[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Supremes A Go Go Expanded Edition

well the word is out! in the liner notes/booklet for Funny Girl, it states that Go Go and Baby It's Me are to be released next.

so now we've already received some of the Go Go tracks on Lost & Found, including outtakes. i've read that there were many, many proposed lineups for this lp. so it could be that there are still some to release.

and i love how in the last several Expanded Editions, they've included live sets. wonder if that's their idea here too?

the Alt Tracks i've read about being included were:

Can I Get a Witness
    Uptight
    It Ain't Unusual
    Mickey's monkey
    Satisfaction
    In My Lonely Room

then it's been written that there are many unreleased mixes of Itchin'

plus we have the alt tracks to YCHL and This Old Heart.

so any ideas as to what this package will include? wonder if it'll be 2 discs or 1? inquiring minds want to know! hehe

Thanks a lot for the info - thrilled that "Baby It's Me" is finally coming, and very glad that "Supremes A Go Go" is being released as well. Makes a little bit up for the bloody digital thing with "Funny Girl"... I will of course buy both of these on CD.

So these are definitely going to be released on CD ?

Quote Originally Posted by djessie View Post
    Thanks a lot for the info - thrilled that "Baby It's Me" is finally coming, and very glad that "Supremes A Go Go" is being released as well. Makes a little bit up for the bloody digital thing with "Funny Girl"... I will of course buy both of these on CD.
    Let's HOPE "A Go Go" will be released on CD. We waited how many years for "FG", only to get it as a digital download.

I'm steering away from the "FG" threads. I won't be buying it, so I have no interest in hearing about it.

Sad.

Same here Mary - I hope we will get a confirmation soon about the formats. I think they will be released on CD though *fingers crossed*

we fans also have to go with the flow, it digitial downloads are the thing of the future, then so be it. FG sounds great

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    we fans also have to go with the flow, it digitial downloads are the thing of the future, then so be it. FG sounds great
    I disagree. I think our voices need to be heard.

Have to go with the flow? I'm sorry, but if I don't want a product then I simply wont buy it. I have no interest whatsoever in digital, while I love buying CDs and there are plenty of people out there that feel the same way. If they all start buying digital because there is no alternative, then yes, digital might truly become a thing of the future. But when people do indeed speak up, both with their voices and their wallet, it sends out the message that there is a large group of people out there that want to buy the music - just not on any given format. If albums started coming out on cassettes again, it wouldn't mean I would buy them because "there is no other way". To me, digital is even worse then cassettes.

So no, I don't think I will be "going with the flow" just yet!

RossHolloway Guest
    Good God, can't we just enjoy this release without folks still being pissy over it being a digital release? WE GET IT, you what a physical release, it didn't happen, you don't have to keep beating a dead horse over and over again.

When told we supposedly "have to go with the flow", I will certainly speak my mind! There is nothing there for some of us to "enjoy" with this release.

i guess i'm a bit confused as to what the issue is with digital vs cd. were people as hot and bothered when when vinyl, 8 track, reel to reel and cassette formats came and went? as a collector and fan of supremes and motown, i'm mostly interested in learning as much as i can about my groups, the histories, the rare and alt music, etc. it's not like i have every single things regarding the Sups in 1 format or place. i have books on the girls, i have cd's records and digital, i have pics [[both physical and digital versions), there are threads here on Soulful, there are groups on Facebook, etc. by being active in ALL of these areas and formats, i feel i learn the most about the history and content.

to me the most important thing is to 1) get as much out of the motown vault as possible and 2) updated and superior quality of mixing and track "cleanup" so the music sounds as great as possible. if they could simply fire the content directly into my brain, fine. if it's a cd. fine. if it's digital, fine. just keep the music coming

RossHolloway Guest
    When told we supposedly "have to go with the flow", I will certainly speak my mind! There is nothing there for some of us to "enjoy" with this release.
    There is nothing wrong with speaking your mind, that's what we all do here. But can't we Supreme/Motown fans have this day to enjoy the release without some folks still pissin all over this re-release because it's not in the format that they wanted? There is nothing we can do about it here on this forum. Write to Universal/Motown and air your grievances, but let the rest of us fans enjoy the release today.

and how about we shift the focus of the dialog back to the original questions i posted

any ideas or thoughts about the CONTENT for a gogo?

