie's initial insertion into the act was a lame effort partnered by both a well meaning and loving father and the company itself. Still, especially
    in television appearances it further endeared their audiences.
    Second, I don't think it's possible to say that The Five Stairsteps would have become obscure
    if not for Ooh Child, because if we could go back and magically close that door in their career
    Chances are another would open. Even still, let's say they never produced a blockbuster hit
    on a par with Ooh Child, with all of their other work I'd wager they'd at least develop a cult
    following as many artists have over the years. Music from artists you'll never find on itunes
    still sought out today.
    Anyway, I didn't know Cubie was gay or that he might have died from AIDS. I never really
    followed his career or later life so I'd never heard his solo work until today. I just know he
    came from one of my favorite musical families in Soul/R&B. And yes, Ooh Child was a hell of a song. Not only one of the most beautiful recordings I've ever heard but also an American songbook standard. That's a pretty good legacy for a crop of young kids out of
    a Chicago neighborhood....

Let's focus on the positive...... Cubie was a great dancer in his own right.

I sent my condolences to the family last week. I have fond memories of little Cubie running around back stage, back in the day.

May he rest peacefully.

S.S.

Angry Im cubie burke daughter!!!!!!!!!!!!! He did not die from aids!!!!he died in his sleep

Quote Originally Posted by justonelook10 View Post
    cubie's death didn't make the national news or even internet, because he wasn't that famous. Though he was a dancer, singer, choreographer, he never became a cross-over star nor ever received notoriety. His contributions to the five stairsteps was small. He basically was a publicity stunt when he was added to the five stairsteps.if it wasn't for ooh child, the burke family would have really became obscure, none of their other songs hit big, though good songs.it wasn't commonly known by everyone or even the fans, but close friends and family knew, cubie was gay and he sadly died from aids.for the ones quick to say 'no he wasn't gay.' you can check his facebook pages, he belonged to a group that had a church for gays. Cubie was very out, open, and proud about his sexuality. It's unfortunate he didn't beat aids, he fought the hard battle as long as he could.
    my father did not die from aids he died in his sleep from natural causes.

MY FATHER HAD A BRAIN INJURY 6years ago. SOME BRAIN TRAMA PATIENTS DONT LIVE LONG BECAUSE YOU CAN'T MONITOR THE BRAIN LIKE YOU SHOULD AT HOME.HE PASSED AT AGE 49 WEDNESDAY MAY 14th 2014. SO FOR THOSE WHO THINK THEY KNOW HOW MY FATHER PASSED YOU ARE LYING AND U HAVEN'T TALKED TO ANY DOCTORS YOU WEREN'T THERE ! STOP SPREADING RUMORS ABOUT MY FATHER AND THE WAY HE DIED. IT'S NOT FAIR TO HIM ME NOR MY FAMILY!!!!!AND MY FATHER HAS ACCOMPLISHED WAY MORE THAN YOU GUYS THINK. LOOK UP HIS AUTOBIOGRAPHY. THANK YOUDeCoda Burke

My dad died in his sleep

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    My father passed away in his sleep last weekHE DID NOT DIE OF AIDS

Quote Originally Posted by Cubiedaughter View Post
    My father passed away in his sleep last weekHE DID NOT DIE OF AIDS
    Thank you Decoda and you have my sincere condolences for the lost of your father.

Marv

Very sorry to hear this,wow cubie..i can still hear the dj's calling the group-the five stairsteps and cubie...r.i.p.

Hi Cubiedaughter; condolences for your loss. Can you please, when you get a chance, come back on the forum and share some stories or insights on the 5 Stairsteps and Cubie? There has not been a lot written on the First Family of Soul. Thanks!