[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    it's a dog eat dog world and it ain't no lie..
    and in all honesty, the only reason I paid attention to The Jackson 5 at the beginning was thanks to the 'Diana Ross Presents..' thing... me and a million others, so it obviously worked.. and MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL is a 'jukebox musical', one of the most successful ever..all the details of who was who means nothing to the average person in the audience..they just wanna sing,wanna dance and boo ga loo down Broadway, baybeeeee..

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    and in all honesty, the only reason I paid attention to The Jackson 5 at the beginning was thanks to the 'Diana Ross Presents..' thing... me and a million others, so it obviously worked.. and MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL is a 'jukebox musical', one of the most successful ever..all the details of who was who means nothing to the average person in the audience..they just wanna sing,wanna dance and boo ga loo down Broadway, baybeeeee..
    Yeah, I can't say I would have jumped all over them either without seeing her introduce them on television. It was 45 years ago and business - nowadays record execs would have gladly showcased a lesser-known, earthier artist to do the deed.

As for the musical, I haven't seen it yet but haven't heard anything negative from the MOTOWN folks I keep in touch with - all of them seem pretty happy that it's hit the stage and has been such a success!

I wonder if Diana Ross's kid ever look at anything on line like some of these posts.

And see questions raised about a look on their Mother's face 50 years ago. Or a look on someone else's face that is looking at her.

They probably burst out laughing and laugh forever.

No one warrants that kind of adulation and attention; um, obsession I mean.

And parsing what is said, just like a politician looking for a vote ~ way too obsessive.

What is more appropriate is to remember that virtually every Motown artist ever thanks Berry Gordy profusely when asked and they support every other Motown artist as well.

and in all honesty, the only reason I paid attention to The Jackson 5 at the beginning was thanks to the 'Diana Ross Presents..' thing... me and a million others, so it obviously works.. and MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL is a 'jukebox musical', one of the most successful ever..all the details of who was who means nothing to the average person the audience..they just wanna sing,wanna dance and boo ga loo down Broadway, baybeeeee..
    The only reason we paid attention to the Jackson 5 was because they were GOOD! We loved the song "I Want You Back". Most people hated Diana Ross at the time and could not wait for her to get out of the Supremes, sooooooo.....

Motown, the Musical is a fairytale joke! The average person believes beer is a vegatable so that is not saying much!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I wonder if Diana Ross's kid ever look at anything on line like some of these posts.

And see questions raised about a look on their Mother's face 50 years ago. Or a look on someone else's face that is looking at her.

They probably burst out laughing and laugh forever.

No one warrants that kind of adulation and attention; um, obsession I mean.

And parsing what is said, just like a politician looking for a vote ~ way too obsessive.

What is more appropriate is to remember that virtually every Motown artist ever thanks Berry Gordy profusely when asked and they support every other Motown artist as well.
    They don't have to go back 50 years ago to discover that mom can be a very nasty person. All they have to do is read this article from THREE days ago!

http://www.startribune.com/entertain...tml?page=1&c=y

Now Jobeterob, if you keep bringing her up in every thread that has nothing to do with her, then I have TONS of glorious stories about "Miss Ross".

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    The only reason we paid attention to the Jackson 5 was because they were GOOD! We loved the song "I Want You Back". Most people hated Diana Ross at the time and could not wait for her to get out of the Supremes, sooooooo.....

Motown, the Musical is a fairytale joke! The average person believes beer is a vegatable so that is not saying much!
    Marv, I agree with you on so many points, it's crazy. I heard I Want You Back on the radio and I never loved it. Then I got their first album as a gift, and stored it away for a while before taking a listen to it, and once I finally did, oh man. Mikey's little voice is so amazing on every single one of those tracks. I saw them on specials with Ms Ross, but that was not what drew me in, it was Mikey's voice. I also remember hearing a radio interview with Bobby and he was talking about how he had actually discovered the Jackson 5 and the DJ was tearing him apart about it saying he was lying. I believed him then and it's very clear now what the truth is.

