[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bobby Taylor and the Jackson five

From my understanding, Bobby Taylor has "felt" jilted by the Jackson, based upon his discovery. IMO, Mr. Taylor was compensated above and beyond for "his" discovery!!! Most of the unreleased material of them are they ones that Mr. Taylor produced!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dvus7 View Post
    From my understanding, Bobby Taylor has "felt" jilted by the Jackson, based upon his discovery. IMO, Mr. Taylor was compensated above and beyond for "his" discovery!!! Most of the unreleased material of them are they ones that Mr. Taylor produced!!!

Oh no, no he hasn't been compensated! It is a tragedy ,abhorration in my opinion. Bobby has never been formally or even informally thanked by any of Jacksons for his contribution in helping them reach fame and fortune!

@ marv...Are u telling me he ws never compensated for producing all those "covers" that he produced??? The Jacksons are not responsible for paying him..Motown is

@ marv...Are u telling me he ws never compensated for producing all those "covers" that he produced??? The Jacksons are not responsible for paying him..Motown is

Nope! I meant that NONE of the Jacksons has even told Bobby thank you or shown any other form of appreciation once they were in California and hitting it big. This is according to Bobby himself.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Nope! I meant that NONE of the Jacksons has even told Bobby thank you or shown any other form of appreciation once they were in California and hitting it big. This is according to Bobby himself.
    That is true. Bobby told Mojo magazine several years back [[probably 2001, 2002-ish) that one of his daughters had worked with Michael on either some video or some recording and said MJ kept staring at her. Finally the woman approached him and asked "do you know who my father is and how you used to babysit me" or something to that effect. It was then that MJ was all like "oh yeah you're Bobby Taylor's daughter, will you tell him thank you for everything?" When Bobby's daughter told him this, he was stunned to say the least that one of the most famous entertainers in pop music had forgot to thank him in person. Then he remembered Berry Gordy's comments when Gordy told him when the Jacksons became famous, they would forget about him. He [[Gordy) was right apparently.

There's a difference between being financially compensated and being personally compensated. He got the money, just not the love back from the Jacksons after all he had done for them. Most of them would thank Gladys Knight [[who didn't get them signed to Motown) but you hardly see anything about Bobby Taylor. I don't think they interviewed him for that MJ documentary that came out a few years ago but they were sure to call up Gladys. I think he was only mentioned a few times, if any, by Michael and Marlon but that was back in 1980 when they were interviewed for the "Triumph" album or something. Bobby himself got the Jacksons [[mainly MJ) signed but whenever the Jacksons thank anyone, they thank the one who discovered them but failed to sign them. That's quite ironically sad.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    That is true. Bobby told Mojo magazine several years back [[probably 2001, 2002-ish) that one of his daughters had worked with Michael on either some video or some recording and said MJ kept staring at her. Finally the woman approached him and asked "do you know who my father is and how you used to babysit me" or something to that effect. It was then that MJ was all like "oh yeah you're Bobby Taylor's daughter, will you tell him thank you for everything?" When Bobby's daughter told him this, he was stunned to say the least that one of the most famous entertainers in pop music had forgot to thank him in person. Then he remembered Berry Gordy's comments when Gordy told him when the Jacksons became famous, they would forget about him. He [[Gordy) was right apparently.
    Midnightman, thank you! That is what I remember hearing Bobby Taylor say in an interview from Hong Kong that was posted here about a year ago.

There's a difference between being financially compensated and being personally compensated. He got the money, just not the love back from the Jacksons after all he had done for them. Most of them would thank Gladys Knight [[who didn't get them signed to Motown) but you hardly see anything about Bobby Taylor. I don't think they interviewed him for that MJ documentary that came out a few years ago but they were sure to call up Gladys. I think he was only mentioned a few times, if any, by Michael and Marlon but that was back in 1980 when they were interviewed for the "Triumph" album or something. Bobby himself got the Jacksons [[mainly MJ) signed but whenever the Jacksons thank anyone, they thank the one who discovered them but failed to sign them. That's quite ironically sad.
    And instead of having Bobby Taylor share in their induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, they had Diana Ross do it!

