[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

THE SUPREMES, FROM THE 70s Unsung ? Mary Cindy Jean Lynda Scherrie and Susaye

I'm asking all Supremes fans[[like myself) To email, or write TVONE, To let them know, That we would like to see a Unsung on The Supremes, From the 70s,Remember, There was never a group called The 70s Supremes, It's The Supremes from the 70s, Mary Wilson Cindy Birdsong Jean Terrell Lynda Laurence Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene,What a Unsung story that would be, If you agree with me,Let TVONE know how you feel.
    Please stay positive

I agree, RedHot! I sent my message! I hope they do it.

Were the 70's Supremes truly "unsung"? Maybe later groupings didn't achieve their full potential, but out of the gate, they were a very hot act with solid hits.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Were the 70's Supremes truly "unsung"? Maybe later groupings didn't achieve their full potential, but out of the gate, they were a very hot act with solid hits.
    The 70s Supremes are still part of the overall legacy, legend or whatever you want to call it of the Supremes. The 70s groupings may not be as iconic as the original trio, but they are not UNSUNG and definitely not worthy of an episode in my opinion. I say NO!
    There are R&B, blues and soul artists like Syl Johnson and Denise LaSalle who have been making records for over 40 years who are not widely known but truly deserving of the Unsung title.
    Additionally, these Unsung programs are more interested in deeply personal stories of triumph. tragedy and redemption like this week's program on Miki Howard, a spectacular singer with a backstory of heartbreak and a self destructive streak. The Supremes' story [[aside from Flo's story which has been done) has none of this.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 11-02-2010 at 01:44 PM.

That's like asking Richard Street, Damon Harris, Dennis Edwards, Glenn Leonard and Louis Price to make an "Unsung" episode about the '70s Tempts.

Both the Supremes and Temptations were institutions by the mid-1970s. If you joined the group, you were part of its legend and not a separate entity.

If Jean, Lynda, Scherrie and Susaye had formed their own group and released what became "The Supremes songs", I think they had a better chance of being on that show but alas because they joined the legendary Supremes [[which to this day has been linked as the ultimate symbol of the Motown sound due to the legacy left by its original members), I don't think TV-One would touch it.

In fact, I think the Three Degrees and First Choice, who came out of the '70s from Philly [[and the Three Degrees' story also stretches back to the '60s too) were more unsung than the latter versions of the Supremes though I admit they were ignored because Motown was having trouble keeping up with the Joneses.

There's a story to be told,Like why Motown didn't push The Supremes.[[Mary Cindy jean Lynda Scherrei and Susaye)Maybe there's a good reason.
    Was Berry Gordy mad at Mary, Because she wanted Jean, Not Syreeta.Maybe Motown was upset with Mary, Because with Jean and Lynda leaving The Supremes, Some said it was over,not so. Mary regrouped, And called Cindy Birdsong back, With new Supreme Scherrie Payne,And something went wrong, Cindy was gone, And the last Supreme was Susaye Greene.
    THE SUPREMES, from the 70s were great, There's a story. THE SUPREMES UNSUNG.
    Please stay positive

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    There's a story to be told,Like why Motown didn't push The Supremes.[[Mary Cindy jean Lynda Scherrei and Susaye)Maybe there's a good reason.
    Was Berry Gordy mad at Mary, Because she wanted Jean, Not Syreeta.Maybe Motown was upset with Mary, Because with Jean and Lynda leaving The Supremes, Some said it was over,not so. Mary regrouped, And called Cindy Birdsong back, With new Supreme Scherrie Payne,And something went wrong, Cindy was gone, And the last Supreme was Susaye Greene.
    Please stay positive
    Do you have their email address or a link? Could you post it here? Thanks.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    In fact, I think the Three Degrees and First Choice, who came out of the '70s from Philly [[and the Three Degrees' story also stretches back to the '60s too) were more unsung than the latter versions of the Supremes though I admit they were ignored because Motown was having trouble keeping up with the Joneses.

Your right - these should have been super groups - the talent and vocals remain unforgetable.

By definition, yes, the 70's Supremes [[MCS/MSS) were indeed Unsung: Not honored or praised; uncelebrated

Why are posts saying NO and then saying who SHOULD be? Why isn't it a YES, and then who else SHOULD be? It's not like there can only be ONE episode. Ya'll need to get it together and share the love...

