[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Brenda and The Velvelettes in London last night....and Miracles question

I just had to post and say what a great performance all the ladies gave last night.

Having not seen The Velvelettes live before [[except meeting them at the Motown 50 bash in Detroit), I was amazed by their polished performance. Those backing vocals were something else. Cal did a great job on every track too. "Nowhere To Run" never sounded better [[sorry Martha).

For my money, The Velvelettes are now the best [[and easily the most authentic) of any 1960s Motown group still performing. So "the boy from x town" was right all along.

And to my Miracles question.....during the DJ warm-up lots of good stuff was played. Including Shop Around by the Miracles. But the version played was not the original Detroit mix or the later hit version that you get on most compilations. The version played sounded like a different take of the hit version. Can anyone enlighten me as to what LP/CD/45 this was played from?

Ed

Hi Ed and I am so pleased you enjoyed the show.

The Velvelettes told me it was their first EVER performance when they did not open as a support act. That was gratifying to hear...even if it has taken 50 years!

Brenda did a great finale with I'll Keep Holding On and it was fun to see her sing from a lyric sheet. Did you know she has 4 children and 17 grandchildren!

I wasn't able to hear the music backstage but could it be a version of Shop Around that is available on the 35th Anniversary set that was played?

supremester Guest
    I would love to have been there. I've never seen either act and I especially would love to see Brenda. You guys are lucky!

Thank you to the guys who posted their videos on youtube.

smark21 Guest
    Love the performance of I'll Keep Holding On, a Motown song that should be played live more often as that song is one that just defines the Motown sound at its most exciting and dynamic.

Brenda left the lyric sheet behind on the table.....when I looked again, it was gone!!!

Love the videos, Tbfxt. I'LL KEEP HOLDING ON & NOWHERE TO RUN. Just great that they did these two gems. And made them sparkle so brilliantly. Thanks so much for posting.

In their twilight time here are the Velvelettes

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Love the videos, Tbfxt. I'LL KEEP HOLDING ON & NOWHERE TO RUN. Just great that they did these two gems. And made them sparkle so brilliantly. Thanks so much for posting.
    The Velvelettes - Twilight Time - Live in London 2014 [[Motown): youtu.be/4b5dZ3qdzi4?a via @YouTube

More to follow

Lester - That rendition is just wonderful. Thank you so much for posting it.

NOTE: I had some problems with the link in the post above; this other one I'm supplying here isn't working perfectly either but it'll get you to the YouTube page; as Lester's link shows, you want the TWILIGHT TIME that's marked LIVE IN LONDON 2014 [[MOTOWN):

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...me+velvelettes

The blend of The Velvelettes' voices on this one is just terrific. Really gets to me. Thanks again Lester. This is a beaut!
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 04-20-2014 at 03:26 AM.

Lester - That rendition is just wonderful. Thank you so much for posting it.

NOTE: I had some problems with the link in the post above; this other one I'm supplying here isn't working perfectly either but it'll get you to the YouTube page; as Lester's link shows, you want the TWILIGHT TIME that's marked LIVE IN LONDON 2014 [[MOTOWN):

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...me+velvelettes

The blend of The Velvelettes' voices on this one is just terrific. Really gets to me. Thanks again Lester. This is a beaut!
    Here is another this time Brenda Holloway's Reconsider

http://youtu.be/aVxcbHIFAIA

Pretty brilliant don't you think

WOW...these clips are just awesome...I wish I had gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    WOW...these clips are just awesome...I wish I had gone now.
    Here's another video from the Motown Revue, this is a great LIVE version of Nowhere To Run by The Velvelettes. Yes THE VELVELETTES

http://youtu.be/j8iPnbHi5Rc

Great version too

Lester - Brenda's RECONSIDER is just sensational! She works it just right, puts everything into it, and does some dance moves that no one else does quite like Brenda. She will always be a star.

Here it is, I always loved this song !

What a great night - weekend, an absolutely amazing show in every way. I can honestly say that this was the best performance I have ever seen from either Cal, Norma, Milly and Bertha or Brenda. Friday night went by in such a spin the show was over far too quickly but i do remember thinking that if the Velvelettes had been given Nowhere To Run as their single back in the day they could easily have had the massive hit with it. Spot on note for note and the girls looked every inch the stars they are. Brenda could sing the telephone book and make it sound like heaven and her version of I'll Keep Holding On underlined that theory. I didn't get to bed that night until 4am sitting up talking with The Boy from Xtown and the their girls and various old friends we met up with on the night. The Velvelettes declared themselves originals on the night but were surprised to realise they are the only surviving all original lineup Motown group from the 60's - how amazing is that? Hopefully they'll all be back over here soon for another gig, Brenda tells me that she is lined up for the David Guest show later in the year.

