[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Think I am given up on universal. Unless I see a surprise Friday morning. Which I seriously doubt by this point.
    Sorry, It won't happen before the end of the year. It's still coming. We really tried ... but I think you all know that!

Will it be issued on cd?? So much mystery!

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    Sorry, It won't happen before the end of the year. It's still coming. We really tried ... but I think you all know that!
    Thank you for responding, George! I hope you and the team responsible for each expanded release know that this frustration/disappointment is NOT directed at you! We know you all do everything within your power and it is appreciated...

Many of us have lost total faith in the Unuversal releases and rumors. This release has be hinted at by posters for over two years. The Facebook page for "DRATS Expanded Edtions" and other postings are really just useless hearsay and innuendo. No "information" would be better. Sadly, we will all wind up buying it anyway so Motown Unuversal will still get our money.
    Last edited by longtimefan; 12-15-2016 at 01:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    George, we sincerely appreciate all of your and Andy's efforts on our behalf. We know you're just employees of a much larger company and such decisions are not yours. I'm sure all this consternation will immediately evaporate once we have your wonderful product in our ears. Thank you very much for all you do for the fans. Happy holidays to you and Andy.

You know I so wish we knew the bona fide reasons behind the delays and even non releases of Supremes/Motown artists...Motown is more out there than ever what with the musical and tv ads using Motown songs even having a Motown week on x factor getting Motown across to the younger audience yet theres delay after delay and digital only releases...for god sake the Supremes were the biggest selling American group of the 60's..not just that but black group...not just that but girl group of all time and yet we cant even get the ground breaking "A Go Go" album released on time for a 50th anniversary celebration..theres plenty of lesser even unknown 60,s stars getting releases every week...deluxe editions ,expanded editions and boxed sets [[yes on cd format) and your telling me these warrant a release over an album that has its place in music/black history...I really really do not understand what goes on at universal but if they have no interest in Motown/Supremes why the hell don't they let a company that does do something about it...I would love to know the real reason why all these other artists get the deluxe,expanded and boxed sets [[in other words preferential treatment) above Motown/Supremes...I have yet to read a thread that explains a reason that I can be content with rather than having to put up with stupid excuses like "Motown/Supremes don't have a big enough fan base anymore"...what so Dusty Springfield and The Moody blues etc do????...I don't suppose we will ever know but I have my suspicions...I know what I would like to say to universal [[they don't warrant a capitol letter) but I will keep quite...for now.

I know George's comment is well intended but the time length between releases is beyond ridiculous. The Supremes entire catalog should have been done in 2 sets, Meet The Supremes through Greatest Hits then Reflections through Farewell and been done with it. Like the Marvin Gaye CD sets which by the way...how many versions do we need of What's Going On. A 4-LP vinyl set? Really? Everybody under the sun has a CD on amazon yet the most important female trio of all time has taken YEARS to complete individually. Something is up with that and they're not going to say what it is and when they do it's always something to come to your own conclusions. Notice the question if in CD format is never answered? I gave up long ago on UMG and these non-existent releases. I think we're all old enough to handle the truth behind this. It's not going to happen.

Last two posts do make some sense.

Saying it is "sales" doesn't make sense either. You've had the person that sings on the songs touring for 6 years or so to sell outs.

Perhaps there is more to it; maybe it's all those people on these songs that say "ooh" or "ah" or twang an instrument or their estates. That makes little sense either - because only about two of them did it for more than a fee.

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    You know I so wish we knew the bona fide reasons behind the delays and even non releases of Supremes/Motown artists...Motown is more out there than ever what with the musical and tv ads using Motown songs even having a Motown week on x factor getting Motown across to the younger audience yet theres delay after delay and digital only releases...for god sake the Supremes were the biggest selling American group of the 60's..not just that but black group...not just that but girl group of all time and yet we cant even get the ground breaking "A Go Go" album released on time for a 50th anniversary celebration..theres plenty of lesser even unknown 60,s stars getting releases every week...deluxe editions ,expanded editions and boxed sets [[yes on cd format) and your telling me these warrant a release over an album that has its place in music/black history...I really really do not understand what goes on at universal but if they have no interest in Motown/Supremes why the hell don't they let a company that does do something about it...I would love to know the real reason why all these other artists get the deluxe,expanded and boxed sets [[in other words preferential treatment) above Motown/Supremes...I have yet to read a thread that explains a reason that I can be content with rather than having to put up with stupid excuses like "Motown/Supremes don't have a big enough fan base anymore"...what so Dusty Springfield and The Moody blues etc do????...I don't suppose we will ever know but I have my suspicions...I know what I would like to say to universal [[they don't warrant a capitol letter) but I will keep quite...for now.
    I've said it before and I'm going to say it again. UMe doesn't want to anything special for the Motown catalog [[in particular the 'Hitsville Years'). They're too busy with forthcoming reissues by Cream, The Who & Paul McCartney to do a 'deluxe/expanded' edition for any of The Supremes albums. The feeling they seem to have is, "if it didn't already come out on Hip-O Select, it's too late now". Nevertheless; thanks to George & Andy [[and others) for their work [[even though it may never see the light of day).