I disagree with those who are saying that the 70's Supremes don't qualify for an "Unsung" show. DeBarge was featured on Unsung and they too had a couple of huge hits...just like the other groups and artists who have been featured. The point is that they didn't get the recognition that they deserved. Some people may disagree, but I always felt the 70's era of The Supremes didn't get the recognition they deserved and were always overshadowed by the success achieved by the Diana-led Supremes. No offense, but many people know "Diana Ross" by name, but not as many know "Jean Terrell" or "Scherrie Payne" by name. They had a few big hits in the beginning with "Up the Ladder", "Stoned Love", etc., but as time went on, I think the 70's Supremes got lost in the corporate shuffle, so to speak. They deserve an episode on this show. It would be great if they could do one in conjunction with the release of the Scherrie Payne Years CD set.

There is no such thing as "The 70's Supremes".

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    There is no such thing as "The 70's Supremes".
    We all know that, skooldem. It's a name that is used amongst fans.

Well then you have to admit that asking the network to do an unsung show on THE SUPREMES sounds crazy.

No, it's not crazy. There's no reason why they can't do a show on the 70's era of The Supremes. They did "The Supremes 70's Anthology", "The Supremes 70's Greatest Hits & Rare Classics", etc. The 70's era has had its own compilations. Is that "crazy", skooldem? Mary herself has even said that she has always viewed the 70's era of The Supremes as a different group in itself. While "the 70's Supremes" are still THE SUPREMES, just like the Diana-led Supremes are THE SUPREMES, there has always been a distinction made between the two separate eras in the minds of fans. I myself have even always made this distinction. This is why we sometimes refer to "the 60's Supremes" and "the 70's Supremes". You can feel free to disagree, but I'm not the only one who has this opinion. I don't think it would be unreasonable for them to do an "Unsung" episode on THE 70's SUPREMES.
    Last edited by carlo; 11-04-2010 at 12:31 PM.

...Continuing with my thoughts, The Supremes aren't the only group to have a "lead singer change". Look at other groups, like INXS or Styx...they may have the same name, but in the minds of the fans, due to the lineup change, it's like an entirely new group. I think this is understandable. I'm also a fan of "Ace of Base" [[a group that started in the 90's). Recently they replaced their two lead singers. Everybody now looks at them like they're a new band. The members themselves even acknowledge this. The sound and dynamics are totally different.

That is the reason that The Supremes don't get the respect they deserve. "The Supremes" is ONE group not two. Its a house divided, primarily fueled by the dislike of Diana Ross. Now if someone had suggested a unsung on Jean that would make more sense.

I agree that sometimes the Supremes are "a house divided", but I don't think it's primarily fueled by the dislike of Diana Ross. I can only speak for myself when I say that I love all of The Supremes. However, some fans obviously do not love all The Supremes. I'm pretty sure skooldem that you have a dislike for Mary Wilson? Whether you do or don't is fine. I really don't care [[lol). I think the division started with the fact that all of The Supremes are "individual talents and personalities" working together in a group setting. Each had something to bring to the table, which is why fans tend to have their favourites. Plus, then when you bring all of the group drama into the situation, that creates an even bigger division. Then add in the fact that many fans are simply immature drama queens...then that just adds more fuel to the fire. I myself have always loved their music. I've never been one to "worship" one particular Supreme or say "this one was a perfect angel" and "this one is to blame for all of their troubles". I think that's just stupid and a waste of time. What's happened, happened. It's fun to talk about the drama sometimes, but to take it to a hateful level is fanatical. I don't let any of that stuff get in the way of my love for The Supremes [[Diana, Mary, Flo, Cindy, Jean, Lynda, Scherrie, Susaye...and even Betty and Barbara).
    Last edited by carlo; 11-04-2010 at 01:00 PM.

I dont think an Unsung on the 70's Supremes is a bad idea; I think they fit but probably not quite enough for the producers because they will face the questions being raised here. But they are unsung and to the public, not well known.

Also, I think there is a question on here regarding former members of the Supremes. The FLOS are on Facebook and they were recently in some city, I think New York, performing at a private event. Pictures were posted on Facebook.

Usually, those pictures get posted here by Elegant Soul or Jill Foster; but Elegant seems to have taken his leave from SD.

Carlo...your wrong. I do not dislike Mary Wilson.