Brenda is also appearing in Spain in July.

HUGE thank you's to Lester for posting the fantastic clips......and as an aside, I have to tell you he has an autograph book to die for!!!

Lester

Was you able to capture the Velvelettes singing The Boy From Crosstown!

Quote Originally Posted by wichmanne View Post

And to my Miracles question.....during the DJ warm-up lots of good stuff was played. Including Shop Around by the Miracles. But the version played was not the original Detroit mix or the later hit version that you get on most compilations. The version played sounded like a different take of the hit version. Can anyone enlighten me as to what LP/CD/45 this was played from?

Ed
    With the release of The Miracles' "Depend On Me-The Early Albums" collection from 2009, we found out that there were three versions of 'Shop Around' released in 1960; the first two were regional [[Detroit only) releases in Sept. 1960 and the third pressing is the "hit" version that we all know and love. What you heard at the concert is probably the "first regional version" that was included on the "Depend On Me" set.

Motown Eddie

From what I could see, the DJ's were only playing from vinyl. I saw them backstage with their record boxes but I didn't see any CD's. I guess they must have made a a vinyl rip.

Lester..thank you so much...I cant believe how good both acts sound...I shall be listening to the Anthology cd again thanks to you...and im sure I will I will be listening with new ears...thank you.

supremester Guest
    Thanks for sharing these - just great.

Listen to the crowd singing

Absolute perfection of a video!

NEEDLE has always been one of my favorites. A simply great tune. And to hear The Velvelettes singing it with such style and verve and in such wonderful voice so many years later is really a joyous moment--but a moment that will continue to re-play in my head. What's so noteworthy about the audience singing along is the joy they're feeling and the love they have for The Velvelettes. The Motortown Revue LIVES! And this video has captured it in all its glory--glory past, glory clearly still present, and, no doubt, future. Tbfxt, this is a sensational posting. Thank you so much!

Can you believe that apart from Cal, all the ladies are over 70

BTW, Cal is including in her dancing some of the original steps and hand movements from their 1964 days

Check out the arm movements and leg kick from the line "Look before you leap.."
    Last edited by theboyfromxtown; 04-21-2014 at 12:51 PM.

Absolute perfection of a video!

NEEDLE has always been one of my favorites. A simply great tune. And to hear The Velvelettes singing it with such style and verve and in such wonderful voice so many years later is really a joyous moment--but a moment that will continue to re-play in my head. What's so noteworthy about the audience singing along is the joy they're feeling and the love they have for The Velvelettes. The Motortown Revue LIVES! And this video has captured it in all its glory--glory past, glory clearly still present, and, no doubt, future. Tbfxt, this is a sensational posting. Thank you so much!
    I am so pleased you enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    No! These songs are well done and they look great, especially when you factor in age.

Brenda is the hottest grandmother Ive ever seen! I believe she is 68.

Brenda relaxing after the show
    Attached Images Attached Images  

And the Velvelettes on stage
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Brenda relaxing after the show
    There is also Milly with her back to us talking to a couple of fans....father and son

Wonderful shots Paul. Brenda looks so beautiful. As do The Velvelettes. That one's a live CD cover photo if ever there was one. Great work.

supremester Guest
    I must thank you again. I and some friends have been rocking to these clips for 2 nights in a row. It's SO great to see Brenda doing so well, and The V's as well. I love what they are wearing, how they sound and that they close with a faithful rendition of I'll Keep Holding On. Just perfect!

TYTYTYTYTY!!!!!!!!

You are right. The version that was played is definitely one of the regional versions on the Depend On Me set. Having listened to the CD afresh, I reckon it was the "Second Regional AKA Slow Version".

Thanks so much. I thought for a minute I was missing some early Miracles which was a real worry!

And thanks also to all those who recorded the Velvelettes/Brenda at the gig. It's nice to relive such a great concert.

RossHolloway Guest
    WoW, that was something! Brenda and the Velvelettes both sounded really good, strong and clear voices and it looked like they were both having fun. Thanks to those who shared their videos. Wish I could have been there.

Also from the show:

The Velvelettes/LONELY LONELY GIRL AM I

http://youtu.be/FNV8J92wDUc

Thanks to Dominic McLeman for this YouTube posting.

RossHolloway Guest
    Does anyone know if Brenda performed Cryin Time?

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Does anyone know if Brenda performed Cryin Time?
    Yes, she did.

