[REMOVE ADS]

View Poll Results: Will you be purchasing the dgital-only download of "Funny Girl"?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I'm the greatest star!

20 44.44%
  • No! Life ain't so funny, Funny Girl.

25 55.56%

Digital Download Release of Diana Ross and the Supremes "Funny Girl"

My apologies; the correct question should read:

Will you be purchasing the digital download release of "Funny Girl"?

Not sure where that spelling of "digital" came from. Fat fingers? LOL.
    Last edited by marybrewster; 04-21-2014 at 01:49 PM.

I will be purchasing but it is disappointing there will be no physical release, especially after all of our loyal support. Some of the stuff that we've seen receive physical releases through Hip-O Select makes me laugh. It's like there's some kind of political game going on at the company...whichever exec has the most influence, get's to have their "wishlist" fulfilled and have their projects "green lighted". It doesn't make sense. I know there has to be a fan base that can generate sales of at least 5,000. I know that the numbers have decreased over the years, but to suggest that these releases cannot even turn 5,000 copies is ridiculous. Almost every Dionne Warwick album has been reissued on CD two times or more in the last 10 years. Why not The Supremes and Diana Ross [[solo)?

No plans to purchase, if only because everything I have is on CD and vinyl.

No experience of downloads, but my understanding is that, to date, they generally have inferior sound quality. I may as well play my vinyl copy on the turntable. Or...listen to the 'new' versions on You-Tube.....

So, Mary........ are you 'yes' - or 'no'....?

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I will be purchasing but it is disappointing there will be no physical release, especially after all of our loyal support. Some of the stuff that we've seen receive physical releases through Hip-O Select makes me laugh. It's like there's some kind of political game going on at the company...whichever exec has the most influence, get's to have their "wishlist" fulfilled and have their projects "green lighted". It doesn't make sense. I know there has to be a fan base that can generate sales of at least 5,000. I know that the numbers have decreased over the years, but to suggest that these releases cannot even turn 5,000 copies is ridiculous. Almost every Dionne Warwick album has been reissued on CD two times or more in the last 10 years. Why not The Supremes and Diana Ross [[solo)?
    Carlo has hit the nail on the head. It is clear there is political gamesmanship occurring. Everything is not based on economics.

Example 1: Where is BABY IT'S ME?

Example 2: Where is an official Motown user friendly website ADVERTISING releases?

Example 3: Fans have been clamoring for Gladys Knight releases for years, i.e., a veteran star who still performs regularly, even on Dancing With the Stars. Also, Thelma Houston.

On and on....

I voted no. If Universal can't give us a cd after I have bought all the previous expanded editions this makes me very sad.

No, I already have it on CD.

smark21 Guest
    I voted No because the music from Funny Girl doesn't interest me. But if it were an album I was interested in, I'd buy a download.

Unfortunately, as much as I love the expanded editions and rereleases, I will not be purchasing any of the MP3 only releases. MP3 don't have the same audio range or durability as a physical product. Just doesn't do it for me. A big disappointment - especially when it is so inexpensive to run a few thousand copies off. Andy, George, and crew...this doesn't do your hard work justice. You deserve better

The only download albums I've bought were the two Workshop Jazz compilations, and only because the material wasn't available any other way. I would rather rip my vinyl copy of "Funny Girl" to a CD myself, as opposed to buying the download from Hip-O. I'm a 'no.'

Marybrewster, are people voting 'no' because it's digital only and they wanted cd - or 'no' because they're not interested in the music?

Perhaps it needs another poll...something like

Would you prefer to purchase this album as
    1. CD
    2.Digital only

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    Marybrewster, are people voting 'no' because it's digital only and they wanted cd - or 'no' because they're not interested in the music?

Perhaps it needs another poll...something like

Would you prefer to purchase this album as
    1. CD
    2.Digital only
    Good point. Although after reading the many posts and different threads on this topic, I would venture to guess that it's more about how it's being released, than the release itself. Wouldn't you all agree? There are many completists here and after starting their Expanded collections, want to finish it. Unfortunately it doesn't look like that will ever happen. Such a shame.

NO to the download.

NO! I will never buy a download album, especially by an artist that I have collected the releases from for years. Give me a CD and I'll buy it in a second. Until then, I will just listen to my LP, thank you very much.

There is no way that the cost would be so much to put this out on CD that it can't be done. There are loads of artists that are seeing their older work coming out on CD [[especially in the UK), and since the early works of Diana and The Supremes has already started to come out on CD in deluxe editions, thinking that the majority of the fans will all of sudden switch to downloads is just stupid. It's about the sound quality, yes - but it's also about the fact that there are die hard collectors out there that want physical copies and have no need for some crappy MP3s. You'd think they are trying to sell this album to 20 year olds who have never heard or owned a copy of Funny Girl!

I do hope that this will sell very badly. Trying to force the fans to switch to a much inferior format of the back catalog is an insult to the people that have bought countless releases through the years. Giving people a choice between a CD or a download would be the right thing to do. If this does not sell well I hope that the ones in charge will seriously rethink how they are going to sell the back catalog in the future!

No, will not buy download format. End of story.

Ive bought every deluxe re-issue and feel real cheated that I have supported the cause and im now expected to have gaps in my collection because someone sees fit to start releasing download only formats...yes some fans have wanted this for years but what a kick in the teeth to be told its finally coming...but your going to get it this way.

