[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Anna Gordy

Anna Gordy

I always wondered how she was doing. It's amazing how the Gordy family has mainly been private but not more private than Anna. I hear little news from her every now and then but I've always been confused about a few things like, when she was born [[just the birth date) and was she born in Georgia or Detroit, and how big of an impact she had as far as building Motown is concerned [[not just Marvin's career). It seemed in his book, Marvin credited Anna with shaping his life/career but I think she shaped a lot more, kinda like her sister Gwen. Hell there was a label named after her, was there not? I just wonder why we never got the full story about Ms. Anna Ruby Gordy. I think her story would be quite fascinating to say the least.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search
    This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. Please help by adding reliable sources. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately, especially if potentially libelous or harmful. [[June 2009)
    Anna Gordy Gaye
    Birth name Anna Ruby Gordy
    Born December 12, 1921 [[1921-12-12) [[age 88)
    Milledgeville, Georgia
    Origin Detroit, Michigan, United States
    Genres R&B, soul
    Occupations Songwriter, composer
    Labels Anna, Motown
    Associated acts Berry Gordy, Marvin Gaye, The Originals
    Anna Gordy Gaye [[born December 12, 1921) is an American songwriter and composer, known as the elder sister of Motown founder Berry Gordy and the first wife of soul legend Marvin Gaye, who used their troubled marriage as the focal point of his critically acclaimed 1978 effort, Here, My Dear,[1] an album in which Gordy agreed to receive royalties on due to their divorce court proceedings.

Contents [hide]
    1 Biography
    1.1 Early life
    1.2 Introducing Marvin Gaye
    2 Personal life
    3 References

[edit] Biography
    [edit] Early life
    Born Anna Ruby Gordy in Oconee County, Georgia to Berry Gordy II and Bertha Gordy. Shortly after her birth, her family moved to Detroit. She was the second eldest of eight including four sisters and four brothers. Most of the Gordy siblings got involved in the music business in the late 1950s forming several production companies in Michigan. Berry, in particular, gained success writing hit songs for Jackie Wilson and a popular Detroit-based vocal group called The Miracles. In 1959, Gordy's brother formed Motown Records and within a few months, Anna, sister Gwen and Billy Davis formed Anna Records, the label would be the national distributor for Barrett Strong's local Tamla single, "Money [[That's What I Want)", which in turn became a top forty hit and became Motown's first hit single.

[edit] Introducing Marvin Gaye
    Main article: Marvin Gaye
    In 1960, notable musician Harvey Fuqua and his young protege Marvin Gaye had moved to Detroit to find work in the music business. Gaye had left The Moonglows and through Fuqua's connections, got in touch with members of the Gordy family including Gwen Gordy, who introduced Marvin to Motown Records president Berry Gordy. During an impromptu performance at Berry's house, Marvin met Anna. According to Marvin, he felt Anna was the closest thing to his mother.

Despite the fact that she was more than seventeen years Marvin's senior, Marvin and Anna eventually engaged in a romantic affair, which partially helped to get Marvin signed to Motown as a recording artist, within a year after he signed a deal with Motown as a session drummer. Despite several biographies stating that the couple married in 1961, Marvin and Anna were married on January 8, 1964 when Gaye was 24 and Gordy was 42. Early on, Marvin dedicated some of his songs to his wife including "Pride & Joy" and "Stubborn Kind of Fellow", songs he co-wrote. Marvin said Gordy was the inspiration for many of her recordings because she encouraged him.

Later on, she started co-writing songs for Marvin [["God Is Love" and "Flying High in the Friendly Sky" from his What's Going On album and "Just to Keep You Satisfied" from his Let's Get It On album) and provided parts of the music to Marvin's compositions for The Originals' hits, "Baby I'm For Real" and "The Bells".