i wonder if there was much change in the shows during this time. seems like the Roostertail lineup included in Symphony already includes YCHL so i'm not sure what else would be included from this specific time period. in 67 they added Lady is a tramp, swapped out YCHL with Happening [[still using the tambourines), etc.

and we also have quite a few of the corrected stereo tracks from Go Go - Come and Get, I Can't Help Myself.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i guess i'm a bit confused as to what the issue is with digital vs cd. were people as hot and bothered when when vinyl, 8 track, reel to reel and cassette formats came and went? as a collector and fan of supremes and motown, i'm mostly interested in learning as much as i can about my groups, the histories, the rare and alt music, etc. it's not like i have every single things regarding the Sups in 1 format or place. i have books on the girls, i have cd's records and digital, i have pics [[both physical and digital versions), there are threads here on Soulful, there are groups on Facebook, etc. by being active in ALL of these areas and formats, i feel i learn the most about the history and content.

to me the most important thing is to 1) get as much out of the motown vault as possible and 2) updated and superior quality of mixing and track "cleanup" so the music sounds as great as possible. if they could simply fire the content directly into my brain, fine. if it's a cd. fine. if it's digital, fine. just keep the music coming
    Great post!

geez, I stated it may be a thing of the future. fact, cds are selling less and less, lighten up guys. it's not that serious. you don't want it don't buy it, I did , I like it. great job to all envolved, thanks Andy, George, and Kevin

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Great post!
    I agree! I couldn't live without iTunes - not sure how, in this day and age anyone can but that's just me. I still have all of my LPs and CDs but would lose my mind if I had to sort through them just to listen to a particular song and/or album on the fly. I have no intention of becoming a hoarder so thank you UMG for trimming the fat on this and making it "portable"!

"i guess i'm a bit confused as to what the issue is with digital vs cd. were people as hot and bothered when when vinyl, 8 track, reel to reel and cassette formats came and went?"

These were all physical, collectable formats. The same can not be said for MP3s...
    Last edited by djessie; 04-29-2014 at 02:54 PM.

yes I agree, we have moved from lps to 8 track to cassette, as long as they are bringing us the great music I am happy for the music and history

great point RossHolloway

A GO GO will be on cd. iT'S THE SAME OLD SONG, HEATWAVE were originally recorded during the timeline and were supposed to be out takes from this album

There is nothing wrong with speaking your mind, that's what we all do here. But can't we Supreme/Motown fans have this day to enjoy the release without some folks still pissin all over this re-release because it's not in the format that they wanted? There is nothing we can do about it here on this forum. Write to Universal/Motown and air your grievances, but let the rest of us fans enjoy the release today.
    It is not my intention to spoil anything for people that are happy with this digital release. I was mostly referring to the future releases, saying that I hope they will not be digital only.

Contacting Universal/Motown has had no results, but perhaps there are people that work there who monitor this forum. Maybe there are people here that find complaining about "Funny Girl" a waste of time. But the complaints are just as valid as saying you love this "release". I have stated my views and probably wont do it again regarding "Funny Girl". But I will certainly voice my opinions again if future releases will follow this trend!

For now, enough negativity I'm sure that "Baby It's Me" and "Go Go" will be released on CD's, continuing the excellent Hip-O-Select series we have come to love.
    Last edited by djessie; 04-29-2014 at 02:57 PM.

it seems like a lot of the Go Go and Sing HDH tracks blend together into the same time period. i'm not sure how much of a "concept" was going on with either, frankly. IMO Go Go was just a great effort to take the 2 latest, powerful singles [[which were both great dance tracks) and construct a hard hitting dance record. in the 60s, the phrase A Go Go was everywhere so this was a great marketing ploy

with HDH, they had some new singles to include and then there were just tons of HDH tracks to include. i think maybe this was an attempt to give them some publicity. perhaps [[and i'm speculating there) there were some early grumblings with HDH and Berry at this time, which of course eventually led to their leaving. maybe Berry thought this was a way to make them happy, give them some big props on a Sup lp

I'm pretty certain that the folks at Universal read these forums. Harry himself is/was a member at SDF. And if I'm not mistaken, both Andy and George have posted here that they appreciate our feedback, both positive and negative. Andy also mentioned that persaps someday this does have the potential for a physical release. If it's out of sight, it's out of mind, so I'm going to keep beating that horse until it's beyond dead. And for the record, personally this isn't the only place I have made my voice clear. I'm just nodding my head in agreement to the others who think a digital download is "unfunny."