And instead of having Bobby Taylor share in their induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, they had Diana Ross do it!
    Yup. And if I recall, none of them thank him during the Hall of Fame induction. So he was clearly absent. That's why Bobby's pissed.

Yup. And if I recall, none of them thank him during the Hall of Fame induction. So he was clearly absent. That's why Bobby's pissed.
    Wouldn't it have been just the greatest moment in the Rock Hall's history to have Bobby there to give an emotion speech with the details of how he help them get signed to Motown?

Midnightman, thank you! That is what I remember hearing Bobby Taylor say in an interview from Hong Kong that was posted here about a year ago.
    Yeah I remember that Hong Kong interview. People may think he's bitter but he has his reasons for that. I'd be upset too if I went through pins and needles [[and broken glass) to get a group of talented kids signed to a label that initially wasn't paying them any attention and all I got was a pat on the back for a job well done. It's one thing to get money but if you don't get respect, what's all that money worth?

Wouldn't it have been just the greatest moment in the Rock Hall's history to have Bobby there to give an emotion speech with the details of how he help them get signed to Motown?
    It surely would've helped a bunch. But see, the Jacksons have forgotten their roots. They only remember something when someone reminds them of it. Michael Jackson surely forgot. He even forgot what age he was and the month it was when they had their legendary audition tape from July 22, 1968 [[he recalled in his biography that he thought the audition was December 1968 at Berry's mansion) and this guy was supposedly intelligent but whenever he was in court, when asked a simple question, this dude was all like "I don't remember..." or "I don't recall..." You'd think if this man was as intelligent, he'd remember simple history like a producer who got them signed when people turned them down. He remembered James Brown coming to his house and giving them advice but when Joseph Jackson tried to get James to get his label to hear their audition tape, he said he "had no time for those noisy kids, I got kids of my own, Mr. Jackson, but thanks anyway." So even MJ's biggest influence didn't think to promote them.

Yeah I remember that Hong Kong interview. People may think he's bitter but he has his reasons for that. I'd be upset too if I went through pins and needles [[and broken glass) to get a group of talented kids signed to a label that initially wasn't paying them any attention and all I got was a pat on the back for a job well done. It's one thing to get money but if you don't get respect, what's all that money worth?
    Also to watch someone else get the credit for discovering them in the eyes of the public for years. That myth was even perpetuated in the Jackson 5 cartoon series.

It surely would've helped a bunch. But see, the Jacksons have forgotten their roots. They only remember something when someone reminds them of it. Michael Jackson surely forgot. He even forgot what age he was and the month it was when they had their legendary audition tape from July 22, 1968 [[he recalled in his biography that he thought the audition was December 1968 at Berry's mansion) and this guy was supposedly intelligent but whenever he was in court, when asked a simple question, this dude was all like "I don't remember..." or "I don't recall..." You'd think if this man was as intelligent, he'd remember simple history like a producer who got them signed when people turned them down. He remembered James Brown coming to his house and giving them advice but when Joseph Jackson tried to get James to get his label to hear their audition tape, he said he "had no time for those noisy kids, I got kids of my own, Mr. Jackson, but thanks anyway." So even MJ's biggest influence didn't think to promote them.
    Strange how Michael forgot how Bobby let them stay with him at his house/apt. How he fed them. How he [[as well as Bobby Smith of the Spinners) drove them to Detroit the very first time. Why is it I know all of these things, but the Jackson seem not to?