And marv, you are also right about Motown the Musical. It's pure Broadway...fairytale broadway. Like you said, the average person would jump off a bridge if everyone else did it.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    Marv, I agree with you on so many points, it's crazy. I heard I Want You Back on the radio and I never loved it. Then I got their first album as a gift, and stored it away for a while before taking a listen to it, and once I finally did, oh man. Mikey's little voice is so amazing on every single one of those tracks. I saw them on specials with Ms Ross, but that was not what drew me in, it was Mikey's voice. I also remember hearing a radio interview with Bobby and he was talking about how he had actually discovered the Jackson 5 and the DJ was tearing him apart about it saying he was lying. I believed him then and it's very clear now what the truth is.

And marv, you are also right about Motown the Musical. It's pure Broadway...fairytale broadway. Like you said, the average person would jump off a bridge if everyone else did it.
    Thomas, I can remember first seeing them on the Hollywood Palace back in 1969. That appearance had no impact on us. A few months later they appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show and BAM! We all liked them and they knocked us out with "Who's Lovin' You", along with " I Want You Back" that night. The next day they were the talk of the school. Even my mom and dad liked their record. For the next few months following that Ed Sullivan Show, we'd sing "I Want You Back" on the school bus until Betty the bus driver would make us all shut up! LOL!!!!

Thomas, I can remember first seeing them on the Hollywood Palace back in 1969. That appearance had no impact on us. A few months later they appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show and BAM! We all liked them and they knocked us out with "Who's Lovin' You", along with " I Want You Back" that night. The next day they were the talk of the school. Even my mom and dad liked their record. For the next few months following that Ed Sullivan Show, we'd sing "I Want You Back" on the school bus until Betty the bus driver would make us all shut up! LOL!!!!
    hehehehehehehehehehehe. you tell the funniest story marv2. Betty the bus driver is a real cute title for a childrens book.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    hehehehehehehehehehehe. you tell the funniest story marv2. Betty the bus driver is a real cute title for a childrens book.

Roberta
    My school bus driver Betty from back in the 60's was far from "cute" at about 5'5" 200 lbs dark hair and wore a hairnet, black horn rimmed glasses, massive fore arms , foul mouthed and foul tempered, she easily reminded us of a female prison matron!
    Last edited by marv2; 05-08-2014 at 04:37 PM.

My school bus driver Betty from back in the 60's was far from "cute" at about 5'5" 200 lbs dark hair and wore a hairnet, black horn rimmed glasses, massive fore arms , foul mouthed and foul tempered, she easily reminded us of a female prison matron!
    hehehehehehehehehe even funnier. You should write a book about Betty the bus driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    hehehehehehehehehe even funnier. You should write a book about Betty the bus driver.

Screw her! But she might be dead already, hehehehehehehe.......

anyway, back on topic. Take away Bobby Taylor's contribution to the Jackson's early success and we may not have ever had "The Jackson 5" or "Michael Jackson's" music to enjoy all these years.

So I Want You Back didn't immediately hip you to them? LOL

smark21 Guest
    Did Betty the bus driver do Bobby Taylor wrong like Berry and Miss Ross? She sounds tough and mean and I bet she could have taken her bad mood out on Bobby Taylor.

Having Diana introduce them was one of best idea Motown came up with.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    So I Want You Back didn't immediately hip you to them? LOL
    Maybe if Joe had dress them in sequins and wigs he would have paid more attention, hehehehehehehe........Clearly the music is not something that would get his attention. "I Want You Back" was a smash from the first time I heard it!

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Having Diana introduce them was one of best idea Motown came up with.
    I would say pairing Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell up and of course the Motortown Revues in the early 60's were their best ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Did Betty the bus driver do Bobby Taylor wrong like Berry and Miss Ross? She sounds tough and mean and I bet she could have taken her bad mood out on Bobby Taylor.

Luckily we had Mrs. Glover on board as a combination teaching assistant and bus monitor. She could kick Betty's ass if it got that far. LOL! I am certain Betty did not know Bobby Taylor. She did know the guys in Johnny & the Hurricanes [[she bowled with some of them.......that made her a "star") and local tv celeb Johnny Ginger. hehehehehehe........

This is really weird because I seem to remember a some special with Michael Jackson were Bobby Taylor and Gladys Knight were credited for the discovery and Diana Ross saying "Its True", sooooooooooooooooooooooo what is the deal ?

