[REMOVE ADS]

The Ojays are USUNG? really??

I know the subject has come up before as to just what is "Unsung" but next week the Ojays are the headliners of the show.

With 10 gold cds [[4 which are Platinum) is that really Unsung? Ok, they didn't reach the level of the stones or beatles but few do-....

Today the Ojay's still headline 1st class venue's...So Is this really "unsung"???

Livingallalone...I think the Ojays is a group thats been lost in time in the collective minds of the general public..Im sure no one in the club I work in would know them if I played them..Granted my audience is 18 -35, but I suspect many people working on UnSung just might fit in that age bracket production -wise...

The Ojays ???? Unsung......absolutely ridiculous. Oh yeah Nomis, If I recall you're down under right ? Betcha those young uns know about The Coors "Love Train", like I know about Fosters and that company doesn't even have a group fronting them ! ROTFLMAO !

I think it comes from the phrase 'to sing one's praises' or in other words to tell ones story. Clearly the Ojays are well known, but is their story? Some know their story, but not as many as say The Beatles or The Stones. So in that sense they are unsung. As in the case of Tammi Terrell, the name is well known but the story wasn't. And unfortunately there are not as many outlets for black artist bios as there for white artist. So in that sense many well known black artist are unsung because their story is not well known. IMO.

...Paladin yeah Im in New Zealand and the audience at the local Gay club has...somewhat "limited" tastes..I breathed a sigh of relief last Thursday when they danced to Pointer Sisters "Im so Excited" anything pre - Beyonce is hit and miss..gonna play Steph Mills "Never Knew Love" this week and cross my fingers it works..Im djing to the Lady Gaga generation and if it aint on their Ipod or been in a tv advertisment they dont know it....

I'm sure they do, good luck my friend. Its ok, part of your job description is to break new sounds...have at it and let us know how it turned out...hers one from me that you can mix anyway you wanna ...lol........

Thanks Paladin I love all the new stuff I just wish they would dig Stephs "Pilot Error" or Cameos "Single Life"..we could get really funky but I gotta be commercial or I cant pay the rent..
    I agree with Sophisticated Soul -many black acts and their story is just not known by a large number of white folks..no one in my school dug Anita Baker or Ruby Turner I was the only one.things have changed now but for say the UK at Ojays chart hit time era -many acts couldnt be booked on Top Of The Pops due to overseas commitments so even if Love Train was played on tOTPs there was more than a fare chance you get some really bad studio dancers strutting their stuff to it and the artist wouldnt be seen by the public exccept for "7 and LP covers..

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    The Ojays ???? Unsung......absolutely ridiculous. Oh yeah Nomis, If I recall you're down under right ? Betcha those young uns know about The Coors "Love Train", like I know about Fosters and that company doesn't even have a group fronting them ! ROTFLMAO !
    Once again, the show's opening says it all. They have never been the subject of a documentary. So in that way, they are unsung.

smark21 Guest
    Not to mention the show has to feature acts with some name recognition to the audience in order to get decent ratings and make some money. For instance Carolyn Crawford would be an excellent subject for Unsung but except for die hard Motown fans, hardly anyone would be interested and would reach for the remote.

Yes I think in the OJays case they wanted to do this more than unsung,there is no way they should be the subject of A unsung episode

I never thought of the O'Jays as "Unsung". They are legends, superstars in my opinion and have been for decades now. Did any of you see them perform at that rally in Washington,D.C. over weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    You stop it Kdub, and you stop it right now! See, now I have to go the bathroom.....! LOL!!!!!!!!!@!

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    Livingallalone...I think the Ojays is a group thats been lost in time in the collective minds of the general public..Im sure no one in the club I work in would know them if I played them..Granted my audience is 18 -35, but I suspect many people working on UnSung just might fit in that age bracket production -wise...
    That is funny because they were just on National Television over the weekend......AGAIN! I caught them performing "Love Train" at the Jon Stewart/Steven Cobert Rally.