For the record, I'm glad that "FG" was reissued, in any format. I guess we just should have been more specific about which type of pony we wanted.

And with that said, can't we all just enjoy today, the release of "FG", without 12,000 questions/opinions/suggestions/thoughts about "Baby It's Me" and "A Go Go?"

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    I agree! I couldn't live without iTunes - not sure how, in this day and age anyone can but that's just me. I still have all of my LPs and CDs but would lose my mind if I had to sort through them just to listen to a particular song and/or album on the fly. I have no intention of becoming a hoarder so thank you UMG for trimming the fat on this and making it "portable"!
    I agree. I still have my 45s and albums, and cd collection, but the thing I like most about iTunes and Amazon downloads is the instant gratification. I remember growing up in a small town in Michigan and going to RECORD STORES on the weekend and looking for music I wanted only to find the stores did not have a certain 45 or album and would either have to special order what I wanted or walked away disappointed. With iTunes I can have a song or album downloaded in a matter of a few minutes, not to mention all the new music I've discovered just by surfing the website. I still love cds, but I can appreciate downloads, including Funny Girl.

RossHolloway Guest
    It is not my intention to spoil anything for people that are happy with this digital release. I was mostly referring to the future releases, saying that I hope they will not be digital only.

Contacting Universal/Motown has had no results, but perhaps there are people that work there who monitor this forum. Maybe there are people here that find complaining about "Funny Girl" a waste of time. But the complaints are just as valid as saying you love this "release". I have stated my views and probably wont do it again regarding "Funny Girl". But I will certainly voice my opinions again if future releases will follow this trend!

For now, enough negativity I'm sure that "Baby It's Me" and "Go Go" will be released on CD's, continuing the excellent Hip-O-Select series we have come to love.
    Contacting Universal/Motown is not a waste of time. Harry himself has encouraged folks to write in to UM. Harry has been VERY responsive in the past. He's replied to several of my emails and once even contacted me by phone. He may not be the ultimate "decider" when it comes to releases, he still has a lot of influence and has been very responsive to what the fans want and have requested.

Mary - i believe there are multiple threads going on Funny Girl. i know i've participating in several discussions. both here and on FB. within the FG release came the announcement of GoGo and Baby It's Me. i started a separate thread on Gogo so that it wouldn't sidetrack the FG discussions. let's let FG be discussed in the FG threads and let's use this one to discuss Gogo. if there's another topic you'd like to discuss, feel free to initiative another thread too. there's certainly ample topics and ideas regarding the Girls.

supremester Guest
    I wanted a CD, but I want to hear the music more than hold it, I will L it happily. If a CD comes out later, which I doubt, I'll get that too.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    And with that said, can't we all just enjoy today, the release of "FG", without 12,000 questions/opinions/suggestions/thoughts about "Baby It's Me" and "A Go Go?"
    But this is a thread for "A Go Go..."

I completely agree. What got me really confused was when everyone championed for the re-release of the Tata Vega albums, but when it came out on digital, they boycotted. Not only is that a boycott of the format, but of the artist as well. Regardless of the format, we should still support the artist.

As for "A Go Go," I'm hoping there might be more than just alternative tracks. I wonder if there are any unheard tracks from those sessions. Similarly to "FG," I hope they do a remix of the album. I've always hated how thin and weak "A Go Go" sounds.

I like about half of the songs from A GO GO but the other half seem weak, as if they were recorded elsewhere or with other producers.
    no a fan of HAMG N SLOOPY /THESE BOOTS ARE MADE FOR WALKING.
    I do like GET READY,SHAKE ME WAKE ME

didn't someone say that the Go Go tracks were not actually all HDH productions? i think quite a few were someone else. Frank Wilson maybe? not sure off the top of my head. you're right that Sloopy, Boots and some others are weak. i think the differences are that it was 2 different production teams

i still think This Old Heart should have been released on the Sups. their version is preferably IMO to the Isley's. and in the old Motown/Hitsville cd box sets from the 90s, it stated there that is was originally intended for the Sups. frankly i think it would have been a stronger single than Itchin. never been a huge fan of that one

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    I completely agree. What got me really confused was when everyone championed for the re-release of the Tata Vega albums, but when it came out on digital, they boycotted. Not only is that a boycott of the format, but of the artist as well. Regardless of the format, we should still support the artist.