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    This is really weird because I seem to remember a some special with Michael Jackson were Bobby Taylor and Gladys Knight were credited for the discovery and Diana Ross saying "Its True", sooooooooooooooooooooooo what is the deal ?
    It's sexual excitement is his deal. We all get off on different things.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    it's sexual excitement is his deal. We all get off on different things.

the Diana Ross hype PRECEDED the release of the single, and it's that hype that got them booked on Sullivan; many Motown acts had hits and never got near Ed's stage; if not for Diana Ross, the J5 would have been just another r&b group with a few hits... but then , without Diana Ross, Mary Wilson would be working 'that' street corner for spare change..oh wait, I forgot, she's already doing that, isn't she!.hehehehehehehahahahaha etc

thomas96 Guest
    the Diana Ross hype PRECEDED the release of the single, and it's that hype that got them booked on Sullivan; many Motown acts had hits and never got near Ed's stage; if not for Diana Ross, the J5 would have been just another r&b group with a few hits... but then , without Diana Ross, Mary Wilson would be working 'that' street corner for spare change..oh wait, I forgot, she's already doing that, isn't she!.hehehehehehehahahahaha etc
    Sorry but I can't even come close to seeing your point. Without Ms Ross the Jackson 5 would have had the exact same outcome in the end. You may be so in love with her that she's the only reason you like them, but most of the country/world at the time didn't care one bit about her when it came to the Jackson boys. They liked their music and thought the little child up front was cute. If you want to play this whole "if not for..., then..." game, there's a whole lot that can be said about why Ms Ross had any success whatsoever.

Gordy put his weight behind The J5 because he thought the 'introduced by Diana Ross' thing would work in her favor with the next breed of teeny boppers... I was around for all this, were you? If Gordy didn't flex Motown muscle, which he did, The J5 would have been The Spinners !..who didn't become THE SPINNERS until they got off of Motown and signed with Atlantic during this same frame..or do you think that groups like The Spinners, who made great records, would have had the same outcome in the end,regardless?..If you do, I'll have whatever you're drinking.

thomas96 Guest
    Gordy put his weight behind The J5 because he thought the 'introduced by Diana Ross' thing would work in her favor with the next breed of teeny boppers... I was around for all this, were you? If Gordy didn't flex Motown muscle, which he did, The J5 would have been The Spinners !..who didn't become THE SPINNERS until they got off of Motown and signed with Atlantic during this same frame..or do you think that groups like The Spinners, who made great records, would have had the same outcome in the end,regardless?..If you do, I'll have whatever you're drinking.
    The Jackson 5 had 4 straight #1 hits. If Ms Ross had never even been born, those 4 songs would still be #1 hits. The Jackson 5 were so much more talented in singing and dancing than the Spinners, AND they were way more of a pop group. The Spinners were strictly R&B. The Jackson 5 appealed to EVERYBODY. Old or young. Ms Ross did not contribute to their success whatsoever. And they were so much more successful than her. And not to mention the fact that Motown was pushing the Jackson 5 to DJs harder than any other artist at that time. The Spinners barely got any promotion push from Motown whatsoever. If Motown had tried they could've gotten the Spinners on to Ed Sullivan. Ms Ross had absolutely nothing to do with them getting on Ed Sullivan.

I'm far from being "in love with" Diana Ross and I'm no Supremes partisan [[and also a big Bobby Taylor fan!), but I agree with Jimi here.

Saying most of the country/world didn't care about the backstory and just loved the J5's music, Michael's star quality etc. is probably true, certainly after 1970, but it's kind of missing the point, because [[as others have already said) it's Motown's canny marketing in concocting the Diana story that helped get the J5 the exposure that ever introduced the country/world to them in the first place.

Record buyers may or may not have cared about the Diana link, but it would surely have opened doors when it came to pushing a new act re: radio, TV and press, getting them airplay and TV exposure and column inches they likely wouldn't otherwise have had - after all, however good they were, it's hard for fans to fall in love with a new act if you've never actually seen or heard [[of) them.

The use of Diana's name helped the group gain recognition; that's not to say the story was in any way true, or even morally correct, but simply that the story was effective.