It makes little sense.

In the Motown catalog they are A-list, but when you throw it into the larger operations of the Universal world, they drop from A-list to C-list priority. It's a damn shame. For being the most successful American vocal group of all-time and the most successful female group, they don't get proper attention. And this includes all of the music industry.

It is odd. Movie and books about them, record setting; where are the BET, Grammy tributes etc?? which could also be a nice chance for Diana and Mary to come together ala Motown Musical.

they're women and they're black !!....
    and it has nothing to do with feuds, nasty books, name calling, hair pulling etc.. The Beatles, The Stones, The Beach Boys, etc and on and on all had
    feuds, nasty books, name calling, hair pulling of their own, to this very day, and it didn't take the steam out of their wagons!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    and it has nothing to do with feuds, nasty books, name calling, hair pulling etc.. The Beatles, The Stones, The Beach Boys, etc and on and on all had
    feuds, nasty books, name calling, hair pulling of their own, to this very day, and it didn't take the steam out of their wagons!
    Bingo, Jim! You hit the nail on the head. Say no more......

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    Ding Ding Ding... we have a winner.

That's exactly what I was talking about...glad you said it Jim.

We are all disappointed but what this comes down to is sales, or the lack of it to warrant releasing these products.

We have to remember that these artists that we worship are in their twilight years. Much as I hate to admit it, we are right behind them....in some cases right up there with them. Therefore the audience for their music is shrinking. Obviously if the numbers were there the products would come out.

Add to this is the pirating which is making the head honchos extra gun shy on issuing products they feel will turn a profit.

Unfortunately it takes the death of an artist in re-invigorate interest in their product. Or a movie that attracts a younger set of record buyers who don't have to pinch pennies the way us older people have to do. Many of us are on fixed incomes, or reduced incomes and must shell out more money than ever on insurances rather than indulge our Motown thirst.

Today sweet Cindy Birdsong is 77 yrs old. I am thinking of her a lot.

I think Universal is also too big a company for marketing a group like the Supremes.

As people point out, there are many lesser known artists being released - just not by giants like Universal that are totally profit driven.

They are the wrong fit for the Motown Catalog now.

Keith Hughes seems to be able to put together a release with 4 never before released Supremes numbers.

As far as awards for the Supremes, that too is over. Diana Ross got all the awards. The other Supremes are of interest to fans and dearly loved by some fans - but they are not well known enough to attract attention any more.

I notice Mike Love in his recent book more or less apologized for some of his bad behaviour due to substance abuse I guess - but I don't think the Beach Boy get much attention or awards any more either.

Good point Jobete but usually this stuff is issued overseas where veteran artists sell better

Bayou..Paul Mcartney,Cream,The Stones and The Who are also in their twilight years and they get the expanded deluxe editions this is my point entirely...Motown is right up there at the moment with the musical etc...my 19yr old son and his girlfriend have booked up to go and see the musical and when I went the audience was full of young folks...my daughter also told me that my oldest grandson was learning about Motown in his music lesson at school ....so to say the audience is dwindling does not make sense...theres more people [[of all ages ) than ever learning about and listening to Motown...Motown is part of history..music history and black history and it will never dwindle..there will always be Elvis,The Beatles and Motown..its got nothing to do with if the numbers were there because like I said lesser artists with a smaller audience get better treatment.

women is rock do not get their props
    the grammys did very little to remember Natalie Cole.'and when Diana got her lifetime grammy, it was off air . but the men got their props.
    by the time it comes out ill b to damn old to care.
    thank you to Andy , George and Harry and everyone who has given us these great collections.