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    yes some fans have wanted this for years but what a kick in the teeth to be told its finally coming...but your going to get it this way.
    Yeah, it's sort of like your parents telling you that you're gonna get a pony for your Birthday and then they give you a stuffed pony.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Yeah, it's sort of like your parents telling you that you're gonna get a pony for your Birthday and then they give you a stuffed pony.
    LOL.

I'll probably still get it.

Will print and all that.

On official CD I absolutely would buy - on download, no chance.

I'm ok with it, if this is the only way this album will be released then , I'm ok . plus ,everytime there was a supremes release I had to go all over town to find it. it's was annoying

I'll take what i can get,i'm in,i'll download Diana Ross and The Supremes Funny Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    I'll take what i can get,i'm in,i'll download Diana Ross and The Supremes Funny Girl.
    Yes, I am disappointed Funny Girl is digital-only, but also, yes I excited and will purchase this collection. Knowing from past experience the work of Andy, George and Harry, I am confident I will be satisfied. The 2014 bonus mixes are enough to peak my interest. Plus, I am absolutely positive the quality will be superior to the LP I purchased from a record store cutout bin in 1979!

One factor that has lead to even greater disappointment is that J. Randy Taraborrelli, as an official [[adjunct) representative of UMe [[having proclaimed publicly on television that he wrote the liner notes essay for this edition) also announced this was going to be a physical cd release- a special gift to Diana Ross on the occasion of her 70th birthday.
    Once the official announcement was made, one might think that UMe and Mr. Taraborrelli would want to do the honorable thing- to do whatever it could to offer this release both in download and cd formats.

smark21 Guest
    Perhaps one should assume that J. Randy was just talking out of his ass when he made that announcement. I used to follow him on Facebook until the Conrad Murray trial and he just lost touch with reality playing to Michael Jackson's crazy fans. It's best to approach him with a healthy dose of skepticism.

I have no interest in the album whatsoever. So, my answer is no!

"Funny Girl" was the only Supremes' studio album I didn't get on vinyl, so I was intending to buy it on CD to complete my physical collection. I won't consider buying it on download unless there are previously unreleased tracks included.

I've just seen the track listing on the other thread. The remixes and live tracks don't excite me that much, but I haven't made a final decision yet.

Strangely, I was happy enough that the Unreleased Motown 1962 and 1963 tracks were for download only but an iconic group like the Supremes deserves better.
    Last edited by 144man; 04-23-2014 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Learnt track listing.

45 votes thus far.....

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    "Funny Girl" was the only Supremes' studio album I didn't get on vinyl, so I was intending to buy it on CD to complete my physical collection. I won't consider buying it on download unless there are previously unreleased tracks included.

I've just seen the track listing on the other thread. The remixes and live tracks don't excite me that much, but I haven't made a final decision yet.

Strangely, I was happy enough that the Unreleased Motown 1962 and 1963 tracks were for download only but an iconic group like the Supremes deserves better.
    I was totally with you until I found out that the tracks that Gordy added a chorus to would have the chorus removed, featuring just Cindy and Mary. If for no other reason, I might have to check it out.

Am still hoping this will some day get a proper, physical release.

I was very confused by the existence of a poll with nowhere for me to vote, but it turns out, the poll has ended, so I am not being actively and purposefully denied my democratic rights, PHEW

By the way I would have voted ‘no’ to buying this album in any format, it does not interest me at all really, soz

No. Poll is closed, but I'd rather see releases of original Motown songs - not showtunes.

the funny girl lp sold poorly dont think it would have done well as a physical release

FG charted higher than "Meet the Supremes" and several of the Supremes/Tops duet albums, all of which have been released on CD. To my knowledge it's the ONLY album of the Diana era yet to have a physical treatment.

It was beautifully expanded a few years ago; why not press a few copies as a limited edition?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    FG charted higher than "Meet the Supremes" and several of the Supremes/Tops duet albums, all of which have been released on CD. To my knowledge it's the ONLY album of the Diana era yet to have a physical treatment.

It was beautifully expanded a few years ago; why not press a few copies as a limited edition?
    Don’t forget the G.I.T. soundtrack as well.

E.T.A.: MOTOWN AT THE HOLLYWOOD PALACE, though not solely a DRATS affair, has never had a domestic digital release either, as far as I’m aware.
    Last edited by sansradio; 03-28-2018 at 03:08 AM.

No, in any form.

I realize many don't care for this album. It wasn't a big seller then and perhaps wouldn't be a spectacular seller today. But it is a piece of the puzzle, if you will, and the Supremes / DRATS discography is incomplete without it. I also think it has the potential for a more universal appeal: fans of Diana, fans of the DRATS, fans of Broadway/showtunes, and perhaps even fans of Babs, if only out of curiosity.

My guess is that even if the DRATS fans didn't particularly care for it, they'd still buy if for their collections, and to hopefully finish the puzzle. I'd be the first one to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I realize many don't care for this album. It wasn't a big seller then and perhaps wouldn't be a spectacular seller today. But it is a piece of the puzzle, if you will, and the Supremes / DRATS discography is incomplete without it. I also think it has the potential for a more universal appeal: fans of Diana, fans of the DRATS, fans of Broadway/showtunes, and perhaps even fans of Babs, if only out of curiosity.

My guess is that even if the DRATS fans didn't particularly care for it, they'd still buy if for their collections, and to hopefully finish the puzzle. I'd be the first one to buy.
    I love the album and would buy a physical release in a heartbeat.