[REMOVE ADS]

Barbara Randolph Collection and Motown...

Because of an article I read in an English newspaper I bought the Barbara Randolph Collection and was stunned by the CD. It is unbelievable that she did not become a star at Motown and that there was very little released on her. First of all, she was absolutely gorgeous almost a Lena Horne type and she could truly sing. "I Gotta Feeling" [[which was released) and her versions of "I'll Turn to Stone," "I'm a Road Runner," and the Supremes "Bah, Bah, Bah" are wonderful and she clearly could have been a star at Motown.

There is the legend that she was the first person that Berry Gordy wanted to replace Florence Ballard but Randolph was vetoed by Diana Ross because of her beauty, and she was beautiful!!! Does anyone know anymore about this lost Motown diamond? It appears that the English Northern Soul contingent are big fans of hers. I believe she passed in 2002.

RossHolloway Guest
    I thought the rumor was that Ross rejected Randolph because Randolph and Gordy were an item. I have this cd too, I wonder if there are any more tracks in the vault on her. I like her track You're Really out done yourself and Road Runner.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    I thought the rumor was that Ross rejected Randolph because Randolph and Gordy were an item. I have this cd too, I wonder if there are any more tracks in the vault on her. I like her track You're Really out done yourself and Road Runner.
    I bought the Barbara Randolph Collection on Amazon. Here is the track listing. It seems there were a lot of cuts in the vault. She sounds terrific a bit more soulful than other Motown divas.

Track Listing
    1. I Got a Feeling [[Single Version)
    1. I Got a Feeling
    2. You Got Me Hurtin' All Over [[Single Version)
    2. You Got Me Hurtin' All Over
    3. Can I Get a Witness [[Single Version)
    3. Can I Get a Witness
    4. Bah Bah Bah
    5. Another Day Another Way
    5. Another Way Another Day
    6. Chained
    7. It's Got to Be a Miracle [[This Thing Called Love)
    8. Baby Don't You Do It
    9. It's Not Necessary
    10. I'll Turn to Stone
    11. I'm So Thankful
    12. I'm a Roadrunner
    12. [[I'm A) Roadrunner
    13. The Look of Love
    14. Why Fight It
    15. What's Easy For Two Is So Hard For One
    16. Why Did You Run Away
    17. When It Rains It Pours
    18. You Finally Outdone Yourself

As far as the Diana rumor, it came up in almost every article I found on the internet when I was researching Ms. Randolph

RossHolloway Guest
    I forgot about her cut of It's Got To Be A Miracle. She does an excellent version of that song.

I believe that Barbara appeared as Marvin Gaye`s duet partner after the tragic loss of Tammi Terrell.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    I believe that Barbara appeared as Marvin Gaye`s duet partner after the tragic loss of Tammi Terrell.
    Yes, as also did Brenda Holloway and in a more limited fashion, Ann Bogan.

Quote Originally Posted by cleoharvey View Post
    As far as the Diana rumor, it came up in almost every article I found on the internet when I was researching Ms. Randolph
    First, thanks for bringing up Barbara Randolph. I hadn't listened to her cd in quite a while and it was so refreshing to hear it again. Second, I don't think she would have made a good replacement for Florence Ballard. Her voice doesn't seem to have the upper soprano register that Flo had which added so much to their mix. It would seem to me that would be the reason for her being passed by rather than her looks or Diana's reaction to her. Cindy was a much better fit even though she didn't have quite the rioght sound either - but she was much, much closer.

I remember seeing a record by Barbara Randolph on Lee Hazlewood's LHI label.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I remember seeing a record by Barbara Randolph on Lee Hazlewood's LHI label.
    She also appeared in a few films, didn't she? She has a brief role in "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" where she's one of the maids in the house and dances with a delivery guy.

I agree, the CD is excellent. It was thrilling to find she had so much talent. I'd only her her one single "I Got a Feeling" on one of the 16 Big Hits albums, so hearing her do all that additional material was a revelation.

I think if any more Motown material had been discovered at the time, it would have found its way onto the anthology.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    She also appeared in a few films, didn't she? She has a brief role in "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" where she's one of the maids in the house and dances with a delivery guy.

I agree, the CD is excellent. It was thrilling to find she had so much talent. I'd only her her one single "I Got a Feeling" on one of the 16 Big Hits albums, so hearing her do all that additional material was a revelation.
    As a child actress, she also appeared in the 50s film BRIGHT ROAD with Harry Belafonte and Dorothy Dandridge.

I bought her collection a while ago because I always loved I GOT A FEELING. For the most part I enjoy the collection, although I find the songs less interesting as the cd goes on.

Re her Motown days, I think Barbara forgot that she had recorded so much. In a few interviews, she had been quoted as saying that she was fortunate she only recorded a few titles for the label because artists had to pay for their own recording costs. So it was a surprise to many that she had so much unreleased material.

I have recently looked into Barbara and I am LOVING her music from what I can hear from online previews and the like. It is however very frustrating that her Motown Collection album is not on iTunes!! Arg!!! LOL