[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Another favourite ..."Blackmail"

I like quite a few Bobby Taylor Motown tracks..but was very disappointed wit the anthology double CD....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSiN8GOyrx8

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Another favourite ..."Blackmail"

I like quite a few Bobby Taylor Motown tracks..but was very disappointed wit the anthology double CD....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSiN8GOyrx8
    They never do a good and comprehensive release on Bobby Taylor and many of the other very talent, but less celebrated artists from Motown. It sucks!

Now this song "Blackmail" has the "true" late 60's Motown Sound that was so very popular regionally speaking and by that I mean North Central, Great Lakes, Detroit, Windsor, Toledo, Cleveland and Ontario Canada. This is the type of song that got radio play on the stations covering that area. Most have probably never heard much of Bobby & the Vancouvers work.

not sure I understand you there

the anthology pulled together ALL his tracks...nothing wrong wit the CD...it just that the vaulted tracks were not as good as "One Girl", "So this is love", "Malinda" etc IMHO

They never do a good and comprehensive release on Bobby Taylor and many of the other very talent, but less celebrated artists from Motown. It sucks!

Motown UK , and Ace / Kent have done Motown proud over the last ten years or so...with a few exceptions

Still waiting for The Originals to be fully covered.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post

Motown UK , and Ace / Kent have done Motown proud over the last ten years or so...with a few exceptions

Still waiting for The Originals to be fully covered.
    I'd like to see more on the Originals, Jimmy Ruffin and Edwin Starr.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I'd like to see more on the Originals, Jimmy Ruffin and Edwin Starr.
    Agree on the Originals and Edwin Starr [[the latter is crying out for a proper retrospective!), but Jimmy had a fantastic 2CD Spectrum Motown anthology a few years ago, in the same series as Bobby Taylor's.

I recently saw Malinda posted on fb by someone who called it "unknown Motown", haha, I guess it's relative to time/place because it was well-known and frequently heard in the SF Bay Area, as were other songs off that BT&V Lp. BTW, "Does Your Mama.." began as...
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  85.3 KB

And I love that 2-CD Bobby Taylor set, which really shows his versatility. One of my favorites off that set is his marvelous take on "In Other Words[[Fly Me To The Moon)". The only song I'm missing is his version of "The Bells"

Quote Originally Posted by sunshineonacloudyday View Post
    I recently saw Malinda posted on fb by someone who called it "unknown Motown", haha, I guess it's relative to time/place because it was well-known and frequently heard in the SF Bay Area, as were other songs off that BT&V Lp. BTW, "Does Your Mama.." began as...
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  85.3 KB
    That is strange becaues it was very well known in Detroit. We use to sing it as kids.

sunshineonacloudyday, where'd you find those pics of that master recording?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    sunshineonacloudyday, where'd you find those pics of that master recording?
    From my collection

From my collection
    Nice.....................!!!!

Marv, do you know where I can find "The Bells" on CD? I think it may have been prev unissued.

Marv, do you know where I can find "The Bells" on CD? I think it may have been prev unissued.
    I'm sorry at the moment I do not, but if I come across it, I will send you a private message with the details, cool?

Great, thanks!

Do you mean "Baby I`m For Real" [[The Bells), if so It is on "Motown Sings Motown Treasures Vol 1 & 2".

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Do you mean "Baby I`m For Real" [[The Bells), if so It is on "Motown Sings Motown Treasures Vol 1 & 2".
    Wow, thanks Roger! Ordered! I thought I had it on one of the 'Cellarful' CDs, was just looking for it last week to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Good work Roger and thanks!

The pleasure is all mine!

Tommy Chong and Wes Henderson were part of a band from Vancouver called Little Daddy and The Bachelors, before a changing line up and hook up with Bobby Taylor morphed into Bobby Taylor and The Vancouvers. Tommy Chong's guitar lead was an important part of the first album.... you can hear more of his lead guitar on this record of Little Daddy and The Bachelors....... spot the similarity in style and tone?

here's The Bells by Bobby and The Vancouvers....

I read in wikipedia that Malinda was written by Rick James but he wasn't given credit because he was basically "on the lam" during that time. I've also seen where others are credited for this song. Anyone have a definite answer / source on this?

I only heard "Does Your Mama Know About Me" on the Soul stations in Florida. I only heard "Malinda" after playing a promo copy at the local record store. Then when I purchased a LIVE LP that had a Live version of "Malinda" on it.

Malinda [[William Robinson-Al Cleveland-Terry Johnson) published Jobete 15-Jun-68
    Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers; recorded Hitsville-GW, completed 03-Jun-68 ; produced by Smokey Robinson, A