[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Diana Ross in "The Josephine Baker Story"

Came across this interesting 1990 advert for auction on eBay; Diana Ross starring in "The Josephine Baker Story".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-JOSEPHIN...4#ht_392wt_916

What happened?

Among other things, I suspect that the HBO production starring Lynn Whitfield might have stolen some of the spotlight from Diana's production, as it had been filmed during this period and aired early in 1991.

Unfortunately, by that time, Hollywood had viewed this project as a risk considering that Diana was rumoured to want a steeper budget [[once said to have been around $35 mil) than financiers were willing to support. It had been shopped around for years from Barry Diller at Paramount to Alan Carr [[producer of I believe "Grease" and the ill-fated Village People "Can't Stop the Music").
    And then Lynn Whitfield nailed it with an Emmy/Golden Globe winning performance that to me was very reminiscent of Diana's performance in "Lady Sings the Blues". It became a lost dream for Diana who seemed perfect for the role. She even once said that she would focus on another aspect of La Baker's life or possibly Tracee doing the role while she would produce.
    i loved Lynn's portrayal though and it was hard to argue that she hadn't captured the role though the music was overdubbed by an unknown singer. I had hoped they would release a soundtrack to the HBO film, alas, it never came to pass.

The unknown singer was Carolyn Dennis

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1180476/b..._=nm_ov_bio_sm

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    The unknown singer was Carolyn Dennis

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1180476/b..._=nm_ov_bio_sm
    Great. Thanks. She did a wonderful job! I often found myself singing along. HBO had been good about releasing soundtracks including a few years later "Introducing Dorothy Dandridge". I keep checking eBay every now and then to see if anyone had a CDR or anything.

Thanks all for the great info. I had heard that Diana had wanted to do the JB story; I guess I never knew it had gotten as far as it did.

In an interview, Diana said that Josephine offered to sell her life story to Berry for Diana to star in. But she wanted $1,000,000, and Berry didn't want to pay that.

In the 80s, there were some tabloid stories that had Diana joining the cast of DALLAS and being a female J.R.

In the 90s, I also remember reading columns that had Jack Lemmon wanting to do a film with Diana. I think it was called SILENCE, and it was the story of a mute woman and the man who was trying to help her communicate.
    Last edited by reese; 03-28-2014 at 01:49 PM.

Lulu Guest
    I'm a massive JBaker collector and friends with a couple of her sons. I'm relieved that Diana Ross did not make this film, as much as I enjoy her. Lynn Whitfield did a stellar job and I think Diana should have pursued other roles that took her out of the "biopic" genre.

Mary - No matter how big a star is, getting the go-ahead and necessary financing for a motion picture is difficult, especially once the studio system changed so radically that it was no longer promoting and looking after its stars. As already discussed, Ross' dream of a Baker film seemed to be happening by way of TNT for TV, with HBO also entering the arena with their own project starring Lynn Whitfield. Eventually, the Ross TNT project was no longer in the works. All that was left of Ross as Baker were a segment in one of her shows, as well as a TV appearance. And, of course, the great recreation photo of Ross as Baker that you came across by noted photographer Victor Skrebneski. Last year, there was mention that a Baker film was, once again, in the works, with its producers interested in Rihanna.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    I'm a massive JBaker collector and friends with a couple of her sons. I'm relieved that Diana Ross did not make this film, as much as I enjoy her. Lynn Whitfield did a stellar job and I think Diana should have pursued other roles that took her out of the "biopic" genre.
    I was fortunate to get to see La Baker in 1974. She had received rave reviews at her Carnegie Hall date. And since I was aware of Diana's interest in La Baker, I attended her suburban San Francisco date at the now defunct Circle Star Theater. My aunt, cousin and I attended. My ancestry is Creole and many of my elders spoke French. Unfortunately, there were only 6 people in the audience including us. But as a true professional, she came out and did the show. Like the scene in the movie where she asked the audience for their support during tough times, she spoke of her life with Joe Bouillon. In her 70s, her body was still killer. We met several of her sons at the show. I also had dinner at Chez Josephine in New York and met her sons then.
    Her "Live at Carnegie Hall" album is quite good and her vocals are very good. My former partner was also French and he spoke very fondly of her.
    I was surprised to learn that Diana actually lived in Paris for a year researching her life. I suspect that since awareness of her here in the states is rather low, a feature film with a huge budget was hard to negotiate. HBO reportedly made their movie for $8 million......filming primarily in Budapest because I guess Paris was cost prohibitive. Though I so wanted Diana to do it, considering her take on her in "An Evening with...", I absolutely loved Lynn Whitfield.
    One bit of information I could never find out is if HBO ever approached her, considering she had 2 successful specials with her. But if Diana insisted on a huge budget......all bets were probably off because its hard to find fault with the $8 million television movie.