The first song from the ladies

Those are 2 more great captures of the show, Tbfxt. Thanks so much for posting. The Velvelettes were in top form, no doubt about it. They made real effort to re-produce their material like that of the original recordings--and it was the perfect way to go. Magnificent! What a treat!
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 04-25-2014 at 08:25 AM.

She can say that.........but no one will ever believe it! The Velvelettes RULE!!!!!

MODSTOCK’S TAMLA MOTOWN REVUE STARRING BRENDA HOLLOWAY & THE VELVELETTES – THE VENUE, LONDON, 18 APRIL 2014
    Published: 7 May 2014
    Created By: Sharon Davis About Sharon
    BRENDA HOLLOWAY
    Excitement was overwhelming; Brenda, Cal, Norma, Millie and Bertha on one London stage tonight! Wishes do come true, and tonight this Motown Revue was the place to be. Part of The New Untouchables’ Modstock long weekend events, the ballroom was spacious until crammed with all ages, several wearing the distinguished gear attributed to the mod era – the years fell off me I can tell you! – and all intent on having the best time. After a short while, it was show time and the Motown Sound in all its fabulousness was about to start.

Dressed in a shimmering white outfit, and every inch the star, Brenda Holloway strutted on stage with two support singers in tow, to launch into “Just Look What You’ve Done”. Motown’s beautiful, legendary soul diva with lashings of style and sass looked set to provide a red hot set. She sizzled and sang, with plenty of chat. The unrivalled “When I’m Gone” followed; yup, the set was moving, the heat rising. Brenda Holloway was back in town! The fact that she appeared to glance at the lyrics/running order from a nearby music stand was a smidge disconcerting, but, hey, we’d forgive her anything. A short introduction into her version of the Mary Wells’ “Operator” heralded some vocalising issues. A mishap that would be righted. Although the uptempo “Reconsider” was back on the dance track, the usually uplifting “Every Little Bit Hurts” was bruised as it struggled to hit the right soul register, while the magnificent “You’ve Made Me So Very Happy” always guaranteed to stir emotions as the song hits its peak, stumbled in places. I was a bit dismayed that Brenda’s unquestionable talent was a little under par, that the vocal interaction didn’t gell, but she will always be in my top three!

Following a short break, The Velvelettes hit the stage and took over. Wow! Their instant appeal was apparent from the opening notes. The ladies moved, grooved, sang and had fun. And let’s not forget here, they’re of a certain age when most would be lounging in front of the tv of an evening. But, not these gals: they love to party! Plenty of vocal intercourse, choreography and humour, mostly instigated by lead singer Cal. “He Was Really Sayin’ Something” kicked off their act, while “Lonely Lonely Girl Am I” and “A Bird In The Hand [[Is Worth Two In The Bush)” kept the lovely, historical Motown momentum alive. Slowing the pace they sat on stools to sing “Twilight Time”, before dedicating “The Boy From Crosstown” to John Lester who has done, and continues to do, so much to promote The Velvelettes in this country. Well earned praise John! “Everybody Needs Love” led into the spontaneous beat from “These Things Will Keep Me Loving You”. Way to go! The surprise addition of “Nowhere To Run” [[for their sisters at Motown) was quite brilliant, although, of course, Martha still wears the crown. With the beat still ringing in our ears, the stage was then hushed as Cal began a serious chat about the group’s gospel roots…sombre blah blah… before blasting off with vibrantly exciting “Needle In A Haystack”. Hah, wasn’t expecting that. The far reaching Motown beat is so hard to shake off, and while it buzzed around the ballroom, Brenda and her support singers returned to the stage for the spiritual finale “I’ll Keep On Holding On” - and I left to catch the last train to Polegate! Thank you muchly to Rob Bailey, the New Untouchables gang, and all those associated with this fabulous event. Here’s to next year guys!

I have to give a big thank you to to Sharon for her support and to my mate Paul Nixon for making this happen.

What was amazing about this event was that most of the Motown fans I grew up with over the past 40 odd years, were all there. Considering that the average age of the performers on stage was 70 and the audience wasn't far behind.

Slowing the pace they sat on stools to sing “Twilight Time”, before dedicating “The Boy From Crosstown” to John Lester who has done, and continues to do, so much to promote The Velvelettes in this country. Well earned praise John!

I second that motion! Cheers, John

Awww thank you!

I just found a version of "These Things Will Be Loving You" by the Blue Sharks. Pretty solid remake w/ the lead vocalist sounding similar to Cal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tSbO2XZT20

Never heard of the Blue Sharks before. According to Discogs the song was released as a single on the Gran Prix label [[no year listed) from Italy:

http://www.discogs.com/Blue-Sharks-T...elease/5050482