[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Knowing George and Andy they'll give us both! And extra bonus colors, to boot! Love those guys...

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    The big question on the A Go Go release is..... will the A Go Go be in green or blue? I always wondered why they changed the coloring of the LP.
    they did,never noticed,....have to check this out

RossHolloway Guest
    Found this really nice mix of Hang On Sloopy. You gotta love the Funk Bros on this song.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    The big question on the A Go Go release is..... will the A Go Go be in green or blue? I always wondered why they changed the coloring of the LP.
    Great question. I noticed that both the Mono and Stereo LP issues have both green and blue versions and the early 90s CD version is green. The 2Fer from the early 90s [[with Love Child) uses blue. Wonder why the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Found this really nice mix of Hang On Sloopy. You gotta love the Funk Bros on this song.

But that wasn't the Funk Brothers!

This track was cut in L.A.

Cheers

Paul

I know this one will sell out asap as I think it's their most successful album ,over 3 million copies sold. Only their 1967 album sold more.
    my favorite has always been SING HDH.
    but what is it about this album that everyone likes. I know it contains two of their classic hits ,but it seems so uneven to me.some great songs , some ok. I just don t think its as good as the others.
    were they trying to make it as pop as possible???

did he intentionally list it on YouTube as "Hang On SLOPPY"?

supremester Guest
    I think A Go Go was a smash because YCHL was that huge. It was not only the quintessential Supremes record, it was the quintessential Pop record period. It murdered on radio. The art was perfect and the inclusion of popular songs of the day that many knew but might not have purchased probably helped. It was a fun album to have on and really the only dud, for me, was Come And Get These Memories. I don't like the song by Martha either - however I do like it live these days.. Mary's isn't annoying, just boring. I wish they would have given her something she could sink her teeth into. I'm jealous of you all who dig this song.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bradburger View Post
    But that wasn't the Funk Brothers!

This track was cut in L.A.

Cheers

Paul
    DFTMC has the track being recorded in Detroit/LA. It does not sound like an LA track to my ears.

I will probably get yelled at along with you Supremester but "Memories" has never ever been a favorite of mine as well. I am not sure why I guess different folks and different strokes. I loved "A Go Go" because of the album cover ......................cheesy right ? but I was sold on that. To me it was true "eye candy" of my girls. There they were sharp and not all glossy up and glittery. My sister cut the pictures out on the album so I had to go and buy another. Oh yeah and by the way the rest of the songs on the album were outstanding. The girls were on top of there game.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I think A Go Go was a smash because YCHL was that huge. It was not only the quintessential Supremes record, it was the quintessential Pop record period. It murdered on radio. The art was perfect and the inclusion of popular songs of the day that many knew but might not have purchased probably helped. It was a fun album to have on and really the only dud, for me, was Come And Get These Memories. I don't like the song by Martha either - however I do like it live these days.. Mary's isn't annoying, just boring. I wish they would have given her something she could sink her teeth into. I'm jealous of you all who dig this song.

The Supremes version sounds way more polished.
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Motown Queen I like Mary Wilsons version of Memories as well. I love Martha but I never liked that song but when Mary did it I changed my mind. Thanks Guys for getting A Go Go out in an Expanded Way.

I often wondered why "A Go Go" struck such a major chord becoming the first #1 studio album by a female group. "You Can't Hurry Love" was also one of their most soulful singles. And "Love Is Like an Itching" has a little more rock ' roll cred.

And it was also the most teen-friendly since "Where Did Our Love Go" without a cover more targeted to an adult audience.

It would be nice for the "A Go Go"/Expanded Edition to sellout like the 10,000 copies of "Where Did Our Love Go: 40th Anniversary" did so briskly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    I often wondered why "A Go Go" struck such a major chord becoming the first #1 studio album by a female group. "You Can't Hurry Love" was also one of their most soulful singles. And "Love Is Like an Itching" has a little more rock ' roll cred.

And it was also the most teen-friendly since "Where Did Our Love Go" without a cover more targeted to an adult audience.

It would be nice for the "A Go Go"/Expanded Edition to sellout like the 10,000 copies of "Where Did Our Love Go: 40th Anniversary" did so briskly.
    Uh huh! "Love Is Like An Itching in My Heart" was pure 60's Ghetto Funk! Spurred on by the Funk Brothers being allowed to cut loose. Nothing about that record sounded "rock and roll" LOL!

supremester Guest
    My problem is the song itself. "he-er's YOUR friendshipring, I I ..." the phrasing and jumps in the notes is yeechy to me. Martha's vocal accents those things. Mary's is much more subdued, mercifully, but it's just so dull. A lot of people like it, I'm just not one of them. When Martha does it live these days, she minimizes the things about the song I don't like and leaves all the good stuff - of which there is a lot.

supremester Guest
    I loved the album cover much more than WDOLG, Symphony and Meet '65. It had that party/More Hits feel to it. I played it to death. I prefer The Supremes Baby I Need Your Loving and Shake Me Wake Me to the originals.

Good question!