Wasnt Diana mentioned for Dynastyrole that Diahann Carroll ended up playing, and the Witches of Eastwick?

And the Valaida Snow Story? And a few others. She, Berry, etc. were pretty picky. And I've seen her say she isn't very interested in doing anymore because she has no life while it is being filmed ~ all work, no play, no grandchildren etc.

Larry [[JR) Hagman was a long time friend of Ross and wanted her as a villainess on DALLAS, around the same time that he dueted with her [["You Are Everything") on her DIANA CBS special which also featured Michael Jackson [[Off The Wall period)..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPTyqw3HJCU
    Last edited by Jimi LaLumia; 03-28-2014 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    Larry [[JR) Hagman was a long time friend of Ross and wanted her as a villainess on DALLAS, around the same time that he dueted with her [["You Are Everything") on her DIANA CBS special which also featured Michael Jackson [[Off The Wall period)..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPTyqw3HJCU
    You know the woman is or was supposedly friends with Barbra Walters, Beyoncé, Oprah Winfrey, the Obamas, Berry, Smokey, Rick James, Larry Hagman, Michael Jackson, Lynda, Scherrie, Cindy, Gene Simmons, and a bunch of others. The only person she hasn't been friends with at times is Mary who is the person that seems to WANT her to be a friend. I see on Mary's FB page she wishes Diana a Happy Birthday with love.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    You know the woman is or was supposedly friends with Barbra Walters, Beyoncé, Oprah Winfrey, the Obamas, Berry, Smokey, Rick James, Larry Hagman, Michael Jackson, Lynda, Scherrie, Cindy, Gene Simmons, and a bunch of others. The only person she hasn't been friends with at times is Mary who is the person that seems to WANT her to be a friend. I see on Mary's FB page she wishes Diana a Happy Birthday with love.
    You always use to list Aretha Franklin as Diane's friend until I showed you that that was a lie. She does not have ANY friends why do you refuse to believe that? To be a friend, you have to be friend-like and Diane does NOT understand that concept. Oh well...........hehehehehehehehe!

Oh and Lynn Whitfield did an incredible job as Josephine Baker. I don't think anyone could have done a better job! She was awesome in that movie.
    Last edited by marv2; 03-29-2014 at 12:20 AM.

ross is a great pop singer, but no actress ... i had such a hard time believing her as billie holliday, but never any problem watching her perform with the supremes.

Lynn Whitfield was the best choice for the role, if only for her physical resemblance to La Baker.

I remember reading an anecdote, possibly in one of Mary Wilson's books or possibly in one about Baker, where La Baker met Wilson, took her by the chin, turned her head this way and that, and said, "She DOES look a little like me," and then strutted on without another word. Does anyone else remember this story? Mary also got herself up in Baker drag for a photo session but I never saw much of a resemblance. Still, she looked more like her than Ross did. All the same, Whitfield was the best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Lynn Whitfield was the best choice for the role, if only for her physical resemblance to La Baker.

I remember reading an anecdote, possibly in one of Mary Wilson's books or possibly in one about Baker, where La Baker met Wilson, took her by the chin, turned her head this way and that, and said, "She DOES look a little like me," and then strutted on without another word. Does anyone else remember this story? Mary also got herself up in Baker drag for a photo session but I never saw much of a resemblance. Still, she looked more like her than Ross did. All the same, Whitfield was the best choice.
    Mary Wilson has the strongest and sexiest and most beutiful chin in show business and I cant wait to see Marys chin on the big screen when her movie golden shoe is released this year.

fondly,

Roberta

Lynn Whitfield was good but the film has been forgotten. Diana would have given it longevity as La Baker deserves. Diana did not have to look like LaBaker or Lady Day to make their lives memorable.

I remember this movie well and it is because Lynn Whitfield's beauty and talent......she was sexy!!! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post

I think that's in one of Mary's books, maybe even in the photo caption for the photo itself. I don't really seem much of a resemblance; Mary's face is much fuller than was Baker's. That being said though, I've always felt Mary's features have kind of a chameleon quality; with different hair and makeup her looks change a great deal and she can fashion herself very differently as she wishes to or the need arises.

Thanks to Google, I did find the exact reference on page 168 of "Supreme Faith."

Mary says she was introduced to Baker by Geoffrey Holder, and when Baker met her, she commented to Geoffrey "You were right. She does look like me."

http://books.google.com/books?id=DOZ...0baker&f=false

Lyn Whitfield has the same strong chin as Mary Wilson although I prefer Marys chin which Im looking forward to seeing in Golden Shoe when it come to theaters.