That bullshit story Diana Ross repeated in her concerts for years when doing her "Motown Medley" about and then I was in Gary Indiana and I saw these 5 little boys and I yi,yi, yi.......That shit use to aggrevate me to hear!

thomas96 Guest
    Michael didn't forget about Bobby, or not thank him... Bobby stayed in touch with Michael all the way up to his death, and Michael would call him and ask for advice. On another note, Bobby did not get ANY credit from Motown, or the Jacksons [[publicly, not sure if any other than Michael thanked him or showed appreciation privately or not). And Bobby NEVER got the money he deserved from those productions. He's gotten no royalties on "I Want You Back," "ABC," "The Love You Save," or "I'll Be There" -- all of which he had a part in writing and producing.

thomas96 Guest
    That bullshit story Diana Ross repeated in her concerts for years when doing her "Motown Medley" about and then I was in Gary Indiana and I saw these 5 little boys and I yi,yi, yi.......That shit use to aggrevate me to hear!
    Oh man it killed me hearing that, but that was all BG. Whether or not it was necessary in the boys' success, I don't know, but he thinks it was. I just hate all the 'casual' Motown fans who mix up the Temps and Tops songs and then talk about how Diana Ross discovered Michael. When I went to a Ms Ross concert last August, I overheard people talking about how she found Michael and his brothers and then taught them and brought them to Motown. I had to step in and give them a piece of my mind, and the truth!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2HgGwBUkkY

Jermaine did not forget Bobby Taylor or Bobby Taylor watch this! They even remembered the Corporation and Deke Richards.

Stephanie, Marlon did not forget to mention Bobby either here on the Late Show with Arsenio Hall. He mentions Bobby at 4:14 in this clip. The problem is, they never remembered to thank Bobby for anything personally to his face, by letter or over the phone!

Heck, if I ever become famous, I am thanking everybody from Miss Harste my first teacher to Soulful Detroit! LOL!!!

^ You always have those people who say "if you ever get famous, don't forget to mention me." Lol Evelyn LaHaie's name doesn't get mentioned much and she's the reason the group became the "Jackson Five".

People get far too emotional with matters like this, and memories can soon fade, I find it sad when people want to claim, they did or didn't thank me, anything like that I would want keep personal.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    People get far too emotional with matters like this, and memories can soon fade, I find it sad when people want to claim, they did or didn't thank me, anything like that I would want keep personal.
    When I started this tread!!! My intentions was to talk about Bobby Taylor being PAID!!! IMO, he ws paid in Full by MOTOWN, for his discovery!!! Motown had close to 400 hundred songs that were produced by Bobby Taylor on the J-5!!!

Strange how Michael forgot how Bobby let them stay with him at his house/apt. How he fed them. How he [[as well as Bobby Smith of the Spinners) drove them to Detroit the very first time. Why is it I know all of these things, but the Jackson seem not to?
    They'd probably excuse it as "oh we were young, we didn't know the details. We were too excited." Not even Jackie, who was roughly 17, can't even remember it.

Also to watch someone else get the credit for discovering them in the eyes of the public for years. That myth was even perpetuated in the Jackson 5 cartoon series.
    Berry Gordy knew how to manipulate the situation. He knew crediting Diana Ross would boost the group [[and it did) but it did leave behind a lot of bitterness.

When I started this tread!!! My intentions was to talk about Bobby Taylor being PAID!!! IMO, he ws paid in Full by MOTOWN, for his discovery!!! Motown had close to 400 hundred songs that were produced by Bobby Taylor on the J-5!!!
    Calm down there. Lol Bobby Taylor produced roughly 20 songs on them.

thomas96 Guest
    Calm down there. Lol Bobby Taylor produced roughly 20 songs on them.
    More like 50-60 all produced in Detroit, and he did co-production work in LA on their first 4 hits, ABC, I Want You Back, I'll Be There, and The Love You Save -- which he didn't get credited for, or paid royalties for.

thomas96 Guest
    He was paid for the session work ONLY on songs that were released. BG had told Bobby that they had planned to release 3 albums of Bobby's stuff on the J5 and it ended up being about a a dozen and a half songs being released through their first 2 albums instead of what should've been over 30. BG basically dumped Bobby out in the streets, stole the Jackson boys and brought them to LA to record with the Corporation. Bobby co-wrote and co-produced ABC, I Want You Back, The Love You Save, and I'll Be There and didn't get a dime for them, or any credit whatsoever. And even the songs he did write/produce he didn't get any royalties for later on. Bobby got completely screwed over, said "fuck Motown" and left.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    More like 50-60 all produced in Detroit, and he did co-production work in LA on their first 4 hits, ABC, I Want You Back, I'll Be There, and The Love You Save -- which he didn't get credited for, or paid royalties for.
    Then in that case, that's even more upsetting... thanks for correcting. Bobby got dissed by everybody smh