[edit] Personal life
    After Marvin and Anna married in 1964, the couple adopted a son they renamed Marvin Pentz Gaye III, in November 1965. Rumors circulated that Marvin had been coaxed by members of Anna's family into producing a child with one of Anna's younger relatives who in turn would be adopted by him and Anna. This unconfirmed story was reported in author Michael Eric Dyson's biography, Mercy Mercy Me: The Life, Art and Demons of Marvin Gaye. Marvin confirmed the adoption in David Ritz's Marvin bio, Divided Soul: The Life and Death of Marvin Gaye.

Marvin and Anna's marriage was troubled from the start. Anna became "increasingly jealous" of the female attention Marvin was receiving as his star rose. Both Anna and Marvin suspected each other of adulterous liaisons and these suspicions inspired Marvin's music in the latter half of the sixties including "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" and "That's The Way Love Is".

The marriage completely fell apart once Marvin became involved with Janis Hunter in 1973. He fathered two children by Janis. Anna filed for divorce in 1975. After the divorce was finalized in 1977, Marvin produced the sarcastically-titled album, Here, My Dear, in order to fulfill his court-ordered divorce settlement. Anna considered filing a suit of invasion of privacy against Marvin according to Time magazine but later recanted her decision.

Anna remained close to her former husband until his 1984 death. After her divorce from Gaye was finalized, Anna never remarried and has since spent her remaining years in seclusion. In March 2005, Anna Gaye and her only child Marvin Gaye III was involved in a dispute at her Hollywood Hills home after her son refused to leave the residence.[2] During a hearing, it was revealed in January 2006 that the 84-year-old suffered moderate to severe dementia. She moved out of her home soon after and is now being cared for by a niece, Denise Gordy.[2]

^ Wikipedia don't help. Believe me lol

topdiva1 Guest
    Anna Gordy it is said lead a very secluded and private life because of her private life. She is reportedly suffering from complete and total dementia - and is living with family and has round the clock nursing service - she should be in her 80's.

^ I like to know more of her early years though. I know about the dementia sadly. And yes she's either 89 or 88 or 87... not sure.

topdiva1 Guest
    ^ it is said she was quite the power behind the throne in her brothers company - I do not believe a lot is known about the Gordy siblings younger youthful years, other than what has already been written.

It would be nice to know what the family was really like when Anna and the other children were young - and not yet famous.

^ Wasn't Anna part of Motown's Artist Development? I read the other day while looking at a picture of her, Marvin, Harvey and Gwen [[that famous picture from '61 I believe) that Anna was president of the Artist Development at the time.

topdiva1 Guest
    ^I believe she was.

Shes 88 and is cared for by her niece,Denise...

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 2059
Size:  21.1 KB
    Anna was said by some to have little part in Anna Records, and in the beginnings of Motown. But that is not true. She had a lot to do with the operations of both companies [[both in the business and creative ends of those businesses).

The quote that states that Anna Records was formed in 1959, "soon after" the founding of Motown, is quite wrong. Anna Records was founded in 1958, many months before Motown Records [[even before Berry and Raynoma formed RayBer Productions). Berry was just managing The Miracles, and producing a few other artists and writing songs, while Gwen, Anna and Billy Davis were already running Anna Records, and releasing records by The Voice Masters.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 2059
Size:  21.1 KB
    Anna was said by some to have little part in Anna Records, and in the beginnings of Motown. But that is not true. She had a lot to do with the operations of both companies [[both in the business and creative ends of those businesses).

The quote that states that Anna Records was formed in 1959, "soon after" the founding of Motown, is quite wrong. Anna Records was founded in 1958, many months before Motown Records [[even before Berry and Raynoma formed RayBer Productions). Berry was just managing The Miracles, and producing a few other artists and writing songs, while Gwen, Anna and Billy Davis were already running Anna Records, and releasing records by The Voice Masters.
    Thanks for that correction. I knew thinking about that story that is shown on Wiki was inaccurate. Plus Anna also could write a good song or two. Her contribution to the music of Detroit is often overlooked.

topdiva1 Guest
    Anna Gordy was a very "hands on" person - and she as well as all the Gordy's played MAJOR roles at Motown in the beginning - pre - LA.

Sorry to hear of her health problems,anna gordy gaye was a beautiful woman and from what i've read had a head for business too!