As for "A Go Go," I'm hoping there might be more than just alternative tracks. I wonder if there are any unheard tracks from those sessions. Similarly to "FG," I hope they do a remix of the album. I've always hated how thin and weak "A Go Go" sounds.
    I agree with this too, ant especially for Tata who moved me so in 20 Feet From Stardom! The other wrinkle for me when it comes to these cd's lately is that they are extremely hard to find IN STORES. I have one record store within a 20 mile radius where I was lucky enough to find The Marvelettes Forever More 2 compilation. The only other Hip-O releases I saw there were Diana Ross: Expanded Edition, Tammi Terrell's Come on and See Me and The Supremes' Let Yourself Go. Now, we all know when these came out, don't we? Guess what? I've been in that record store many times since then and guess what else? Those copies are STILL THERE! You can't tell me they were such hits that this rinky dinky mom-and-pop store out in the suburbs decided to order more copies! The last think I want to see is those in the cutout bin because no one would buy them!

I binged on Hip-O releases for years however, when the Mary Wells and Jackson 5 "Lost And Found" stuff came out not too long ago, I took a deep breath and decided to go digital. Just a few months earlier I purchased the Eddie Kendricks and David Ruffin stuff in digital because I didn't want to fork over the near $600 to buy them "out of print" on Amazon. The bonus for me with Mary Wells/J5 were the digital booklets! Now, I'm a computer person by trade and have been for almost 20 years. I used to make my own CDs from iTunes [[complete with covers!) back in the day. I think it's awesome that we can even do a whole booklet if we want! As much as I love seeing those gems on my bookshelf, I'm really not complaining about the lack of space over there.

That being said, as far as tangible CDs go, moving forward, I'll only be ordering online and getting physical copies for Diana Ross/The Supremes. Sure there'll be a gap where "Funny Girl" coulda been BUT given that it sold roughly 200K copies 46 years ago, I'm cool with it only existing on my iPhone and computer. I kind of wish I had made the same decision with the Country and Liverpool albums which *talk about rush jobs* were total doozies for me, particularly the last!

Once again, Thank you ANDY, Thank you GEORGE, Thank you HARRY and a super duper thank you to Diana, Cindy and MARY!!! I'm so glad this has found it's way into my collection PERIOD [[minus my old LP). As someone who fancies Diana's underrated interpretive skills [[and even wrote a college thesis on it 20 years ago!), these recordings are truly the higher level "bricks" of the very foundation that blossomed during and after "Lady"!

Contacting Universal/Motown is not a waste of time. Harry himself has encouraged folks to write in to UM. Harry has been VERY responsive in the past. He's replied to several of my emails and once even contacted me by phone. He may not be the ultimate "decider" when it comes to releases, he still has a lot of influence and has been very responsive to what the fans want and have requested.
    I never got a response to my e-mails. or via Twitter - I have pretty much given up. Maybe I didn't have the correct e-mail addresses?

to me the most important thing is to 1) get as much out of the motown vault as possible and 2) updated and superior quality of mixing and track "cleanup" so the music sounds as great as possible.
    That's not what they do in most cases. When an album is remastered, they use the existing mixes and EQ them, and adjust the levels. No mixing is involved.

I never got a response to my e-mails. or via Twitter - I have pretty much given up. Maybe I didn't have the correct e-mail addresses?
    The best way to get a response from corporate executives is still an old-fashioned handwritten letter sent by snail mail.

"A` Go-Go" would be really good if those awful LA tracks have a Funk Bros. version included.

Have to go with the flow? I'm sorry, but if I don't want a product then I simply wont buy it. I have no interest whatsoever in digital, while I love buying CDs ...
    Well, CDs are digital!

I understand what you all mean, though. Most downloads are lossy. They literally do not contain all of the sound that is on the master. And, what is available for "most" people doesn't have a high enough bit-rate to satisfy. And, you do not get artwork or liner notes.

Unfortunately, that is enough for "most" people. Not people who care about audio.

The problem isn't the record companies. The problem is with the "digital" stores like iTunes. They say what level of quality they want to sell. The bad news is that even sales of digital music files is dropping because "average" people just stream music, which means the same questionable sound, AND you don't own the music at all. It could be pulled and there will be nothing the listener can do about it. The GOOD news is that hi-rez downloads are becoming more popular. It will probably never be more than a niche unless iTunes stars selling them too.

Dear US friends,

How much you wants to go with the flow, you can´t do that if you are not living in USA. We on the other side of the "pond" can´t download Funny Girl. really sad. Hope that Universal will start to understand that we are many Motown fans outside the US boarders that will listen to the Motown Music !!!