Roberta

what is golden shoe?

what is golden shoe?
    It's one of the two recent films Mary Wilson is featured in.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It's one of the two recent films Mary Wilson is featured in.
    This will almost certainly give us a "new" definition of the word "feature" too.

This will almost certainly give us a "new" definition of the word "feature" too.
    Well Mary Wilson will be acting with some real top stars in Golden shoe such as Peter DeLuise and Eric Roberts and Montel Wiliams.
    i am looking forward to seeing Mary in the movie theater. I dont see her second movie though on the usually reliable movie database.

this is from they site.

Mary Wilson actress.
    2014 Golden Shoes [[post-production) Mrs. Donna King
    1999 Jackie's Back! [[TV Movie) Vesta Crotchley [[Jackie's Third Grade Teacher)
    1983 Tiger Town [[TV Movie) National Anthem Singer

oops I just turn this Diane Ross thread into a Mary Wilson thread.

well, Mary so very wants to be Ross.. Ross wanted to do the "Baker" story, so Mary is suddenly Baker..Ross nominated for an Academy Award as Billie Holiday, so Mary now sings "Strange Fruit"... need I go on?.. sort of tragic in a demented kind of way..

well, Mary so very wants to be Ross.. Ross wanted to do the "Baker" story, so Mary is suddenly Baker..Ross nominated for an Academy Award as Billie Holiday, so Mary now sings "Strange Fruit"... need I go on?.. sort of tragic in a demented kind of way..
    I always thought her interest in Baker was rather "borrowed" as well. I didn't know she sang "Strange Fruit" though.

it's been mentioned here..like I said,kind of sad..

To be fair although Diane Ross excel on Strange Fruit it isnt exclusivly Dianes song so Mary has the right to sing it and the clip ive heard of Mary is real good but not near as good as Miss Rosses version imo.

Personally I would love to hear the First lady of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves record Strange Fruit in fact miss Martha has the chops to do an entire CD of jazz and blues imo.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I think that's in one of Mary's books, maybe even in the photo caption for the photo itself. I don't really seem much of a resemblance; Mary's face is much fuller than was Baker's. That being said though, I've always felt Mary's features have kind of a chameleon quality; with different hair and makeup her looks change a great deal and she can fashion herself very differently as she wishes to or the need arises.
    Im trying to message you Kenneth dear but your inbox seem to be full.

Fondly,

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Im trying to message you Kenneth dear but your inbox seem to be full.

Fondly,

Roberta
    Oops! Will remedy that post haste.

To be fair although Diane Ross excel on Strange Fruit it isnt exclusivly Dianes song so Mary has the right to sing it and the clip ive heard of Mary is real good but not near as good as Miss Rosses version imo.

Personally I would love to hear the First lady of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves record Strange Fruit in fact miss Martha has the chops to do an entire CD of jazz and blues imo.

Roberta
    She absolutely should. I'm amazed no one has ever recorded her in a jazz vein.

Roberta
    Martha used to include Holiday's "God Bless the Child" in her act.
    I haven't see her live show in some years now, so I'm not sure if she still does.
    She did a very good job on it.

supremester Guest
    How do you know who she is is/not friendly with? Does she text you? Do you have spies? When Debbie Allen came up to say hi to freda, scherrie & Lynda, Evan Ross walked by and tapped her and said hi and kept walking then she turned to him and said she had something for him and would drop it off on Tues. She explained they have a movie night every tues. Was that all an elaborate act to make you look bad? It worked. But, still, I'd like to buy you lunch or coffee. I'll be at 261 5th ave tomorrow if you are in the neighborhood. Been a busy 4 days but still I kept hoping I'd bum,p into you in the theatre district. Saw Raisin in the Sun [[Denzel!!) Hedwig & Your angry Inch [[Doogie!) Realistic Joneses [[Mike C Hall/David Fisher - my 14th husband) Bridges of Blaine County.......didn't see you : [[

Anyway, you have been wrong about other things besiudes Miss ross' social network - I still love you. Will I see you at Queen Ree in JUne? or at Diety Diana?
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You always use to list Aretha Franklin as Diane's friend until I showed you that that was a lie. She does not have ANY friends why do you refuse to believe that? To be a friend, you have to be friend-like and Diane does NOT understand that concept. Oh well...........hehehehehehehehe!