Ok, I get it.......always did, ratings are what matters. We've had this conversation before, lets just [[at least in my case) ignore the dam title and enjoy the show. In reality they could put whoever in the hell they wanted on the show to some degree and I would be happy, their production values are good and most of the stories carry a degree of authenticity.

I think that many of the older heads really enjoy the show for obvious reasons, we get to see some of our favorites, and the younger folks get to say dam, did they really dress like that ? While simultaneously pulling their pants up over the crack of their arse's.....lol...

..things are much slower here in Auckland..I could go to the big 3 music shops in the city [[the only ones left)and not find a single Ojays track..this is the land of The Eagles and Fleetwood Mac...!!!

More power to you Nomis, I like the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac, better back in the day than now, but they made some dam good music. Would I be able to find some Talking Heads tracks ??????

...Talking Heads were huge here..the end of the '70s saw a huge vinyl boom here..who else was really big?..err..Peter Frampton sold more than anyone,Neil Youngs "Harvest" was a big seller [[we like summer sounding music,guitars are big..)Led Zep and Doors also big sellers and New Zealanders have always been very fond of George Benson and Bill Withers..

George Benson and Bill Withers, how cool is that ? Seems like a great place to visit if you ask me.....

I say they should make Unsung episodes on true Unsung artists...cough cough

Name:  bsod.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  44.9 KB

Name:  G9PCD00Z.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  67.0 KB

Name:  walter+jackson.JPG
Views: 786
Size:  49.9 KB

Name:  lindaj.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  39.6 KB

Name:  james-carr.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  23.2 KB

...its a great place Paladin..Benson plays here all the time..once in the 70s the head of Warners built a piano room onto his home just for Georges visit...

Linda Jones definably a Unsung that should be made. I really want to hear her story.

Linda Jones is definitely more of an "Unsung" story. The O'Jays can do their own documentary I think lol if people don't know who they are, then, and I'll offend some folks when I say this but, they've failed Music 101. LOL

ROCK & ROLL HALL OF FAME INDUCTEES we're talking about here. Yeah it took a long time for them to get inducted but they're inducted darn it! LOL

Ah I'll watch though to see if their story [[which is said to be quite juicy) would be good, which I know it would.

Unsung? No, they are not. Worthy of a full, complete documentary? Definitely.

Worthy of a box set? Yes, I'm waiting ...

Linda Jones... I would love to hear her story !! I am also looking forward to The O'Jays Episode.

TVONE ran it last night. I actually learned a few things I didn't know. The show was interesting and entertaining. Not bad at all. But, given the show's title a story about Linda Creed would have been more fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    ...Paladin yeah Im in New Zealand and the audience at the local Gay club has...somewhat "limited" tastes..I breathed a sigh of relief last Thursday when they danced to Pointer Sisters "Im so Excited" anything pre - Beyonce is hit and miss..gonna play Steph Mills "Never Knew Love" this week and cross my fingers it works..Im djing to the Lady Gaga generation and if it aint on their Ipod or been in a tv advertisment they dont know it....
    Well... slip in some Donna Summer on em, too!

I agree that the O'Jays aren't unsung per se. I'm worried that TVOne is going to eventually try to turn the series into a modern-day "Behind the Music." They should stick with the lesser-known acts as their bread and butter, but I think fewer people will turn in to see Mikki Howard than the O'Jays. You have to throw a few big names in there to sell ads and eventual DVD boxed sets.

If you didn't get a chance to catch the episode last night, check it out here. The full episode is posted for free.

http://spinningsoul.com/2010/11/unsungojays/

That was a really good show on the O'Jays and thank you Colton for posting the link which allowed me to see it.

Marv

Really good show, I greatly enjoyed it. Then again, I'm an O'Jays fanatic, but I learned some things I didn't know.

Walter and Eddie seem like guys you could sit down and talk to, really neat guys. Great episode, thanks for the link.

I wouldn't say that the Ojays are unsung, but we may have never gotten this type of show done on the guys if TVOne hadn't produce this on them. I say keep up the god work TV One.