It was unbelievable in the first place for many of us who knew who Diana Ross really was. In her entire 54 year career, has she ever discovered another act? We know she did not discover the Jackson 5. I am asking if she ever found another musical act and brought them to Motown?

In retrospect, everyone is so wise, but if not for Diana Ross visually introducing The J5 on The Hollywood Palace, Ross fans like myself might not have been so inclined to rush out and buy a record from these Osmonds-esque "little brats" [[who I came to love).. it didn't hurt that she was introducing them hot on the heels of the #1 success of "Someday We'll Be Together", insinuating that the 5 were important enough to be standing on the same stage with her.. if Gordy didn't have his boys slaving over the composing of bubble gum records like "ABC" and "The Love You Save", the 'brats' might still be recording for Steel Town or whatever label they were originally on..Read MJ's "Moon Walker" to get his view on the importance of being associated with the "Ross brand" at that moment in time..
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0603140/
    Last edited by Jimi LaLumia; 05-12-2014 at 10:21 AM.

by the end of Oct. after the Hollywood Palace broadcast, "Someday.." debuted at #50 on the Hot 100, the next week #34,then #20, then #11 by Dec. 6th and wound up as the last #1 single of the 1960's.."I Want You Back" followed the debut of "Someday.." a week later, Nov. 15th, entering the Hot 100 at #90,then #67,then #51,and as "Someday.."entered the Top 10, Ross was leaving the Supremes, and her 'discovery' of the J5 was part of her press package, "I Want You Back" took a leap from #51 to "27, and Gordy induced Sullivan into presenting the J5 to the world.. but "I Want You Back" rode the coat tails of "Someday We'll Be Together" and all the Ross leaves The Supremes and discovers these kids hoopla..it's all a matter of public record!...enjoy your day..
    "

The J5 appeared on Sullivan on Dec. 14th 1969 as "I Want You Back" crept from #19 to #17 on the Billboard Hot 100 Dec 20th chart.. the results of the Gordy/Ross [[Ed liked her..A LOT!) induced J5 appearance on the Sullivan show were felt the following week, on the Dec. 27th Billboard Hot 100 , as "I want You Back" jumped from #17 to #8 [[thank you, Ed!), while "Someday We'll Be Together" sat at #1, the last week of the 1960's.. here's the early, 'finding our footing' appearance..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aASwsMOy-pA

thomas96 Guest
    if Gordy didn't have his boys slaving over the composing of bubble gum records like "ABC" and "The Love You Save", the 'brats' might still be recording for Steel Town or whatever label they were originally on..
    You seriously just brought that up? None of those children were even close to as big of brats as Diane was. If Gordy didn't have his boys slaving over the composing of pop records such as "Where Did Our Love Go," "Baby Love," "Come See About Me," "Stop In The Name of Love" etc., Ms. 'brat' Ross might still be living in the projects and her nasal singing wouldn't be appealing to anybody. Not to mention all the shit they did to make the Supremes look and act professional, make them appear beautiful, and promote them like hell. No other Motown act had even half the amount of promotion the Supremes did. If Motown had worked so hard on promoting guys like Shorty Long, Bobby Taylor, Jr Walker they would be as big of stars as anyone else. And why did they decide to do the most promotion on the Supremes? Because they were more talented? Hell no. Because they would sell and appeal guys like you who can't get over some pop records, gowns and lame hairdos. I don't understand your [[or anyone else's) Ross fantasy whatsoever. Just conforming to the 'norm' I suppose.

You seriously just brought that up? None of those children were even close to as big of brats as Diane was. If Gordy didn't have his boys slaving over the composing of pop records such as "Where Did Our Love Go," "Baby Love," "Come See About Me," "Stop In The Name of Love" etc., Ms. 'brat' Ross might still be living in the projects and her nasal singing wouldn't be appealing to anybody. Not to mention all the shit they did to make the Supremes look and act professional, make them appear beautiful, and promote them like hell. No other Motown act had even half the amount of promotion the Supremes did. If Motown had worked so hard on promoting guys like Shorty Long, Bobby Taylor, Jr Walker they would be as big of stars as anyone else. And why did they decide to do the most promotion on the Supremes? Because they were more talented? Hell no. Because they would sell and appeal guys like you who can't get over some pop records, gowns and lame hairdos. I don't understand your [[or anyone else's) Ross fantasy whatsoever. Just conforming to the 'norm' I suppose.
    You left out one critical element that got Ross promoted and that was sleeping with the boss! As the younger generation puts it, she was "thuggin' for tracks" LOL!!

thomas96 Guest
    You left out one critical element that got Ross promoted and that was sleeping with the boss! As the younger generation puts it, she was "thuggin' for tracks" LOL!!
    I left that out to humor the Ross fanatics, LOL.