My apologies. Ok then. That's great!

topdiva1 Guest
    An Unsung on the post Diana Ross Supremes would be interesting - and is needed - for many people of general interest in Diana Ross and The Supremes - they stopped following the group as it moved on without Diana. Yet they likely still wonder - What Ever Happened To The Supremes?

Or maybe just do a full documentary of their career without "Unsung". Clearly their entire story is enough for three or four HOURS. You actually think a ONE-hour show on one-half of their story would be benefiting their legacy? I think not. LOL

And why would you put it on a show that is documenting well-known legends like the O'Jays and George Clinton!?!

LMAO! Clearly TV-One lost the plot when they first did this.

I but THE SUPREMES Mary Cindy Jean Lynda Scherrie and Susaye would make a great documentary, For the public, And they're fans, I would love to hear what the people behined the music has to say, About THE SUPREMES from the 70s, I also think the ladies would like to give they're of the story, A hours is better then nothing at all.[[smile)
    Please stay positive

olamaebarto Guest
    How DARE you???

Please Stay Positive!

olamaebarto Guest
    Please stay positive
    I think it could be the start of a film about the 70's Supremes. Florence was on Unsung and now there is a major motion picture in the works about her.

smark21 Guest
    A movie about the 70's Supremes will put the final nail in the coffin that is Diana Ross' career. Everyone in the world will hate Miss Ross and Berry Gordy when they see a movie depicting what they did to the 70's Supremes.

Hmm the Motown story is more complex. ALL of the acts suffered at one form or another when they were unable to find it independently like Marvin and Stevie. All of the older acts [[save for Diana, Marvin & Stevie) were basically screwed after 1972. Even Smokey struggled and he's only had occasional hits, which I find extraordinary despite his reputation. I noticed Smokey released a lot of albums between 1973 and 1987 with Motown, only about three of them had any chart action. Berry tried to be everything to everybody, he even squandered what could've been a great film career with Diana Ross because he wanted to get ALL the credit [[yes even at Ms. Ross' expense). Diana's career also suffered throughout the 1970s. Why? Besides from TV specials, movies, and performances, chart-wise she wasn't as important as someone like, say, Natalie Cole and Donna Summer. But people forget all of that. Motown in general suffered in the '70s though it was still making money off the success of the Jackson 5 [[until 1973), Marvin, the Commodores and Stevie.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    A movie about the 70's Supremes will put the final nail in the coffin that is Diana Ross' career. Everyone in the world will hate Miss Ross and Berry Gordy when they see a movie depicting what they did to the 70's Supremes.
    Please smark Diana Ross & Berry Gordy seem to truly be hated by you & a few others on this board and that sh*t is getting to be as tired as this cheap low budget film [[I hate to even call it a film cause it hasn't been made yet). Believe me Florence deserves a honest documentary instead of a jacked up Master P type project. I said it before if you want the truth about the Supremes,Tempts,Tops,Jackson 5,Marvin etc... it depends on who you talk to and where they are in life at that time. Are they set for life [[Diana,Smokey,Berry), working to retire [[Mary,Otis,Martha), scratching and surviving [[Dennis E.,Cindy B.,Bobby T.) or broke from the floor up [[I'm not going there we kinda know who?)

Quote Originally Posted by olamaebarto View Post
    I think it could be the start of a film about the 70's Supremes. Florence was on Unsung and now there is a major motion picture in the works about her.
    HA! She said major motion picture.

uptight Guest
    Like The Temptations, The Supremes had their various incarnations throughout the decades. It is easy to forget that The Supremes was one group -- especially if you're used to differentiating between the 60s group and the 70s group. If an Unsung episode on them is not appropriate, then an episode on Mary Wilson would be. Florence's was was well deserved.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by motown4ever View Post
    Please smark Diana Ross & Berry Gordy seem to truly be hated by you & a few others on this board and that sh*t is getting to be as tired as this cheap low budget film [[I hate to even call it a film cause it hasn't been made yet). Believe me Florence deserves a honest documentary instead of a jacked up Master P type project. I said it before if you want the truth about the Supremes,Tempts,Tops,Jackson 5,Marvin etc... it depends on who you talk to and where they are in life at that time. Are they set for life [[Diana,Smokey,Berry), working to retire [[Mary,Otis,Martha), scratching and surviving [[Dennis E.,Cindy B.,Bobby T.) or broke from the floor up [[I'm not going there we kinda know who?)
    Motown4ever, my tongue was placed firmly in cheek when I made the comment about how a 70's Supreme movie would make the world turn against Diana and Berry. I find the comments made by a few people in the Flo movie threads here about how the movie will destroy Ross and Gordy to be camp and over the top. Outside of die hard Supremes and Ross fan circles, most people just don't care--for them, the music of ht Supremes is hopefully a happy memory of their lives and that's a good place to be.