He was paid for the session work ONLY on songs that were released. BG had told Bobby that they had planned to release 3 albums of Bobby's stuff on the J5 and it ended up being about a a dozen and a half songs being released through their first 2 albums instead of what should've been over 30. BG basically dumped Bobby out in the streets, stole the Jackson boys and brought them to LA to record with the Corporation. Bobby co-wrote and co-produced ABC, I Want You Back, The Love You Save, and I'll Be There and didn't get a dime for them, or any credit whatsoever. And even the songs he did write/produce he didn't get any royalties for later on. Bobby got completely screwed over, said "fuck Motown" and left.
    Wow. So you mean to tell me that he continued to work for them during the period they found fame and he got screwed out of being credited and paid? Wow. What year did he leave Motown? '72?

thomas96 Guest
    Wow. So you mean to tell me that he continued to work for them during the period they found fame and he got screwed out of being credited and paid? Wow. What year did he leave Motown? '72?
    In 1970 before The Love You Save was released he was sent back to Detroit to work on his own career by BG, which then dwindled out because of a lack of promotion, and he left I'd say in early 1971. He got paid very little for the hours he spent in the studio, and made no more money other than that. Then he went and did some work for a couple different labels including Philly International and Playboy. After that, he couldn't find work and had to live with his mother, and around the late '70s he had his first throat cancer surgery. He was in Beijing a couple of years with a studio he opened, and that ended because of some government restrictions, which then led him to Hong Kong, where he still is now. He's had 3 throat surgeries and at 80 is still performing 3 times a week. The man truly deserves to be a star, and in Hong Kong he is treated like one. It's really too bad people in the states didn't appreciate him, or hear his music because of lack of production.

Then in that case, that's even more upsetting... thanks for correcting. Bobby got dissed by everybody smh
    Do you recall the lawsuit that Motown filed and won....A part of those proceeds where what Motown owed Bobby thru the "UNRELEASED" material in Motown's vaults!!Once the producer recorded the song on the artist, the artist was responsible for song!! Remember Motown contracts stipulated that Motown did not have to "release" the material!!! Remember, David Ruffin stating, "that they will make u record and then not release the material"

Um hum, Yeah! Now let's all go see "Motown.....the Musical" doo dah~! LOL!

To add insult to injury, Bobby Taylor was not invited to "Motown 25" nor were he and the Vancouvers even mentioned or had their image shown during the television special........

smark21 Guest
    Poor Bobby Taylor! Why did Berry hate him so much? Did Miss Ross dislike him as well?

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Poor Bobby Taylor! Why did Berry hate him so much? Did Miss Ross dislike him as well?
    Yes Diane disliked him and he, from his interviews very much disliked her.

thomas96 Guest
    Um hum, Yeah! Now let's all go see "Motown.....the Musical" doo dah~! LOL!
    Exactly.. That's why I don't like Motown The Musical. The performers are clearly amazing and it was a fantastic show, but Motown's story does not belong on a couple hour broadway show. Hell, the whole story couldn't even fit in a 1000 page book. All it showed was how "great" BG was. Having the guy playing him sing the songs he wrote for Jackie Wilson... What a joke. Just putting more money into BGs pocket, and re-enforcing the lies!

thomas96 Guest
    To add insult to injury, Bobby Taylor was not invited to "Motown 25" nor were he and the Vancouvers even mentioned or had their image shown during the television special........
    And none of the Funks were mentioned, OR important artists like the Marvelettes, Jimmy Ruffin, Edwin Starr, Marv Johnson, the Contours, Gladys & the Pips. James Jamerson had to scalp a damn ticket to see the special. BG didn't give a shit about anyone who helped make Motown happen except Smokey and "Ms. Ross."

thomas96 Guest
    I wouldn't say BG hated him, I just think he had no feelings towards him whatsoever and just did what was best for himself. I don't know if Ms Ross didn't like him, but she definitely thought she was better than him.

