[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross: The RCA years and the recent Funkytowngrooves expanded editions

Though mentioned in various prior threads, I thought it would be interesting to begin a thread dedicated to Ms. Ross’ RCA years, so wonderfully re-mastered and expanded by Funkytowngrooves. I think FTG has done a great job with these releases; they sound great and the additional material yields some real treasures. Though a longtime Diana fan [[“TCB”was my springboard) I did not buy the RCA albums. It’s been a wonderful surprise just how fantastic these albums are, and how many individual songs “woulda-shoulda-coulda”been hits. More than anything I love hearing how expertly Diana sings EVERYTHING! I feel that the non-blockbuster status of these albums on their original release dates is due, more than anything else, to the fact that Ms. Ross had been in the public eye for 2 decades already with several phases of ebb-and-flow to her recording career. Sometimes the general public just moves on to new things. And of course, being over 40 does not help when trying to have hit records! I’d love to know what everyone else thinks of the RCA years.
    Last edited by RobertZ; 11-07-2014 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Spacing issues

It's nice to have the expanded CDs but it only reaffirms for me how underwhelming the RCA years were, following on the heels of her peak Motown years. The songs range from fluff to nonsense, and only a small bit of it is listenable. I was a teenager during these years so I fully appreciated the ear-candy of "Muscles", "Swept Away" or "Pieces of Ice" at the time. But listening to that mess now it just doesn't measure up to even her most mediocre Motown material.

I loved her RCA material. Love the new expanded editions. During her RCA period she had 2 Gold albums and 1 Platinum. So she did have some major success with RCA. She also had 4 billboard top ten singles.

I did not like Silk Electric or Ross much at all. Red Hot Rhythm and Blues and Eaten Alive contain some of the best Diana Ross performances - Summertime, I Love Being in Love with You, Chain Reaction, Love On the Line. Swept Away and Why Do Fools Fall in Love were commercial successes.

Silk Electric was also a commercial success. It was certified gold. I like the RCA years. Some of my favorite songs are from this era.

I think those who knew those old Motown albums had a hard time accepting the RCA years. With the exception of her hits at RCA none of these albums hold up very well like her Motown albums do. Dirty Looks , Swept Away, and Chain Reaction [[which I think as a song still holds up well today and the video which is her best) are my favorite songs of hers during this period. The only other good thing to come out of this is the video Pieces Of Ice showed what a good dancer she was. That drugged out state looking cover for the Ross album was a big mistake like Working Overtime. She tried to be too relevant. Diana Ross to me was like Natalie Cole, Dionne Warwick they didnt try to change their look and Ross was known for gowns and glamour she should have kept it that way. She had already proven she was more than a singer, actress, and fashion designer. Not that she needed to but in retrospect I wish Diana Ross had done more films and gotten more of her sketches [[fashio) on the runway. She is an ICON but there was much more to her than her voice and there was NO reason to compare her to Streisand.

I'm happy to see that the RCA years are being appreciated. These albums meant a lot to Diana and I am so impressed at the musicianship and sophistication as well as the amazing quality of Diana's singing. I'm finding the albums all hold up well and make great listening even decades later! They've become my Friday night/weekend go-to music.

Regarding Swept Away Funkytowngrooves re-release, I discovered that there is an error on this remaster. The Touch by Touch 12'' Instrumental on cd 2 it is not an instrumental but a shorter vocal edit of the 12" Single Mix that clocks in at 4:04.
    Anyone knows if there are more errors like that in the expanded editions?

I like this era, too, listening to some of it recently. I guess the only thing that I'm not real fond of is the drum machine, but that was what was going on then. I really liked "Chain Reaction" [[I think Barry Gibb had a hand in writing/production there), as well as the "Diana" album. She transitioned out of Supremes stuff [[which I really like) quite well. She has a good voice for 80's soul/funk, IMO.