The Beatles Stones Dylan etc are also part of the 'twilight years' groups and they have huge re issues on the market this holiday season and guess what? Unlike the Motown Expanded Editions they're in stores everywhere, Barnes & Noble, F.Y.E. etc and guess what else? Unlike the Motown Expanded Editions they are advertised,promoted and supported to reach their maximum TARGET [[pardon the pun) audiences! ..try It, Baby..

in fact, studies show that the older audience is responsible for the huge resurgence in th market share for vinyl records new and old, and CD sales, new releases and re issues.We ARE the market!

guys - I posted this in another thread back in the summer. and yes while i'm disappointed too in the delay with A Go Go, we have absolutely nothing to bitch about. I don't believe ANY other artist has received this extensive of treatment to their back and unreleased catalog as the Supremes and/or Diana Ross.

Yes while i'd personally love every blasted thing on the girls in the vaults, I thankful for the material we've already received. even if nothing else is ever released again except the same old annual reissues of Baby Love.

So in other words - shut the f up and stop whining

2001 - Diana Anthology
    2002 - 70s Anthology
    2002 - R&H complete recordings
    2002 - Diana 70 expanded edition
    2003 - #1's
    2003 - Diana 1980 expanded
    2003 - To Love Again expanded
    2004 - There's a Place For Us released
    2004 - Sups & Tempts complete duets
    2004 - Where Did Our Love Go expanded
    2006 - Blue
    2006 - Reflections dvd set
    2006 - Jean Terrell box set
    2007 - Last Time I Saw Him expanded
    2008 - Everything is Everything expanded
    2008 - Surrender expanded
    2008 - Lost & Found Sups
    2009 - Magnificent duets
    2009 - Touch Me in the AM expanded
    2010 - meet Sups expanded set
    2011 - Sups on Ed Sullivan dvd
    2011 - Let Yourself Go set
    2011 - 50th Anniver Singles set
    2011 - More hits expanded
    2012 - I Hear A Symphony expanded
    2012 - Copa expanded
    2012 - Ross expanded
    2014 - rerelease of all Sups and Diana lps
    2014 - Baby It's me expanded
    2014 - Funny Girl
    2015 - Diana RCA albums expanded editions
    2015 - Diana Wiz
    2015 - Sup Merry Xmas

true dat................

How can these sets sell when Universal doesn't promote them? There is zero promotion. They just come out with very little notice. You can't expect these things to sell when you don't promote them. That's why the sales are low. Yes, I understand Universal doing limited editions because it's not worth it to press 500,000 copies, but there is definitely a crowd out there to press 5,000 to 10,000 copies. Look at collections like "Where Did Our Love Go" and "The Jean Terrell Years." They're sold out. I know of people who are big fans of Ross/Supremes that aren't members of this board who had no clue about these expanded editions. Even the official Supremes page on Facebook doesn't promote these collections. If you put just a little bit of advertising on these collections then they will sell.

There's a lot of ideas here, food for thought.

Something isn't quite right in all of this

sup_fan, I'm with you. We Ross/Supremes aficionados have had an embarrassment of riches over the last nearly 2 decades for which we should be grateful. However, the delay of a deluxe version of an album of such monumental historical import as A' Go-Go does cause one to scratch one's head, as others have pointed out.

I was discussing your list of releases with my partner the other day; it really brings things into perspective beautifully. With that being said, I do have one minor quibble: The Supremes' entire back catalog has not yet been re-released [[e.g., Talk of the Town, TCB, and GIT.) I'm not complaining, merely mentioning a fact. Peace.
    Last edited by sansradio; 12-16-2016 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    guys - I posted this in another thread back in the summer. and yes while i'm disappointed too in the delay with A Go Go, we have absolutely nothing to bitch about. I don't believe ANY other artist has received this extensive of treatment to their back and unreleased catalog as the Supremes and/or Diana Ross.

Yes while i'd personally love every blasted thing on the girls in the vaults, I thankful for the material we've already received. even if nothing else is ever released again except the same old annual reissues of Baby Love.

2001 - Diana Anthology
    2002 - 70s Anthology
    2003 - #1's
    2006 - Blue
    2008 - Lost & Found Sups
    2009 - Magnificent duets
    2012 - Copa expanded
    2012 - Ross expanded
    2014 - Funny Girl
    2015 - Diana Wiz
    2015 - Sup Merry Xmas
    Wow. That list is really saying something.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    sup_fan, I'm with you. We Ross/Supremes aficionados have had an embarrassment of riches over the last nearly 2 decades for which we should be grateful. However, the delay of a deluxe version of an album of such monumental historical import as A' Go-Go does cause one to scratch one's head, as others have pointed out.

