[REMOVE ADS]

The Dynamic Superiors

Any opinions on the CD debut of the group's first two Motown albums? I wasn't interested in 1975, although Shoe Shoe Shine is an overlooked classic. The disc is on David Nathan's Soul Music. Com classics. The notes are good, but they don't tell you much about the group members' whereabout's these days. I know Tony Washington is deceased.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown_M_1056 View Post
    Any opinions on the CD debut of the group's first two Motown albums? I wasn't interested in 1975, although Shoe Shoe Shine is an overlooked classic. The disc is on David Nathan's Soul Music. Com classics. The notes are good, but they don't tell you much about the group members' whereabout's these days. I know Tony Washington is deceased.
    The Dynamic Superiors were Seventies Motown, which is a lot less popular on the forum than the Sixties Motown classics. The group's albums were recorded in New York, so there's no Detroit sound here. So much of the group's vocal harmonies were built around Tony Washington's falsetto, which tends to grate on the ears after a while. It was very much like Sylvester's piercing voice which has to be taken in small doses.

I listened to the CD recently, and found that I did begin to switch off after about track 10 or so.

I was surprised that Tony Washington's voice was so good - and very similar to the late but fantastic Sylvester. I adored Sylvester - and his live album 'living proof' is probably one of the very few live albums I'll ever listen to. Sylvester was such a good performer - and he's been missed now for almost 22 years since that fateful day in December 1988.

I haven't gotten the CD's yet but since I have their catolog on vinyl I can say that they were pretty good, but after Nick & Val,
    I think they should have had diffferent producers which certainly would have impacted the way their music was heard. Smokey probably would have been a good choice. One of my favorite songs by them is the classic "Leave It Alone".

I agree, the sound does start to grate over a while. Mind you [[shame) I always felt the same with Smokey Robinson. I CANNOT sit through a whole album, with, or without The Miracles. Except, a Greatest Hits, best of. I know, he is a fantastic writer,producer,performer,singer et al. I recently bought the Motown Solo albums vol 1, and I have only managed to play it twice, all the way through. I DO, however, play selected tracks from my extensive collection of his work very often. Just not all together, at the same time. Does that sound shameful? I hope not. I love Smokey, and the Dynamics have left some very, very great music behind. BUT, too much of a good thing hurts, yes?..Paulo XXXX

..George Spann reformed the group in 2006 with ex - Flamingo members -dont know what happened to the original guys..

I just recieved my copy today. Honestly after reading the liner notes there is in my opinion a little too much information about Mr. Washingtons lifestyle, good info on the background of the group[[The Guy Draper connection was interesting), and nothing regarding the rest of the groups career. It's almost as though they did the 2 albums and disappeared, according to the notes. That said, I adore A+S and feel that this this represents among their finest production efforts and both albums were done in a total of 8 days....incredible!

Quote Originally Posted by Motown4Ever518 View Post
    I just recieved my copy today. Honestly after reading the liner notes there is in my opinion a little too much information about Mr. Washingtons lifestyle, good info on the background of the group[[The Guy Draper connection was interesting), and nothing regarding the rest of the groups career. It's almost as though they did the 2 albums and disappeared, according to the notes. That said, I adore A+S and feel that this this represents among their finest production efforts and both albums were done in a total of 8 days....incredible!
    You must have a different set of liner notes to me - I can't see much about his lifestyle at all in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown4Ever518 View Post
    The group had two other albums for Motown "You Name It" and "Give & Take". The latter produced by HDH Productions. I am hoping these also get released on CD. I do believe it is important to acknowledge that fact that Mr. Washington was openly gay and I applaud Motown for not trying to hide that fact [[note album covers).

Leave It Alone is beutiful..Paulo xxxx

Also nice is "Feeling Mellow" from "Pure Pleasure."

I have 4 LP's and 1 CD by The Dynamic Superiors. Their first LP "Pure Pleasure" has always been my favorite. "Deception" and "Face The Music" were my two Jams because I believe then and now they were message songs. It is a shame they are not posted on YouTube. I only got the opportunity to see them perform once and I loved it but now I can't remember who they opened for because The Dynmaic Superiors were the talk of the night.

uptight Guest
    On a previous thread about this group, I thought one poster was kidding about the idea that the legs and hands "bathtub" cover might have been those of the lead singer's. But the more I think about it, I believe it is him in the photo. I remember my classroom in grade school had a holiday party, the Pure Pleasure album was among others for music. We giggled because we thought it was a naked woman. I don't have a copy of it and can't see the cover up close. But coming across it in record stores over the years, there seemed to be enough stubble on those legs... LOL

Tony Washington, himself, told us he did not pose for the picture on the cover and it is not him.

uptight Guest
    Oh, it's must be one of the other guys in the group. Just kidding. Thanks John.