Again, I would love to see a UNSUNG on THE SUPREMES [[MARY WILSON CINDY BIRDSONG JEAN TERRELL LYNDA LAURENCE SCHERRIE PAYNE SUSAYE GREENE) from the 70s, I would love to hear what each lady take on what happen.Maybe UNSUNG could even interview BERRY GORDY, about what happen.[[to THE SUPREMES from the 70s) Maybe they could even interview[[producer) FRANK WILSON.
    Please stay positive

Florence Ballard coming back from the dead is a better possibility than Berry Gordy talking about what happened to the 70's Supremes.

MR. GORDY is a really nice person.[[today) I'v been in his company many times.And if UNSUNG wanted to interview MR. GORDY about THE SUPREMES from the 70s, I see no problem with it.It's not what people think, Life goes on.
    I'm sure MOTOWN would love to see a UNSUNG on THE SUPREMES, from the 70s.
    Remember, THE SUPREMES THE FINAL SESSIONS, THE MARY WILSON CINDY BIRDSONG SCHERRIE PAYNE and SUSAYE GREENE YEARS, Is coming.
    Please stay positive

MR. GORDY is a really nice person.[[today) I'v been in his company many times.And if UNSUNG wanted to interview MR. GORDY about THE SUPREMES from the 70s, I see no problem with it.It's not what people think, Life goes on.
    I'm sure MOTOWN would love to see a UNSUNG on THE SUPREMES, from the 70s.
    Remember, THE SUPREMES THE FINAL SESSIONS, THE MARY WILSON CINDY BIRDSONG SCHERRIE PAYNE and SUSAYE GREENE YEARS, Is coming.
    Please stay positive
    You are exactly right Redhot. I've been around Berry too and he is nice [[to me). He would do it if asked. He did afterall asked Jean what happened and why she left like she did in recent years. It's not like asking him about what happened to some earlier Supremes. It would be good PR for him personally if he were to be a part of something like this. I do know that he would praise them wholeheartedly.

Florence Ballard coming back from the dead is a better possibility than Berry Gordy talking about what happened to the 70's Supremes.
    That is not true at all.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That is not true at all.
    Marv, I think your'e right on the money with this remark. Berry Gordy made business decisions some good and some bad. He cared about his artist but in the end it was about business/money. The brotha wanted and made sure he got paid. Like it or not that's what business people do.
    We fans loved The Supremes, Tempts, Tops etc... and had our own favorite members and felt bad when Flo was gone, Paul was gone, David was gone...among other Motown stars for similiar or different reasons. Life's not fair and neither is show business.
    I'd like to hear his reasons on Mary & the Supremes after Diana left the group. Mary was right on a lot of matters & so was Berry. In the end Jean Terrell was a great singer but maybe not a lead singer for the Supremes. Her differences with Gordy,Motown,and Mary hurt the group. Mary good or bad was a team player with the Supremes she invested her heart & soul. Jean never felt that way I think about the group and Motown. That was what I think Berry felt or heard from those after she came on board. Just my opinion.

p.s. Marv you've been very nice lately are you trying to get Mary & Diana on Oprah...heheheh

That is not true at all.
    In your opinion.