I was discussing your list of releases with my partner the other day; it really brings things into perspective beautifully. With that being said, I do have one minor quibble: The Supremes' entire back catalog has not yet been re-released [[e.g., Talk of the Town, TCB, and GIT.) I'm not complaining, merely mentioning a fact. Peace.
    Both "Talk Of The Town" and "TCB" have been released on CD, the latter is still readily available a part of a 2fer along with "Liverpool". "GIT" does need to see the light of day on CD though.
    [https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...7WguEL-7UnxdW]
    [https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...9G6qD6-7VtAvE]
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 12-16-2016 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Both "Talk Of The Town" and "TCB" have been released on CD, the latter is still readily available a part of a 2fer along with "Liverpool". "GIT" does need to see the light of day on CD though.
    [https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...7WguEL-7UnxdW]
    [https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...9G6qD6-7VtAvE]
    Of course you're right; I was referring to the 2014 "remastered for iTunes" generation, however.

Call me old fashioned lol.

To reduce a legitimate discussion about why a record company would not release the expanded edition of the first ever #1 album of an American female group at its fiftieth anniversary to “whining” is unfair and rather condescending. Of course we can—and perhaps should—be grateful for all that has been released, I definitely am; many of us have expressed their gratitude by actually buying these products. The suggestion that no other artist has received such extensive treatment of their back and unreleased catalog than Supremes and/or Ross is just not true. Part of the large quantity of the Supremes and Ross is because so much original material has been released in the past. But the treatment of the catalogues of the Beatles, Bob Dylan, Fleetwood Mac, just to name a few, have been relatively much more extensive. If the Beatles A Go Go had been the first ever #1 album of a British group on the American charts, it would have received several expanded editions by now to celebrate multiple anniversaries.
    Last edited by Jaap; 12-16-2016 at 10:30 AM.

Well said Jaap. Kind of odd to say the least that on a Motown forum people who love Motown and the Supremes and who would buy more product are labeled whiners for expressing their desires. Let's all be good boys and girls and be quiet and maybe we will get the Supremes sing Funny Girl 2 and you better buy every single copy or download or you will never get anything again!!
    Last edited by luke; 12-16-2016 at 10:51 AM.

2001 - Diana Anthology
    2002 - 70s Anthology
    2003 - #1's
    2006 - Blue
    2008 - Lost & Found Sups
    2009 - Magnificent duets
    2012 - Copa expanded
    2012 - Ross expanded
    2014 - Funny Girl
    2015 - Diana Wiz
    2015 - Sup Merry Xmas
    I could do without being told to shut up and stop whining.

33 releases over 15 years compared to the entirety of the catalogue is not that great, especially considering that the last time most of these were previously issued was in the 1988-1993 period when the mastering was, well, 1988 quality with no previously unreleased material.

And anyway, what is this:
    ?
    I've never seen all of their LPs reissued.

I don't think the issue is that it's not coming. It's that it has been on hold for so long. Then we r told by years end. But get nothing. Things do happen but it happens to many times and to all us loyal fans.
    I feel the problem is Universal's lack if respect towards us.peace

i'm certainly not saying I wouldn't like everything released from the vaults. heck i'd even like the mistakes and bloopers as I think it would illustrate more of the growth and recording process. And yes, i'm eagerly waiting for A Go Go too and will buy it, if and when released.

And please show me as comprehensive of a list of vaulted material, alt tracks, rare mixes, etc for any other artist that's been released. i'd welcome the comparison to what's been done on the Supremes in recent years.

Bitching here on the forum really does little good and people on here forget that everything is dependent on business. profit and loss. The idea to simply re-release an album, no matter how historic, if the forecasts don't show it being profitable would be idiotic. Also much of the vaulted material recorded and considered for the original album has been released. obviously not all of it if they're considering doing an expanded issue.

For decades I enjoyed my scratchy, poorly dubbed bootleg tapes. just happy to have had a chance to hear some more things of the girls. And i'm happy for the quantity that has been released. if more comes, perfect. if not, i'll continue to spin these and be thankful for what I've received.