Oh and Lynn Whitfield did an incredible job as Josephine Baker. I don't think anyone could have done a better job! She was awesome in that movie.

smark21 Guest
    Like a lot of people here at this forum, Mary Wilson has a Diana Ross fixation, but Strange Fruit has never been the exclusive property of Billie HOlliday and Diana Ross. Nina Simone often performed the song during her career, as did Jeff Buckley. And given the Trayvon Martin verdict, perhaps more singers should be tackling that song as it sadly still holds relevance in 2014.
    Last edited by smark21; 03-31-2014 at 07:51 AM.

did someone mention Dedwig and the Angry Investors?...nice 'borrow' of the 1995 autobiography "Man Enough To Be A Woman " by Jayne [[formerly known as Wayne) County.. what a dull, lifeless piece of garbage of a show..

Just because someone has a passion for an artist be it The Grateful Dead, The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Bob Dylan or Diana Ross, as the long as that person handles other key responsibilities in their personal life and doesn't ask of others or infringe on others, what business is it of mine.
    What is more disturbing is when someone seems committed to always finding criticism of others as if they possess the perfect blueprint for how everyone should conduct their lives. That is something I hope we get from the nurturing of our parents, the teachings of spiritual and/or religious lessons and something as simple as The Golden Rule, "do onto others as you would have them do on to you". Life is a journey where hopefully we grow and expand from our mistakes, as well as, the things that inspire us.
    After all, who am I to tell anyone how they should conduct their lives when I am but a mere mortal trying to understand, in our few short years here on earth, the meaning of life and how I can live it to the best of my abilities.
    One can only say that if a person[[s) and/or situation is so arduous, then why suffer fools gladly.

This reminds me of when Whitney Houston was campaigning hard to portray Dorothy Dandridge on screen [[and not the TV version it ended up being by Halle Berry) and then got depressed when that role left her grabs. Diana showed the same commitment to Josephine.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    This reminds me of when Whitney Houston was campaigning hard to portray Dorothy Dandridge on screen [[and not the TV version it ended up being by Halle Berry) and then got depressed when that role left her grabs. Diana showed the same commitment to Josephine.
    Yeah the same way Stephanie Mills probably had commitment to play Dorothy in the Wiz.......

What is more disturbing is when someone seems committed to always finding criticism of others as if they possess the perfect blueprint for how everyone should conduct their lives. That is something I hope we get from the nurturing of our parents, the teachings of spiritual and/or religious lessons and something as simple as The Golden Rule, "do onto others as you would have them do on to you". Life is a journey where hopefully we grow and expand from our mistakes, as well as, the things that inspire us.

Two very good posts.

Lots of movies never get made; lots of rotten movies do very well and a lot of good movies fizzle.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

Streisand shopped "Yentl" around for 15 years before it was finally green lit. I go to the movies once or twice a month, but, I'm surprised at the number of friends and co-workers that tell them that they don't go to the movies. Even after Whitney's tragic death, "Sparkle" only made less than $25 mil,not factoring marketing and advertising costs. Michael's "This is It" did much better thankfully. But they made a spark strategic move by trumpeting a very limited [[was it 2 weeks) run in theaters. It gave the movie a sense of urgency. I kinda thought that Whitney and Michael were fairly synonymous in popularity. Whitney's new Greatest Hits barely got to 500k. It may be closer to 750k now. Whereas, "michael", the unreleased album sold several million units. It could be argued that there was high passion for both artists. But then I recently read that Michael's estate may still be in the red, due to outstanding loans and debts.

Both artists were "old". There is generally, to the public, less interest overall in female singers. Whitney was way past her prime, had lost her voice and other like Beyoncé and Alicia Keys and Katy Perry had taken her place.

But I think it is partly a sexist attitude that causes the discrepancy between Whitney and Michael and maybe he just stood up to time better.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Came across this interesting 1990 advert for auction on eBay; Diana Ross starring in "The Josephine Baker Story".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-JOSEPHIN...4#ht_392wt_916

What happened?
    Check out this interview....at about 7:20 from the lady herself

Two very good posts.

Lots of movies never get made; lots of rotten movies do very well and a lot of good movies fizzle.
    Interesting.........in that you were one that proclaimed several times in the past on this forum that you do not believe in God! You use to upset Carlo all the time with your blasphemies........

Good find Xtown
    Good Video

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Check out this interview....at about 7:20 from the lady herself

The Des O'Connor interview with Diana is a personal favorite. She always seems so much more relaxed during international interviews.....and often more revealing.

Bokiluis................I replied to your private message but you mailbox is full; you need to go clear out some messages and maybe some sent ones; and then I'll reply.

Great interview; she was at a peak; she often uses that line "I'm happy to be here".