Quote Originally Posted by pubbis View Post
    Dear US friends,

How much you wants to go with the flow, you can´t do that if you are not living in USA. We on the other side of the "pond" can´t download Funny Girl. really sad. Hope that Universal will start to understand that we are many Motown fans outside the US boarders that will listen to the Motown Music !!!
    I`m sure that this will be available on 7 digital in the very near future.

I look forward to all the ross /supremes releases.
    agreed, wish all the tracks from GO GO had the funk brothers on them

Great news that A GO GO is finally getting the royal treatment. Just to add to the side-issue here, this CD vs. download reminds me of the discussions when the CD was introduced in the late 1980s. Many [[at least of my friends) hated the CD, arguing that CDs sounded too mechanical and that vinyl had a much deeper "authentic" sound. And as an object to collect, the CD was/is definitely inferior to the large album cover with inner sleeve. I guess we got used to that. Good thing about downloads is that it actually brought back vinyl!

As for A GO GO, that is really my personal favorite album. Although it is not the best artistically [[IMHO), I think it is the most fun album, because it is a dance record. Some songs may be better than others, but you can play it throughout without ever losing the party vibe. It's just FUN FUN FUN, like good pop should be, which is emphasized by the fun cover. Most take-out tracks seemed to fit the album well, particularly Can I Get A Witness and Satisfaction. The only one that does not seem to fit is Uptight.

I'm very excited to hear this! A lot of songs on this album had single potential. This Old Heart could've been a smash if promoted correctly. I also like Mary's cover of Come And Get These Memories. Just curious, but is Diana on that track? I can't hear her on there.

I am so incredibly excited to get an expanded release of A Go Go.

So.Incredibly.Excited.

I can't wait to see what Andy, George and Harry come up with this time. Alternate vocals to LILAIIMH? Enhanced background vocals on YCHL? Doesn't matter what it is... I've never been disappointed.

Motown Queen I like Mary Wilsons version of Memories as well. I love Martha but I never liked that song but when Mary did it I changed my mind. Thanks Guys for getting A Go Go out in an Expanded Way.

To me, digital is even worse then cassettes.
    Why would that ever be the case? And does everyone realize that the music on CDs is in a digital format already? CDs are digital - records/tapes are analog. Just checking...

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    Why would that ever be the case? And does everyone realize that the music on CDs is in a digital format already? CDs are digital - records/tapes are analog. Just checking...
    I have to agree here. Tapes have terrible "tape hiss", records [[my favorite media), get scratched incessantly and CDs will degrade and peel. MP3 files do none of this. Yes you can't hold them in your hand, but I really don't understand the wall of resistance. Media formats change. I remember the horror, the horror, I tell you, about the fact that CDs were "too small to read the liner notes". And tapes didn't allow instant acess to a song like LPs and on and on. It's not the end of the world, really, it's not.

other songs, COME ON AND SEE ME/ JUST A MISUNDERSTANDING/ MOTHER DEAR 3rd version/IN MY LONELY ROOM
    Last edited by daviddh; 04-30-2014 at 09:29 PM.

A lot of people think PONO is going to revolutionize and "fix" the digital quality issue:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pono_%2...sic_service%29

I have a lot of digital music so I made a small investment in an iStreamer:
    http://www.hirestech.com/product/?pid=87
    http://www.amazon.com/HRT-iSTREAMER-.../dp/B004H5UYLO
    My iPod plays through it and, just as it claims, it "makes the music coming out of your iPad, iPhone, or iPod sound dramatically better when connected to a music entertainment system in either a home/office setting or in a vehicle." I can really hear the difference especially if the original bit rate is low...

As for A-GO-GO - I'm am SO excited! This has long been one of my favorite LPs and I can't wait to hear it remastered and to check out all the rare/new stuff to come! In my dream world there are other versions of "Baby, I Need Your Lovin'" - to this Supremes/music fan there are no sweeter or better 28 seconds in the history of recorded music than the section from 2:22 - 2:50! [[click here or below to see what I mean) Just the girls and some great rhythm & percussion...sheer pop heaven for my money!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlGH...tailpage#t=140
    Last edited by ejluther; 05-01-2014 at 07:46 AM.

The big question on the A Go Go release is..... will the A Go Go be in green or blue? I always wondered why they changed the coloring of the LP.