Bitching here on the forum really does little good and people on here forget that everything is dependent on business. profit and loss. The idea to simply re-release an album, no matter how historic, if the forecasts don't show it being profitable would be idiotic. Also much of the vaulted material recorded and considered for the original album has been released. obviously not all of it if they're considering doing an expanded issue.
    Well thank you for first calling somebody else's comments "whining" and now "bitching." That shows real appreciation of other people's views that you might not share. No one said Universal had to "simply re-release an album" and you just assume that "the forecasts don't show it being profitable." We don't know that. The point was/is that a release of Supremes A Go Go as Fiftieth anniversary edition would have more chance of reaching a wider audience than just Motown/Supremes fans [[and thus becoming profitable) than releasing it years later. Discussing that is not "whining" or "bitching" -- it is part of a discussion of the music business, and particularly the new business of "nostalgia releases" to older audiences, which from the start has had a strong bias toward white male rock music. Large record companies like Universal often underestimate the commercial potential of music genres and groups that might appeal to an other demographic than just the white old men collecting the Beatles and Bob Dylan. To assume it is just plain economics and that it has not anything to do with biases within corporate culture is naive. And I think it is good that this is being discussed -- on this forum and elsewhere.
    Last edited by Jaap; 12-17-2016 at 06:33 AM.

Jaap. thank you so much for your comments. so true.
    and I don't think I was bitching personally but expressing my frustration on Universal treatment of Motown and us. ,now I did think Go Go was done,.. but WHEN the announcement of it coming by years end ,everyone hopes were up only to be dashed yet again .thank you universal..now if A Go Go does get up and running I do think it will most likely be the last. I am not sure theres much of a chance of anything else coming due to universal attitude towards these releases. I have really given up on it.
    and yes I am like everyone else who had cassette tapes and I enjoyed them for years as well. but it is us that got a lot of these release out by expressing our views here on SDF as there are peeps here who work at universal and read these comments.
    that being said thank you Andy George Kevin Harry and the rest of the team for your dedication. every collection has been handled with love and respect.

now if A Go Go does get up and running I do think it will most likely be the last. I am not sure theres much of a chance of anything else coming due to universal attitude towards these releases. I have really given up on it.
    I'm afraid you are right, but you never know though what can happen. In 2006, BLUE came literally out of the blue, and here Universal successfully reached a wider audience than Motown/Supremes fans alone, through, among other things, the deal with Starbucks. I too am grateful and happy with everything that HAS been released, but it is quite thrilling when you can be surprised again, like when I heard Ross's "This Christmas" for the first time, or the live version of "Something's On My Mind."

Jaap, I totally agree. Blue was a gem. and there are so many surprises that have come out over the years. I am grateful for all that we got thus far. I do think the deal with Starbucks was a move in the right direction. I am surprised that they didn't use Starbucks again especially with the upcoming A Go Go and the previous release ,Where Did Our Love Go.
    I always thought that part of the problem was that these releases were not promoted properly and Dianas music was not being reaching the right audience.

I would love to see TCB or Diana ,s 1979 HBO special, live from ceasers deluxe edition. not sure if it will happen. I do think there are gems left. but universal seems to be waiting for someone to die to release anything.

Update. Andy has posted GoGo us coming early 2017. Has a sound bit of a track. You guess what it is. Check his Facebook page

Update. Andy has posted GoGo us coming early 2017. Has a sound bit of a track. You guess what it is. Check his Facebook page
    Any mention of a physical release? I am tired of getting excited about new releases, only to have them digital-only.

Andy mentioned that it will be BOTH physical AND digital.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    Andy mentioned that it will be BOTH physical AND digital.
    Really? Wow, then count me in – can‘t wait for this. Thanks a lot for the info!

I wonder what would happen if there was even a little marketing for A Go Go? Would it unlock potential customers who don't even know these things exist? Many people think the music industry has completely stopped selling CDs. Others may not know the wealth of the back catalog. I'm sure even a spot or two on the morning shows with Mary telling a story or two would have at least a noticeable effect. Perhaps the math isn't there for catalog releases, I dunno.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/2016-new-music-releases/ I guess some people think there is still quite a cd market!

Yeah. Casual listeners don't buy cds anymore. It's just. Harder to sell nowadays. Digitally is where it's headed. Where it already is!

But don't get me wrong. I want a cd for this. As i like to collect!