Exactly.. That's why I don't like Motown The Musical. The performers are clearly amazing and it was a fantastic show, but Motown's story does not belong on a couple hour broadway show. Hell, the whole story couldn't even fit in a 1000 page book. All it showed was how "great" BG was. Having the guy playing him sing the songs he wrote for Jackie Wilson... What a joke. Just putting more money into BGs pocket, and re-enforcing the lies!
    It is a fairytale full of lies and omissions.................! Do they even mention Esther Gordy at all ?

I wouldn't say BG hated him, I just think he had no feelings towards him whatsoever and just did what was best for himself. I don't know if Ms Ross didn't like him, but she definitely thought she was better than him.
    Well Berry had to force her to go and see him and the band at the Cave in Vancouver. According to Bobby, she just sat there through their show frowning and acting bored. If someone did that to her, she'd have a fit! He calls her a "scub"! LOL!
    Last edited by marv2; 05-07-2014 at 10:00 PM.

And none of the Funks were mentioned, OR important artists like the Marvelettes, Jimmy Ruffin, Edwin Starr, Marv Johnson, the Contours, Gladys & the Pips. James Jamerson had to scalp a damn ticket to see the special. BG didn't give a shit about anyone who helped make Motown happen except Smokey and "Ms. Ross."
    They never mentioned Florence Ballard by name during the broadcast. Mary Wilson did mention her in an impromptu speech that Suzanne DePasse had edited out of the broadcast.

Do you recall the lawsuit that Motown filed and won....A part of those proceeds where what Motown owed Bobby thru the "UNRELEASED" material in Motown's vaults!!Once the producer recorded the song on the artist, the artist was responsible for song!! Remember Motown contracts stipulated that Motown did not have to "release" the material!!! Remember, David Ruffin stating, "that they will make u record and then not release the material"
    Motown treated people like cattle and then disregarded them when they weren't making money for the label. They almost literally force artists to do records with them as a needs of keeping them controlled.

thomas96 Guest
    Well Berry had to force her to go and see him and the band at the Cave in Vancouver. According to Bobby, she just sat there through their show frowning and acting bored. If someone did that to her, she'd have a fit! He calls her a "scub"! LOL!
    Exactly, but I wouldn't consider that hating him. That, to me, is a clear example of her thinking she's better than him. I can picture her saying to BG, "Why in the world should I go see those gosh darn losers?" He's called her a whole lot more than a "scrub"!!!

Exactly, but I wouldn't consider that hating him. That, to me, is a clear example of her thinking she's better than him. I can picture her saying to BG, "Why in the world should I go see those gosh darn losers?" He's called her a whole lot more than a "scrub"!!!
    I know he has, but in an effort to keep from being excessively attacked by her fans, I will refrain from repeating some of the things Bobby [[and others) have said about her.

thomas96 Guest
    I know he has, but in an effort to keep from being excessively attacked by her fans, I will refrain from repeating some of the things Bobby [[and others) have said about her.
    Good decision.

@ smark 21...This tread was not started to end up as conversation about Diana Ross!!!!!PLEAE STAY ON TOPIC!!!

Lulu Guest
    @ smark 21...This tread was not started to end up as conversation about Diana Ross!!!!!PLEAE STAY ON TOPIC!!!
    LOL dvus7...doesn't it always turn into a tarring & feathering of Miss Ross? Maybe that's why she wears that key lime feathered coat! Armor!

BTW, LOVE Spectrum's Bobby Taylor 2CD release from a few years back - some really stellar covers and not just the usual 'album filler' --- you can still get it for a good price on an Amazon seller's shops!

There you go Dvus7!!!! Good idea.

it's a dog eat dog world and it ain't no lie..
    and in all honesty, the only reason I paid attention to The Jackson 5 at the beginning was thanks to the 'Diana Ross Presents..' thing... me and a million others, so it obviously works.. and MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL is a 'jukebox musical', one of the most successful ever..all the details of who was who means nothing to the average person the audience..they just wanna sing,wanna dance and boo ga loo down Broadway, baybeeeee..