I left that out to humor the Ross fanatics, LOL.

But Thomas! You must tell the whole story to insure that future generations understand the deal! LOL!

honest man Guest
    The J5 appeared on Sullivan on Dec. 14th 1969 as "I Want You Back" crept from #19 to #17 on the Billboard Hot 100 Dec 20th chart.. the results of the Gordy/Ross [[Ed liked her..A LOT!) induced J5 appearance on the Sullivan show were felt the following week, on the Dec. 27th Billboard Hot 100 , as "I want You Back" jumped from #17 to #8 [[thank you, Ed!), while "Someday We'll Be Together" sat at #1, the last week of the 1960's.. here's the early, 'finding our footing' appearance..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aASwsMOy-pA
    Go Jimi go, you have the clown in knots hehehe

honest man Guest
    Wow the girl had everything,good in the sack by all accounts,Berry was one lucky dude.heheheheh

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Wow the girl had everything,good in the sack by all accounts,Berry was one lucky dude.heheheheh
    She had everything except "T&A"! LOL!!!

honest man Guest
    She had everything except "T&A"! LOL!!!
    More than a handful is a waste ,SHE HAD EVERYTHING Berry was one clever dude,HEEEEEEEE

smark21 Guest
    Berry Gordy and Miss Ross sure loved to sabotage careers and destroy lives. Poor Bobby Taylor. Poor Junior Walker. Almost everyone at Motown was victimized.

yes, Taylor and Junior would have been platinum household names if not for HER!...lol

yes, Taylor and Junior would have been platinum household names if not for HER!...lol
    I don't know why are you so worshipful of Diana Ross, she has not had any hits in over 30 years. Her solo career had a 10 year window of hits and many misses from roughly 1970-80. Sooooooo.........

supremester Guest
    Then why are you a fan of Mary's? She's never had a hit anything. Her solo career, according to YOUR yardstick, had no window at all - only a boarded up door.
    I don't know why are you so worshipful of Diana Ross, she has not had any hits in over 30 years. Her solo career had a 10 year window of hits and many misses from roughly 1970-80. Sooooooo.........

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Berry Gordy and Miss Ross sure loved to sabotage careers and destroy lives. Poor Bobby Taylor. Poor Junior Walker. Almost everyone at Motown was victimized.
    What happened to Junior Walker?

WHO?...lol

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown Queen View Post
    What happened to Junior Walker?
    Smark's just being a sarcastic smartass.

Jimi, they could have easily been on par with James Brown if they had the promotion, and time/hits devoted to them to the degree that the Supremes had. James Brown was bigger [[and so much better) than the Supremes.

Smark's just being a sarcastic smartass.

Jimi, they could have easily been on par with James Brown if they had the promotion, and time/hits devoted to them to the degree that the Supremes had. James Brown was bigger [[and so much better) than the Supremes.

I'm a bit surprised that there has not been a response from Marv in your saying [[and we are all entitled to our opinions) that James Brown was bigger and better than Mary Wilson, Florence Ballard, Cindy Birdsong & Diana Ross, i.e. the Supremes.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    I'm a bit surprised that there has not been a response from Marv in your saying [[and we are all entitled to our opinions) that James Brown was bigger and better than Mary Wilson, Florence Ballard, Cindy Birdsong & Diana Ross, i.e. the Supremes.
    James Brown did not sell more records than The Supremes OR Diana Ross...those are the facts. Is he more of a bad ass artist? Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post

I don't know what you are talking about , but I do know JB was calling her all the time because he had hots for her.......hehehehehehehe!

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    Then why are you a fan of Mary's? She's never had a hit anything. Her solo career, according to YOUR yardstick, had no window at all - only a boarded up door.

Because Mary is better looking and I like her singing more.