YOU CANT HURRY LOVE is one of the supremes biggest singles, I think it's their 5th best selling song

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    The first ti,e iI heard Come and Get These Memories was by the Supremes, so I prefer their version over the Vandellas. I thought Mary's vocal as good but could have gotten more of a fiery vocal from her. It seemed rushed imo because on the original Mary's lead is in one channel only. Still like the song by Mary and the Supremes

supremester Guest
    I'm the same way. I didn't hear Martha's until way later and was shocked at it. Lucky for Martha not everyone heard what I heard. That's what's cool about pop music - it pushes everyone's buttons differently.

I love this song by Martha. I had the album and this is one of my favorite songs of Martha's. At one time Martha and the Vandellas were my favorite group. I heard it years later by Mary Wilson and did not like it. Still don't. To me it is one of the worst Mary songs ever.

Come and Get These Memories by the Supremes was very pedestrian, a 2nd rate vocal with no excitement.

RossHolloway Guest
    Well I heard the Supreme's version of CAGTM before I heard Martha & Th Vandellas version, so I've always favored the Supreme's version a little more, but I still love the original version. Plus at that time there weren't many songs that Mary sang lead on so that also made it special to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Well I heard the Supreme's version of CAGTM before I heard Martha & Th Vandellas version, so I've always favored the Supreme's version a little more, but I still love the original version. Plus at that time there weren't many songs that Mary sang lead on so that also made it special to me.
    You reminded me that I felt that same way. But I got A Go Go several years after it was a big hit.

smark21 Guest
    It's not just the vocal; the arrangement and playing on Supremes' Come and Get These Memories are very rote. It's the essence of a filler track--arranged, recorded and mastered all in haste just to have a song to possibly place on an album, or stick in the vault.

Check out Kim Weston`s version of "Come And Get These Memories" The Funks are having fun too.

Is there any idea when the release date is ?

supremester Guest
    I love Martha - but not on this, to me - this is not Mary's type of material and I think her vocal is dull [[unlike Baby Don't Go) , but Kim's version is my fave so far - thanks!

Am curious: was the "A Go Go" sessions the first time Frank Wilson had worked with the Supremes?

I love this album. It's very similar [[minus "the hits") to one of the first Supremes albums I ever purchased: "Diana Ross and the Supremes Sing Motown".

Name:  dr_motown1.jpg
Views: 1782
Size:  72.2 KB

liked that album as well and I found out later it was also released elsewhere, maybe UK with extended track list

was one stereo and one mono?

I played "You Cant Hurry Love" early on in my dj gig last nite [[remastered version from "Love & Life" compilation)..it went off the kids loved it..a winner

you think we would be entitles to a preview or release date, something

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    you think we would be entitles to a preview or release date, something
    "How long must I wait / How much more can I take... I keep waiting / I keep on waiting / But it ain't easy..."

I agree with rod per Come and Get These Memories. It could have been more but how Boots or Sloopy could be preferred over it is beyond me!

I wish HDH could have mixed the other tracks as well or produced them.i think had that been the case.this LP could have been killer.

Friday dec 1 1916, no Go Go yet

i know, this is becoming frustrating. As if Universal doesn't want The Supremes to succeed. They are sitting on Gold and they don't realize it.Very frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    i know, this is becoming frustrating. As if Universal doesn't want The Supremes to succeed. They are sitting on Gold and they don't realize it.Very frustrating.
    Wait, wait, wait. Is it the 1970s again!?!

Yes. And it won't come out for just under 50 more years!!!
    Last edited by thanxal; 12-01-2016 at 10:15 PM.

huntergettingcaptured Guest
    I actually liked the Supremes' version of this song, but I took it for what it was: a nice cover version. Martha's was the definitive version. But then I heard what H-D-H did with Kim Weston covering "Memories" and I was floored... and disgusted- disgusted that nobody at Motown saw the hit potential of such a hot cover. The music track alone is killer! I thought, if they didn't release Kim's version, why waste such a great track- they should have used that for the Supremes. That version would really have given Mary something to Rock to.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VkvzLViJVA0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Last edited by huntergettingcaptured; 12-12-2016 at 04:15 AM.

Just 3 more weeks and it will be 2017. It looks like A Go Go will miss the anniversary year for release.

But there are 4 or 5 new Supremes tracks on the CD Keith Hughes is putting together - so we'll have that.

These things seems to be a tougher and tougher sell at Universal. They've missed the holiday season and with that go a few more sales.

It would be nice if the powers that be gave us some info

Money [[Universal Doesn't Want Mine)

a Go Go is delayed [[thanks, Universal) but it is still on

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    But there are 4 or 5 new Supremes tracks on the CD Keith Hughes is putting together - so we'll have that.

These things seems to be a tougher and tougher sell at Universal. They've missed the holiday season and with that go a few more sales.
    What's this CD? Thanks in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    What's this CD? Thanks in advance...
    "Motown Unreleased 1966".

Go look up that thread on it - about 10 down.

Talking 4 unreleased tracks and there is some info on it.

Seems they've drummed up some sales.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Go look up that thread on it - about 10 down.

Talking 4 unreleased tracks and there is some info on it.

Seems they've drummed up some sales.
    Here it is for convenience's sake:
    http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...eased-1966-yet

Think I am given up on universal. Unless I see a surprise Friday morning. Which I seriously doubt by this point.