I agree with you MOTOWN4EVER,[[ON EVERYTHING)Mary wanted to be fare with all THE SUPREMES, But some times life is not fare.In the beginning MR. GORDY wanted JEAN,Then he changed,And wanted SYREETA,I'm sure MARY felt JEAN was the right person, To be the lead singer of THE SUPREMES,So MARY alone, With CINDY would not give in to MR. GORDY[[on SYREETA)And JEAN TERRELL became the lead singer of THE SUPREMES, I love JEAN TERRELL,But she was not a team player,Like MARY WILSON CINDY BIRDSONG,Or any of the other SUPREMES,LYNDA LAURENCE SCHERRIE PAYNE or SUSAYE GREENE Were,JEAN was not happy.I don't think it had anything to do with Motown,Or MARY,i thank the work was too much for her, Always on the go, never at home,No time for family, JEAN and LYNDA left THE SUPREMES at the same time,[[not good)What a story,Mary regroup,Bring CINDY back, With new SUPREME SCHERRIE PAYNE, MARY invested her MONEY in this group,After JEAN and LYNDA left, Something went wrong, CINDY WAS GONE,[[for what ever reason)SUSAYE GREENE is the final SUPREME,What a story,
    THE SUPREMES[[MARY WILSON CINDY BIRDSONG JEAN TERRELL LYNDA LAURENCE SCHERRIE PAYNE and SUSAYE GREENE),FROM THE 70s UNSUNG
    Please stay positive

jonc Guest
    I agree with you MOTOWN4EVER,[[ON EVERYTHING)Mary wanted to be fare with all THE SUPREMES, But some times life is not fare.In the beginning MR. GORDY wanted JEAN,Then he changed,And wanted SYREETA,I'm sure MARY felt JEAN was the right person, To be the lead singer of THE SUPREMES,So MARY alone, With CINDY would not give in to MR. GORDY[[on SYREETA)And JEAN TERRELL became the lead singer of THE SUPREMES, I love JEAN TERRELL,But she was not a team player,Like MARY WILSON CINDY BIRDSONG,Or any of the other SUPREMES,LYNDA LAURENCE SCHERRIE PAYNE or SUSAYE GREENE Were,JEAN was not happy.I don't think it had anything to do with Motown,Or MARY,i thank the work was too much for her, Always on the go, never at home,No time for family, JEAN and LYNDA left THE SUPREMES at the same time,[[not good)What a story,Mary regroup,Bring CINDY back, With new SUPREME SCHERRIE PAYNE, MARY invested her MONEY in this group,After JEAN and LYNDA left, Something went wrong, CINDY WAS GONE,[[for what ever reason)SUSAYE GREENE is the final SUPREME,What a story,
    THE SUPREMES[[MARY WILSON CINDY BIRDSONG JEAN TERRELL LYNDA LAURENCE SCHERRIE PAYNE and SUSAYE GREENE),FROM THE 70s UNSUNG
    Please stay positive
    Can you be more specific Redhot and supply us with the dates that all former Supremes joined and left the group.

In your opinion.
    Uh no, it's what I know.

Diana Ross -1961-Jan. 1970
    Mary Wilson -1961-June 1977
    Florence Ballard -1961-June 1967
    Cindy Birdsong -July 1967-Spring 1972, October 1973-Jan. 1976
    Jean Terrell -January 1970- October 1973
    Lynda Laurence -Spring 1972-Ocotber 1973
    Scherrie Payne -October 1973-June 1977
    Susaye Greene -January 1976-June 1977

Quote Originally Posted by 8supremes View Post
    Diana Ross -1961-Jan. 1970
    Mary Wilson -1961-June 1977
    Florence Ballard -1961-June 1967
    Cindy Birdsong -July 1967-Spring 1972, October 1973-Jan. 1976
    Jean Terrell -January 1970- October 1973
    Lynda Laurence -Spring 1972-Ocotber 1973
    Scherrie Payne -October 1973-June 1977
    Susaye Greene -January 1976-June 1977
    Thank you 8Supremes for that timeline, but we need to also add Barbara Martin as she was an Original Supreme from 1961 - to late 1962.

jonc Guest
    Thank you 8Supremes for that timeline, but we need to also add Barbara Martin as she was an Original Supreme from 1961 - to late 1962.
    So Barbara was a Supreme for the same or maybe even less time than Lynda Laurence? Interesting!!!

And Cindy was in longer than Florence!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    And Cindy was in longer than Florence!
    Yeah, but Florence started the group, named it the Supremes and sang on all of their greatest hits. She is also the one that they are making a movie of her life story.............Love ya Cindy, but it is no contest! LOL!!!!
    Last edited by marv2; 11-24-2010 at 01:44 AM.

smark21 Guest
    Wasn't Lynda Lawrence a temporary Supreme, filling in for Cindy while she was on maternity leave? Should she even be classified as a "real Supreme"?